Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Country & Irish

• 17-05-2014 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭

I'm going to hold my hand up. I love me a bit of country & Irish music. It was always on in the house when I was growing up so I suppose some of my love for it must be down to nostalgia.

I went to my second Nathan Carter gig last night. It was fecking awesome.

Any other fans on here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

Oh yes, definitely!! I'm guessing you were at the Sligo gig so lastnight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I was indeed! Were you at it yourself? Thought it was really good. Loved getting to hear his newer songs live. I thought Niamh McGlinchey was really good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭That_Girl_ Is_ A_Cowboy

My mam likes country music and growing up she used to have Clare.fm on every Sunday morning with country music blaring. For the most part I found it to be awful sh1te. Headache inducing wrecking stuff altogether.

A few songs here and there I did like though and one such song that stood out to me and appeals to me and I have included in my music collection is T.R. Dallas and his song Daddy's Girl.

In relation to new Irish country:
    I wouldn't be familiar with much except for Nathan Carter and Derek Ryan.

I used to attend regularly into my local coffee shop for a cup of tea and wifi. There was a cd playing regularly in there and it was something I liked a lot. It was Nathan Carter. That was early spring 2012. I looked into more of his music after that and I now own some albums from him. I'm yet to see him live. I would like to. When time and money is right I suppose.

Another fella I like very much is Derek Ryan. I'm a new fan of him. I heard of him last year and I meant to check him out but it slipped my mind. He made an appearance on the late late show last week with his single - Hold Onto Your Hat - a collaboration with Sharon Shannon. Wow! I loved it. I checked the rest of his music after this and it's been a week and I now own an album and two dvds from him. He wrote some of his own songs and he's very, very good. I have some favourites from him like:
    Life is a river
    It's Friday
    I got my baby back
    Irish heart
    Just a little love
    Made of gold
    Belle of liverpool
    Gods plan

There's more too and of course Hold Onto Your Hat, I love. I waited all week in excitement, counting down the days to Friday to download it as a single. I'm looking forward to discovering more of his music from his earlier albums and to seeing him live. Hopefully sometime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I don't like Derek Ryan or Mike Denver: Westlife in hats for the most part. Nathan Carter is grand on a lot of songs but I hate 'The Dancer'. Jimmy Buckley is good overall apart from his version of 'On your wedding day' (horrid song).

I like Big Tom, Larry Cunningham, Frankie McBride, Dolores and Sean Keane, Luke Kelly and all these. Great artists that stood the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't like Derek Ryan or Mike Denver: Westlife in hats for the most part. Nathan Carter is grand on a lot of songs but I hate 'The Dancer'. Jimmy Buckley is good overall apart from his version of 'On your wedding day' (horrid song).

I like Big Tom, Larry Cunningham, Frankie McBride, Dolores and Sean Keane, Luke Kelly and all these. Great artists that stood the test of time.

ROFL

I don't think Derek and Mike use stools though :p

I grew up to Joe Dolan as me mam loved him and I even still know a few of his tunes

I think Irish Country has increased big time for younger fans, I went to a Nathan Carter show recently and I enjoyed it, a grand ole wedding reception shindig :p

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    ROFL

I don't think Derek and Mike use stools though :p

I grew up to Joe Dolan as me mam loved him and I even still know a few of his tunes

I think Irish Country has increased big time for younger fans, I went to a Nathan Carter show recently and I enjoyed it, a grand ole wedding reception shindig :p

Joe Dolan was great and while not strictly country and irish, he did do some country songs like 'The answer to everything', 'That's when I see the blues' and 'I love you more and more everyday'. He was a great singer and entertainer and sang everything though and did everything he did very well.

