Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denny Meat Free Sausages, how healthy are they?

• 29-09-2020 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Also have they many calories? And much of a non meat eater would need in terms of nutrition?
    Thanks
    S

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Each sausage is 57 calories or so. Tbh nobody should be getting nutrition from a sausage, meat or not, as a primary source. They are really delicious though - I get them all the time. Things like legumes, veg etc are where your nutrition comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'm actually going to cook up a pack to have for dinner this evening (and freeze some for later), although I will cook up some sort of a beany/chickpea/tomato/rice base to have them with, as opposed to lashing them between two cuts of Brennans bread with some ketchup (which I have also been known to do :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

They're the best sausages out there right now. Linda's are too dry and those Tofoo ones are too much like Tofu. There's another brand in Tesco called Eden I think but they aren't as good.

In Germany, there is a company called Rugenwalder Muhle which was (is) a huge meat company going back 180 years, launched meat substitutes in recent years. The sausages they do are hands down the best I've ever had, the first time I tried them I thought I accidentally bought the meat ones; fatty, salty and a bit greasy - they were amazing in a lovely crusty German roll. Would highly recommend them.

https://www.ruegenwalder.de/en/products/vegetarian-bratwurst-sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Just had these this morning for the first time, on the recommendation of this thread. I usually buy Quorn. OMG they're amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

They're great alright, very moreish. Was almost addicted to them there at one stage over summer; had a full pack of them most days of the week haha. I treat them like a treat now. They have that sticky oily-ness that real sausages have, which can be a pro or a con depending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I had four of them between some 'buttered' brown hovis slices with red sauce the last couple of nights. Very satisfying.

I like the Birds eye green cuisine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If ever you felt like eating real pork sausages, have a read of this

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/16/shocking-footage-of-severely-injured-pigs-on-spanish-farms-released

God it breaks my heart. 3.5 million slaughtered in factory farms every year in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/16/shocking-footage-of-severely-injured-pigs-on-spanish-farms-released

God it breaks my heart. 3.5 million slaughtered in factory farms every year in Ireland.

Thankfully producers like that story in Spain do not represent all producers ime.

Personally I would support free range production. I've reared my own pigs (not for sale) and imo its not hard to source free-range products if someone wants to. I know there are those who dont eat pork as well and that's fine as well.

That said In Ireland - there is a whole raft of codes of Practice for the welfare and legislation covering all aspects of rearing etc. The sector is also heavily inspected and afaik has onerous biosecurity requirements. I do think there is place for improvements and changes for certain.

Where there are unscrupulous individuals these need to be severely with but not used as a means to tar and feather everyone with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

That’s horrendous.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    That’s horrendous.

Yup and conditions are pretty much the same all over Europe. They've dont similar exposés in Denmark and northern ireland.
    Id start a thread on it but i just dont have the energy for the influx of farmers etc that would dive in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭White Clover

Yup and conditions are pretty much the same all over Europe. They've dont similar exposés in Denmark and northern ireland.
    Id start a thread on it but i just dont have the energy for the influx of farmers etc that would dive in.

If you have first hand experience or strong, truthful evidence of pigs being mistreated, I urge you to act on it.
    A pig (or any animal for that matter) that isn't content and thriving is of no benefit to anyone, let alone the animal itself.

Contrary to your statement above stating that "conditions are pretty much the same all over Europe"
    I would regularly be in contact with a family run piggery through my work, I have to say, the standards are exceptional, to see pigs playing with giant footballs would bring a smile to anyones face. They are beautiful animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Absolutely horrendous. Glad I pay no part to that industry

Deny meat free sausages are lovely.

The Iceland no bull ones aren't great, pretty much the same as the Linda Mc ones. Their burgers are good though.
    My local tesco now has beyond burgers, mad prices though, but I might treat myself at the weekend.

The Iceland no bull ones aren't great, pretty much the same as the Linda Mc ones. Their burgers are good though.

Yeah fully agree. I had their burger about 2 years ago and at the time I thought it was the best one out there. Very disappointed with their other product's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

If you have first hand experience or strong, truthful evidence of pigs being mistreated, I urge you to act on it.
    A pig (or any animal for that matter) that isn't content and thriving is of no benefit to anyone, let alone the animal itself.

Contrary to your statement above stating that "conditions are pretty much the same all over Europe"
    I would regularly be in contact with a family run piggery through my work, I have to say, the standards are exceptional, to see pigs playing with giant footballs would bring a smile to anyones face. They are beautiful animals.

