Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slowing. down

• 26-09-2020 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭

Hi folks hoping someone can help here for last two months I'm walking two times a day every day averaging about 16km maybe more some days
    between the two walks, I have lost about 1 stone 8lbs losing about 4 lbs at beginning to dropping to 1.5lbs but this week I only lost .7lb and I was probably more active than any of the weeks which is really disappointing
    i know I always had the problem of eating late at night,
    Am I doing too much of the one exercise
    Disappointed

I probably don't drink enough water

Male 16st 12lb.
    6ft 3

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

First of all, well done, if you've been walking twice a day for two months you've demonstrated great commitment to your routine. 16km is also a significant enough distance to be walking daily, I wouldn't have the patience for that!

It is true that you become more efficient at any form of exercise, including walking or running, but I think in this instance if you are unhappy with the results you're getting you might want to dial in your diet.

With that kind of walking under your belt, especially if any of your walks are fasted, then you should be burning ample calories to help with weight loss.

Calculate your BMR. Identify what a manageable calorie deficit based on that BMR might look like for you. Then monitor your calories for a few days and be honest with yourself about what you're intake is. MyFitnessPal is a decent app for this, does most of the hard work for you.

You allude to "the problem of eating late at night". Don't worry about the timing of your calories so much as what the total amount is. Like all of us you're probably eating a lot more than you realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Agree with the above.

Also, your body needs fewer calories than it did when it was 22 pounds heavier so if you're eating much the same now as when you were losing 4 pounds a week, it's because your calorie deficit is smaller.

Dial in the diet and look at things like what you're eating at night and why. Like Black Sheep said, the timing is not an issue as such but is it just mindless grazing on something out of habit, boredom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Agree with the above.

Also, your body needs fewer calories than it did when it was 22 pounds heavier so if you're eating much the same now as when you were losing 4 pounds a week, it's because your calorie deficit is smaller.

Dial in the diet and look at things like what you're eating at night and why. Like Black Sheep said, the timing is not an issue as such but is it just mindless grazing on something out of habit, boredom etc.

Thanks folks someone said if u do the same exercise that you will stop losing weight your body gets use to it ?

I will check the food intake thanks folks

torrevieja wrote: »
    Thanks folks someone said if u do the same exercise that you will stop losing weight your body gets use to it ?

I wouldn't be concerned about doing the same exercise. You evidently find it sustainable of you're covering that much ground and sustainability of exercise is key.

But the main driver here is your food and drink but you're probably only looking at tweaks to it so don't be disappointed or disheartened. You're doing most of the right things and a few tweaks will get you back going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yeah so as the lads above have said, you've made great progress.

Unfortunately, fat loss follow the laws of dimishing returns. You'll just need to burn more calories to continue seeing the same rate of loss.

You could do this by walking more, although it would certainly be more time efficient and potentially more sustainable to just reduce your intake of calories through diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This is very true.

Not necessarily the same KIND of exercise ..but at the same level.Your body gets fitter....you don't progress as much unless you push harder. One way people overcome this is switch to another way or exercising that is new to their body ....another is to train harder ...lift a heavier weight is putting it in its simplest principle.Some people call it 'the overload principle. ' Same in weights or running swimming. I mean you could change to some other exercise your body finds hard. But you are STILL fitter NOW than when you started. So that might actually cross over. Your body adapted to 'a load' a certain level of work. You use up fewer calories as you get fitter. You need to push yourself harder on your walks. I.E walk faster. And maybe uphill etc. You have adapted to a higher threshold. Which is a good thing its a sign you are getting fitter. You can't just have a static training program. If you want to be overly precise ...you get a heart moniter ....calculate your VO2 max ..work your threshold off that. Do a rockport 1 mile walk test. Measure your score ...see where your training threshold should be.Diff days train for distance ...But honestly ...i would try walking the same distance ..faster ....get your heart rate up.
    You have to put your info into a calculate online or use a formula Vo2 Max = 15.3 x (MHR/RHR) MHR is max heart rate. RHR is your resting heart rate.

YOu get your max heart rate with this formula. 220 - YOUR AGE.

So once you get your Vo2 max ....you do this.

Create zones 50% -60% (OF YOUR Vo2) ..easy warm up and cool down.

70-80 % the endurance pace ....fat burning zone (although don't think of that in terms of weight loss ..its just this zone isn't hard enough to need glycogen) Still relatively easy. HOWEVER ....now this pace for you should be faster than when you began.

80-90% this is usually when people's bodies need that glycogen storage and that is what the body relies on rather than fat burning.

90% or above ....lung bursting pace

You find where you think your Vo2 is ..( its not going to be perfect just an estimate)And then push yourself into some of those zones. Get a training schedule or walking workout written up.

5 mins zone 1 warm up.

20 mins zone 2

10 mins zone 3
    2 mins zone 4
    10 mins zone 3
    20 mins zone 2
    5 mins cool down zone 1.

I can't tell you what pace this should be i have none of your info ..But if you follow a rockport walk test etc ..and work out your Vo2 max and have your thresholds figured ...you can guide yourself. Yes working at the same level .....will stop being effective for weightloss if that is your goal. Its like lifting a weight at the same weight and same reps won't make you stronger. You have gotten fitter ..CONGRATS ..and now your body has adapted ..so you have to push it more! A beginner might burn far more calories on a five mile run than someone who has been training for a while. It just means the second person has to push themselves harder. We tend to think ..yay im fitter ...i can take it easy now. Nope.Just one more thing ...as you are walking twice a day ..make time for recovery ..days off etc. Its important.By the way you will have to keep changing these target zones as you get fitter again.

The main driver will still be diet.

Let's not overcomplicate it just yet

The main driver will still be diet.

Let's not overcomplicate it just yet
    Did he start eating more lately?

Same thing happened to me Op.

Im a runner. I have no weight to lose. Im naturally small.

But for years i just went out and ran. Worst thing you can do. Well not the worst.

But i gave myself no overload. So there was no progression in my performance.
    I was running four miles a day. But it wasn't that taxing. I was cruising. And that is kind of fine.
    I was prob burning way less calories than some one who was a beginner.
    But i started to think ..'Hey i should be WAY faster for someone who has been running consistently like this'.

Then a trainer said to me well ..YEAH ...this is like a stroll for you!

Anyway OP your body is now MUCH more efficient. And therefore burns fewer calories. Walk faster ..push yourself more. Walk uphill ..run etc.

OVERLOAD principle.

Its not really something you need to think too much about at the beginning but after doing it for months ...your body adapts.

Yeah tidy up the diet etc.

Did he start eating more lately?

He's indicated an issue around diet and eating at night; timing not being the issue but I would venture they're likely to be pointless calories. We've all been there to varying degrees.

In any case, you could have left it at covering the distance in a shorter period of time to increase intensity of effort. There was a wall of text and a test and zones and VO2 max. Keep it simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

lots of good comments so far..

I'm going to agree with the diet comments.. cut out the processed foods, eliminate salty and sugary foods. keep it healthy and balanced..

walking 16km per day is amazing but it must be incredibly time consuming..you will pleateau at some point and perhaps not reach your goal..consider introducing some new forms of exercise.. you can achieve greater weight loss in less time.. perhaps jogging 2km or cycling or lifting weights or doing press ups at home.. or hiking.. bringing diversity to your fitness activities will keep it interesting and produce great results.. remember diet is key especially if your over 40.

He's indicated an issue around diet and eating at night; timing not being the issue but I would venture they're likely to be pointless calories. We've all been there to varying degrees.

In any case, you could have left it at covering the distance in a shorter period of time to increase intensity of effort. There was a wall of text and a test and zones and VO2 max. Keep it simple.
    Its not a simple principle and i am not training this man. I am posting as i wish to.

Oh yeah ..and op if you are eating things you shouldn't be eating ..don't eat them. Simple.

I assume your diet has not changed too much tho since you started. Or has it?

I would look at what has changed.

Its not a simple principle and i am not training this man. I am posting as i wish to.

If you're trying to overwhelm them with unnecessary information, then lean ar aghaidh.

If you're trying to overwhelm them with unnecessary information, then lean at aghaidh.
    Don't speak irish.

Overload principle. Happy? You don't lift the same weight at the same reps expecting to get stronger.

Actually all of the info in my post will take like 2 mins to read. And of course ...no one HAS to read it at all. Feel free to skip

There is a dangerous trend of telling people to diet more for sustained weightloss. Its not the professional approach and its often not safe to diet for long periods of time for long term weightloss.

People know to eat healthily.

There is an incorrect emphasis partic when someone has shown they know what they are doing enough to have lost maybe 30 lbs on telling them to be stricter with their diet. Its not sustainable psychologically or physically for many.
    The body does adapt to a new fitness level and burns less calories during exercise ..and ALL during the day. As your resting heart rate is lower That is not really just down to being lighter ...its your fitter heart etc being more efficient.
    There are beginner gains in cardio too.
    Many people are uneducated about this and go stricter and stricter on the diet alone.

Also a Rockport walk test is something most PTs will do ...just as a baseline. And repeat it again every few weeks. Its pretty standard. Or a one mile run test or on a bike etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

Don't speak irish.

Overload principle. Happy? You don't lift the same weight at the same reps expecting to get stronger.

Actually all of the info in my post will take like 2 mins to read. And of course ...no one HAS to read it at all. Feel free to skip

There is a dangerous trend of telling people to diet more for sustained weightloss. Its not the professional approach and its often not safe to diet for long periods of time for long term weightloss.

There is an incorrect emphasis partic when someone has shown they know what they are doing enough to have lost maybe 30 lbs on telling them to be stricter with their diet. Its not sustainable psychologically or physically for many.
    The body does adapt to a new fitness level and burns less calories during exercise ..and ALL during the day. As your resting heart rate is lower That is not really just down to being lighter ...its your fitter heart etc being more efficient.
    Many people are uneducated about this and go stricter and stricter on the diet alone.

I think the comments were about maintaining a healthy diet rather than dieting.

I disagree that people know how to eat healthy. Many people haven't a clue.. diabetes and obesity rates are evidence of this.

Piriz wrote: »
    I think the comments were about maintaining a healthy diet rather than dieting.

I disagree that people know how to eat healthy. Many people haven't a clue.. diabetes and obesity rates are evidence of this.

No not entirely true. I am not disagreeing with you at all that diet is important.

the things you mention they evidence of unhealthy lifestyles as a whole. Lack of exercise being a major part of this. And poor diet being another major component.

They are evidence of lack of discipline in particular.

I've never met anyone who thought eating junk like frozen lasagna was a good idea.

They know they should cook from scratch. But its easier not to.They know they should refuse sweets etc. But its easier not to.They know they need to watch portions but its hard to. They might feign not knowing out of embarrassment. Fitness people can be intimidating .....:o

And certainly if the OP has lost 22lbs ...he has a clue.

Healthy eating of course is something he should do.

But He specifically asked if doing just one type of exercise would hinder his weightloss.

I answered ..yes. I understand what he means ..he has plateaued. The exercise isn't giving the same burn. His question seemed to indicate he feels this.

Its not necesarily about training more but training smarter.

Im not DISAGREEING with what you are saying at all . He should watch his diet. But he has said he KNOWS he eats too much in the evening.(maybe of the wrong things late?) . So i guess i don't need to tell him what he knows but what he doesn't know? Or may not.

But that will stop working after a while too.

Also op ..while CARDIO has the effect of lowering our RHR ( which is great for your health but sucks for weight loss) weightlifting will have slightly the opposite effect of RAISING your RHR. (resting heart rate. )

So some bodyweight or weights etc? Im not knocking the cardio ..love me some cardio! But you have to overload with it.

Again this effect ..after a few weeks of getting fitter for weights ...will ease off and you will have to adjust your program. After a while your body just feels ..this is a normal day ..not a bother etc. Even with weights.

Don't speak irish.

Also a Rockport walk test is something most PTs will do ...just as a baseline. And repeat it again every few weeks. Its pretty standard. Or a one mile run test or on a bike etc.

If you're trying to help the OP, use language you would use with a client that has little/no knowledge rather than to peers.

The advice wasn't to diet more. It was to look at their diet and reduce/remove any mindless late night grazing if that was appropriate.

I've no issue with the larger point you're making about changing the exercise but it's likely there are easier wins in the short term.

If you're trying to help the OP, use language you would use with a client that has little/no knowledge rather than to peers.

The advice wasn't to diet more. It was to look at their diet and reduce/remove any mindless late night grazing if that was appropriate.

I've no issue with the larger point you're making about changing the exercise but it's likely there are easier wins in the short term.
    cool :)
    agreed ...sorry

Cill94 wrote: »
    Yeah so as the lads above have said, you've made great progress.

Unfortunately, fat loss follow the laws of dimishing returns. You'll just need to burn more calories to continue seeing the same rate of loss.

You could do this by walking more, although it would certainly be more time efficient and potentially more sustainable to just reduce your intake of calories through diet.

God i thought walking over 16km a day was more than enough,

As i have realised i need to vary my exercise now, my plan os maybe to start jogging im not a lover of this to be honest or quick brisk walk for a while,

i do have the Ray o Shea fitness exercises that were on tv i will go back to them too and yes i have been under the impression that if i burn a lot of calories i can eat what i want too:

I appreciate the advice folks thanks. i did download my fitness pal app and started adding food intake

OmegaGene wrote: »
    i replied to the other thread and did not see all the replies here so i think everything has been covered but i may as well paste it in

i am not an expert but have a bit of experience
    the walking is great to get fit and clear the mind, i like to cover 20km a day between walking and running but walking will only do so much and the main thing to concentrate on is calories in and out, you need to be in a calorific deficit.
    myfitnesspal is a great tool for anyone not food aware, it is a pain at the start measuring and weighing the food but it really is worth it and i have seen the results from a family member who thought they were eating reasonably well but now they have seen where it was all going wrong.
    if your budget allows then a garmin is also handy for monitoring calories used and links with myfitnesspal very well

• Advertisement

folks just to update i downloaded the My Fitness Pal App, and was surprised that i was eating more than my calories ,

So since Saturday i have dropped a lot of the food that i know i shouldnt be eating,

I also dropped my walking down to 10-12km once a Day instead of the 20km Twice a Day.