By and large, then new Country and Irish scene is not to the liking of many of its traditional fans. There's too much boybandish influence and pop. Yes, it has broadened its appeal to younger people and the boyband/girlband audiences by assimilating elements of that into the mix but none of the current crop of solo C&I singers (bar Nathan Carter on the right material) can come close to the older acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MontyChips

I have a mixed opinion on the modern country singers. Their songs are catchy but too pop for my liking. Not too keen on the image either. Although in my early twenties, I'd listen to Big Tom, Ray Lynam or Larry Cunningham quicker than Carter or Ryan.

MontyChips wrote: »
    I have a mixed opinion on the modern country singers. Their songs are catchy but too pop for my liking. Not too keen on the image either. Although in my early twenties, I'd listen to Big Tom, Ray Lynam or Larry Cunningham quicker than Carter or Ryan.

I'd have to say the same. The older music in all genres tends to be the best. Big Tom, Larry, Ray and the like are all good artists who had a genuine sound and were real.

Nathan Carter is grand in my book. He is a good singer and has some good material. But songs like 'The Dancer' are horrid and I'm afraid the more popular he becomes, the more boyband-type muck like this we will see (there's nothing wrong with boybands in their own place by the way but country/country & Irish should not be just a poor, poor replica of that scene).

Derek Ryan is not great at all I think. He can on some songs be a poor vocalist and has no sense of excitement in his style. 'Hold onto your hat' is awful: stupid, repetitive, poorly sang and cliched. Even Sharon Shannon cannot save this turkey.

But all these guys are all pop influenced and are just country's answer to the pop scene. Mike Denver and The Three Amigos are/were the same. Unfortunately, the scene is dominated by these acts and it keeps other forms out. Whenever I hear songs like 'God's plan', 'On your wedding day', 'Hold onto your hat', 'The Dancer', etc. on the radio, I turn it off. This stuff ruins country music in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 karaokemaker

Hi I am new here just like to say I disagree with a lot of what is said here about Derek Ryan & Nathan Carter. They are both really talented I have seen both of these artists live on several occasions. I would say that Nathan is probably the better performer but he rarely does any original songs. Derek Ryan writes a lot of his own material so how can that be a bad thing. I am also trying to find somebody willing to share Derek Ryan's new cd The Entertainer if you can help with this please inbox me with details thanks in advance.

Hi I am new here just like to say I disagree with a lot of what is said here about Derek Ryan & Nathan Carter. They are both really talented I have seen both of these artists live on several occasions. I would say that Nathan is probably the better performer but he rarely does any original songs. Derek Ryan writes a lot of his own material so how can that be a bad thing. I am also trying to find somebody willing to share Derek Ryan's new cd The Entertainer if you can help with this please post details thanks in advance.

I personally like Nathan Carter overall. He is lively and a good performer. The only song by him I hate is 'The Dancer'. Derek Ryan does not get it for me due to a lot of the bland material he has recorded but 'There stands the glass' is good and shows us there is more to him. 'God's plan' is not. Writing one's own songs can be boring if they mainly concentrate on this. Some of his original songs are boring (God's plan) or silly (Hold onto your hat). 'There stands the glass' was a cover of an obscure older country song and much better. More concentration on material like this and Derek would be excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Hi I am new here just like to say I disagree with a lot of what is said here about Derek Ryan & Nathan Carter. They are both really talented I have seen both of these artists live on several occasions. I would say that Nathan is probably the better performer but he rarely does any original songs. Derek Ryan writes a lot of his own material so how can that be a bad thing. I am also trying to find somebody willing to share Derek Ryan's new cd The Entertainer if you can help with this please inbox me with details thanks in advance.

I first heard of Nathan back in 2012 and I like a lot of music from him. He did a cover of 'Fishing in the dark' and that's one of my many favourites from him. I went to see him in concert recently and I enjoyed it very much and will be looking forward to seeing him again.

I love the music from Derek Ryan and I agree with what you wrote. I like Derek Ryan more for that reason. He had a new album out and I am enjoying it very much. I am eager to see him in concert but it's just not happening for me. He played the Olympia in Dublin back in July but it was on Thursday so it wasn't suited for me. On a whim I went to Claremorris on Saturday to see him and it was absolutely fcuking awful. Not him. He was great and I loved it but it was a jive. The floor was dominated by jivers and I never felt so out of place before in my life. I see from his site the majority of his dates is made up of hotels and halls, so probably more jives and very little in relation to gigs. He's playing a theatre alright in October but it's midweek up North. I'd swear to God he uses his own granny as manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Patrick Wall

I first heard of Nathan back in 2012 and I like a lot of music from him. He did a cover of 'Fishing in the dark' and that's one of my many favourites from him. I went to see him in concert recently and I enjoyed it very much and will be looking forward to seeing him again.

I love the music from Derek Ryan and I agree with what you wrote. I like Derek Ryan more for that reason. He had a new album out and I am enjoying it very much. I am eager to see him in concert but it's just not happening for me. He played the Olympia in Dublin back in July but it was on Thursday so it wasn't suited for me. On a whim I went to Claremorris on Saturday to see him and it was absolutely fcuking awful. Not him. He was great and I loved it but it was a jive. The floor was dominated by jivers and I never felt so out of place before in my life. I see from his site the majority of his dates is made up of hotels and halls, so probably more jives and very little in relation to gigs. He's playing a theatre alright in October but it's midweek up North. I'd swear to God he uses his own granny as manager.

I would go along with everything you say here. I am a blues and country singer myself and have for many years seen the lack of venues for such music. It is all this hotel and dancehall thing and this would not suit a lot of country music styles. I have recorded 5 albums with songs like "I'll sail my ship alone", "The leaves mustn't fall" (both Moon Mullican), "Rambling on my mind" (Robert Johnson), "You win again" (Hank Williams), "Reconsider baby" (Lowell Fulson), "Blues like midnight" (Jimmie Rodgers), "Lovely Leitrim", "Jealous heart" and "Skid row" (Jerry Lee Lewis) and this is very different and very diverse compared to a lot of the country music in Ireland. I have been very successful with the albums and would love to set up regular sessions for me and other likeminded country meets blues artists who want a place to sing and play. I love all the other styles of country music too but all of it can't be expected to suit this hotel and dance venue setting.

I agree that one should be able to see Derek Ryan or whoever at concert type venues and not just dance venues. But the management of Irish country music seem to go for the dance venue for everyone regardless of whether it suits one's true style or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭roosterman71

People are kinda missing the point here I think. The likes of Derek Ryan are predominately dance bands, who started out playing to dancing crowds. This is by far and away the most successful avenue in the country music scene in Ireland at the moment. Even away from the big bands, plenty of smaller venues run dances every night of the week.

Some of the artists, namely Nathan Carter, have moved to do concerts. For him, this is where the money is. €20/€25 for a 2 hour show per head, vs €15 into a dance for maybe a 3 hour show. Other artists (including Derek Ryan) do concerts too, but not as often.

I think the previous two posters are a little out of the loop in terms of whats popular, and what the people want. believe me, if the people wanted concerts and not the dance shows, the concerts would take over. Supply and demand and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I personally like Nathan Carter overall. He is lively and a good performer. The only song by him I hate is 'The Dancer'. Derek Ryan does not get it for me due to a lot of the bland material he has recorded but 'There stands the glass' is good and shows us there is more to him. 'God's plan' is not. Writing one's own songs can be boring if they mainly concentrate on this. Some of his original songs are boring (God's plan) or silly (Hold onto your hat). 'There stands the glass' was a cover of an obscure older country song and much better. More concentration on material like this and Derek would be excellent.

Webb Pierce did There Stands The Glass in 1953.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Stands_the_Glass

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Patrick Wall

People are kinda missing the point here I think. The likes of Derek Ryan are predominately dance bands, who started out playing to dancing crowds. This is by far and away the most successful avenue in the country music scene in Ireland at the moment. Even away from the big bands, plenty of smaller venues run dances every night of the week.

Some of the artists, namely Nathan Carter, have moved to do concerts. For him, this is where the money is. €20/€25 for a 2 hour show per head, vs €15 into a dance for maybe a 3 hour show. Other artists (including Derek Ryan) do concerts too, but not as often.

I think the previous two posters are a little out of the loop in terms of whats popular, and what the people want. believe me, if the people wanted concerts and not the dance shows, the concerts would take over. Supply and demand and all that

I know this is the case. The dance band arena suits this style of music that a lot of acts do. My point is that for blues meets country artists like myself and bluegrass bands, this arena is not suitable. I could sing the country and irish danceband music but at heart I am a blues singer and music is meant to be sincere and from the heart. So, one has to sing what they feel.

I am aware that blues meets country, bluegrass and gospel music all have a massive following too. I am aware of the very good feedback people give when they hear this music often for the first time. Festivals and special events exist and I am always happy to participate and help them out. It is overall more a music for the arts councils, etc. to get behind and is not suited to dancehall venues. With regard to pubs, the right supportive pub can get nice intimate sessions of all types of music going.

From the gig I went to last week, I dancing was great and I liked watching but the dancing and jiving scene is not for me. It did look cool and looks like great craic but I don't know to dance. From the few who came out with me, they have the same opinon. They and me like the music from Derek Ryan but the dancing isn't for us and we'd be very slow returning to seeing him again in a hotel and dancehall setting.

Nathan Carter probably has the good common sense to realise this too, that the jives doesn't appeal to all his fans. He mixed things up a bit and is including more concerts in his schedule and he's doing brillantly too.

Derek Ryan's new album is No. 1 in the Irish album charts

My mam says drunk young ones are ruining dances now :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Derek Ryan's new album is No. 1 in the Irish album charts

My mam says drunk young ones are ruining dances now :p

I would have contributed to that album sale :)

Your mam sounds cool and great craic and she's dead right too. Of what I saw last week, the dancing was just a skill. There was some brillant footwork and I wish I knew how. Checking out Derek Ryan's stuff on internet, there was a youtube clip from somewhere about the country in a hall and it looked like a drunken disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Willo2011

Hi folks

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to ask this question but here goes... my Dad is looking for an album / CD by Pat Keane called The Songs I Like to Sing. The only mention I can find of it on the web is a posting on the Farmers Journal but it doesn't say where you can get it.

Could any of you give me some advice on where I could get this in Dublin? I've tried a few HMVs but they don't have it.

Thanks

Will

Willo2011 wrote: »
    Hi folks

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to ask this question but here goes... my Dad is looking for an album / CD by Pat Keane called The Songs I Like to Sing. The only mention I can find of it on the web is a posting on the Farmers Journal but it doesn't say where you can get it.

Could any of you give me some advice on where I could get this in Dublin? I've tried a few HMVs but they don't have it.

Thanks

Will

Maybe try Sharpe Music http://www.sharpemusicireland.com/

• Advertisement

Why are all of them covering Ed Sheeran's songs

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Went to a Country Music extravaganza in Moate last night. It was a joint fundraiser between the GAA & Golf Clubs in the town and it was well attended and really good.

Local legend Ray Lynam along with Philomena Begley, Simon Casey, TR Dallas, Carmel Sheerin and Matt Leavy all backed by The Sheerin Family Band put on a great show and everyone enjoyed it. Very entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

What Country & Irish Radio Shows do folks here listen to? I've been out of the scene for a while and want to get back into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

Country special late late show on this Friday. Dolly Parton will be joining Mr Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭rpirl

A couple of years ago I bought this book in one of the discount shops

I thought it was an okay read in that it explained how the scene has its roots in the showband era...

The showbands mostly did cover versions and it's the same for most of the performers in the book

Have always wondered if there was any good original music to come out of the scene though

These tunes are worth a listen

Ronnie Griffiths - 'Dingle Bay Boat Song'

Mary Duff - 'Sunshine and Rain'

Written by a member of her band, only original song on her first three albums

Advertisement