Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to meet someone during Coronavirus

• 22-09-2020 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I’m a ‘young’ 45-year-old woman, happy and confident in myself. Never married, no children, live by myself. I keep myself well, healthy and fit (had an injury recently that halted my fitness routine, but thankfully its getting better now and I can get back to my old fit self).

I’m slim and fairly attractive, have lots of hobbies and I’m quite content in my life in general. I’m an introvert so don’t mind long spells of time on my own. But I have done lots of extroverted things in the past - been on stage, event managed things, and other independent things like travelling on my own. So I’m not afraid of getting out of my shell (not all the time though).

I was running my own business before Covid, but it got hit hard and I had to sign on the dole. But I’m working on another business at the moment and am determined and hopeful of making it a success.

I tend to be a bit of a loner though. I have friends I meet up with from time to time but always seem to spend a lot of time by myself. I also find that over the years I’ve ‘lost’ friends to marriage and babies.
    So last year I decided to join Meetup to expand my social circle - I went to a few things before Covid struck and was in the middle of setting up an interest group and then we went into lockdown.
    There’s nothing happening on Meetup at the moment due to the restrictions.

I signed up to dating websites over the years and I met a couple of people but to honest it doesn’t seem worth all the crap you have to put up with on them. Also if you’re over 40, it’s almost a waste of time as you fall out of people’s ideal age range.
    I did sign up to Tinder there about a month ago and nothing had changed. I did hide my age, because I wanted to be judged as I am (like when you meet someone in real life - they wouldn’t know your age straight off the bat). I was going to tell them my true age if they asked though. I just wanted an ‘advantage’, so to speak. Anyway I deleted the app after a month as I was paying for this privilege and to be honest I’d rather meet someone in real life.

Meetup seemed to be a good way of meeting people but unfortunately nothing is happening there at the moment. I do voluntary work from time to time and did some during lockdown but they are usually once off things and I like to do the voluntary work not with the sole reason of meeting someone (but it would be a nice extra, I suppose!)

By the way the reason I haven’t come close to marriage in the past is because I had Daddy issues and would be attracted to non-committal guys. Unfortunately I only found this out at around 40 years of age which is a pity, because I had a much better social life when I was younger and there was more of a chance of meeting someone and doing the marriage/baby thing. But such is life. To be honest this does make me depressed (and I do go through depressive episodes) but you know I have a lot to be grateful for and am a positive person in general. I also have nieces & nephews which I adore, so that helps with my maternal side.
    I know the type of guys to avoid now too.

Also although I’m a warm & friendly person, I sometimes might give off a bit of an ice-queen vibe, usually in social situations as I’m not that comfortable in them and can be a bit shy. So this could be a deterrent for men?

So my question is how do you meet someone during Coronavirus when you’re single? I’ve watched girlfriends chat and flirt with guys in everyday life and I have never been able to do this. I just feel awkward. Needless to say, these girls always had some form of boyfriend.
    Do I need to work on my flirt game? I’m kind of embarrassed asking this when I’m in my 40s - I’ve just always found it difficult to meet boyfriends. It was always a drunken kiss in a niteclub that turned into something for me.
    Has anyone got any suggestions?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Honestly beyond what you have done ..or just socializing in your neighborhood ..i am sure there IS a way right now.

I wouldn't have thought its a good time to try and meet someone.

I mean how do you get to know them now? Have a socially distanced date?

I would just try and stop yourself from becoming socially isolated during this time focus on that.

Keep up with the dating sites etc.

But i mean...you have to be happy being single etc.

Im not sure its likely you would meet someone right now.

Look at it this way.

I feel kind of LUCKY to be single right now.

I mean all the couples i know NOT living together are having to skype etc every night its really annoying and time consuming ..all the couples living together are driving each other mad.

Its actually a GOOD time to be single right now.

This wont last forever.

I truly think if someone is meant for you it will not pass you by.

I would be lying if i said i thought dating would be easy during covid ..or even a good idea. I mean its RISKY.

I mean would you even want to be in a relationship right now? I think it would be awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

So my question is how do you meet someone during Coronavirus when you’re single? I’ve watched girlfriends chat and flirt with guys in everyday life and I have never been able to do this. I just feel awkward. Needless to say, these girls always had some form of boyfriend. Do I need to work on my flirt game? I’m kind of embarrassed asking this when I’m in my 40s - I’ve just always found it difficult to meet boyfriends. It was always a drunken kiss in a niteclub that turned into something for me. Has anyone got any suggestions? Thank you

Thankfully the nightclubs are closed, they truly are awful places to be meeting potential partners, you sound like a great catch, I wish you the best, you ll meet the right fella, soon, no doubt

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Thankfully the nightclubs are closed, they truly are awful places to be meeting potential partners, you sound like a great catch, I wish you the best, you ll meet the right fella, soon, no doubt
    Unfortunately that isn't true ..footage of temple bar showed it crowded recently ..and other places ..

But honestly now it would be full of desperate single people ..either wanting to get laid ..or just being irresponsible.

Also those are the places you would catch it.

Im not judging im just saying .its risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

But honestly now it would be full of desperate single people ..either wanting to get laid ..or just being irresponsible.

Ah I think the whole night club thing, under normal circumstances, is just our messy approach to dating, it's really a dreadful environment to meet long term potential partners, I'm aware it has worked out for many, and best of luck to them, but really, it is dreadful. then stick a disorder such as mine, autism, on top, and you can forget about it, but I think even for neurotypicals, it's a sh1te environment. I don’t have a problem either if people are just looking for a quick one in the environment, best of luck to them to, but I certainly wouldn’t be going anywhere near a pub or club, for anything, at the moment, lethal environments at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭airnwater

Depending on your location , meetup still has lots of hiking / walking !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

airnwater wrote: »
    Depending on your location , meetup still has lots of hiking / walking !

Can someone please explain to me the attraction of hiking/walking when it comes to meeting someone, I've had it said to me loads of times to try it but don't get it??

OP I'd be in similar situation to you, usually had to have drink involved on talking to someone on a night out, I've even had friends say to me that I'd be having a laugh and good time being myself with them and then if approached turn to ice and give off a f**k off vibe.

With all thats being happening I'm just sticking with working on myself and being happy in myself, if I meet someone in the future so be it if not the world won't stop turning. Its better to be left on the shelf than put in the wrong presses...and I've been in plenty of those

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Segotias wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me the attraction of hiking/walking when it comes to meeting someone, I've had it said to me loads of times to try it but don't get it??

I love a good hike myself but these arranged meet up hikes must be just full of people trying to get laid, if advice given here is anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here. Thanks for all your replies. I should have said that I am long term single and although I am happy with myself, I do get lonely and I miss intimacy. I've worked on myself for years (and continue to do so), so I am fairly secure and know what I want and what I can offer.
    I miss dates and sharing things. It's been 2 years since I had a date (and much, much longer since I had a relationship). I joined Meetup to expand my social circle too so I suppose I miss having places to go with other people.

Yeah I am staying away from pubs & clubs (if they ever open) for the time being. I don't even drink anymore so I'd rather go to activities rather than pubs, to be honest.
    I used to go to sports classes regularly before lockdown but had to stop because of my injury. And they are not resuming anyway due to the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm in a similar position at the moment and feeling very stuck. After coming out of a long term relationship I'm finding I don't have many friends left at all. I'm living alone and found lockdown long! ve used online chats areas , and while it's no substitute for reality, it's fun to plug into something here and there and shoot the breeze with people, it takes the hard edge off being lonely. I'm enjoying getting to know some people there as friends and who knows how things develop eventually if we get a chance to meet in future. Even if it's nothing, it fill a bit of the fallow space between now and whenever we can safely hope to return to normality. So far the group I've used have done small activities like watch a film/ tv together during the big lockdown and it was lovely.

Id love if there were others interested in doing something like that, not as a dating group , just a getting to know new people thing while we have no other avenues to be social.

Would you be into something like that OP? Does anyone know if more online social outlets are opening up?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

I'm in a similar position at the moment and feeling very stuck. After coming out of a long term relationship I'm finding I don't have many friends left at all. I'm living alone and found lockdown long! ve used online chats areas , and while it's no substitute for reality, it's fun to plug into something here and there and shoot the breeze with people, it takes the hard edge off being lonely. I'm enjoying getting to know some people there as friends and who knows how things develop eventually if we get a chance to meet in future. Even if it's nothing, it fill a bit of the fallow space between now and whenever we can safely hope to return to normality. So far the group I've used have done small activities like watch a film/ tv together during the big lockdown and it was lovely.

Id love if there were others interested in doing something like that, not as a dating group , just a getting to know new people thing while we have no other avenues to be social.

Would you be into something like that OP? Does anyone know if more online social outlets are opening up?

I'm in the same situation.GF call it quits last year after 15 years.Moved out of the home we bought and living on my own.I find it very difficult-working from home and living on my own.The very small circle of friends I have up in Dublin are married or have kids.Today we actually signed the final docs with the solicitor regarding the sale and I basically cried when I came home.Was playing alot of 5 a side before the present lockdown.Would love to be also able to make new friends but it's difficult in the present climate.

• Advertisement

Look at it like this.

It really hasn't changed that much.

Go to a pub garden ...get chatting from further away.

Or ...you hold out until its over and be stoic.

OP if its meant to happen it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Hi OP. First of all, well done on doing the work :) The self-awareness, inner peace and sense of your own worth that comes from that kind of personal growth is immeasurable. And positions you well for happiness regardless of who comes along.

Have you thought about using any of the paid dating services? I ask because OD is one of the most common ways people meet others these days, however it's also a veritable sh1tshow and I'd put tinder up there as one of the more superficial slot-machine-ish types. Full of those unavailable types you're trying to avoid. At least with the paid ones, people are investing in their intention to meet someone so likely to take them more seriously. Not an expert here, but things like match.com or eHarmony could be a place to start.

I do think it's worth expanding on your hobbies not with the explicit goal of meeting someone, but just to widen your circle. I've met most of my previous partners through friends or hobbies, knowing someone that knew someone type of a thing. So I'd do it with the goal of being more sociable, building some contacts and friendships. That's where things like hiking and running groups come in. Lots of these sea swimming groups all over the place at the moment too. I'd keep it simple here. What do you love to do to stay fit and healthy, and where can you meet like-minded people?

Its quality not quantity.

Focusing on random people is too iffy right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Step 1: be a woman
    Step 2: go on Tinder

Enjoy your pick of the men.

Did you even read past the thread title?

OP has tried Tinder and didn't find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I don't see how Tinder isn't useful. Normal regular people use Tinder. The problem with Tinder is if you hit a glass ceiling with regards who you're attracting on there. I am a bit suspect of the algorithm tbh. Maybe coping but I feel it wants you to pay and I know a lot more people do pay for it nowadays. Anyway, unless you become despondent over the quality in appearance of your matches/who the algorithm is showing you then I don't see how you could rule it out as an option, especially in these times if you really wanted to meet someone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I don't see how Tinder isn't useful. Normal regular people use Tinder. The problem with Tinder is if you hit a glass ceiling with regards who you're attracting on there. I am a bit suspect of the algorithm tbh. Maybe coping but I feel it wants you to pay and I know a lot more people do pay for it nowadays. Anyway, unless you become despondent over the quality in appearance of your matches/who the algorithm is showing you then I don't see how you could rule it out as an option, especially in these times if you really wanted to meet someone

Tinder is awful for actual dating. Way too many people on there just looking for casual sex, and who will say anything to get it.

Its quality op ..not quantity.

You don't want to talk to just random guys. You need to find people you are going to have a future with.

Tinder is quantity.

It throws random people with nothing in common together ...like awkward guests who have never met at a wedding.

Its not going to be long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

I honestly despise tinder too but my sister her met her husband on it. He is a good guy.
    I do believe it's rare though but there are a few genuine on it.

Try bumble or any meet up group you might be interested in. These are still happening albeit smaller numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I recommend rescuing a greyhound or a similar dog and you will meet other dog lovers and who knows...... also the dog will keep you company tune into your sad moods and keep you warm, highly recommend. To be honest relationships are largely over rated. When you are in them you want out when you are not you want in . Dog at a butchers window, you sound like a fantastic woman a relationship could actually undo all the good work you have done to become you . Just sayin'

Advertisement