Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backup solution

• 30-10-2018 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a backup solution for 2x local Centos home servers and a remote one running Ubuntu. Something server -> client would be ideal I can run the server on one of the machines as it has an empty 6TB sata. If the server runs in docker would be even better. Just wondering what people are using. Must be open source and preferably free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There are a few or more rsync GUI frontends, or use the command line.

Luckybackup
    syncbackup
    grsync

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

There are a few or more rsync GUI frontends, or use the command line.

Luckybackup
    syncbackup
    grsync

Not for files. I'm looking for system and partition backup images similar to what Acronis does

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

At the risk of missing the point entirely... I have a few Raspberry Pis running Raspbian OS. I can make an image of the space occupied on the SD Card even with the OS running on it using a script: image-backup, that uses fdisk and rsync behind the scenes. I save the image file to a mounted USB key. You could use an approach like that and cronjob it nightly.

The original thread about that is here:
    image-backup in Raspberry Pi Thread

Flex

Not for files. I'm looking for system and partition backup images similar to what Acronis does

I have never used Acronis so its reference is meaningless to me.

When I back up my 'system' that means to me that I make a copy of all system files.
    If I want to back up a 'partition' that can have several different meanings ... do I want to backup the partition table?
    Do I want to backup the files on a partition?
    Do I want to make a duplicate partition including files?
    etc.
    I can run a script on this present install that will produce an ISO which contains an image of the current install which can be used to reinstall this 'snapshot' on other PCs.

There are lots of different tools for slightly different purposes.

It is not clear what you hope to achieve, or having done it how you wish to use the result.

I have never used Acronis so its reference is meaningless to me.

When I back up my 'system' that means to me that I make a copy of all system files.
    If I want to back up a 'partition' that can have several different meanings ... do I want to backup the partition table?
    Do I want to backup the files on a partition?
    Do I want to make a duplicate partition including files?
    etc.
    I can run a script on this present install that will produce an ISO which contains an image of the current install which can be used to reinstall this 'snapshot' on other PCs.

There are lots of different tools for slightly different purposes.

It is not clear what you hope to achieve, or having done it how you wish to use the result.

Yeah it's the incremental ISO of the current install you describe above is what I want to do.

I've all software on one Centos server running in docker and the docker configs in /opt which is already on raid so I'm only really looking at backing up the the OS on this one.

The other Centos server is running Zoneminder for CCTV recording which took a lot of configuring and tweaking to get it to where it is, I'd not like to have to go through all this again.

The remote server is a Hetzner server I use as a download box which also runs Emby server. All software is running in docker. It already has raid and a local backup plan but I'd like to have a complete back up locally as I plan on moving to a local server when FTTH is available to someone I know.

• Advertisement

Maybe Clonezilla (which I no longer use) would do what you need ..... there is a server edition as well as a Live media edition.
    http://clonezilla.org
    http://clonezilla.nchc.org.tw

or you might find something more appropriate here
    https://www.ubuntupit.com/top-15-free-open-source-backup-software-for-linux/
    or here
    https://www.ostechnix.com/top-5-backup-tools-linux/

I have never used Bacula which would seem to be favourite for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Two other options to consider:

Tarsnap and Dirvish
    The first one is an encrypted off-site backup service, it's not free, but it might be worth considering. The second one needs a server but should run on any UNIX-alike system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

If it's a docker container you want to backup, aren't there tools in docker to do that? I've only played around with docker, never deployed in a real world scenario.

A quick google leads me to something like this. I would have expected something like this rather than the traditional backup apps [like Bacula & Amanda]... but as I said, my experience here is extremely limited.

croo wrote: »
    If it's a docker container you want to backup, aren't there tools in docker to do that? I've only played around with docker, never deployed in a real world scenario.

A quick google leads me to something like this. I would have expected something like this rather than the traditional backup apps [like Bacula & Amanda]... but as I said, my experience here is extremely limited.

No, docker data and configs are all external to the docker containers, which makes them easily disposable to pull down new updated versions. It's what makes docker so great. These are all in /opt which is already on a raid. I'm not looking to back this up. I'm looking to back up the system OS itself. The docker host machine isn't the critical one, it's more the Zoneminder CCTV server as it was a pain to get fully configured

I think I'll have a go with Bacula later, seems to be what I need

Advertisement