So why slaughter them then if they are so beautiful? They are sentient and wonderful, even intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.denny.ie/food/meat-free-range/
    Water, Rehydrated Textured SOYA and WHEAT Protein (16%) (Water, SOYA Protein, WHEAT Protein, Salt, SOYA Bean Oil, Natural Flavouring), Rusk (WHEAT), Coconut Oil, SOYA Protein Concentrate (4%), WHEAT Starch, Chicory Root Fibre, Natural Flavourings, Stabiliser: Methyl cellulose; Salt, Yeast Extract, Sodium Alginate, Colouring Foods: Beetroot, Safflower; Spice Extracts: Black Pepper, Ginger, Nutmeg; Herbs, Spices, Flavouring.
    Is SOYA here the same a soy? When not write soy?

I am trying to mix more veggie options into the family diet and these sausages could be a contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So why slaughter them then if they are so beautiful? They are sentient and wonderful, even intelligent.

Because I guess you certainly dont have to hate something to eat. And it remains humans are omnivores who eat a wide range of foods. Some choose not to eat meat etc and that's fine too

That said I don't know anyone who claims farmed animals are not sentient. And yes some may indeed look beautiful, others maybe not so much. Even prehistoric hunters apparently appreciated the beauty of the wild animals they hunted when they painted them on their cave walls.

But what's for sure is that farmed animals are fed, looked after and treated for illnesses and kept safe from other dangers. Do they die? Yes they do. They are slaughtered in a way which is designed to minimise any suffering by being stunned First etc.

Personally I believe all such systems can improved on and anyone not adhering to welfare and legislation should be dealt with maximum penalties imo.

Anyway back on topiic I reckon this thread has gone way off a simple discussion about plant based sausages. Haven't tried them myself tbh. Though interesting to read the feedback on them as a product.

biko wrote: »
    https://www.denny.ie/food/meat-free-range/

Is SOYA here the same a soy? When not write soy?

It can be referred to as both.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Agreed, this thread is veering wildly off-topic. Please start a new thread if you wish to continue debating animal welfare practices rather than continuing to discuss on this one, thanks.

My local tesco now has beyond burgers, mad prices though, but I might treat myself at the weekend.

Have gotten the Beyond ones in Tesco a few times. Yup, very nice even though they are a bit expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unearthly wrote: »
    It can be referred to as both.
    Google kept asking if I meant "soy" when I googled it so I will assume it's some marketing ploy.

It’s just fantastic to see these cruelty free sausages receiving such great reviews.

There’ll soon be more cruelty free sausages than not.

Would really like a chance to try these but will have to wait. I can’t imagine they are any less healthy than the alternative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:

klopparama, your repeated use of "cruelty free" as a description of meat free products across threads this morning has been noted. Although it may be your personal opinion, it is extremely provocative and if you persist it will be seen as trolling which is unacceptable.

Veganism is built on the basis that all meat produced is cruelty. If anyone mentioning this has their posts reported by farmers I don't see the point of this forum any more. "Cruelty free" is not provocative on a vegan forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Veganism is built on the basis that all meat produced is cruelty. If anyone mentioning this has their posts reported by farmers I don't see the point of this forum any more. "Cruelty free" is not provocative on a vegan forum.

I take your point, and discussion of animal cruelty is absolutely acceptable. Not in this thread though, where there has already been a Mod warning about veering off-topic into the realm of animal welfare. This thread is about the nutritional value of Denny meat free sausages.

I take your point, and discussion of animal cruelty is absolutely acceptable. Not in this thread though, where there has already been a Mod warning about veering off-topic into the realm of animal welfare. This thread is about the nutritional value of Denny meat free sausages.

Fair enough, but they're not popular because of their nutritional value which wouldn't amount to much, they are popular because you don't have to support the horrific factory farming of pigs.
    I shall desist, have a nice day.

Fair enough, but they're not popular because of their nutritional value which wouldn't amount to much, they are popular because you don't have to support the horrific factory farming of pigs.
    I shall desist, have a nice day.

Feel free to start a thread on the subject, but this thread IS about whether or not the sausages are healthy, and hopefully now it will be able to get back on topic.

Mod Note: All we're asking is that you all help us to help you make this a pleasant space for all posters, and one way in which we're asking people to do that is by using non-inflammatory language. I appreciate that a term like "cruelty free" is not inflammatory to many vegans, but it is for a lot of other people. This is not an issue specific to veg*nism either, plenty of forums on the site have a protected space for posters while maintaining rules around the discussion.

If you'd like to discuss it further, please PM one of the moderators or start a new discussion thread, cheers.

/edit: oops, cross-posted with you Dizzy, sorry!

Mod note: off-topic posts that ignored the clear moderator instruction in my last post have been deleted. Any more on this thread will result in an immediate ban from the forum.

If you would like to discuss language use, moderation or any other issue, start a new thread, don’t drag existing threads off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

biko wrote: »
    Google kept asking if I meant "soy" when I googled it so I will assume it's some marketing ploy.

In Ireland it used to always be soya. As in soya sauce. Soy sauce was the American way.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement