Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DEPRESSION SUPPORT- Anonymous posting is possible, see note in post #1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Reading in the farming Indo that there is a special HSE helpline setup for farmers who are in crisis.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/News/newsarchive/2011archive/feb2011/Farm_Rural_Stress_Helpline_A_Lifeline_For_Rural_People.html

The number for anyone that is interested is 1800 742 645

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Muckit wrote: »
    Reading in the farming Indo that there is a special HSE helpline setup for farmers who are in crisis.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/News/newsarchive/2011archive/feb2011/Farm_Rural_Stress_Helpline_A_Lifeline_For_Rural_People.html

The number for anyone that is interested is 1800 742 645

Are they giving unsecured loans by any chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

another sad death around here today, r.i.p.... its unreal:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Did you know the person?

pakalasa wrote: »
    Did you know the person?
    yes

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    Did you know the person?
    my brother used to work with him and he is married to my dads cousin, 3 kids:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

A very moving interview this morning on country wide with gerry McEntee it certainly moved me this morning, well worth a listen to if some one more tec then myself could put up a link i think its well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

kerryjack wrote: »
    A very moving interview this morning on country wide with gerry McEntee it certainly moved me this morning, well worth a listen to if some one more tec then myself could put up a link i think its well worth a listen.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A10157606%3A0%3A%3A

it starts about 00:28

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WellKiiid??

Can i post my own situation here or are we aloud discuss personal issues on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭shy_boy

Can i post my own situation here or are we aloud discuss personal issues on this?

Bust away LAD thats the whole point of the thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Dstock

www.turn2me.org is an irish based charity run by two brothers that is certainly worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

few of us on twitter set up "farmers unite" in march. we hope to get it kick started this autumn.

anyone on twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

few of us on twitter set up "farmers unite" in march. we hope to get it kick started this autumn.

anyone on twitter?

Yes. But then you know that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

Some posts above removed.

Let's keep this thread focused on the subject from a farming point of view, and take the general politics and grievances with the state elsewhere, huh?

[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Rovi wrote: »
    [MOD]

Some posts above removed.

Let's keep this thread focused on the subject from a farming point of view, and take the general politics and grievances with the state elsewhere, huh?

[/MOD]

Fair enough,but farming families are often victims of poor mental health facilities. A family living in a city like Dublin would find it easier to access mental health services than a family living miles away from the nearest town.

Farming is an isolated and often stressful profession. Farmers and their families need support and often they can't find it. Older generations might be from a generation that kept a stiff upper lip and didn't complain and this would discourage the younger generations from discussing their problems. The older generation might remember a time when admitting to mental illness meant you were likely to be incarcerated for life in the County Home.

I don't know if the poor family in Carlow had any farming links, but what happened to them could happen to any family in Ireland, including farming families.

There is an Online Dating forum on boards where people can ask to sign up to discuss that issue. If there was enough demand, perhaps a similar forum could be set up for depression and other health issues in rural Ireland. I know this is off topic, but there were a number of fatal farm accidents recently involving children. The families of these children will be suffering now. I think it would be useful to set up a dedicated thread to discuss farming related health issues, be they mental or physical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

This thread was set up specifically as a resource for people from a farming background to deal with mental health issues. It is meant to provide information about the services and help available and basically to ensure that people know that they are not alone. Many of the regular posters posted information or experience which is relevant to them. We made it a sticky because it is a useful resource if it is used properly - people should stick to the topic.

I don't think we need another specific thread for health issues aside from MH. There are various forums on Boards.ie that relate to health issues. If people wish to suggest any that may be related to the information in this forum, then we can link them through the useful infoormation sticky.
    Emme wrote: »
    Fair enough,but farming families are often victims of poor mental health facilities. A family living in a city like Dublin would find it easier to access mental health services than a family living miles away from the nearest town.

Farming is an isolated and often stressful profession. Farmers and their families need support and often they can't find it. Older generations might be from a generation that kept a stiff upper lip and didn't complain and this would discourage the younger generations from discussing their problems. The older generation might remember a time when admitting to mental illness meant you were likely to be incarcerated for life in the County Home.

I don't know if the poor family in Carlow had any farming links, but what happened to them could happen to any family in Ireland, including farming families.

There is an Online Dating forum on boards where people can ask to sign up to discuss that issue. If there was enough demand, perhaps a similar forum could be set up for depression and other health issues in rural Ireland. I know this is off topic, but there were a number of fatal farm accidents recently involving children. The families of these children will be suffering now. I think it would be useful to set up a dedicated thread to discuss farming related health issues, be they mental or physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

reilig wrote: »
    This thread was set up specifically as a resource for people from a farming background to deal with mental health issues. It is meant to provide information about the services and help available and basically to ensure that people know that they are not alone. Many of the regular posters posted information or experience which is relevant to them. We made it a sticky because it is a useful resource if it is used properly - people should stick to the topic.

I don't think we need another specific thread for health issues aside from MH. There are various forums on Boards.ie that relate to health issues. If people wish to suggest any that may be related to the information in this forum, then we can link them through the useful infoormation sticky.

I come from a farming background so I have an idea of some problems farmers face (or may not want to admit to). Depression is one of these and there are many causes, including isolation, bereavement and a feeling that there is no help available. I think that despite lip service to progress, depression is still seen as a sign of weakness in farming communities and people may make glib references to it but don't really want to admit suffering from it themselves.

I wish everyone all the best here and I wish CJA James all the best in her uphill struggle to be heard.

It began only a couple of months back, with the aim of setting up a help and contact network aimed at tackling the scourge of suicide.

Link to newspaper article on it here:
    http://www.connachttribune.ie/farming-news-galway/item/688-meeting-to-offer-people-a-chance-to-tackle-the-ongoing-suicide-problem

Hi Folks

I am writing this post to bring to your attention the grave wrong doing that is being proposed by your government at present. If their ‘plan’ is allowed go ahead, it will have fair reaching and devastating consequences for the people of the Connacht region for many years to come, none more so than those suffering from severe depression and mental illness.

The government are planning to close ALL acute beds in St. Brigid’s Mental Hospital Admissions Unit in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway. This is one of the countries top state of the art psychiatric facilities, a whopping €2.8m having been spent on it in the last two years. And now they plan to close it – utter madness.

An admissions acute unit is to a severely suicidal person, what an accident and emergency department is to a person involved in a serious farm or road traffic accident. We are literally talking life or death. If these beds are allowed to be closed, there will be no service, no body for a distressed suicidal person in the middle of the night to seek help and be looked after.

There is a lot of ‘spin’ being put on this by members of the government and the top officials in the HSE through both local and national media. But make no mistake - these steps are being taken not because the service is wholly inadequate, but rather as a cost cutting exercise. People do not come into their decisions. It is once again an attack on the weak and most vulnerable members in our society.

I was at a public meeting in Gullane’s Hotel, Ballinasloe on Monday night organised to discuss this serious issue. A crowd of 500 strong turned out in force to vent their anger and frustrations at what is being proposed. Many were service users and their families who told personally of what the service meant to them and how they would be lost without it. It was very emotive stuff.

Many politicians from Galway and Roscommon were in attendance. Also among the attendees were Maura Canning and Michael Flynn from the IFA. Maura voiced her concerns for this proposed closure and told of her planned meeting with the minister in the coming days on this issue and also to discuss the seriously high suicide figures for East Galway.

There is to be a public march organised for September. It looks like it will take place in Ballinasloe. I do not have details of the exact date yet, but I will post it here as and when I get word of it. I am calling on everyone and anyone here from the Connacht area, and indeed neighbouring counties, to make their way to this march if at all possible. Your support would be gratefully appreciated.

I think it's on the front page of the Galway Advertiser and also:
    http://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/63424/ballinasloe-locals-to-protest-at-bed-closures

Also FYI page 4 of this weeks Connacht Tribune is all taken up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 CJA James

I realise the farming community are more private but I think getting better, men find it more difficult anyhow to ask for help when feeling down but the farming community find it even harder and small communities and will not attend local hospitals as they feel all people know they attended, thats why we need counselling facilities in non HSE arena, HSE useless anyhow, no time for talking, dishing out the tablets and out the door, thats no good for people in isolation and lonely.

Hi CJA James

I hope that your post above is not in reponse to my recent postings. I agree with you that counselling and talk therapy sessions are of enormous benefit to some people suffering from depression. However there will always be a need for acute mental health facilities for those that are severely unwell and borderline suicidal.

For those that are interested. .... march takes place Sunday week 15th Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I won't make it Muckit but I hope ye get a great turnout

just do it wrote: »
    I won't make it Muckit but I hope ye get a great turnout

Thanks for the support JDI. I don't really suspect there will be many fellow f&f boardies there but there are always as many guests as members on here. Some may be from around. it may suit them to go. These protests are a numbers game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CJA James

I agree, we need mental health services, but unfortunately they are very poor and not at all up to the level they should be.

Muckit wrote: »
    For those that are interested. .... march takes place Sunday week 15th Sept

The march was a resounding success. Fair play to everyone that supported and took part on the day. We even made the news ;)!! It's not over by a long shot, but at least it's a good start...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

kerryjack wrote: »
    That is a very bold , politically incorrect statement but i have to agree with it , There is a lot of lads going around with no jobs and very little purpose in life. If every man had a job and got reasonably well paid for it we would be much happier, in a lot of houses now its the man that's stay at home and herself out working, that cant be right, man was not programmed to be changing nappies and dropping kids to school , thousands of years of evolution and it has come down to this, in an other thousand years a man will have grown Tits and will be the weaker sex and they will be looking back in history and wondering where it all went wrong , it all started when a man started changing nappies , am i a sexist, yes i am , O K guys lets get back doing manly things like pub every evening and eating the dinner out of the bin when we get home the next generation will thank us for it.
    Just reading through this thread as I have a friend in need, good job I was finished drinking my tea :D
    My friend has been feeling down lately and every time he mentions it to his wife she just tells him to man up, in desperation he turned to texting a married woman that he knows for a shoulder to cry on.
    Wife hears this an instantly thinks affair world war 3 erupts and his wife leaves bringing the kids with her so now hes home alone with no one around to talk to at all.
    He got rid of his mobile to prove that he wouldn't talk to the other woman again so now has no connection with the outside world at all.
    They both worked hard during the celtic tiger to get the farm where they wanted and now this, he neither drinks nor smokes so he can give his kids what they need.
    Hes going through the motions of everyday work but youd know things aren't getting done right.
    How do I help him as he sees himself as weak and wont talk to another man about it just laughs it off with a tear in his eye. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Its poor form on the wifes behalf , hard to believe people like that cant be a bit more understanding . I dont know what to say to him but sure call on him regularly and if he is on the internet tell him to have a read of the farming forum here it might be some help to him if he has nowhere else to chat/vent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

Keep an eye on him and let him know you take his problem seriously. And when he talks just listen.

If you could get him to see the doctor and tell him how he's feeling the doctor will know what to do next.

It is not good for him to be on his own. It's so easy to lose all perspective when you alone with your thoughts.

Advertisement