Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No catch. There was a way to get it cheaper too, not sure if it's stopped working yet: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057987235

Wow, that's excellent.

I'd need to confirm it definitely still works because I don't have an Xbox so I don't want to chump out 2 years worth of Xbox subs for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cina wrote: »
    Wow, that's excellent.

I'd need to confirm it definitely still works because I don't have an Xbox so I don't want to chump out 2 years worth of Xbox subs for nothing!

I dont have an Xbox and have Gamepass Ultimate for 5 months for about €5

Just look for the bargain links for it and you can get similiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Seems like this is going to be great.

Got 9/10 from gamespot.

Seems like this is going to be great.

Got 9/10 from gamespot.

Available for preload now on gamepass for PC and Xbox

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eurogamer a bit cold on it. Didn't even get a recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brevity

Looks like it’s doing well...

USGamer – 4/5
    IGN – 8.5/10
    PC Gamer – 79/100
    Gamespot – 9/10
    GamesRadar – 3/5
    Xbox Achievements – 92/100
    PCGamesN – 7/10
    Game Informer – 9.3/10
    GamingTrend – 65/100
    COGconnected – 91
    Everyeye.it [Italian] – 82/100
    Gameblog.fr [French] – 8/10
    Eurogamer – Unscored
    Rock Paper Shotgun – Unscored
    Mashable – Unscored

https://www.vg247.com/2019/10/22/outer-worlds-reviews-roundup/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eurogamer a bit cold on it. Didn't even get a recommended.

I wouldn't give their review a recommended.

Ars Technica gave it a glowing review

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/10/the-outer-worlds-review-fall-deeply-into-the-best-fallout-like-game-in-years/

Also, I’m reading some stuff here and there about the game being a bit gratuitously violent. Anyone else see this? Know anything about it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

brevity wrote: »
    Ars Technica gave it a glowing review

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/10/the-outer-worlds-review-fall-deeply-into-the-best-fallout-like-game-in-years/

Also, I’m reading some stuff here and there about the game being a bit gratuitously violent. Anyone else see this? Know anything about it?

Ya just from watching some videos it does look really violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Reviews seem good. Not too pushed about a few outlyers. Anyone remember Dead Island? Tons of reviewers claimed it was a 3/10 game, broken, unplayable, etc. One of the best RPG's I've ever played, even before the major bugs were ironed out.

Some reviewers these days seem to be too try-hard, trying to knowingly go against the grain and get views/clicks/likes for having alternative opinions, knowing it'll incite discussion, and awarding games that they inherently know are decent, unjustifyably low scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looks good, decided to get the pass since it make most sense, cheaper than retail price with the add on of extra game library, no real interest in any other game though :(

Or maybe the game just didn't click? Reviews are just opinions at the end of the day. There have been games that I personally enjoyed like Mad Max but can totally see its flaws and therefore why others wouldn't like it.

Completely agree. But there's a big difference between a flawed promising game (say, 5/10) and a downright terrible game (say 3/10 or lower). I doubt any decent gamer would argue Dead Island, for example, was a 3/10 game, but it got that very score from some outlets on release.

Mad Max is a good example of a game that I could see why people would give it anything between 8/10 and 5/10 on release, but it was never a 3/10 game...again, just an example.

Some reviewers just don't have any contextual scores, and award a game they perceive as 'should be excellent but isn't' an absurdly bad score.
    I have seen certain sites award games like "Terminator Salvation" 5/10, and then go on to award games like Dead Island 3 or 4/10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Homelander wrote: »
    Completely agree. But there's a big difference between a flawed promising game (say, 5/10) and a downright terrible game (say 3/10 or lower). I doubt any decent gamer would argue Dead Island, for example, was a 3/10 game, but it got that very score from some outlets on release.

Your argument here is based on the troubling suggestion that any given critic is only allowed operate within a narrow window of opinion when it comes to any given game.

The Internet has created the strangest views on critics, but really it’s simple: a critic can come down wherever they want on any given game, so long as they do so convincingly and in good faith. There’s no reason a critic can’t write a scathing, 1/10 review of an otherwise universally praised title, again once it comes from a place of genuine feeling. Everyone perceives any given game different, and while naturally strong craft and quality will typically be widely recognised, there is no single, objective, ‘true’ reading.

