Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

No problem, feel free to fire on a DM but not sure how much i'll be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭butwhynot

brimur69 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, difficult to search this many pages.

Had anyone ever gotten the ftth extended to their home after initial work completed? My siblings and I live in houses built on our family land in a rural area and on an eir line check we get "Speeds of up to 10Mb are available at your home". We actually only get about 5Mb. The next house up the road (half mile) and houses beyond towards the local village can get 1Gbit ftth. So I was wondering if we put in a request to extend ftth to our 7 homes would it even be considered?

I doubt this will be helpful but fibre's been available to my neighbours since 2017/18 I think.
    There are 3 distribution points here serving only 8 houses, the rest were probably a part of the 84,500 homes moved to the NBP.

When the NBI map came out, I noticed that one of the houses that was a part of the NBP could get FTTH. I asked Vodafone about that and asked if we could be added to the rollout too. After getting excuses like "you have no telephone pole" and "only houses x meters away from the DP can get fibre", on the 4th of August we could finally get fibre. This wasn't out of the blue though, I've been complaining and calling vodafone about our ADSL for over a year, I almost filed a comreg complaint.

I don't know if this was just a coincidence, or if complaining for over 1 year they gave us fibre to shut up.

https:// i.imgur. com/bOqwezv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

butwhynot wrote: »
    I doubt this will be helpful but fibre's been available to my neighbours since 2017/18 I think.
    There are 3 distribution points here serving only 8 houses, the rest were probably a part of the 84,500 homes moved to the NBP.

When the NBI map came out, I noticed that one of the houses that was a part of the NBP could get FTTH. I decided to inquire about that and asked if we could be added to the rollout too. After getting excuses like "you have no telephone pole" and "only houses x meters away from the DP can get fibre", on the 4th of August we could finally get fibre. This wasn't out of the blue though, I've been complaining and calling vodafone about our ADSL for over a year, I almost filed a comreg complaint.

I don't know if this was just a coincidence, or if complaining for over 1 year they gave us fibre to shut up.

https://i.imgur.com/bOqwezv.png

who did you inquire to exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭butwhynot

I'm not sure why I said that, just rang Vodafone

Edit: When we got our modem replaced because of the lightning back in June, the engineer said we should've gotten fibre by now. Is it normal for OpenEir to connect the fibre but not add certain houses to the rollout? Could it be that we were meant to get it but were forgotten, I'm interested to hear if this happened to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

KN/Circnet are back in my estate today blowing fibre in the ducts installed last week.
    I'm hoping that the estate goes live soon and I can leave VM and perpetual bridge mode in the past...
    At last!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ Brylee Big Shag

banie01 wrote: »
    KN/Circnet are back in my estate today blowing fibre in the ducts installed last week.
    I'm hoping that the estate goes live soon and I can leave VM and perpetual bridge mode in the past...
    At last!

Be interested to know how long it takes for you.

We had fibre blown last Friday after they confirmed they'd give us FTTH on Thursday.

Now waiting to see how long it takes for them to come splice it...

The KN engineer reckoned 6 weeks from when they were blowing it in but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Be interested to know how long it takes for you.

We had fibre blown last Friday after they confirmed they'd give us FTTH on Thursday.

Now waiting to see how long it takes for them to come splice it...

The KN engineer reckoned 6 weeks from when they were blowing it in but I'll believe it when I see it.

Even after splicing, the gear may still not be in the exchange or not been tested/certified. So whatever KN/Circnet say does mean diddly squad. Because it depends on the OpenEIR engineer commissioning the fibre afterwards.

And KN do not know how long that takes. It's not done by them.

I have seen VDSL cabs being installed, fibre ran to them and 2 years later they're not live, because OpenEIR didn't send an engineer to plug the fibre patch into the DSLAM. It's lying in the bottom of the cab.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Even after splicing, the gear may still not be in the exchange or not been tested/certified. So whatever KN/Circnet say does mean diddly squad. Because it depends on the OpenEIR engineer commissioning the fibre afterwards.

And KN do not know how long that takes. It's not done by them.

/M

What does the gear might not be in the exchange mean?

We know there's already distribution points in, and I see the fibre wiring today when an OpenEir engineer was doing phone work.

How much more is there to be done after splicing in a worst case scenario? Could we still be 6 months or more off?

What does the gear might not be in the exchange mean?

We know there's already distribution points in, and I see the fibre wiring today when an OpenEir engineer was doing phone work.

How much more is there to be done after splicing in a worst case scenario? Could we still be 6 months or more off?

- OLT in the exchange need to be installed or additional ports added
    - needs to be configured
    - bandwidth in the exchange may or may not be sufficent

I'm not saying, that it will take long. I'm just saying, that whatever KN tells you is a pulled out of the hat, because they have no influence on the finalisation of the fibre. They literally have no way of knowing.

It's like going to the fish monger in the village and asking for the weather forecast.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    - OLT in the exchange need to be installed or additional ports added
    - needs to be configured
    - bandwidth in the exchange may or may not be sufficent

I'm not saying, that it will take long. I'm just saying, that whatever KN tells you is a pulled out of the hat, because they have no influence on the finalisation of the fibre. They literally have no way of knowing.

/M

That sounds like it could be a potential disaster.

Imagine waiting all this time and then there's not enough bandwidth...

Fingers will be kept well and truly crossed. Keep telling myself it's likely to take a while so not getting hopes up.

• Advertisement

In all honesty, OpenEIR have been rolling out in a massively fast pace. Typically 2-3 months from fibre finalisation to the premises become available. Sometimes faster.

But you're simply torturing yourself by talking to whoever will listen and and take their word for good, when they have no real way of knowing themselves.

I have seen estates go live in 2 months. I've seen other ones take 8-12 months and some serious arse kicking, to get OpenEIR to finally list them, because the paperwork was not submitted right. I've seen houses being omitted for god knows what reason .. i mean even whole roads .. even though the fibre build was done.

It'll go live, when it goes live. But the fibre being installed is a step in the right way. The guy that installs it has no input nor knowledge when it goes live though. He doesn't even directly work for the company operating it. You might as well go to a fortune teller.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Highly unlikely in these times, but pre-Covid, when Eircom D2D salesmen in branded Volkswagen Golfs came to your estate/area, it’s a good indicator it’s about to go live in a fortnight.

Highly unlikely in these times, but pre-Covid, when Eircom D2D salesmen in branded Volkswagen Golfs came to your estate/area, it’s a good indicator it’s about to go live in a fortnight.

At that point I can tell Them I'm going with Airwire!

Hope to see those Volkswagen's soon 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

Yesterday fibre was being blown and drop points were being installed in housing estates on the east side of Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

We have fibre at the bottom of the road and 2 years ago we bought a wire from telecom pole up to our new house when renovating but the fibre was never connected from road to pole which is about 20m from main road. How or can I get connected to fibre. The electrician said the new wire we but in in capable of fibre connection

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi all,

I'll try to make a very long story short.

Ordered FTTH to my rural house. My house is located around 250m from the last pole on the road with the black box thingy on it. Engineer came out to connect me but said the sales lady ordered the incorrect type of broadband connection. He said she should have ordered FTTH for me. He said I definitely can get broadband from the pole 200m away.

Called eir and the said they need to assign my eircode to the pole/cabinet and this will take around 24-48 hours. A week later I called and the sales lady said there is a note on the account from open eir to say they won't assign my eircode to that pole as my eircode is covered by the national broadband plan.

Has anyone encountered this and found a way around this? For perspective, my house is the next one up the road from this pole with the box thing. Seems daft to not connect anyone on one side of the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NBI is NBI, you've to wait 1-n years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

All the online tools say I don't have access to FTTH, but I live really close to a new fibre cabinet:

525245.jpg

I suspect its because my landline is with Virgin Media Cable? Can anyone suggest a provider with a human I can talk to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brentanrodgers

schmoo2k wrote: »
    All the online tools say I don't have access to FTTH, but I live really close to a new fibre cabinet:

[IMG]xxhttps://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=525245&stc=1&d=1599190302[/IMG]

I suspect its because my landline is with Virgin Media Cable? Can anyone suggest a provider with a human I can talk to?

Think this is accurate but feel free to correct me anyone.

Virgin media is a separate cable network which doesn't use phone-lines.

The cabinets on the street are used for FTTC ( Fiber to the cabinet ) FTTC requires a phone line, max speed 100 meg down currently - dependent on distance from the cabinet.

FTTH doesn't require a phone line, and doesn't use cabinets. It doesn't use Virgin's cable network. It's a totally separate direct fiber connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

schmoo2k wrote: »

As already posted Virgin Media use their own cable network, nothing to do with that cabinet.

Do you currently have a working phone line to the house? The max speed from a cabinet like that will be 90-100 Mbps if you're within 300m of the cabinet, line distance, available speed decreases with distance.

If you have VM broadband, you won't do better with a connection to that cabinet or any other.

Assuming you're in an urban area you'll eventually be served by open-eir's IFN urban fibre rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

The Cush wrote: »
    As already posted Virgin Media use their own cable network, nothing to do with that cabinet.

Do you currently have a working phone line to the house? The max speed from a cabinet like that will be 90-100 Mbps if you're within 300m of the cabinet, line distance, available speed decreases with distance.

If you have VM broadband, you won't do better with a connection to that cabinet or any other.

Assuming you're in an urban area you'll eventually be served by open-eir's IFN urban fibre rollout.

Yea in Cork City, just had some friends get SIRO to the house in Douglas and checked the map (wrong map as it turns out) and assumed the new cabinet down the road would provide fibre to the door... Thx for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I've just checked the link you provided, and it is suddenly saying my house (cork city) can get 1gb speeds now. They were (KN guys) laying cables a few weeks back, but I presume they just upgraded the speeds to the cabinet and the internet still comes through the copper cable into the house? If so, ours is damaged and gives very slow speeds so had to switch to Virgin but if they install a new cable into the home then could be intriguing.

Would you happen to know if they still use the copper/phone line into the house for those speeds? Airwire availability check saying FTTH is available from the 9th, and I have that installed in west cork and needed a new fibre line directly for it, but can't see where that would come from for this! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Would you happen to know if they still use the copper/phone line into the house for those speeds? Airwire availability check saying FTTH is available from the 9th, and I have that installed in west cork and needed a new fibre line directly for it, but can't see where that would come from for this! Thanks :)

Fibre cable direct to the home for those speeds. The fibre will be connected to a fibre distribution box, similar to those on the poles in rural areas, but located in a manhole somewhere in the vicinity of your house. Hopefully the run of ducting to the house is unobstructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Fibre cable direct to the home for those speeds. The fibre will be connected to a fibre distribution box, similar to those on the poles in rural areas, but located in a manhole somewhere in the vicinity of your house. Hopefully the run of ducting to the house is unobstructed.

That's brilliant thanks, will be giving them a call once the virgin contract is up and hopefully it's unobstructed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyone with fiber installed, is it possible to pick location where they put AP in, as currently back to upc times mine was setup in spare room on first floor so serves about right for wifi, but places like attic suffer, i know mesh and prob better modem would be needed, but do know someone who has VF siro in another town and the install was done just at the main door entrance, ok for small house but def not 3 storey, as last year when they were digging and dreging around id imagine cable would be router from close by manhole, as area shows as active in my estate, thou box is 450m on main street before estate entrance away if going by street lanes, but indirectly would be closer to 300m or so.

As like many been with VM for years and in months time thinking VF will be the choice to go with just by the price alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

scamalert wrote: »
    anyone with fiber installed, is it possible to pick location where they put AP in, as currently back to upc times mine was setup in spare room on first floor so serves about right for wifi, but places like attic suffer, i know mesh and prob better modem would be needed, but do know someone who has VF siro in another town and the install was done just at the main door entrance, ok for small house but def not 3 storey, as last year when they were digging and dreging around id imagine cable would be router from close by manhole, as area shows as active in my estate, thou box is 450m on main street before estate entrance away if going by street lanes, but indirectly would be closer to 300m or so.

As like many been with VM for years and in months time thinking VF will be the choice to go with just by the price alone.

I think usually with Siro if its a ducted install (rather than overhead) they push the fibre into your meter box and route from there. For mine they went another 2-3m but thats where I wanted it and where the power was. Cant recall if they had ladders to do a first floor.

dam099 wrote: »
    I think usually with Siro if its a ducted install (rather than overhead) they push the fibre into your meter box and route from there. For mine they went another 2-3m but thats where I wanted it and where the power was. Cant recall if they had ladders to do a first floor.
    90% sure it would be ducted, and yes seen way its connected comes out of the meter box, most houses are setup in a way where theres few sockets near landing so prob obvious easiest way to get it done fast and be gone, as UPC did use ladder and went round house to patch it in to middle room of the house, but dunno maybe at extra cost it would be done, as having it downstairs where its least used is a bit useless location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Does anyone have any info on the go live of the fibre (gigabit) in Blarney/Tower areas in Cork? The cabling work seems to have stopped for about a month now and can see it trailed along with the fibre boxes on the posts but unable to order anywhere (tried different addresses to see)

Can’t get any info anywhere on this and I’m mad to upgrade from my 30megs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sheepish97

Hi guys. I'm living outside a rural village in west cork - Leap, and the fibre has been rolled out in my area but has skipped over my house. Our old house 150 metres away has it, along with the 5 other houses in the townland (none of which have used broadband ever). We have been eir customers with 25 years and get speeds of about 5mbs and even though the cable passes our house in two directions, we can't get fibre. I need it for WFH, do I have any options here? I would pay for some one to connect my house with the fibre line but i'm guessing that is not an option? It will be years I presume before my house gets done as part of the eir rollout map. Do I just have to wait?

• Advertisement

sheepish97 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I'm living outside a rural village in west cork - Leap, and the fibre has been rolled out in my area but has skipped over my house. Our old house 150 metres away has it, along with the 5 other houses in the townland (none of which have used broadband ever). We have been eir customers with 25 years and get speeds of about 5mbs and even though the cable passes our house in two directions, we can't get fibre. I need it for WFH, do I have any options here? I would pay for some one to connect my house with the fibre line but i'm guessing that is not an option? It will be years I presume before my house gets done as part of the eir rollout map. Do I just have to wait?
    what does the map show, is area live or in process etc, are any other houses connected and so on yet ? if not could be early stages of putting hardware up so could go eitherway.

Advertisement