Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is There A Mistake On The 59 Dublin Bus timetable?

• 09-09-2017 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I was just looking at the 59 Dublin Bus timetable. It goes every hour on the :30 from Killiney. According to the timetable on the Dublin Bus website, there is no 19:30 departure from Killiney. Is this a mistake on the website or is there is a 2-hour gap in the evening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'd imagine it's 2h gap as it's on both timetabless in either direction. Is this the Sunday timetable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭KD345

I was just looking at the 59 Dublin Bus timetable. It goes every hour on the :30 from Killiney. According to the timetable on the Dublin Bus website, there is no 19:30 departure from Killiney. Is this a mistake on the website or is there is a 2-hour gap in the evening?

I presume you mean the Sunday timetable?

It is correct, there is a gap of two hours in both directions on a Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Yeah, I looked again and realized. They'll run an empty bus at 23:30 but they won't at 19:30.

Yeah, I looked again and realized. They'll run an empty bus at 23:30 but they won't at 19:30.

I would guess this is an operational issue. There is possibly one bus and two drivers assigned to the 59 on a Sunday and the timetable gap is to facilitate the second driver's break, which in turn, allows them work a longer shift until after Midnight. It's not perfect, but may have been all that funding could allow when creating the timetable.

The 23:30 from Killiney is the 23:00 from Dun Laoghaire which would not be empty. What you're suggesting by canceling the last bus would mean the final 59 running at 22:00 from Dun Laoghaire. I don't think this is a good option.

Perhaps when this route changes operator next year the NTA will increase the funding and timetable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Supposed to be a 35% increase in the frequency of the Go-Ahead routes so I'd say it's quite likely.

I'd say it's an operational issue for sure, there used to be instances on Phibsborough routes in the past where a bus would operate in service from the city center on the 38 routes whilst a bus ran from the garage empty. The in service bus dropped their load and ran back to the depot empty and the other bus resumed service, pretty much all of those practices were removed after Network Direct however to remove that dead mileage.

I assume the reason the 59 is like it is may well be to remove dead mileage that would be needed if they didn't have the gap.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »

I assume the reason the 59 is like it is may well be to remove dead mileage that would be needed if they didn't have the gap.

Exactly, and with this driver breaking in Dun Laoghaire it eliminates the dead mileage as the bus is just parked up for an hour rather than driving out of service to Donnybrook and back again.

Supposed to be a 35% increase in the frequency of the Go-Ahead routes so I'd say it's quite likely.

I'd say it's an operational issue for sure, there used to be instances on Phibsborough routes in the past where a bus would operate in service from the city center on the 38 routes whilst a bus ran from the garage empty. The in service bus dropped their load and ran back to the depot empty and the other bus resumed service, pretty much all of those practices were removed after Network Direct however to remove that dead mileage.

Would it cost an awful to put a third driver on the 59 perhaps a spare or someone on OT. Without the need to dead run. Picture this scenario

Driver A takes a 46a from Donnybrook as a passenger. Does a return trip to/from Killiney while Driver B takes an hours break. Driver B then takes a break for an hour while Driver A does a return trip. Currently does the driver take his/her break in DL or does he/she go back to Donnybrook. Obivously if there was to be only an hours break it wouldn't be worth the drivers while to go back to Donnybrook to take it.

But tbh with you does the 59 justify any extra investment. Its a local route thats not heavily used there plenty other routes that that are up for twndering that could do with more investment. The 75 could do with an increase in frequency to maybe every 20mins, the 17 could do with a frequency espeically on Sundays and the 114 could do with an increase in frequency and a Sunday service.

All these are things I would do before adding additional capacity on a route with low patronage like the 59.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Could easily be solved by a 46a or 75 driver getting to D/L and work a trip out and back on the 59 and then back onto 46a or 75.... or any of the other buses out that way.

Used to be done with 46a/63 on Sunday or Saturday.

Just a question for a DB driver or anyone in the know is there a canteen or any other staff facilities in DL for a driver to take a break. I've seen some drivers popping into a hut in the Dart station there so do IE let them use their canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Just a question for a DB driver or anyone in the know is there a canteen or any other staff facilities in DL for a driver to take a break. I've seen some drivers popping into a hut in the Dart station there so do IE let them use their canteen.

Db has their own facilities there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Stephen15 wrote: »

yeah there is a was a designated room with fridge, microwave and hot water boiler for them to use.

liger wrote: »
    Could easily be solved by a 46a or 75 driver getting to D/L and work a trip out and back on the 59 and then back onto 46a or 75.... or any of the other buses out that way.

Used to be done with 46a/63 on Sunday or Saturday.

Not possible when the buses are tendered out to Go Ahead. Unless you got 45a, 63 or 75 to share the routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think you're taking that commitment far too literally.

I don't expect every route to see frequency increases - only where it is merited.

The frequency on the 59 is more than adequate for the market it serves.

The 111 would be the route that could probably deserve a frequency increase.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I think you're taking that commitment far too literally.

I don't expect every route to see frequency increases - only where it is merited.

The frequency on the 59 is more than adequate for the market it serves.

The 111 would be the route that could probably deserve a frequency increase.

Perhaps the 111 and the 114 could both do with a Sunday timetable. The 111 dosen't really that big a frequency its currently hourly Mon-Sat. The 114 on other hand could with a big frequency increase Mon-Sat theres no consistency in the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

The real reason for this back in the DB days was because there were two drivers for the day. The first would report at about 9 in the garage and bring the bus out and do a few runs on the 59. Another driver would take the bus at Dún Laoghaire at 14:30 and do runs up and down till last bus. Having his break during the gap in serivce.

Advertisement