My Calorie intake starts at 3380 - 1420 (food) +970 (Exercise)

My question really here is last two days my remaining Calories including exercise is just under 3000 calories,

Does it Matter if i dont consume these 3000 Calories and will this improve my Stubborn Weight loss ?

Does it Matter if i dont consume these 3000 Calories and will this improve my Stubborn Weight loss ?
    You have trusted this app to tell you what your body needs. And its telling you that your body needs this.

You have cleaned your diet so to speak.

I think anything less than 3000 right now will just make you binge.

Don't change too much at once. See how it goes.

Listen to your body.

The higher calorie intake you can lose weight with the better.

How much more weight do you want to lose?

ALso 12k is great but remember you have to get your heart rate up. And it can be more efficient in short bursts. Like HIIT.

id like to be 14st 7lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

Hi folks hoping someone can help here for last two months I'm walking two times a day every day averaging about 16km maybe more some days
    between the two walks, I have lost about 1 stone 8lbs losing about 4 lbs at beginning to dropping to 1.5lbs but this week I only lost .7lb and I was probably more active than any of the weeks which is really disappointing
    i know I always had the problem of eating late at night,
    Am I doing too much of the one exercise
    Disappointed

I probably don't drink enough water

Male 16st 12lb.
    6ft 3

i guess rather than worrying on over-exercises, why don't you slowly try to stop eating on late night. that's helps more.

folks just to update i downloaded the My Fitness Pal App, and was surprised that i was eating more than my calories ,

So since Saturday i have dropped a lot of the food that i know i shouldnt be eating,

I also dropped my walking down to 10-12km once a Day instead of the 20km Twice a Day.

My Calorie intake starts at 3380 - 1420 (food) +970 (Exercise)

My question really here is last two days my remaining Calories including exercise is just under 3000 calories,

Couple of things:

1) Its possible MyFitnessPal overestimates calories burned from exercise, but

2) How did you feel? Did you feel like you'd eaten enough and you weren't hungry? If you're eating less than 3000 calories but you don't feel hungry or deprived, then don't sweat it.

3) If you do feel hungry/deprived, then use some of that calorie balance to minimise that.

Ultimately, the scales will tell you how you're faring so you can adjust your calories accordingly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Can I just make a comment here in relation to MyFitnessPal.

The main value of that app is that it tracks calories well. You can search for products, scan products and so on and basically log your calorie intake relatively easily compared to paper and pen or whatever other means people used in ye olden days.

It's common that once people begin tracking they realise they are eating more than they realised, sometimes by thousands of calories a day, in some instances.

At the end of the day, it's vital to know, otherwise you could be training great but self sabotaging to a considerable extent with your calorie intake.

As for the app's calculations of your BMR and adjustments for goal and exercise... I would be a little wary of its accuracy. Particularly on how it calculates the exercise allowance. I think, if you can manage it, you're better off working out your BMR on paper, making the recommended adjustment for activity level (instead of trusting the value the app assigns to steps / exercise), and then subtracting whatever % you want to put yourself in a calorie deficit. Then use the app just to monitor what your daily calories are for a while.

I just read your thread in the Nutrition forum... The bit of advice about calories there is kind of what I am trying to say but a lot more succinct.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    How is my fitness pal measuring your walking calories burned ? 10-12km resulting in 970 seems high to me but it depends on speed and elevation
    14km on a mountain in 90 minutes gave me 1100 burned staying in zone 3 (124-141bpm)
    I find garmin very good and a great investment

Well it's actually the Garmin connect I have

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

MFP often double counts steps and walks from Garmin Connect for calories.

Just a quick note folks I completely watched what I was eating (my fitness Pal ) less exercise than normal cut out food that was ridiculous I was eating and lost 3.5lbs compared too .7lbs week previous

• Advertisement

Just a quick note folks I completely watched what I was eating (my fitness Pal ) less exercise than normal cut out food that was ridiculous I was eating and lost 3.5lbs compared too .7lbs week previous

Advertisement