Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide: Greatest Cartoon Ever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What.Now wrote: »
    As much as Spiderman uses Spiders.

Did you ever see 'Thomas The Tank Engine Drunk', that is defiantly drawn, I've never seen a drunk model or to take it further a drunk train.

It's still not a cartoon mate.

Spiderman is like a painting, whereas Thomas The Tank Engine is like a sculpture...

You don't think Paintings and Sculptures are the same do you?

Its all art, but the Mona Lisa isn't going to win a Greatest Sculpture Tournament and the Venus de Milo isn't going to win a Greatest Painting Tournament...

giphy.gif

You can see how these are visually different mediums, right?

Cartoon:

Not a Cartoon:

He isn't a cartoon, but if I seen Thomas appear, or Wallace and Gromit or the likes, I personally wouldn't have necessarily objected to it.

He isn't a cartoon, but if I seen Thomas appear, or Wallace and Gromit or the likes, I personally wouldn't have necessarily objected to it.

Don't think anyone is retroactively objecting to its inclusion, sure I thought nothing of it when it appeared, knowing it wasn't going to progress any further.

I think we're only responding to this chain of messages, since What.Now asked.
    Did 'Thomas The Tank Engine' get into the competition?
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Ran out of steam in the qualifiers
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Not a cartoon really
    Now that we are in a bit of downtime what is not a cartoon about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

OK, I seem to be out of my intellectual depth here so I'm backing away from this competition. I'm humbled by your knowledge in regards to cartoons.

It's just TTTE had/has a big impact on my heart.

I do think that these treads do allow a bit of discrepancies as was previously shown in the best film song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Not a cartoon really

I would have called it a cartoon. Same as Wallace and Gromit like someone else mentioned. Maybe they are not technically cartoons but I wouldn't know what else to call either of them :confused:

I don't like the Wallace and Gromit type things either. I've a kid who refuses to watch anything made like that too.
    Some of Tim Burton's stuff aswel, Nightmare Before Christmas & Corpse Bride. Coraline is another one too. I just can't take to them, that style whatever its called

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There absolutely is a Thomas the Tank Engine cartoon. So anyone telling the poster that they are wrong is wrong themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

There absolutely is a Thomas the Tank Engine cartoon. So anyone telling the poster that they are wrong is wrong themselves.

Yeah but. The voices are wrong. It ain't the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would have called it a cartoon. Same as Wallace and Gromit like someone else mentioned. Maybe they are not technically cartoons but I wouldn't know what else to call either of them :confused:

The term most often used for Wallace and Gromit is claymation

• Advertisement

That's CGI animation, and still not a Cartoon (in the traditional sense of the word anyway)... ;)

I see now that this is one of those "all crisps/corn-snacks are called Tayto" scenarios, and that there are people who just won't accept that all animated shows do not automatically equal "cartoon"

Carry on folks, as you were, lets not de-rail (pun intended) things any further with the is Thomas The Tank Engine a Cartoon or Not discussion. Its Not, but the Tayto Brigade/Flat Earthers aren't going to accept that, and there's no reasoning with that type of madness.

:pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ardinn wrote: »
    Chikatees

I eat those crisps

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I ate them for the first time as a result of Omackeral's crisp thread, and the commotion they caused.

They're manky altogether!

The term most often used for Wallace and Gromit is claymation

Its kinda a cool art I suppose, seeing a cartoon ;) being made like that. But I just don't like 'claymation' myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I don't like the Wallace and Gromit type things either. I've a kid who refuses to watch anything made like that too.
    Some of Tim Burton's stuff aswel, Nightmare Before Christmas & Corpse Bride. Coraline is another one too. I just can't take to them, that style whatever its called

Oh, I really like this style of stop motion animation.
    I think I was introduced to it with The Nightmare Before Christmas which I think was a good starting point.
    I understand though that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

cdeb wrote: »
    I ate them for the first time as a result of Omackeral's crisp thread, and the commotion they caused.

WHAT, there was a crisp thread!!!!!! AND I MISSED IT?! :eek:

WHAT, there was a crisp thread!!!!!! AND I MISSED IT?! :eek:

Stop, it was a different animal. People’s families were threatened (mostly mine). Have a look here if you want to get pulled into it. The biscuit one was probably worse again...

cdeb wrote: »

Omackeral crisps sound awful

Stop, it was a different animal. People’s families were threatened (mostly mine). Have a look here if you want to get pulled into it. The biscuit one was probably worse again...

I'll have a snoop through.. Its probably best i did miss it. I'm not a competitive person but a crisp thread could possibly bring out a claw or two in me :pac:

I'll have a snoop through.. Its probably best i did miss it. I'm not a competitive person but a crisp thread could possibly bring out a claw or two in me :pac:

People were being called nonces and pedophiles for liking salt and vinegar

• Advertisement

Ya I checked just one page and tayto fans were getting called paedo lovers. It looks more like an After Hours debate on immigration or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I wouldn't call anyone any names, I will admit though that I am flabbergasted by the popularity of vinegar on chips and crisps. I just find that they don't complement each other at all.

Now thats passion!

I've been reading through it & it's gas already. Think I'm glad now I missed it, i don't think I could handle the pressure. Dorito's chilli heatwave going out in the first match had me sweatin straight away

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I wouldn't call anyone any names, I will admit though that I am flabbergasted by the popularity of vinegar on chips and crisps. I just find that they don't complement each other at all.

Chips no but crisps yes. And anyone who disagrees is worse than Hitler ; )

Chips no but crisps yes. And anyone who disagrees is worse than Hitler ; )

Chips yes but crisps no

Edit: actually need to be careful here and no bring some of the same passion from the crisps thread here into the cartoon thread lol

Now thats passion!

I've been reading through it & it's gas already. Think I'm glad now I missed it, i don't think I could handle the pressure.

The biscuits one was worse. See here
    Mikado. Beautiful, wet, pink and fluffy. Like a pulsating sheep vagina ready to be cream-pied.

The biscuits one was worse. See here

:D:D:D that's the kinda I imagination I love but wouldn't have the balls to say it myself

We are so tame by comparison to these.

If only I had known that I could have handed out gruesome death threats over that Fing sea stack

We are so tame by comparison to these.

If only I had known that I could have handed out gruesome death threats over that Fing sea stack

I was just thinking that, how well mannered we all are round here :pac:

• Advertisement

Round 2 is the insult round so...

Advertisement