Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

www.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Liz9093

Hi Guys,
    I don't think these texts are as a result of contacting any insurance companies or joining any apps. I got one and I did neither of those and I don't have any apps or download any. I am on facebook unless there is access to mobile number database on that but just delete text and don't go to the site and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Liz9093 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I don't think these texts are as a result of contacting any insurance companies or joining any apps. I got one and I did neither of those and I don't have any apps or download any. I am on facebook unless there is access to mobile number database on that but just delete text and don't go to the site and you will be fine.

Ye we all know not to go on the site by now , but it's just annoying I got 5 yesterday and what to know how they got my number

• Registered Users Posts: 40 starfruit2510

just got dis txt: congrats u r ireland's winner of de day go 2 www.apple.ie.cellgiveawayinsanity.info 2 claim ur prize, I'm assuming its a pile of s***

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

www.apple.ie.cellgiveawayinsanity.info
    Got the same text, I'm betting if you follow the link on your mobile they drain your credit or you get a nice lump of dosh on your bill, another bloody gimmick :mad:

The guy who invents a way of punching someone in the face by text will be a billionaire !

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

cookie1977 wrote: »
    It may be nothing to do with you. Maybe a friend had their webtext account hacked and your number was stored on their account.

I fear this may be close to the truth.

My mam is just after getting that text on her mobile. Now, trust me, she uses the phone for nothing more than texts & calls and it's not a super-duper hi-tech mobile.

Thing is, if my webtext account is the source for this & has been hacked, are more of my contacts going to get the same sh!te? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

When I got this message, pretty sure I had like €19 credit, 2 days later, I had about €5 credit. And any text/call that I sent/made was part of my free texts. So I have no idea where that credit went.. but the fact that it happened after I got that message just makes me suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 18 akajackson

people don't find your number on a website or someone gives them your detail

What they do is they have a random Number Generator and it sends messages randomly to people now the numbers generated might not be operating numbers but its still sent. I got a phone call from a company and this is how I found out how they do it the person who rang me was actually nice enough to tell me how they do it but then I hung up on him haha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Out of interest, anyone here NOT 087? Don't mind your network, I'm just asking about numbers. If not, it seems even more likely it's an autodialler.

Ye i'm 087 :eek: You could be on to something ...

I doubt it's taking credit from us though. or charging to a bill . My credit hasn't gone down by much

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's not taking credit, it's coming from regular numbers. It's either a moron of a spammer hoping to make up the losses from the texts from equally moronic people'll that'll click on it, or more likely an asshat of a spammer that's using stolen credit to spam.

And if enough morons click it, it'll become the spam type du jour, and we'll get loads more of it. So please, for the love of god, just ignore it.

dahamsta wrote: »
    It's not taking credit, it's coming from regular numbers. It's either a moron of a spammer hoping to make up the losses from the texts from equally moronic people'll that'll click on it, or more likely an asshat of a spammer that's using stolen credit to spam.

And if enough morons click it, it'll become the spam type du jour, and we'll get loads more of it. So please, for the love of god, just ignore it.

Don't mind getting spam on email its almost expected but leave my phone number alone :mad:

Don't worry i'll ignore it, now if you excuse me a Nigerian prince needs my help

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

Just got the message from +1(904)*******.
    I'm 087 with 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

SEORG wrote: »
    I'm 087 with 3.

Same here. I rang Apple helpline and she said they've been getting calls about this all weekend. "Nothing to do with us. Very sorry. Have a nice day"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I got this text late last night :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Jumpaddict

SEORG wrote: »
    I'm 087 with 3.

Ditto, I'm 087 with eMobile....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Please don't post the phone numbers. They are likely the numbers of others whose accounts have been hacked.

i haven't got one in the last few days, fingers crossed its moved over to the 086 crowd :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Got one today go to sonyfree giveaway blah blah blah I'm 087

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I just received that text now, Im 087, thanks for the heads up, just hope it doesn't run away with phone credit.

• Advertisement

Dec4 wrote: »
    Would it be worth contacting Comreg on this?

Yes I think so, Iv had dealing with Comreg before and they are very helpful,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gymnsile

It's not just an 087 thing, does anyone know if o2 have a number to send spam too like have been posted for vodafone and meteor? I couldn't find one on their website.

gymnsile wrote: »
    It's not just an 087 thing, does anyone know if o2 have a number to send spam too like have been posted for vodafone and meteor? I couldn't find one on their website.
    I don't know, but you could contact their customer service, the most important thing when dealing with spam & cons etc DON'T RESPOND!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

i got the same, im 087

i got the same, im 087

Are you still getting these, they stopped weeks ago for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cathy neefoley

Got this text from www.apple.ie at 5am telling me I also had won a prize, they cannot spell receive as they spelled it recieve, another scam so beware, but 5am did annoy me !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cathy neefoley

Yes I got one at 5am and I am with O2

Yes I got one at 5am and I am with O2

I think they are just cycling through the numbers, for example i am 0872........

They must be working there way up 087 3/4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

My mother got 6 texts in the space of 20 mins the other morning at 8.00am. She didn't know what it was and replied OK. Got one more text since then. She contacted Emobile they said keep an eye on it. WTF :(
    Just waiting for the bills to hit and see if she was charged to receive the messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Christ. I got mine this morning. I'm 086 but with Vodafone.

Advertisement