Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HKC alarm monitoring charge.

• 12-11-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭

We're almost a year with our HKC alarm, it's working fine, the app is fine, we're pleased with the piece of mind. As the year is almost up we will have to renew the (self) monitoring side of things, I believe HKC charge, but we can't go direct to them. So you would think it would be a phone call to the company who installed it, be given a price, we pay and away we go, the (self) monitoring continues.

Well we have tried at least half a dozen times and apart from the company trying to send someone to service the alarm more than once, we can't get an answer from them or quote. We don't want, need, or can afford a service.

Is it always this difficult a process?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Sorry I am confused, when the HKC Securecomm App is being commissioned on the Server, then the relevant IBAN and BIC are put in then.
    How did you pay for this service initially?
    Your contract period at the beginning with HKC is 24 months.
    Also it is not monitoring as such, it is self notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

kub wrote: »
    Sorry I am confused, when the HKC Securecomm App is being commissioned on the Server, then the relevant IBAN and BIC are put in then.
    How did you pay for this service initially?
    Your contract period at the beginning with HKC is 24 months.
    Also it is not monitoring as such, it is self notification.

Not as confused as we are! We paid for the alarm and "1 year self monitoring" (so presumably that is the same as self notification.) When it was installed they obviously input the bank details of their company because we never gave them any bank details at all.

So because we were informed it was 1 year self monitoring when we had the alarm installed we presumed we'd need to renew any such deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How much were you paying? Would they be taking a service fee to pay the self monitoring on your behalf if you didn't use your own details? We pay €5.49 a month directly to HKC and recieve invoices each month. It would be €65.88 a year.

Anything in the paperwork or their website that requires them to come out to activate your self monitoring? No luck contacting HKC directly to activate?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    How much were you paying? Would they be taking a service fee to pay the self monitoring on your behalf if you didn't use your own details? We pay €5.49 a month directly to HKC and recieve invoices each month. It would be €65.88 a year.

Anything in the paperwork or their website that requires them to come out to activate your self monitoring? No luck contacting HKC directly to activate?

It's still active at the moment anyway, we were just being proactive, or trying at least. We just paid the once off price for installation of the alarm, so presumably they included the cost of monitoring (or whatever is appropriate way of describing it) in their quote.

Part of the issue with communication, for us anyway I think, is the company we used just subcontracts all their work out. Even the company logo on the app is a different company from the one we paid to install the alarm.

I wasn't aware we could contact HKC direct tbh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tom I'm sure you can ring HKC yourself. As a note please don't name the business if asked here.
    You would also need to check your contract with that company. You may need to put them on notice if you aim to leave them. If you've no contract you may wish to let them know you want to move away from them anyway.

You could stay with the firm for maintenance, but remove them from the hkc maintenance process.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Tom I'm sure you can ring HKC yourself. As a note please don't name the business if asked here.
    You would also need to check your contract with that company. You may need to put them on notice if you aim to leave them. If you've no contract you may wish to let them know you want to move away from them anyway.

You could stay with the firm for maintenance, but remove them from the hkc maintenance process.

Ah yeah I knew not to name them, not really relevant anyway. We don't have a contract but we'll see what they come back with, otherwise I'll give HKC a buzz. No hurry anyway while I still have access to the app and It's less important than it used to be (though I'd be keen to keep it) since our CCTV gives us notifications of anyone around the house now anyway.

Advertisement