Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski Season 2018/2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Hi....who here wants to help a brother out!
    Never skied before....3 to 4 of us looking to go around the 9th March for 4 days or so.
    Flights to Munich looked at......
    Where and how do I proceed....
    Any useful website regarding
    Transfers/trains
    Accomadation
    Or any body recommend a sort of package website that allow you just to search for the 4 days rather than 7 days which is what I seem to always end up.
    Thanks a million in advance to replies

I recently went to Mayrhofen through Munich airport. The train is straightforward and fairly regular. One ticket will cover your whole journey across 3 trains from the airport S-Bahn station all the way to the resort. Book through the Deusche Bahn website and you can get a flexible ticket incase your flight is delayed. If there's a few of ye it could be worth considering hiring a car because the trains are expensive enough (I think its was about 80 euro return). Lots of Austrian resorts are low in the valley so you wouldn't need to be traversing mountain passes.

We booked through booking.com, but unless you're very lucky you will have to do a bit more work and/or wait until quite close to the dates because proprietors will prefer to fill their accommodation for a full week.

Lift passes can be bought in resort but you might prefer to have them arranged in advance so that you don't have to queue for them.

Lots of resorts have websites that list the equipment rentals and ski schools in resort.

For early March, check out reviews and/or ask here for any resorts you're considering. In Austria some resorts eg. Soll have the beginner slopes down in the valley at low altitude and I've heard of stories of streams running down the beginner slope in warm weather.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Having been to both id have said Soll is more beginner friendly and easier to get accommodation for less than 7 days. There is a risk everywhere that isn't high altitude or on a glacier that the snow will be crap the later in the season you go. The beginner slope in Soll is at about 650m above sea level but its also barely a slope and id say any instructor is going to have you up the mountain on the blue slopes. I had my kids (5 and under) in ski school there last week and they weren't on it at all. Soll has night skiing wed-sat which is a good way to pack more into a short trip. You wont go far wrong with either. There are loads of resorts close to Munich such as Garmisch, Saalbach, Kitzbuhel, kirchberg etc. Ive used tirol-taxi.at for transfers before they do both private and shared transport to resorts or you could also rent a car.

To cover all your bases you need to look at
    flight
    transfer
    accommodation
    ski hire
    ski lessons

You can get ski pass in resort handy enough.

For soll:
    accommodation - try the tourist info site (https://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/) or booking.com
    ski hire - Snow and Fun via skiset.co.uk
    ski lessons - mountain mind or skischule soell

• Registered Users Posts: 42 A1Son

I Know Austria, France, Switzerland and Italy are always mentioned for ski holidays, but for a beginner, Jasna, Slovakia is worth checking out. Lifts stay open until mid-April, so early March is a great time to be hitting the slopes. A 4 day pass from the 9th is €131 and a 4 day pass from the 10th is €117. Fly dub-brat with Ryanair. A transfer on a direct train leaves you just 25min from the resort is about €20 return. Transfer time is between 2.5 and 3hrs. Private transfer is €180 1 way for up to 8 passengers. Jasna has a modern lift system, resort is expanding each year and the off-piste is endless. No problem getting a 4 or 5 night stay here for a small group. If your looking for a cozy chalet/ski lodge check out Liptov Lodge run by an Irish/Slovak couple. Your own private Irish bar in the Lodge. Rentals are still very reasonable and food and drink in the resort are much lower than the larger European resorts. With everything taken into account, a ski holiday in Jasna will cost you less than half the price of most other resorts. You can still buy beers for around a €1 here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Hi....who here wants to help a brother out!
    Never skied before....3 to 4 of us looking to go around the 9th March for 4 days or so.
    Flights to Munich looked at......
    Where and how do I proceed....
    Any useful website regarding
    Transfers/trains
    Accomadation
    Or any body recommend a sort of package website that allow you just to search for the 4 days rather than 7 days which is what I seem to always end up.
    Thanks a million in advance to replies

I did this 2 years ago. We found it hard to get accomodation for 4 nights. In the end Brixen was the only viable option. The accomodation was excellent but there's not a lot to do in Brixen. Only a couple of restaurants.
    The skiing was excellent though with access to a massive ski area.
    We used Munich Ski Shuttle for the transfer and booking.com for accomodation.

We flew out early Thursday morning with Aer Lingus and we were on the slopes by 12ish. We skied until 2pm or so on Sunday afternoon. A great few days.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

transfer wise if you get the morning fight to munich it is a 45 minute tram to munich main train station you can buy a return ticket Worgl about €35 from the ticket machine (english translation naturally!) they run every 45 minutes from munich the announcements are in german but are also on boards around the station.
    if you are there early in the morning on saturday/sunday you will see people heading off on the trains in ski gear to go skiing for the day some will be tottering around on their ski boots poles and skis in hand! It is a wonderful sight !

from worgl you are close to Soll Westendorf hopfgartin and a couple of others you can take the local bus for a couple for a of quid or a taxi (I forget how much. But feck it your on holiday go mad!)

I went 2 yeas ago to westendorf and friends stayed in a hotel near the train station (in westendorf) for 4 days so that might be an option they had a car to get to the ski lifts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Heading to Bankso in 2 weeks. Anyone have any tops recommendations for bars or restaurants?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Weather for Central Europe looks unseasobly warm next week and the week after.
    I imagine that will have an affect on the slopes. Heading to Mayrhofen end of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

Weather for Central Europe looks unseasobly warm next week and the week after.
    I imagine that will have an affect on the slopes. Heading to Mayrhofen end of Feb.

Landed in Mayrhofen today. Will post an update at the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Val D'Isere next weekend, really hope forecasts aren't right..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

So Ischgl then...

Well that was by far the best week of boarding I've ever done. It's just a brilliant resort. Fantastic piste skiing and lift system on the mountain. Only long queue for a lift was on the first day when the link from the Swiss side was closing due to incoming high winds so everyone had to head back at the same time. Not much can be done about that though.

Snowed all day Monday and into Tuesday morning which dumped at least a foot of fresh up on the mountain. Blue skies every day followed and spent the rest of the week doing more off piste, tree runs etc than I've done combined on previous trips. Hired a guide on Thursday and did the scariest and longest powder lines I've ever ridden. Another thing struck off the bucket list. Still loads of easily accessible powder to be found on Friday whereas I found in St Anton last year it was tracked out within a day or two.

Apres ski was great. No on slope apres like St Anton but loads of bars at the end of the slopes. Usually headed to Freeride. Good tunes, girls on the bar and zero cheesy europop sh!te (though there's plenty of places for that if it's your cup of tea):p The Golden Eagle up in the town was a good spot for a few pints, a chat and a bit of classic rock. Kiwi Bar also up in the town was a decent spot aswell.

Best week ever and can't wait to go back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Heading to Les Arcs area on the weekend for a week, staying in Plan Peisey. Any recommendations for a ski school/instructor here?
    Looking for either small group lessons or private lessons.

Trevor O wrote: »
    Landed in Mayrhofen today. Will post an update at the end of the week.

How does it look in Mayrhofen?

Someone advised me to bring a back protector when skiing to prevent injury. What do the experts here reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Never heard of one to be honest - do boarders wear them?

Helmet a good idea certainly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Some boarders wear them but usually just in the snowpark

Wouldn't think there'd be any need for one if you're just skiing pistes/off piste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Any reports from Tignes / Val D'Isere on conditions? May need to pack the flip flops.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Someone advised me to bring a back protector when skiing to prevent injury. What do the experts here reckon?

As a beginner cant imagine it doing anything but hindering you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Great yoke off piste if steep not warranted if skiing on piste as you get enough speed up

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

dzer2 wrote: »
    Great yoke off piste if steep not warranted if skiing on piste as you get enough speed up

Wouldn't think there's a need for one if you just get an off-piste backpack with one built in (most of them do).

I reckon only needed in the snow park!

I was told the back protector was to stop people running into your back when you are on the ground. As a beginner I expect to be on the ground a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I was told the back protector was to stop people running into your back when you are on the ground. As a beginner I expect to be on the ground a lot.

Not at all.

You should be fine without a back protector, however if it's boarding you're doing not skiing, I highly recommend wearing crash pants/shorts with good coccyx protection until you get going at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Are you skiing or snowboarding? Helmet and crash pants if boarding, not sure you’ll be on your butt as much if skiing, dont know any skiers who have a back protector for general cruising.

Are you skiing or snowboarding? Helmet and crash pants if boarding, not sure you’ll be on your butt as much if skiing, dont know any skiers who have a back protector for general cruising.

Skiing only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

8 days and counting.... until 11 nights in Ischgl.. sweet Jesus it cant come soon enough :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

How does it look in Mayrhofen?

It was a fantastic week except for the Friday which was zero visibility. Every other day was blue skies!

For anyone planning on eating out when they get there, a word of warning: Book ahead of time. We went out one night with no booking and got turned away from everywhere except the pub that did pizzas. That same night we booked dinners for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

cocker5 wrote: »
    until 11 nights in Ischgl..:

The boom is back!

You'll need a new liver, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Off to Gressoney on Saturday for a week, looking forward to a new location! I've only done the odd day here and there in Cervinia and Pila over the last few years so this is the first proper trip to Italy since my first beginner trip to Livigno a good few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Off to Gressoney on Saturday for a week, looking forward to a new location! I've only done the odd day here and there in Cervinia and Pila over the last few years so this is the first proper trip to Italy since my first beginner trip to Livigno a good few years ago.
    I was there last year, an underrated place and very quiet compared to the bigger resorts. The only real annoyance was the walks from some pistes to the lift back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

a148pro wrote: »
    The boom is back!

You'll need a new liver, enjoy

Ha!!

Been saving my liver now for a month now... I'm ready to go :)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

cocker5 wrote: »
    8 days and counting.... until 11 nights in Ischgl.. sweet Jesus it cant come soon enough :cool:

Great place, I'm not sure which I enjoy more, the runs down to Samnaun or the chilling afterwards in Freeride and Schatzi ....

Advertisement