I’d personally give Red Dead Redemption 2 maybe a 2/10 or a 3/10 because I think it’s a fumbling, confused mess of a game and ultimately a catastrophic failure of vision. Many others think it’s a masterpiece. I have no doubt most are sincere and honest in their assessment of it, but I’d hope they’d also recognise my belief comes from a place of good faith and honesty too :) Views diverge wildly; it’s not just because the demands for web traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

37gb on XGP for preload.

I knew that €6 would be worth it :D

I’d personally give Red Dead Redemption 2 maybe a 2/10 or a 3/10 because I think it’s a fumbling, confused mess of a game and ultimately a catastrophic failure of vision. Many others think it’s a masterpiece. I have no doubt most are sincere and honest in their assessment of it, but I’d hope they’d also recognise my belief comes from a place of good faith and honesty too :) Views diverge wildly; it’s not just because the demands for web traffic.

That opens a whole can of worms Johnny with all due respect, because it perscribes to exactly what I mentioned - reviewers judging games on expectations rather than merit. And that's not to say that expectatations and context can't play some level of role in a review.

Think, to yourself, about what such a rating signifies. To most people, such a rating is tantamount to a title being entirely unplayable, worthless, devoid of any redeeming features and not worth a cent of your hard earned money.

I think Rambo: The Video Game, one of the worst titles in recent memory, had a similar rating. Does Read Dead belong in that category, simply for not living up to personal expectations?

I would say not. Don't get me wrong....game reviews are entirely subjective things and should rightly be so, but let's not lose sight of what forms an objectively 'OK' game either. It's perfectly OK to go against the grain whatever the medium of enterainment, but we should at least take a step back and let our harshest criticism fall on the faults, but take stock of what the game at least accomplishes.

I, for one, found GTA V not to my taste, but I somewhat objectively recognise that it's an astounding achievement in the technical aspect of gaming at the very least, regardless of my indifference to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sorry that's just plain wrong.

I'd also give Red Dead Redemption 2 a 3/10 based on the fact that it was absolutely zero craic to play. Still I like to read about the people that liked the game and their reasons why.

Reviews are subjective, it's not a science. People have different opinions and I'd much rather there be a wide range of varying opinions that can back those opinions up than a bunch of bay sheep jumping on every bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Do I need PS Plus to play this guys?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do I need PS Plus to play this guys?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Can't wait for this now.

Obsidian games generally don't score as high in reviews as they deserve anyway. New Vegas and KOTOR2 were fantastic and didn't score nearly as high as other games in the installments. So an 86 on Metacritic is to me, a very good sign!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I don't think Obsidian are harshly rated. They gave a great go with New Vegas but were basically given an impossible task due to a short timeframe & having to work on someone else's engine which even Bethesda can't manage to work with successfully. KOTOR 2 was clearly similar where they had a short timetable to work & it was unfinished which says to me they aimed for the moon with far too little time.

RDR2 is a lot of things but it absolutely is not a failure of vision; as that is the game Rockstar wanted to make whether people like that is another matter.
    From the drawn out animation, overthinking of the smallest details, the level of acting & it looks absolutely incredible. It's nowhere near my favourite Rockstar game as when the realisation slips in that it very much resembles an interactive movie whereas something like GTA 3 was do whatever the f**k ya want stimulator. Rockstar didn't try make that game.

I'm just glad there's reviewers out there that aren't blown away by technical achievements and are able to critique a game on how well it succeeds at being a game because in my eyes, RDR2 is a failure of a game. Too many reviewers get caught up in the hype but good there's some out there that give more measured opinions.

And it doesn't even succeed at being an interactive movie as it's a bad one interrupted by bad gameplay in boring missions.

High praise from ACG.

Delighted for Bethesda too and Todd Howard

Obsidian Games giving the gamers the actual Fallout game they wanted
    Not the monetized bull**** Bethesda puked up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Delighted for Bethesda too and Todd Howard

I'm guessing that's sarcasm?

I'm guessing that's sarcasm?

Absolutely
    I meant as in "Up his bolox!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

and fallout 76 bringing a $100 annual subscription model in at the same time this gets released :D Obsidian are one of the few good devs left in my opinion, have this pre loaded and ready to go with game pass

and fallout 76 bringing a $100 annual subscription model in at the same time this gets released :D Obsidian are one of the few good devs left in my opinion, have this pre loaded and ready to go with game pass

Same but I read about a fair lump of a day one patch for it.

EDIT: Might not apply to digital, but 18GB for physical release.

Yea, just read an article about that.
    It's embarrassing. Put a bullet in Fallout 76 at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Put a bullet in Fallout 76 at this stage
    That will never happen. Bethesda will find ways to get more money out of the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement