Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Bigger than a Colossus? Asura's Wrath confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ubisoft Planning Animated TV Adaptations of Popular Game Franchises
    The Paris-based company’s film and television division is developing a slate of animated series inspired by its existing IP. First up: a Mars-set Rabbids Invasion special, after four successful seasons of the France 3/Netflix/Nickelodeon kids show. Other family-friendly programs in the works include a comedy-adventure inspired by the popular Rayman franchise and Hungry Shark Squad, based on the mobile game Hungry Shark.

“Every show has a different target that it’s aiming at and a different format,” Ubisoft Film & Television managing director Helene Juguet tells The Hollywood Reporter.

For slightly older viewers, Ubisoft is toning down its M-rated Watch Dogs action-adventure franchise for a tamer “cybermystery” aimed at tweens. The show centers on a teenaged "super hacker" who solves crimes in her high school. Meanwhile, the company has partnered with Netflix’s Castlevania producer Adi Shankar for the young-adult series Captain Laserhawk: A Blood Dragon Vibe (based on the M-rated Far Cry 3 expansion Blood Dragon), which will form a multiverse with other Ubisoft titles. The company also is working on an animated sketch comedy about video game culture.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ubisoft-planning-animated-tv-adaptations-popular-game-franchises-1246162

Reminds me of cartoons like Starship Troopers, Robocop and Toxic Avenger based on 18-rated movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Adi Shankar doing Blood Dragon? Yes ****ing please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, a fresh coat of paint can't hide how poorly the gameplay has aged. Am I imagining things or wasn't there already a remake of Goldeneye; with Daniel Craig right?

Mostly surprised this hasn't been "cease and desist"ed into oblivion TBH :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

There was also GoldenEye source from a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

That was just multiplayer, this is the single player campaign right?

I'll play it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Man, a fresh coat of paint can't hide how poorly the gameplay has aged. Am I imagining things or wasn't there already a remake of Goldeneye; with Daniel Craig right?

Mostly surprised this hasn't been "cease and desist"ed into oblivion TBH :eek:

There was the remake on Wii, PS3 and 360
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_007_(2010_video_game)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

A little old but still an interesting article by IGN (crazy right) about platform profit cuts.

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/10/07/report-steams-30-cut-is-actually-the-industry-standard archive

The place I got this story from mentioned that Valve could consider offering an 'Epic' tier listing model. Where all the publisher/developer gets is a store page. No community hub, screenshot uploads, steamworks online integration, achievements, workshop, forums etc. Then Valve could only take 12%. Sort of like an opt-out of all the extra value Steam provides if the publisher really thinks the game will stand on its own and doesn't need anything like that.

Speaking of Valve. Steam will get a feature to allow online-multiplayer of games that were originally local-multiplayer only. https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/dfqga7/steam_will_be_adding_new_feature_called_remote/ The absolute best use of streaming and online service gaming I've ever heard tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

They should absolutely do a re-release for current gen & not half ass the Switch port. It's the best game in the series imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CastorTroy wrote: »

Wasn't really a remake really, though they tried to badge it as such. More a reimagining, with Daniel Craig as Bond, in similar-ish levels/scenarios.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it played very close to a Call of Duty game. I actually really enjoyed what I played of it but it's a very different game than the open non linear levels of the original.

I'd actually go as far to say that the reimagining is a far better game than the original which has aged like poo, though they are very different games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »
    Return of the Obra Dinn is coming to console. Heard so much about this that I'm dying to play it, so this is good news for me, as my laptop can't handle games, and my PC is currently in storage.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1169523057427439623

For whatever reason, this really snuck up on me. I guess I'm trying to convince myself that it's not autumn.

Anyway, this is out on console now.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1185211483677790209?s=19

I'm hoping this is one of these situations where you tease something that will happen

Poor Chibiterasu. Always forgotten
    Okamiden-title.jpg

But I would happily play another Okami sequel. Played the first on the Wii and it was the best non-Zelda Zelda I've played

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I remember playing it for a bit back in the day, but never went back to it. Picked up the HD remake for the PS4 not too long ago. Think I was near enough the end and for some reason didn't go back to it. I'd be very happy with a sequel, may make me finish the first one!

And I would have played Okamiden, but it only ever came out on the DS, which I didn't have. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

With so many sales so close together, how to they make any sales on the days in between? Surely you'd just wait for the next sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Well im betting the first one is a Holloween sale, which will likely just be a sale on horror games, then the black friday cash in sale and then a Chrimbo sale.. Tiz the season..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Digital games don't tend to get permanently reduced, it full price then 20%, full price then 30%, and so on.

So what ever sales they so make are above the normal price,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

RPS shared a report which suggests Gaming Addiction as a clinical condition may not be cut & dry, emphasising that external factors are more critical in children's development (or lack thereof). I would automatically question the bona fides of the Institute who conducted the report, as sometimes they can be astroturf lobbying groups, or bought shills, but if it's on the up & up it's an interesting report:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/22/theres-insufficient-evidence-to-call-gaming-disorder-its-own-clinical-condition-report-says/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I see Bethesda were feeling a bit lonely after the outcry of how ****e Fallout 76 was, and have decided to make it even worse by offering a subscription service into the mix. $12.99 a month (or $99 a year) for this steaming pile of garbage. The balls on them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kiith wrote: »
    I see Bethesda were feeling a bit lonely after the outcry of how ****e Fallout 76 was, and have decided to make it even worse by offering a subscription service into the mix. $12.99 a month (or $99 a year) for this steaming pile of garbage. The balls on them :pac:

What does this subscription get you :confused:

I admire Bethesda in a way, this isn't so much as having a brass neck it's so far above & beyond that. They somehow have some people playing & paying for this sh!t but they decide to triple down on them after a horrific past 12 months where they treated their customers like sh!t now they ask them to pay for the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

TitianGerm wrote: »
    What does this subscription get you :confused:
    Todd Howard prank calls you randomly in the middle of the night once a month :pac:

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/fallout1st

PRIVATE WORLDS|Play in a Private World exclusively for you and up to seven friends.
    SCRAPBOX|Unlimited storage for crafting components in your own new Scrapbox container.
    SURVIVAL TENT|A new placeable fast travel point with a Stash, Sleeping Bag, and more for your basic needs.
    ATOMS|Receive 1,650 Atoms per month to use in the Atomic Shop.
    RANGER ARMOR OUTFIT|An iconic Fallout outfit, exclusively for members.
    ICONS & EMOTES PACK|Unique icons and emotes, available only to members.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Todd Howard prank calls you randomly in the middle of the night once a month :pac:

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/fallout1st

PRIVATE WORLDS|Play in a Private World exclusively for you and up to seven friends.
    SCRAPBOX|Unlimited storage for crafting components in your own new Scrapbox container.
    SURVIVAL TENT|A new placeable fast travel point with a Stash, Sleeping Bag, and more for your basic needs.
    ATOMS|Receive 1,650 Atoms per month to use in the Atomic Shop.
    RANGER ARMOR OUTFIT|An iconic Fallout outfit, exclusively for members.
    ICONS & EMOTES PACK|Unique icons and emotes, available only to members.

Wow where do I sign up. Although there probably isn't a need for a private world seeing as no one plays the fecking thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Is there a market as apathetic as gamers?

WWE 2K20 is an utter shambles but will still sell loads and won't have any impact on the future of the series.

Fifa. People buy it every year, moan about it all year and then buy it again. I know because I did this for close to a decade. This year is the first I said "Fùck that" and haven't bought it.

Bethesda. Their games are such bug-riddled messes that it's become a meme and Todd Howard isn't viewed as a con-man but instead has this lovable rogue image.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement