Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statutory Regulation of Counselling & Psychotherapy (Mod note in OP)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭CWF

dar100 wrote: »
    cant see how they will standardise the training; i envisage many more years before z ything is finalised, if at all.

pre accredited was a guise created by IACP et al in order to get pre accredited money from people.

thankfully CORU will be taking over and hooefully the likes of IACP will be institutions of the past. not that their currentmy far from it; their whole board stepped down a few minths ago, it seem the cat was caught at the cream

There certainly is a strong money making element from the associations alright. Although at least IACP offer free workshops on a regular basis. IAHIP are a different beast.
    What's different about IAHIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Anyone heard of updates on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

*tumble weed*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭CWF

Nah nothing yet. Brexit probably dominating everything in Leinster house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Anyone heard of updates on this?

Subscribe to the CORU newsletter!

Here's the latest: https://coru.ie/news/news-for-health-social-care-professionals/coru-draft-statement-of-strategy-2021-2025.pdf

page 17:
    We have established Registration Boards for Counsellors, Podiatrists, Psychotherapists, Psychologists and Social Care Workers, each working to progress opening registers for its profession.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Regulatory Status of the Human Givens Institute?

While I found the snippet below (CORU submissions) inferring it is part of the Irish Council for Psychotherapy, the website psychotherapycouncil.ie is not clear on what organisations are part of it. HGI made its own submission and was not listed on the Irish Council for Psychotherapy submission. So I'm a bit unclear as to whether HGI membership means you are a member of Irish Council for Psychotherapy?

On the HGI website (UK focused) they say "The HGI’s Professional Register of human givens practitioners is independently accredited in the UK by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care (PSA) – which also oversees BACP, UKCP, the General Medical Council and many others."

I've seen on the profiles of HG Practitioners in Ireland, the only qualification is HG Dip (Human Givens Diploma) - no mention of Irish Council for Psychotherapy.

I note CORU has not fully taken on this area as yet, below are those that gave submissions about regulation of the area (Peoples Front of Judea plethora...).

I have a little experience of HGI from their books which I found very good, I presume their course will meet the CORU requirements if and when they ever arrive? (any views??). As against that ICAP have links with UK & Australia (mutual recognition) which would be handy as I'd like to do some travel, and there's PCI courses that would suit (weekend) that are IACP approved (Middlesex University).

In terms of cost HGI is about £10k, PCI about €20k (both plus personal sessions plus supervision etc. etc.)

I see PCI run a 3 month Certificate course for €1,155, a pre-req for the degree course, obv only a primer but I probably should do it before launching down this rabbithole !!

Anyone any views on the various organisations?, any seen as 'gold standard' or do they all have their niche?, I see Irish Council for Psychotherapy making the play that only they can offer the European cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I think there are a fair amount of smaller organisations not represented - and others because they are headquartered in the UK.

Nobody knows yet exactly what CORU will decree as necessary, but I think everyone's betting that the requirements will be similar to the European Association for Counselling (might not have that exact title). So that's the framework that colleges will be looking at for courses.

I think your best bet would be to email the Human Givens Institute and ask.

However, I think this is going to take quite a long time. Don't forget the UK tried to do it and gave up in the end, iirc.

Advertisement