Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'm not too pushed about third party releases. Nintendo machines for me have always been about the games you can't get on any other system. With the selection of games released so far, those announced at E3 and some inevitable titles not yet mentioned (I'm thinking maybe F-Zero, Metroid) - the Wii-U will have easily been a worthwhile purchase. For everything else there's PC or PlayStation.

Poor Xbox One :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'm not too pushed about third party releases. Nintendo machines for me have always been about the games you can't get on any other system. With the selection of games released so far, those announced at E3 and some inevitable titles not yet mentioned (I'm thinking maybe F-Zero, Metroid) - the Wii-U will have easily been a worthwhile purchase. For everything else there's PC or PlayStation.

This is very true. You don't buy a Nintendo console these days to play Black Ops, or FIFA, or the latest AAA games...you buy it because of what it has to offer that's offered nowhere else. As you rightly point out, for everything else, there's the other consoles/pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Zelda: ALBW has me utterly hooked on my 3DS XL. Picked up Kokuga too for €14.99, cheaper alternative to a 3DS LL I guess.

I've not been this wedged in to the Nintendo fan camp for decades. Feels great. Just need a Wii U at some stage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Pics or it didn't happen :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Today's get isn't retro, nor an interactive game but a quirky DVD-game all the way from Amazon Japan!

313044.jpg

Have to say a huge tanks to Sera for introducing me to this wonder!

(Although part of me feels like suing her for all the mental trauma it has inflicted on my little brain! :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

waveform wrote: »
    Today's get isn't retro, nor an interactive game but a quirky DVD-game all the way from Amazon Japan!

313044.jpg

Have to say a huge tanks to Sera for introducing me to this wonder!

(Although part of me feels like suing her for all the mental trauma it has inflicted on my little brain! :p )

Is the right DVD cover pixelated over a character in the game?

Wonder how a DVD game works

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Is the right DVD cover pixelated over a character in the game?

Wonder how a DVD game works

Haha yeah! I think it might be the Gorilla in the video above to keep it a surprise for people?

Or else its just a character made up of pixels, wouldn't surprise me in Japan!

Doubt its anything to do with those other videos the Japanese are known to pixelate! ;)

Its basically like a betting game, they show each horse at the start walking around with its number on screen.
    You just choose the horse you think that will win and watch the race.

Its all pre-recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Thanks to Cidey I picked up Steel Battalion for Xbox, already have the huge controller

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sera wrote: »
    Thanks to Cidey I picked up Steel Battalion for Xbox, already have the huge controller

And I have none :(

Congrats on the purchase though, hope you have lots of big robot stompy fun.
    Don't forget to eject though!
    Otherwise your save gets wiped.
    Also, it has a mod detection function, so the game will only work on an unmodified Xbox or one with a modchip that can be switched off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Nabbed this in Argos there. I already have it in the big box collectors edition, but that's still sealed (I don't collect sealed games normally but if it's lasted this long, & I can leave it sealed for €12, so be it! :o) so this can be my disc copy. I think I reserved the last Solatorobo in Dublin this morning, won't get to it until tomorrow though.

dxy69l.jpg

Sera wrote: »

There must be nothing hotter than watching your lady bringing her mechs into battle, operating that beast of a controller.

Damn you Retr0!

waveform wrote: »
    There must be nothing hotter than watching your lady bringing her mechs into battle, operating that beast of a controller.

Damn you Retr0!

Steady on.
    Retr0 does not "own" Sera.
    She is therefore not his "lady".
    This is the 21st century for globs sake!

If anything, Retr0 is Sera's lady, and fully owned as well, he has the dress to prove it.
    If someone would like to dig out the appropriate jpg please...
    I reckon he's happier that way....
    Sera being a benevolent tyrant... As opposed to Sauron...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If anything, Retr0 is Sera's lady, and fully owned as well, he has the dress to prove it.
    I reckon he's happier that way...Sera being a benevolent tyrant... As opposed to Sauron...
    Wahtish! So very true, I'm sure he's happy for me to be the boss because I'm the most kawaii uguu :p
    6513_render_Chibi_rena_RG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I picked up a bubble bobble bootleg for €50 inc delivery, adapter the other week, I was a little disappointed with the surface rust on it, and it was only booting, game wouldn't start. After a good scrub with isopropanol and 5 new roms, 3 of which I used redux I now have a 100% working Bubble bobble again
    331puzq.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Great job and great game. Music in it is sublime.

Aside from Robotron it's the one dedicated cab I'd love to own.
    Would it be criminal to turn my candy into such a thing?
    Might get more play then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I don't see this leaving the cabinet for a while, I love it, you could say I'm obsessed, a little out of practice though as I couldn't even get a million last night after 3 tries, it plays perfectly.
    Now to fix my Taito BB board, then that Tetris I picked up from Urban.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

A visit to Gamestop and Argos yielded these chaps. Looking forward to seeing what Lego City is like, I watched CGR Undertow's review and it seemed good. Kirby is great from what I remember.

GuUuoJv.jpg

rphMA8g.jpg

m5yrd0W.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

On a bit of a 3DS buzz at the moment. Going to pick up mario golf next I think.

8D486DA9-9B6A-4340-930C-0C757288F8A9_zps5hvfgfvd.jpg

• Advertisement

So, I too was driven to buy gaming goodness in Argos, for me it was Dragon Quest VI which will sit beside DQV and IX, also for the DS.
    I then picked up a nice new shiny copy of Inazuma 11, no chance I'll ever play it but it's a nice thing to have anyways, and a steal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Today's gets. Waveform's contribution is on the top right in the form of a gameboy game.

Picked this all up for a surprisingly well haggled price from the rage.

There was a new guy in there that really seemed to know his stuff. Didn't catch his name but a pleasure to talk to.

313412.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

props Retro on the Holy Ark pickup, definitely in my top 5 Saturn games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it cost me. LOL is the bigger deal for me, been after it for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I then picked up a nice new shiny copy of Inazuma 11, no chance I'll ever play it but it's a nice thing to have anyways, and a steal.

You really should, it's a very good game. Finished it a week or so ago and am looking forward to jumping into the supposedly superior sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

So, I too was driven to buy gaming goodness in Argos, for me it was Dragon Quest VI which will sit beside DQV and IX, also for the DS.

Are the Dragon Quest games any use?

marko93 wrote: »
    Are the Dragon Quest games any use?

Yes they are. Dragon quest V is one of the finest RPGs ever and 4 and 6 are better than anything the final fantasy series has done. Dq9 is excellent as are the two joker games.

Dragon Quest 8 is simply amazing, Journey of the Cursed King, a beautiful game to look at answer play. And on the PS2.
    Rogue Galaxy is from the same team but apparently not as good as the DQ titles it loves.

• Advertisement

Rogue Galaxy just gets very dull quickly and is full of padding. It feels like ni no Kuni except ni no Kuni is much worse in that regard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement