Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Authority purchasing my investment property

• 17-04-2019 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

I have an investment property with a HAP tenant in situ. I gave the tenant the legal amount of notice to vacate the property a number of months ago. That date is approaching soon. The local authority that pays me the HAP have just asked me if I'd extend the vacation date. They've also asked if I'd be interested in selling to them.

It's a two bed, mid-terraced house. There are similar on Daft and Myhome ranging between €230k to €260k asking prices.

It would be a very appealing option to me considering the property wouldn't be vacant at any stage and there would be no estate agent fees. It would also mean my (very good and nice) tenant would be housed.

Has anyone any experience of this? My key questions are can I expect a fair price and how long the process might take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's very likely that they'll want vacant possession. The house will be given to the person at the top of the housing list not your current tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The council will, in that case, re-house your existing tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Currently have a thread on this if you want to look

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Caranica wrote: »
    It's very likely that they'll want vacant possession. The house will be given to the person at the top of the housing list not your current tenants.

The Council can also buy and leave the tenant as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Pipmae

rightmove wrote: »
    Currently have a thread on this if you want to look

Thanks I found it - I'll have a browse now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Worst thing is they want complete empty house. I now have to throw out perfectly good gear

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

rightmove wrote: »
    Worst thing is they want complete empty house. I now have to throw out perfectly good gear

Put up on donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I believe the house has to go on the open market before the council will buy it. Having sitting tenants will reduce the market for the house and the council will probably offer on the low side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Pipmae

The house was let unfurnished so it being left empty is absolutely no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

kceire wrote: »

Can confirm this for DCC anyway.

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    Can confirm this for DCC anyway.

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown definitely want vacant possession and I'm pretty sure Fingal do too

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

My sister sold her apartment recently to DCC. They insisted on vacant possession and rehoused the tenant elsewhere. The tenant really wanted to stay.

Everything had to be cleared that wasn't a fixture or fitting.......they wanted the washing machine, fridge freezer etc gone even though they were only 2 years old. The only appliance that could stay was the fitted cooker and hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

kceire wrote: »

Not sure this is correct, think vacant possession is a condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭arbour

kceire wrote:

If the council buy the property with the tenant Insitu they can leave the tenant there as long as the property meets their requirements ie not overcrowded or under occupied etc.

arbour wrote: »
    If the council buy the property with the tenant Insitu they can leave the tenant there as long as the property meets their requirements ie not overcrowded or under occupied etc.

But if the tenant is #320 on the housing list how is that fair to the person at #1?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

arbour wrote: »

Sounds practical but would the council seriously low ball when offering a bid?

Advertisement