Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't open external HD by double-clicking?

• 16-07-2008 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi, as the title suggests, I recently bought a WD 500gb external hard-drive and for the life of me I can't open it by double-clicking in My Computer. When I do double-click I get up "Accept/Cancel" to terms and conditions, I accept and it goes to the downloads available with the HD (Gougle desk-top etc for 30 day trials) and when I either accept or exit this page it closes, i.e. it doesn't open the HD's menu page. The only way I can open it is to right-click on the icon in My Computer and scroll down to "open". Although if I plug it into any other pc it opens straight away?

I know this might sound trivial (and sorry for the long-winded explanation of what the problem is) but it is doing my head in.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of any solution.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Plascebo wrote: »
    Hi, as the title suggests, I recently bought a WD 500gb external hard-drive and for the life of me I can't open it by double-clicking in My Computer. When I do double-click I get up "Accept/Cancel" to terms and conditions, I accept and it goes to the downloads available with the HD (Gougle desk-top etc for 30 day trials) and when I either accept or exit this page it closes, i.e. it doesn't open the HD's menu page. The only way I can open it is to right-click on the icon in My Computer and scroll down to "open". Although if I plug it into any other pc it opens straight away?

I know this might sound trivial (and sorry for the long-winded explanation of what the problem is) but it is doing my head in.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of any solution.

Thanks in advance.

What operating systems are you opening the disk on?.

I.e. what version of windows are you using??.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,003 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

is there a autorun file on the root of the drive, or a setup file for google desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Thanks for the swift reply. Using Windows XP

eolhc wrote: »
    is there a autorun file on the root of the drive, or a setup file for google desktop.

Sorry eolhc, not that computer savvy. There is an autorun file in the WD folder if that is what you mean?

Sorry eolhc, not that computer savvy. There is an autorun file in the WD folder if that is what you mean?

i mean on the WD drive itself, the main folder

i think if you right click on the drive (letter) and go to properties, you should be able to find an option to disable autoplay, or just delete(or rename) the autorun file might also stop it running the setup files, if that whats happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Or you could right click the drive in My Computer and choose Open, that'll also stop any automatic program from starting but will show the space on the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Or you could right click the drive in My Computer and choose Open, that'll also stop any automatic program from starting but will show the space on the drive.

And after you open it remove/rename the Autorun.inf file that you will see (will stop it from happening again).

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Will check if there is an autorun.inf file and rename it when I get home, fingers crossed.

Tried all of the above. Removed the autorun folder and the autorun.inf file.

Still won't let me access the drive without right clicking and selecting the open option. When I double click it I am brought into the Application Installer, I select Accept, then Cancel on the next page (google toolbar etc), then nothing.

When I went into the properties of the drive and selected the autoplay dropdown there was nothing useful there either?

I tried it on the pc in work and in my parents home and both times it opened the drive with a double-click.

Any other ideas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tried all of the above. Removed the autorun folder and the autorun.inf file.

Still won't let me access the drive without right clicking and selecting the open option. When I double click it I am brought into the Application Installer, I select Accept, then Cancel on the next page (google toolbar etc), then nothing.

When I went into the properties of the drive and selected the autoplay dropdown there was nothing useful there either?

I tried it on the pc in work and in my parents home and both times it opened the drive with a double-click.

Any other ideas?

Quick format on the drive (rather than a low level format). It will probably insist on formatting in NTFS- download a programme called FAT32FORMAT and use that instead (then it'll be more easily transferable with other systems- incl. the pen drive functions of the DivX DVD players :) )

Once its been reformatted it should be the exact same as any other external drive........

S.

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Quick format on the drive (rather than a low level format). It will probably insist on formatting in NTFS- download a programme called FAT32FORMAT and use that instead (then it'll be more easily transferable with other systems- incl. the pen drive functions of the DivX DVD players :) )

Once its been reformatted it should be the exact same as any other external drive........

S.

Don't really want to try that, downloaded a load of films to it, and I need it to be fat32 to run through the ps3.

[Just reread your reply again, sorry, think you meant after I reformatted download fat32 back onto it?]

Don't really want to try that, downloaded a load of films to it, and I need it to be fat32 to run through the ps3.
    Thanks anyways.

Fat32format is freeware- and works perfectly.
    The reason I was suggesting it is for the likes of the PS3 or a Philips V800E......
    Its not a low level format- so even if it is 500Gb it should be reasonably quick.

[Just reread your reply again, sorry, think you meant after I reformatted download fat32 back onto it?]

Sorry- download Fat32format and use it to reformat the disk in Fat32 (as Windows will insist on NTFS, given the size of the drive). Can you backup the contents elsewhere and do the format and then whack the films etc back onto it again?

do you have any setup file(s) on the drive letter folder

ie. if the drive is the e: drive, is there a file e:\setup.exe or something?

Another way to work out what program is running:

if you do start->run->type "cmd" hit enter to open the command prompt

then type "tasklist" to see running programs

then click on the drive to open the setup file and leave it at the "do you agree to the terms and conditions"

go back to the command window then type "tasklist" again

compare the two lists and see the name of extra program, then do a search for the file

smccarrick wrote: »
    Sorry- download Fat32format and use it to reformat the disk in Fat32 (as Windows will insist on NTFS, given the size of the drive). Can you backup the contents elsewhere and do the format and then whack the films etc back onto it again?

If I can sweet talk the sis into putting the films back onto the drive for me I will give it a go. Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Thanks for the suggestions, fortunately I didn't have to do anything too drastic. I left clicked on the properties, opened the Autoplay, clicked on every application and ticked "Take no action" for each one. Now the drive opens with a double-click:)

Thanks again for the suggestions. Hope this helps anyone in the same predicament.

Advertisement