Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penalty points or not??

• 02-11-2017 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just driving home from work, I was pulled over for speeding (my fault, I know), the garda was really nice, asked me for my license which was at home, he asked was I just coming from work (I was wearing a hi-vis) I told him I was and where I worked, it didn't bothered him that I didn't have my license he just said "do me a favour and slow down" to which I replied "I'm very sorry I lost the run of myself there" he just said again to slow down and have a good night. He didn't even ask my name! Should I expect penalty points and a fine in the post or was he genuinely nice? I hate the unknown 😱

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Nobody can tell you for sure except the Garda himself but I would hope for the best in this scenario. Keep an eye on the post, to be on the safe side. I would not take any other action for the time being. I would make no approach to the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KarMomster123

Nobody can tell you for sure except the Garda himself but I would hope for the best in this scenario. Keep an eye on the post, to be on the safe side. I would not take any other action for the time being. I would make no approach to the Garda.

Thank you Pat Mustard, I'm hoping for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rosey999

Just wondering if you ever heard anything further on this as I was in a similar situation myself this morning - guard in a car beside me in the lane at the lights motioned for me to put my window down then shouted at me for being on the phone (I was holding the phone against the steering wheel while telling a colleague on speaker I couldn't talk as I'd forgotten to plug the hands free in). He was loud and angry shouting at me as I said that I was really very sorry - he yelled at me "you're not sorry, you're just like all the rest, that's three penalty points". I apologised again but he just said "yeah, yeah, yeah", he was really vile, red faced and just shouted at me the whole (short) time. He then had to drive off as his light changed to go right while I was going straight. No conversation about who I was or my license. So I'm not sure if they will follow up with penalty points....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    You have raised this already on a thread hereB]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Rosey999 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you ever heard anything further on this as I was in a similar situation myself this morning - guard in a car beside me in the lane at the lights motioned for me to put my window down then shouted at me for being on the phone (I was holding the phone against the steering wheel while telling a colleague on speaker I couldn't talk as I'd forgotten to plug the hands free in). He was loud and angry shouting at me as I said that I was really very sorry - he yelled at me "you're not sorry, you're just like all the rest, that's three penalty points". I apologised again but he just said "yeah, yeah, yeah", he was really vile, red faced and just shouted at me the whole (short) time. He then had to drive off as his light changed to go right while I was going straight. No conversation about who I was or my license. So I'm not sure if they will follow up with penalty points....

You've probably never had to go and scrape someone off the dash board at a traffic 'incident'. I try and give Guards having a bad day a pass where possible.

FWIW I doubt you'll be hearing anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement