Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

It's one and done too, no best of 5 or 7 series.
    It is and it isn't.

7th vs 8th - win and you're through, lose and you get a second chance
    9th vs 10th - win and you get a second chance at making the 8th seed, lose and you're done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Corvo wrote: »
    Lakers v Warriors will be great
    Wonder will Steve Kerr finally let Steph go bonkers and we see him knock down 15 3's on the way to an 80 point game? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Corvo

Top Dog wrote: »
    Wonder will Steve Kerr finally let Steph go bonkers and we see him knock down 15 3's on the way to an 80 point game? :D

I think they've handled Curry pretty well in their recent games in the regular season and they ended up blowing them out so I imagine the Lakers are confident of a win, especially now that LeBron is back and AD is basically unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Lakers are a horrible match up for the Warriors. I can
    Only see onecc by winner there even with a cold LeBron.

Top Dog wrote: »

Only way I can see Golden State win is if Curry is lights out AND some of the others play above themselves. It’s a horrible match up for them.

• Advertisement

Kendrick Perkins talking absolute bollocks again for the last few days. How in the hell does this guy have a job? Honestly if this isn’t tokenism I don’t know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Jaylen Brown gone for the rest of the year for the Celtics. They may as well just head away for the holidays now

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Kendrick Perkins talking absolute bollocks again for the last few days. How in the hell does this guy have a job? Honestly if this isn’t tokenism I don’t know what is.

Following the same formula as Bayless and Smith, talk absolute trout about sport, make bizzare takes, get people annoyed and get more clicks of their vids/tweets and more mentions on twitter/forums like (we're doing right now!) and inevitably drive more traffic to their station. Like seriously, who watches Stephen Smith or Skip Bayless for actual intellectual content yet they're probably the two best paid analysts in the game.

2smiggy wrote: »
    Jaylen Brown gone for the rest of the year for the Celtics. They may as well just head away for the holidays now

As a Celtics fan I can tell you even with him they were going nowhere this year.

Coneygree wrote: »
    Following the same formula as Bayless and Smith, talk absolute trout about sport, make bizzare takes, get people annoyed and get more clicks of their vids/tweets and more mentions on twitter/forums like (we're doing right now!) and inevitably drive more traffic to their station. Like seriously, who watches Stephen Smith or Skip Bayless for actual intellectual content yet they're probably the two best paid analysts in the game.

Perkins makes Bayless and Smith look like rocket scientists compared to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Unfortunately, that's the sort of stuff that sells.

At least Skip is an actual fantastic writer when he puts his mind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Only way I can see Golden State win is if Curry is lights out AND some of the others play above themselves. It’s a horrible match up for them.

I agree, terrible matchup for Warriors, AD will have a field day. I have a feeling the Lakers might be ok, LeBron is on the way back and if him and AD are close to healthy they will be hard team to beat
    Although I love the possibility of playing the Lakers in the play in tournament it’s a tough reward for getting 8th (hopefully 8th)

What are your thoughts on the play in tournament ?, I’ve been on the fence, but I do think it would probably be a good decision for the future. I think it makes things more interesting. Teams will be less inclined to tank so early, it still highly favors 7th and 8th teams while giving 9th and 10th fair chance. Gone will be the days of teams in 9th seed in the West winning more games than the 5th seed in the east but not getting a shot at playoffs. I highly doubt it will ever affect the likely outcome of winner of any of those teams will never actually win, winner usually finish in top two of regular season, Lakers this year could be an outlier but in general I think it would hold true.

I agree, terrible matchup for Warriors, AD will have a field day. I have a feeling the Lakers might be ok, LeBron is on the way back and if him and AD are close to healthy they will be hard team to beat
    Although I love the possibility of playing the Lakers in the play in tournament it’s a tough reward for getting 8th (hopefully 8th)

What are your thoughts on the play in tournament ?, I’ve been on the fence, but I do think it would probably be a good decision for the future. I think it makes things more interesting. Teams will be less inclined to tank so early, it still highly favors 7th and 8th teams while giving 9th and 10th fair chance. Gone will be the days of teams in 9th seed in the West winning more games than the 5th seed in the east but not getting a shot at playoffs. I highly doubt it will ever affect the likely outcome of winner of any of those teams will never actually win, winner usually finish in top two of regular season, Lakers this year could be an outlier but in general I think it would hold true.

I like it. I'm surprised how much I like it TBH. It's made the last 2 months of the regular season way more exciting than usual, and made what would normally be the least interesting part of the season very engaging from a fan's point of view. It also allows teams who've had injuries early in the season a chance to recover and teams post All Star break (and trades potentially) to go for it in a way they wouldn't normally do.

The permutations are still crazy with less than a week to play, it's been really good. It's also had an interesting impact on the 1-6 races with various jockeying for match ups going on.

The number of dead rubbers is way down compared to usual and for that alone it's been great. March and April NBA isn't always good pre-Play Offs from a competitive point of view but this year it has been.

I also do think it increases the odds of a 7 and 8 seed beating a 1 or a 2 for this reason - they'll be primed and ready for game play physically in a way that a 7 or 8 seed normally isn't (due to the uncompetiveness that normally resides in the last few weeks). Plus they're playing with house money basically.

I hope it stays.

GS have, with minimal attention, beaten the 1 and 2 seeds in the West in consecutive games this week. They’re balling. Such a shame they’ll play the worst possible match-up in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

GS have, with minimal attention, beaten the 1 and 2 seeds in the West in consecutive games this week. They’re balling. Such a shame they’ll play the worst possible match-up in LA.

You would expect them to reach the playoffs proper even if they lose to LA(which seems very likely). They could snag a win or two against Utah. Could be a good series if they can maintain this form

Covington misses 2 FTs with 4.4 seconds left that would have put Portland up 3, then Booker hits 2 of his own with 0.9 left to win by 1. Portland slide to 5th as a result. Had they won they would have locked in a play off spot.

Edit: what I should have written on this is it was a BS call.

Throw in the THT travel game winner against Houston and the conspiracy theorists have fun.

GS and Memphis rest all the big boys last night for the match up tomorrow night. Whoever wins gets the 8. I heavily favour GS.

Jesus, Ben Golliver is leaving the Open Floor Podcast.

I really like his work, very sad to hear this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

LeBron James back this evening Vs Pacers

All to play for today for LAL, Portland, GS, and Memphis in the west; and for Charlotte, Washington, and Indiana in the East.

And that’s just the play in positions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

All to play for today for LAL, Portland, GS, and Memphis in the west; and for Charlotte, Washington, and Indiana in the East.

And that’s just the play in positions.

Golden state V Grizzlies is on sky sports tonight and its an early evening game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Jesus, Ben Golliver is leaving the Open Floor Podcast.

I really like his work, very sad to hear this.

I know some are against subscriptions, but I find the Greatest of all talk well worth the $5 a month. Price of a pint or a couple of coffees. Actually found myself giving up on the open floor more recently as no need listening to the two, found Michael Pina a tad bland aswell. Are they replacing Golliver on it?

qwabercd wrote: »
    I know some are against subscriptions, but I find the Greatest of all talk well worth the $5 a month. Price of a pint or a couple of coffees. Actually found myself giving up on the open floor more recently as no need listening to the two, found Michael Pina a tad bland aswell. Are they replacing Golliver on it?

I actually like Pina. He's very different to Golliver and the balance is good I feel, but it's not as good as Sharp and Golliver when they were together (on Open Floor).

Yes, Golliver will be replaced but they haven't said by whom yet.

Great start by Memphis but I can only see one winner here, and that’s Golden State.

As I’ve said repeatedly I can also only see one winner in LA v GS. Look at how Valanciunas is killing them inside. Davis will have as much leeway, and LA will kill them on the boards.

GS and Memphis rest all the big boys last night for the match up tomorrow night. Whoever wins gets the 8. I heavily favour GS.

There’s just 3,400 people watching the feed on sky sports YouTube page. I find that shocking tbh that across the UK and Ireland (obviously YouTube is global) with the prevalence of smart TVs etc that the audience figures for a game of this magnitude is so low. I know people have sky sports subs but many don’t,

I know I’ve said this before but those sky in-studio analysts are incredibly annoying.

Also, Miami and Milwaukee locked in. Now that’s a series.

Warriors game pretty good so far, intense playoff basketball by both teams, love it !

Sunday’s don’t get much better than this

Sunday’s don’t get much better than this

I thought you were drinking Budweiser there at first. :)

Warriors game pretty good so far, intense playoff basketball by both teams, love it !

Serious tension on both sides. It’s a great game despite the mistakes.

• Advertisement

I thought you were drinking Budweiser there at first. :)

Never, Guatemalan beer, my girl is from there.
    I love this team, Curry, Dray, Klay, I will look back at this time in years to come and just smile, you don’t know what you got until it’s gone.
    I love how players like tuscano and Poole have improved so much and Wiggins, he has been so god damn slid all year, rock solid n defense and always contributing, i think he gets a bad re cos of the contract and it might be fair but if believe he has found the right organization and team mates to help him prove he is a solid productive nba player

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement