Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Question

• 11-09-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

What happens when the unstoppable force collides with the immovable object?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

at what sort of angle? unless it is at an exact 90deg to the surface it will ricochet off, right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

the unstoppable force is coming towards the object at exactly 90 degrees
    tumblr_l8l0929Hgn1qcwgato1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

IT would fuse the atoms of the Object and the force could proceed right on through! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

In most cases I believe a moderator relocates the thread from Physics to Philosophy. smile.gif

An immovable object? In all reference frames? Would be a candidate for an absolute reference frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I would say they pass right though each other, why does everything always have to collide?

I would say this thread moves right to the philosophy boards, and that they are free to deal with it as they see fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

The nature of the immovable object is that it can't be moved, and the nature of the unstoppable force is that it can't be stopped.

So if they should meet they would form a new object with the nature of both entities. The nature of the new entity will be both immovable and unstoppable.

OR

By definition of Equilibrium and Newton’s 3 Laws there is no requirement that a force stop or a mass move in response to a force. (A mass can hang on a rope forever and nothing moves and there is tension (force) that never stops in the rope.)
    ''Force doesn't necessarily have to be in motion ''

But then there is the word collide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The unstoppable force can't be stopped so it keeps going. The immovable object can't be moved so it stays put. It's pretty straight forward really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

The action might create a new paradigm or new demension of space and time diverting the unstoppable force into another dimension :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Splat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Selected

The unstoppable force stops and the immovable object moves.

Qed.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

I might be taking this too literally but i think its an oxymoron. An irresisteble force and an immovable object cant both exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Gary L wrote: »
    I might be taking this too literally but i think its an oxymoron. An irresisteble force and an immovable object cant both exist.

Agreed. How can any force be called irresistible if there is also an immovable object in existence? Then the force is not irresistible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭himnextdoor

The immovable object would have to be the universe and the irresistable force would have to be all the energy in the universe. The force exists inside the universe and cannot leave it and object would exist around the energy and cannot contain it. The result: constant expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

The force would be redirected by the immovable object?

Much like this plane hitting a concrete wall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q35xHzjxB0&playnext=1&list=PL5FA549C9119BA312

The force isn't stopped.

An immovable object and an unstoppable force cannot both exist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement