Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

October tomorrow. My mother starts to decorate the house the first week of November, so thats about 5 weeks away at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Is it just me or did September come and go in the blink of an eye for you guys?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We had a September? :eek:

It went by so quick!!

October tomorrow. My mother starts to decorate the house the first week of November, so thats about 5 weeks away at this stage.

IN my local neighbourhood there is a house round the corner that puts their tree up around the 15th of Nov and they are the first near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yep. Seems like the kids only went back to school a few days ago.

I've said it loads of times though, once the kids go back & we hit the 100/99 days mark on the countdown the time really seems to fly by at a fair old pace.

Before we know it it'll be the October b/h and then Halloween the weeks are going that quickly.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Our septic tank pals will be celebrating Thanksgiving and inviting us around, my OH wants to put our tree up the next day. It's going to be a different experience with a 20 month old.

This will be our second Christmas in the house, and this year we've a cat so I don't know how the combination of tree and cat will go...
    I think we'll stick with starting to put the tree and decorations up on or after the 6th December. We keep them all up until Nollaig na mBan, however this is disputed every year by himself who starts asking around Stephen's Day when will we take them down... his grinchy ways are not as bad as they used to be though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Due to trying to keep the weight in check I think I will stick to one chocolate bar this year.
    https://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/giant-toblerone-4-5kg-bar.html

Jude13 wrote: »
    Due to trying to keep the weight in check I think I will stick to one chocolate bar this year.

Oh my god

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Only around 22000 kcals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Our septic tank pals will be celebrating Thanksgiving and inviting us around, my OH wants to put our tree up the next day. It's going to be a different experience with a 20 month old.

Elf3 will be around that mark as well come Christmas. Trying to remember back to when the other 2 were around that age, I do remember the poor tree decoration taking a bit of a hammering!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

42 people currently viewing the forum...

87 posts before 1pm....

Good god it must be Christmas!!!! :D

TRS30 wrote: »
    While I am all for choice, progression etc. I'm a big believer that Christmas is for relaxing/family time etc. If I had my way, shops would close mid day Christmas Eve and not open again till the 27th. Give people who work in retail a break.

I would say 4pm Christmas Eve until 12pm on the 27th.

Completely agree with the give the retail workers a break.

Given the disruption this year with COVID provided we're not in lockdown I could see alot of stores opening Christmas Day this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    42 people currently viewing the forum...

87 posts before 1pm....

Good god it must be Christmas!!!! :D

Just checked there after reading your post and it was 45!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Just checked there after reading your post and it was 45!!

tenor.gif

Always wondered with Americans eating turkey traditionally at Thanksgiving, do they also eat a turkey for Christmas dinner 4 weeks later or is a turkey based dinner less of a tradition at Christmas?

Always wondered with Americans eating turkey traditionally at Thanksgiving, do they also eat a turkey for Christmas dinner 4 weeks later or is a turkey based dinner less of a tradition at Christmas?

In my experience, turkey is a given for Thanksgiving and most likely for Christmas as well however not a nailed on certainty.

AFAIK they go for Turkey at Thanksgiving and some do turkey at Christmas too. But alot go for a meatloaf/nutloaf/roast beef type offering instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

My brother in law is in the States along time they do turkey for thanksgiving, lots of side dishes and go all out on homemade desserts, they really get into it, they decorate for it too

And for Christmas the house is like something out of a film 3 full sized Christmas trees, Gingerbread houses for each of them 3 children 2 adults one dog, it was fab when I visited in 2015

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I have a lot of American friends from a period when a big bunch of us were close friends in an ex-pat community in the UK.

Thanksgivings were all about the turkey, corn pudding, candied yams and lots of other delicious things.

Christmas was generally a baked ham, but there are no rules with Americans at Christmas. I've known them to eat roast chicken, roast beef and even lasagna. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I see McDonalds have a Menu from he 7th of October until the 17th November. So I guess there next one will be their Christmas one!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have a lot of American friends from a period when a big bunch of us were close friends in an ex-pat community in the UK.

Thanksgivings were all about the turkey, corn pudding, candied yams and lots of other delicious things.

Christmas was generally a baked ham, but there are no rules with Americans at Christmas. I've known them to eat roast chicken, roast beef and even lasagna. :pac:

Yes, a friend of mine is from New York state (living in Cork now!) and I think they used to have turkey for Thanksgiving and then a baked ham for Christmas :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Did ya see M&S are doing a Colin the Caterpillar cake for Christmas. I'm so getting one.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It flashed past here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I think I will give this ago this year

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Great idea!

I need to make a list of films to watch in December, because every year Christmas goes by in a flash and I don't get to watch half of what I intended to.

Posy wrote: »
    Great idea!

I need to make a list of films to watch in December, because every year Christmas goes by in a flash and I don't get to watch half of what I intended to.

Still have a couple of films in the planner from last Christmas, that still haven't got to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

A few Christmas pjs and slippers in Penneys in Navan today and Dealz has a few more bits..... a little bit disappointed in what Art and Hobby has this year, looks like they might have changed supplier.

SarahLil wrote: »
    I think I will give this ago this year
    Posy wrote: »
    Great idea!

I’d love to do that. If I got through 5 of those movies in December I’d be thrilled. I’d never get the time I would like to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Dunnes have the Nollaig Shona and Oíche Mhaith PJs.

Advertisement