Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could you feed your family from your farm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

blue5000 wrote: »
    Tallaght would be an interesting spot if the lights went out for 24 hrs.

Be like that movie “the purge” just crappier accents and more rubbish homes to be invaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    Back to something closer to the original post.

Hypothetically of course.

How many of you would have a go at slaughtering and butchering a sheep, pig or heifer if the need arose ??

I’m quite sure I would.
    Before the modern set of rules and regulations it was common for families to slaughter a pig, lamb/ewe or a goat for the table. I assisted both my late Uncle and late FIL shooting, bleeding, skinning/singeing and paunching both species but we used to bring cattle to a local butcher. The front loader was used to hoist the animal so that it would bleed out properly. I learned how to pluck/clean poultry and paunch rabbits from my Grandmother as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Used to shoot two pigs a year for a local elderly fellow.
    He was an "enthusiastic amateur " butcher.
    A dozen chops was the price for the job.
    Legislation has stopped him now.
    Not sure what the Dept. would do if they found you at it, but I'm sure loss of your full years income would be involved...

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Used to shoot two pigs a year for a local elderly fellow.
    He was an "enthusiastic amateur " butcher.
    A dozen chops was the price for the job.
    Legislation has stopped him now.
    Not sure what the Dept. would do if they found you at it, but I'm sure loss of your full years income would be involved...
    Edit link - hopefully this one works - file:///C:/Users/me/Downloads/Slaughter%20of%20Animal%20for%20Private%20Consumption%20FINAL.pdf
    Copy the link and paste it into your browser to search.
    Officialdum try to hide this information from us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭amacca

hmmm didn't realise you could slaughter a bovine animal for private consumption...thought it was just a pig etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

_Brian wrote: »
    Back to something closer to the original post.

Hypothetically of course.

How many of you would have a go at slaughtering and butchering a sheep, pig or heifer if the need arose ??

I’m quite sure I would.
    Ive only ever done small animals for human consumption like fowl, fish and rabbit, got a notion and cut up a cow who fell down a glen for dogs once when I was a teenager, I dug a grave for the rest of her, ( I'd actually forgotten that!).
    So kill, bleed, skin, gut and hang?
    The butchery would be rough after, but I'm not sure it would affect the flavour for roasting or mince, forget about steaks or chops though.
    Hard work on the fingers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Base price wrote: »
    Edit link - hopefully this one works - file:///C:/Users/me/Downloads/Slaughter%20of%20Animal%20for%20Private%20Consumption%20FINAL.pdf
    Copy the link and paste it into your browser to search.
    Officialdum try to hide this information from us!!

Link wouldn't work for me but got there in the end! :)

491467.jpg
    491468.jpg
    491469.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

People would learn this from each other very quickly. Would be interesting to see what would develop from all the skilled businessmen becoming farmers all of a sudden. And the scientists, they would probably come up with something new..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ive only ever done small animals for human consumption like fowl, fish and rabbit, got a notion and cut up a cow who fell down a glen for dogs once when I was a teenager, I dug a grave for the rest of her, ( I'd actually forgotten that!).
    So kill, bleed, skin, gut and hang?
    The butchery would be rough after, but I'm not sure it would affect the flavour for roasting or mince, forget about steaks or chops though.
    Hard work on the fingers though.

Cost me 250 to get a heifer killed and butchered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

some good utube videos on the process. I think it should be allowed for home use only and it's a good skill to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

amacca wrote: »
    hmmm didn't realise you could slaughter a bovine animal for private consumption...thought it was just a pig etc

I didn't know either.
    I once had a lunatic limo/fresian bullock that couldn't be tested, and the Dept. were getting ansty about him.
    Warned me to get him tested or they would have an army marksman shoot him.
    I asked if I could shoot him and have him butchered, and they vigorously denied it.
    Said it could only happen in a registered slaughterhouse, and that the carcass would have to be sent to a knackery.

Anyway, if the internet went down, the Dept. would cease to function, no more payments, movements, inspections, letters, nothing.
    Hell, if SAP NetWeaver crashed we wouldn't have a Dept.Ag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Already grow most of my veggies in the garden.

Cows and pigs and chickens wouldn’t be a problem, but where I live they are currently prohibited. Have a few acres so plenty of room for a few animals in the case of having to go back in the case of armageddon technologically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Butchery is one of the many usefull life skills that never seem to be taught in our schools

NSAman wrote: »
    Already grow most of my veggies in the garden.

Cows and pigs and chickens wouldn’t be a problem, but where I live they are currently prohibited. Have a few acres so plenty of room for a few animals in the case of having to go back in the case of armageddon technologically speaking.
    I don't know where you live but afaik you can keep hens in a urban garden (but no males - roosters/cockerels) and you cannot keep water fowl - ducks/geese.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Butchery is one of the many usefull life skills that never seem to be taught in our schools
    Along with sowing/knitting/darning, kneeding, carding, thatching, fishing and a whole lot more :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

We grow a lot of stuff here between the garden and polytunnell. We keep all sorts of fowl too.
    I think we'd survive alright but it would get fairly boring after a while.
    I'd probably need to start a distillation process to keep myself sane .
    Life without salt and sugar wouldn't be worth living.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Have ye all forgotten that sugar comes in forms other than Siucra granulated 1kg? Bzzzzzzzz :)

And as for salt ...? Ehh, ye live on a small island, surrounded by salt water. Bring the children to the beach for a week every year and have them haul a few hundred gallons of water to boil off over a campfire every day. Be grand for a year afterwards if ye're careful. :cool:

Have ye all forgotten that sugar comes in forms other than Siucra granulated 1kg? Bzzzzzzzz :)

And as for salt ...? Ehh, ye live on a small island, surrounded by salt water. Bring the children to the beach for a week every year and have them haul a few hundred gallons of water to boil off over a campfire every day. Be grand for a year afterwards if ye're careful. :cool:
    Unfortunately now sea water can/does contain micro plastics :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Myself and Mrs T cooked and processed 8 kg of swede and carrots for the freezer this evening.
    It's just the beginning of it to let us get a routine going.

Unfortunately now sea water can/does contain micro plastics :mad:

Yeah, but so does rainwater, groundwater, tapwater ... and besides, it doesn't stop people paying a fortune for sea-salt that's produced in exactly the same way from exactly the same water.

Nothing like seeing a diesel-driven bulldozer with rubber tyres driving across salt-flats for a bit of perspective on some of the nonsense spouted by fancy TV chefs. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Along with sowing/knitting/darning, kneeding, carding, thatching, fishing and a whole lot more :(
    A school with a lock of classes like you mentioned there would brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Nothing sown here with years but when I was young everyone had a garden.
    We had a half acre of spuds along with another patch with all the other usual vegetables.
    Kale and turnips were sown for the cows and fed with beet pulp I think.
    Rabbits during the summer and I had the job of paunching them.
    I shoot a deer or 2 for the freezer most years.
    I mince most of it.
    So if we were to start gardening again we would not starve initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Nothing sown here with years but when I was young everyone had a garden.
    We had a half acre of spuds along with another patch with all the other usual vegetables.
    Kale and turnips were sown for the cows and fed with beet pulp I think.
    Rabbits during the summer and I had the job of paunching them.
    Now i shoot a deer or 2 for the freezer most years.
    I mince most of it.
    So if we were to start gardening again we would not starve initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭amacca

You are having a laugh right? with todays teenagers and parents....Id venture a guess that large number of them wouldn't want it and some would actively object never mind the department of education etc

I used to dissect lamb hearts and occasionally the full lungs, heart, liver with trachea and oesophagus etc etc all connected for kids if they were interested and while many were, a lot of them would go into hysterics and I'd have to arrange another room for them (which is fair enough I suppose if you are squeamish etc) so it wouldn't be without its difficulties that way although Ill say one thing for kids, most of them are more up for trying new things than adults in fairness.

We got a heads up years and years ago about using beef hearts etc due to risk if cjd .... and its harder and harder to go to an abattoir and get the lungs etc

You can still buy the hearts without hassle but teaching butchery is as unlikely as hell to happen unless society out there changes drastically. I'd imagine it would do more than raise eyebrows if I was still at it and proposed to introduce a short course on butchery.

The focus is on stuff like wellbeing, paperwork and "planning" now and pr exercises to justify dept gurus and their "reform" in case anyone would spot they are essentially useless box tickers pushing a box ticking cover your hole agenda in a system where everyone has rights if they want them but seemingly no responsibilities if they don't want them. the kind of agenda that seems to have slowly destroyed the UK education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

While I detest agreeing with the post above, one of the girls in my year actually vomited while dissecting a heart. :pac:
    Nobody taught me butchery, trial & error in my case!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Jesus we have a mantra against eating meat seeping into schools, there’d be some twist in their knickers if little billy was being taught how to butcher a bit of meat.

As a species were getting dumber and less capable of surviving, perfect to be wiped out by something simple as all actual practical skills will be lost.

Practical skill (1): know how to sharpen a blade! It's unbelievable how hard it is to find a decent sharp knife in other people's kitchens.

Practical skill (2a): write stuff down! When the zombies have eaten all the internet's fibreoptic cable, and the MadMaxers have scavenged all the metal from the nearest cell tower, there'll be no quickly looking stuff up on YouTube.

Practical skill (2b): use a pencil, not a pen! Seems like most folk these days think that pencils are not serious writing implements, but they have some damn good advantages over a biro: they work in the rain, in the cold, upside-down; they'll write on wet or greasy paper; and after you've carefully written your gardening or cooking hints, when your notebook falls in a puddle, the ink won't run all over the page making it impossible to read anything. (learnt this one on a farm, recording tag-numbers and TB results :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Ah. That bit about the pencil reminds me of the space race in the 60s. The Americans found ink pens were useless in space and spent millions of dollars in research to design new devices for writing in zero gravity. The Russians just used the pencil.
    Probably a myth but worth a chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

All you need is a plot of vegetables and a goat..

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50054044

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Or a calf and a machete! :D

Advertisement