Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What youtubers are you following at the mo?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Irish/UK farms:
    Gerry6420
    Farmer Phil
    George Saunders
    Tom Pemberton Farm Life

US Farms:
    Welker Farms
    Millennial Farmer
    10th Generation Dairyman

They are just the video bloggers I follow. Gerry is probably my favourite, I love the videos with the mint 2850. The videos are well edited with good camera work. Welker Farms would be my favourite US based video bloggers, the videos of them restoring the Bug Bud is fantastic.

I also follow Grassmen, Conor Ryan and a lot of other pages like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I like the youtube videos of the Canadian shepherdess, very good she has seen most stuff with regard to sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I like the youtube videos of the Canadian shepherdess, very good she has seen most stuff with regard to sheep

Sandi Brock? Interesting to watch. Completely indoor operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Sandi Brock? Interesting to watch. Completely indoor operation.

Ya, she's good. Interesting to see her repairing the lambs wonky legs.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement

Ya, she's good. Interesting to see her repairing the lambs wonky legs.

the woman is a serious prblem solver with sheep. theres really no better way to learn about sheep farming other than going and doing it.

does anyone else ever wonder that sheep farming in ireland in never looked upon with the same level of respect or interest as a stand alone industry the same way tillage, beef or dairy is? i ften wondered why this was ? imo its as specalist an industry as pigs or poultry. its also a numbers game and probably can be more practical to work with big numbers in the same way as pigs and pouultry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

einn32 wrote: »
    Farmer Phil I get a good laugh off!

Yeah his videos are good craic. He comes across as just a completely ordinary midlands fella. The little digs he gets at the uncle are hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Jimmy Broadbent
    Matt Malone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Dickie10 wrote: »
    the woman is a serious prblem solver with sheep. theres really no better way to learn about sheep farming other than going and doing it.

does anyone else ever wonder that sheep farming in ireland in never looked upon with the same level of respect or interest as a stand alone industry the same way tillage, beef or dairy is? i ften wondered why this was ? imo its as specalist an industry as pigs or poultry. its also a numbers game and probably can be more practical to work with big numbers in the same way as pigs and pouultry

That's because the typical sheep farmer is not buying tens of thousands of euros of sprays, chemical fertilizers and shiny metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That's because the typical sheep farmer is not buying tens of thousands of euros of sprays, chemical fertilizers and shiny metal.

Exactly! The main costs in sheep farming is fencing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

ganmo wrote: »
    Exactly! The main costs in sheep farming is fencing.

Exactly. Being good at fencing for sheep is as much of a skill as being a good plough man in tillage or a good stock man in cows. Sheep farming is looked upon as the beef farmers poorer cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Exactly. Being good at fencing for sheep is as much of a skill as being a good plough man in tillage or a good stock man in cows. Sheep farming is looked upon as the beef farmers poorer cousin.

I think the beef farming is more forgiving than sheep. If everything isn't done right with them everything will go wrong with them. I'd say money wise they are ahead of beef as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Angus Glover. Young fella with sucklers in Scotland.
    He has a very interesting slurry tanker. It has an anger instead of a tube to self fill out of a lagoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Bullocks wrote: »
    I think the beef farming is more forgiving than sheep. If everything isn't done right with them everything will go wrong with them. I'd say money wise they are ahead of beef as well

I wouldn't think so, if you cost labour into both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I wouldn't think so, if you cost labour into both.

Hard to compare, as there are extremes in both I guess...

Looking at page 3 here there isn't much between them... They are both still well behind both tillage and dairy...
    That's 2017 data though...

Hard to compare, as there are extremes in both I guess...

Looking at page 3 here there isn't much between them... They are both still well behind both tillage and dairy...
    That's 2017 data though...

I tend to light the fire with Teagasc stuff anymore 😠Honestly I'd be walking a different path from any they suggest.

I think lads make work for themselves chasing objectives others tell them they should be going for. Wedge shaped animals will birth easier. Appropriate type/weight/density animal and grazing system for the farm reduces or even removes need for concs feeding & housing. Focus on profit, not production.

With sheep work is multiplied, if you take a cow as a LU to 7 ewes. Tag 1 calf or maybe 14 lambs, replicate that for dosing, vaccinations, foot issues, bolusing, pour ons, daily checks, and add dipping, shearing, foxes, greycrows on for ****z and giggles.

Tb testing 2 days a year doesn't seem much work compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I tend to light the fire with Teagasc stuff anymore 😠Honestly I'd be walking a different path from any they suggest.

I think lads make work for themselves chasing objectives others tell them they should be going for. Wedge shaped animals will birth easier. Appropriate type/weight/density animal and grazing system for the farm reduces or even removes need for concs feeding & housing. Focus on profit, not production.

With sheep work is multiplied, if you take a cow as a LU to 7 ewes. Tag 1 calf or maybe 14 lambs, replicate that for dosing, vaccinations, foot issues, bolusing, pour ons, daily checks, and add dipping, shearing, foxes, greycrows on for ****z and giggles.

Tb testing 2 days a year doesn't seem much work compared.

Cant argue with any of what you said... Its very hard to compare the two systems, the Teasgasc report gave some sort of numbers to allow a comparison...

Sheep have more following them. But then, they are able to manage away themselves more too in another way. Cattle will be coming in soon in most places, sheep wont. Sheep will trick away in places the majority of cattle wouldn't...

Its prob down to the farmer and/or the farm really, neither system will make a lad a millionaire.

Sheep farming is much more independent of official involvement, and that's an important factor to some individuala/personalities.
    As one lad said to me" you can take a sheep out and sell her any day of the year, and it's no f###ers business but your own"!

not sure i understand? what do u mean no ones business? can you not take a bullock out and sell him and its the same. if u dont have decent set up with sheep forget it. lads think sheep are something they can dip in and out of . most dip in get burnt by workload /disease/poor magaement/not enough skills/intrest/knowlodge and curse the day a sheep ever came round the place and they promptly vow never to have them again. a few lads dipping there toes with store lambs this year are getting a severe shock with maggots riddling lambs in mid october after diping them in some cases in early sept. not dosing etc

He was referring to tagging regulations, testing regulations, passports, registers, knackery slips etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'm​ often told that my grandfather (lifelong sheep man who kept some cattle) always maintained you should need a license to keep sheep and commit to them for at least 5 years at a time. His thinking being it was the men who moved in and out of them that ruined it for everyone, they only bought in at the dear times and hammered them again at the first sign of hard times. If you had average ground and the necessary facilities I'm almost certain sheep are a better bet than beef cattle even if there's more labour required. Sheep definitely aren't for everyone but there's opportunities for interested people that aren't possible in the beef sector.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    He was referring to tagging regulations, testing regulations, passports, registers, knackery slips etc, etc.

I get the impression he's done no sheep paperwork?

Cant argue with any of what you said... Its very hard to compare the two systems, the Teasgasc report gave some sort of numbers to allow a comparison...

Sheep have more following them. But then, they are able to manage away themselves more too in another way. Cattle will be coming in soon in most places, sheep wont. Sheep will trick away in places the majority of cattle wouldn't...

Its prob down to the farmer and/or the farm really, neither system will make a lad a millionaire.

Most of that is down to the stock & systems a farmer decides to run, they're avoidable human errors, as in putting an animal in a location that neither she nor the location was made for. There have been breed threads on here in the last couple of months that address both poaching and cost arguments - if a farmer is minded to adapt a system to fit those animals.

We've also erred by breeding problems into stock, making them soft and reliant on human inputs. Locally I always ask "Who doses, vaccinates, feeds, houses, etc the wild deer & goats? What shape are they in?" The answers, no one, usually great, because in nature the strongest survive, no crutches available for those not passing the grade.

How have we let farm animals deviate so much from that!

But if farmers are of a mind to keep cutting the Christmas turkey in half cos that's the way Grandma used to do it, well, that's a whole different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I watched this last night. A very honest appraisal of their business.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Good video put up by hoof gp how they lost the family farm etc
    Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I use it a bit if you get stuck at something like cleaning filter on a new washing machine. Lastly had to change bulbs on daughter number plate light and could not remove the holders. Watched it on YouTube. You put in make and model of anything and it shows you how to do it. No good with agri machinery. But you see how to edge a chainsaw.

However came across this lately

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OnQTDO8lL8I

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement