Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KildareP

You're not going to get gigabit speeds through any VPN provider.
    Very few online servers will serve you at anything even close to gigabit speeds, never mind VPN! :p

You should only VPN the traffic that actually needs to go via the VPN, everything else should go straight out online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

After cancelling the 1 gig order some weeks back, I get an email today suggesting that my broadband order was being pushed through and that I would have other services cancelled today.
    Do this shower actually know what they are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sticker wrote: »
    I just asked Nord for a full refund...

This is the problem ISP support will be dealing with most for the next 5-10yrs. Gigabit is miles ahead of the general consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

So since upgrading to the newer modem. I have had significant issue with the WiFi experiencing random drop offs with what looked to be a DNS issue. However, even when manually set DNS on NIC it still happens. Cabled up....no issues. Thought maybe it was a client side NIC problem but then with more use other devices at home experienced the same. I was able to reduce the amount of drop offs by changing both 2.4/5GHz to lower channel spacing 20/40 respectively but issues still remained. Left Modem in router mode and attached a pure AP to it and havent had a single drop off and performance is fine. It would seem this modem is capable of doing the job either in modem mode as some usually do or as a router doing NAT,routing and other features, however fails when comes to wireless it fails.
    Moral of story. Use bridge "modem mode" or get an AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

So since upgrading to the newer modem. I have had significant issue with the WiFi experiencing random drop offs with what looked to be a DNS issue. However, even when manually set DNS on NIC it still happens. Cabled up....no issues. Thought maybe it was a client side NIC problem but then with more use other devices at home experienced the same. I was able to reduce the amount of drop offs by changing both 2.4/5GHz to lower channel spacing 20/40 respectively but issues still remained. Left Modem in router mode and attached a pure AP to it and havent had a single drop off and performance is fine. It would seem this modem is capable of doing the job either in modem mode as some usually do or as a router doing NAT,routing and other features, however fails when comes to wireless it fails.

Yeah their Hub 3 is terrible too, I've just ordered a better router and will be running the hub in modem mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

What’s an ap?

La Haine wrote: »
    What’s an ap?

access point

BigMoose wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. I realise this is going a bit off topic, but there's been some great info in this thread about various mesh systems. I am a virgin 500 customer considering 1Gb to keep it on topic :D

I live in a 3 story house with the VM connection in the living room and my office on the top floor at the back of the house. Currently have a pair of Asus RT-AC67U's in a mesh, one in the living room with the VM hub in modem mode and the other on the top floor in my office. These are only dual band so either use the 5Ghz band for devices and backhaul, or I use a powerline adaptor for backhaul. That is only AV2 600Mbs, so I get about 70Mbs down and 50Mbs up from a wired laptop upstairs. When using wifi backhaul I get about -57dBm signal strength (which it says is great) and around 350Mbs download from the wired laptop which is grand but the latency isn't consistent. Zoom calls can be a disaster with wifi backhaul, which I dont know if its caused by the shared 5Ghz band or general interference. For comparison, in the living room on a wifi iphone I get a fairly consistent 450-490Mbs download speedtest when stood close to the router. The iphone gets max around 200Mbs down over wifi upstairs when using wifi backhaul which isn't surprising.

Would folk think a tri band mesh with a dedicated band for backhaul would be better or just as likely to get interference? Maybe a 3 node setup, one on each floor, would help. I could look at G.hn powerline kit, but dont think it's worth the investment, esp if I do up the VM connection to 1Gb. Else it's find someone willing to install a long cat6, which could be a messy job...

After much deliberation and looking at much of the posts here re: mesh systems, I eventually went for an Orbi RBK53S and have improved the speeds throughout the whole house!
    Some folks on this thread were adamant that there was no way you could get full download speeds over wifi.
    Well, this proves otherwise.
    I am paying for 500 mbps. On my PC - connected via wifi - I am getting up to 520 mbps!

10147708262.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

deravarra wrote: »
    After much deliberation and looking at much of the posts here re: mesh systems, I eventually went for an Orbi RBK53S and have improved the speeds throughout the whole house!
    Some folks on this thread were adamant that there was no way you could get full download speeds over wifi.
    I am paying for 500 mbps. On my PC - connected via wifi - I am getting up to 520 mbps!

Thanks for the update. I’m leaning towards a pair of these too after much deliberation. I can always add a third for the middle floor later if needed. I’m slightly concerned that our robot hoover and ring doorbell both struggle to connect to 2Ghz WiFi when it’s the same SSID as the 5Ghz but I’ve read you can force Orbi’s to separate the networks if I really need to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

10147708262.png

Glad that you've gotten a good result! My Orbi setup has been solid for 2 years maxing out my 500/50 connection across the entire house. On the 1Gb package my phone will hit 650Mbps / 51Mbps over Wifi and when Wifi 6 is ratified and I have a few more devices cable of using Wifi 6 I'll think about an upgrade.

The really sad part is that netgear have a Orbi Tri-Band Cable Modem Router availble (CBR40) that would likely resolve a lot of customer issues reported with the 'Super' Hubs. C'est la vie as they say...

10149820949.png
    Getting this to my Macbook Pro in the same room as an ORbi Satallite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

10147708262.png

Appreciate it might be somewhere in the thread, but can I ask what setup you put in?

I am wifi to my main gaming PC and while for years been fine and getting full speeds, it's gone downhill since COVID and my 500mbps pack struggles now big time with high jitter.

Interested to see what you did, as it seems like every Electrician I ring to run me a cable is "flat out"....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

LoGiE wrote: »
    Glad that you've gotten a good result! My Orbi setup has been solid for 2 years maxing out my 500/50 connection across the entire house. On the 1Gb package my phone will hit 650Mbps / 51Mbps over Wifi and when Wifi 6 is ratified and I have a few more devices cable of using Wifi 6 I'll think about an upgrade.

The really sad part is that netgear have a Orbi Tri-Band Cable Modem Router availble (CBR40) that would likely resolve a lot of customer issues reported with the 'Super' Hubs. C'est la vie as they say...

Getting this to my Macbook Pro in the same room as an ORbi Satallite

Thanks both for posting experience with Orbi. It’s getting some bad reviews for network quality/stability and poor firmware on reddit which had me concerned. Wifi6 is a good question as do I pay a lot more for the wifi6 Orbi’s, go for an Asus ZenWiFi AX to future proof or decide that 650Mbps over WiFi is fantastic and unless VM do something radical with pricing I’m likely to stay on 500Mbs broadband at least until the end of my contract/discount.

Had an engineer out yesterday to investigate why my WiFi kept cutting out incrementally every say.

He mentioned some yoke that was coming out of the wall couldn’t handle the increased bandwidth and something about less channels that caused the router to keep dropping and searching for new channels. The original thing was fine for up to 500Mb but not the 1000Mb apparently.

Also, you have to swap out to the new splitter, which I had done anyway.

He also manually changed channels in settings.

I know I explained all this badly, but have a look at the attached pics to see what I’m talking about.

I haven’t noticed the WiFi drop since; now that I think of it.

I asked him about using a better modem and he said yeah, that’s what he does at home too. He mentioned getting Tech to switch me to IPV4 instead of IPV6.

Why would I need to do that can someone explain? What’s the difference in them?

And lastly, for the sake of so implicitly, what router in the €100/150 region would someone recommend?

I read up on the Deco M5 mesh and I would probably have got that only you can’t seem to be able to split the signals and I really need to be able to do that, as my MacBook, upstairs, won’t connect to the 5ghz otherwise.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

That splitter is an ugly solution. No reason why that couldn’t have been baked into the faceplate.

I asked him about using a better modem and he said yeah, that’s what he does at home too. He mentioned getting Tech to switch me to IPV4 instead of IPV6.

This is moving from DS-Lite to IPv4. This is a requirement for using modem mode on the VM kit.

Some googling will show you the difference, but suffice to say DS-Lite benefits the Supplier (VM) and not the consumer as it can cause issues with VPN, Upnp amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Had an engineer out yesterday to investigate why my WiFi kept cutting out incrementally every say.

He mentioned some yoke that was coming out of the wall couldn’t handle the increased bandwidth and something about less channels that caused the router to keep dropping and searching for new channels. The original thing was fine for up to 500Mb but not the 1000Mb apparently.

Also, you have to swap out to the new splitter, which I had done anyway.

He also manually changed channels in settings.

I know I explained all this badly, but have a look at the attached pics to see what I’m talking about.

I haven’t noticed the WiFi drop since; now that I think of it.

And lastly, for the sake of so implicitly, what router in the €100/150 region would someone recommend?

I read up on the Deco M5 mesh and I would probably have got that only you can’t seem to be able to split the signals and I really need to be able to do that, as my MacBook, upstairs, won’t connect to the 5ghz otherwise.

Thanks all

Quick answer is that "modem mode" is unavailable while in IP6 mode.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

I have just upgraded and am hoping someone might be able to help me with an issue that has arisen.

I use the hub as modem and run a connection from the hub to an Archer C3200. This has given me better WiFi compared to the WiFi on the hub.

I connected the new TV box to the Archer via Ethernet but the connection is not working. Any ideas what the issue might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭degsie

Shane732 wrote: »
    I have just upgraded and am hoping someone might be able to help me with an issue that has arisen.

I use the hub as modem and run a connection from the hub to an Archer C3200. This has given me better WiFi compared to the WiFi on the hub.

I connected the new TV box to the Archer via Ethernet but the connection is not working. Any ideas what the issue might be?

Have you checked network configuration on the tv box? Are you using DHCP? What address is being picked up. Can you ping the Archer?

degsie wrote: »
    Have you checked network configuration on the tv box? Are you using DHCP? What address is being picked up. Can you ping the Archer?

The set top box isn’t giving me any address and I can’t ping the Archer. The setup was working perfectly with the old box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭degsie

The set top box isn’t giving me any address and I can’t ping the Archer. The setup was working perfectly with the old box.

The box may have a static ip address which is outside the range of the Archer DHCP scope. Time to dig around in the settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Do you have to manually select "wired" connection? Are we talking about the 360 box?

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Do you have to manually select "wired" connection? Are we talking about the 360 box?

Yes we're talking about the 360 box and I have to manually select wired connection.

When I select wired connection it doesn't proceed to the next stage. When I check network diagnostics it just says connection to the hub has failed.

I can't seem to get into the settings on the 360 box.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We dont know any of the implementation details for how VM are passing through IPTV streams/handling client registration etc.

Its quite likely you'll need to revert your Hub3 to router mode, use the TP as an AP and connect the STB to the hub.

I have the setup below working without issues.

VM Router in Modem Mode -> Netgear Orbi -> Switch - > VM360 Box

The VM360 Box received an IP from my router without issue after several updates and reboots!

First try some basics.

- Complete a factory reset of the VM360 Box.
    - Check the ethernet cable your using on another device or swap it for a cable you know is working.
    - Then run the connection Wizard

- Failing that can you try connecting the VM360 box your Wifi network to see if the box has all the required updates and can get connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

LoGiE wrote: »
    I have the setup below working without issues.

VM Router in Modem Mode -> Netgear Orbi -> Switch - > VM360 Box

The VM360 Box received an IP from my router without issue after several updates and reboots!

First try some basics.

- Complete a factory reset of the VM360 Box.
    - Check the ethernet cable your using on another device or swap it for a cable you know is working.
    - Then run the connection Wizard

- Failing that can you try connecting the VM360 box your Wifi network to see if the box has all the required updates and can get connectivity.

Do you know if the Remote for new 360 box is connected over wifi or just a normal IR remote? I was going to put it on a shelf away from the TV and wanted to see I could still use it :)

Would be handier if I didn;t need to hook the main box up to Coaxial but meh!

Also, if I order the TV now will I get the 360 box?

Do you know if the Remote for new 360 box is connected over wifi or just a normal IR remote? I was going to put it on a shelf away from the TV and wanted to see I could still use it :)

Would be handier if I didn;t need to hook the main box up to Coaxial but meh!

Also, if I order the TV now will I get the 360 box?

Just a regular remote from what I can tell, it has a IR panel on the front. Maybe also has Bluetooth? It works through a cabinet door in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Did anyone get feedback from Virgin about the crazy amount of dropouts with this new router on 1Gbs lines?

Beyond frustrating at this point.

Thanks

I posted a few post back about my experience with an Engineer callout. Can't say I noticed dropouts since in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

"upgraded" to 1gb this week and so far really disappointing on WiFi. Hub is upstairs and getting 30mb average download when downstairs on 5ghz and 15-25mb average when on 2.4ghz on all devices. WiFi signal is never a steady full bars and my house is quite small.

When in the same room as the hub WiFi is good with 300mb download average.

Should I call a technician out or is there something I could do to improve WiFi signal and speeds when in a different room of the hub?

Connection on ethernet seems good with varying speeds of 500-950mb download.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    "upgraded" to 1gb this week and so far really disappointing on WiFi. Hub is upstairs and getting 30mb average download when downstairs on 5ghz and 15-25mb average when on 2.4ghz on all devices. WiFi signal is never a steady full bars and my house is quite small.

When in the same room as the hub WiFi is good with 300mb download average.

Should I call a technician out or is there something I could do to improve WiFi signal and speeds when in a different room of the hub?

Connection on ethernet seems good with varying speeds of 500-950mb download.

that's about as good as most people get. You can't expect much more than 200 or 300 meg close to the modem on 5g on wifi unless you set up other points around the house. On 2.4g I get about 50 to 60 and 250 on 5g.

The only way your going to get over 600 all the time is to have your devices wired back to the modem.

Advertisement