Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career change

• 30-10-2017 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone, I am a substitute primary teacher and I am getting increasingly frustrated and disillusioned working in this job. It has reached a point now where I don't feel confident or comfortable working as a teacher anymore. Has anyone ever attempted a career change from primary teaching to another field? Are my skills transferable?

I am completely open to suggestions. I would prefer not to go back to college but I am open to doing night courses/part time etc

Please help!

Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,746 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Well what would you like to do? I'm sure plenty of people have changed career path, but you need to think about what YOU would like to do, not what others have done.

Is there any job that you think you might enjoy? Any area you're specifically interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rkristina

Thanks for your reply. I think I'd like to do something in the education field- maybe resource management or courses for teachers. But I'm also really interested in fashion - but I've no idea how to get into either rid those fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Rkristina wrote:
    Hi everyone, I am a substitute primary teacher and I am getting increasingly frustrated and disillusioned working in this job. It has reached a point now where I don't feel confident or comfortable working as a teacher anymore. Has anyone ever attempted a career change from primary teaching to another field? Are my skills transferable?

How long are you out? It took me 5yrs to get sorted with a permanent job but got there in the end with a lovely school.

Think long and hard before you walk away. Two summers in a row I considered it but glad I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Is it the lack of permanent employment or the actual day to day teaching that's causing these feelings?
    Securing a job will happen, it can take time but getting your face into as many schools as you can as a sub could help to increase your chances should you apply for a job in these schools.
    If it's the day to day teaching, it can be difficult to find joy in subbing in lots of different schools/classes. You don't get to know the kids or see things through/the progress that they make. It may not feel that you have support as you might not get to know other staff members all that well. It can be frustrating trying to get to know each school and their policies etc.
    Once you secure a job, be it temporary or permanent, those feelings may change. You will have 'your own' class and become part of a team. You get to see things through and explore different topics, teaching methods, programs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rkristina

Tess it's the day to day teaching that's wearing me down. I don't have the confidence to stand up in front of a class every day. And all of the work that goes on behind the scenes and dealing with parents etc. I don't feel like it's the job for me. But I don't know how to move out of it. Or where to go next. I'm still interested in the education sector and mental health and wellbeing so if I could do something behind the scenes such as resource development that might be more my scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 BBB25

Hi, I’m also a teacher trying to change to a different career. Very similar situation as you in not sure if my skills are transferable. I mean they should be- communication leadership organization management.
    Just wondering what you ended up doing? Thanks

Advertisement