Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cant get a new Sony mobile in Ireland

• 04-07-2020 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Why can I not buy a new Sony mobile in Ireland does anyone know please? The Sony.ie site will not sell them unless through a provider it seems, according website and Three do not sell them anymore and told me that Sony no longer sell through a provider in ireland.

Currys have them all over the site but they are not in stock and they sent me an email saying the phone I want will not be coming into stock again.

Amazon have them but I do not feel like spending 800+ euro through amazon. (This is actual price with euro conversion and taxes). I have searched everywhere. I just changed to a samsung a51 which will not connect with my car and I see that there is a known fault with the bluetooth. There is always something major that goes wrong with the samsung. Sony just have a messy finger print scanner which I will never use anyway.

There really is no better phone than sony if you are not interested in camara and video quality which meets my requirements. I am so disappointed. Its just bizarre and makes no sense. Someone help!!! I'm going mad here!!!

Hol. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Why do you think Sony have the best cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

stevek93 wrote: »
    Why do you think Sony have the best cameras?

No I know that they don't . Thats why I said they meet my requirements because I just use phone heavily for apps and internet.

I know the cameras are not as good as the competitors.

Hol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    Why can I not buy a new Sony mobile in Ireland does anyone know please?
    Basically because nobody considers the profit available to match the investment needed.

What phone are you looking for? Have you checked the other amazon sites (.de,.fr,.es etc.)?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What about the OnePlus 8 Pro if you are looking in that price range anyway?

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/oneplus-8-pro-in2020-5g-12gb-256gb-dual-sim-black-cn-ver-with-flashed-os-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

My contract is almost up with tesco so I checked what the latest sony is I could replace mine with. I'm shocked that no-one seems to do them anymore!

Sony phones have consistently been the best I've had. I had a huawei one before this and it was utter crap. And I got my wife a Huawei tablet at the same time and it was also utter crap. It didn't even properly support netflix, when you started being able to download shows, it never got an update for that. And the memory was rubbish too, it would crawl when it was doing practically nothing. I had a samsung tablet at the time which cost about the same and was infinitely better.

I suppose I'll go with a samsung when I'm renewing, but I'll be sorry to leave sony. They just worked the best in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

I've had a couple of One Plus phones. Hands down, they're the best handsets I've ever owned. They're workhorses which come with plenty of internal storage, decent speeds and a nice clean version of Android. The only quibble I ever had was with the cameras which were a bit average in the older models. That's not an issue now from what I can tell. The 7T is currently selling for €539 if you're not interested in buying the latest model https://www.oneplus.com/ie/7t?from=head

Tork wrote: »
    I've had a couple of One Plus phones. Hands down, they're the best handsets I've ever owned. They're workhorses which come with plenty of internal storage, decent speeds and a nice clean version of Android. The only quibble I ever had was with the cameras which were a bit average in the older models. That's not an issue now from what I can tell. The 7T is currently selling for €539 if you're not interested in buying the latest model https://www.oneplus.com/ie/7t?from=head

@Tork and @Dopetech you have to excuse my ignorance but I never heard of one plus and may have just ignored them because of this. If they are Android I might consider them because i have to send the new Samsung back because it won't connect with my car. Seems to be a known issue reported since early January. None of the latest updates have fixed it with the last message dated 1st June with someone having the same issue with buggy bluetooth on it. Buyer beware!!!

@Bluenote do not go for the Samsung a51 for above reason. I have a Huawei tablet and its terrible so wouldnt go near the phones either.

I got the samsung A51 on Thursday and switched absolutely everything over to it. Had all my apps working and was loving it until I realised yesterday that nothing I could do would make it connect to car and everything else connected to my car. I rang Volvo and they said they could see no reason why it wouldnt connect so nothing known to them. So this phone has to be sent back to three.

I never tried the foreign amazon sites. I might check them out before I ask Three to send me out another phone. I am quite happy with the samsung if it wasnt for all that. One thing i really miss is the sony alarm clock app. Its the very best!!! You don't have to scroll anything to pick time as it is a clock diall but best thing is that when you set the alarm it told you how many hours were left to its ring. I always checked this before going to bed to make sure i would get enough sleep. I found a similar app but it doesn't say how many hours left. I can get used to everything else but still Sony is my best phone out of three iphone, nokia. I had two other Sonys before this one and always loved them. They were also waterproof. I miss that too being a swimmer with drybags that don't always hold out the water.

Thanks everyone for your tips. I have to go check this all out now.
    H.

What is oxegon os like please? is it much different to android? It says it based on android 10 but not sure what that means and a little worried my apps wont transfer ok. I have wasted a whole 24+ hours getting new samsung to be as i wanted (see my earlier message on this) and its bad enough doing all that again without stuff not transfering ok.
    Thansk
    H

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

What is oxegon os like please? is it much different to android? It says it based on android 10 but not sure what that means and a little worried my apps wont transfer ok. I have wasted a whole 24+ hours getting new samsung to be as i wanted (see my earlier message on this) and its bad enough doing all that again without stuff not transfering ok.
    Thansk
    H

So essentially, all the phones run android. However every brand puts a different skin (look) on top of android. This is why for example the samsung icons look different to the Huawei icons.

Oxygen OS is just another skin and is known to be quite close in design to the pure android system.

Shouldn’t have any problem transferring apps.

noa2020 wrote: »
    So essentially, all the phones run android. However every brand puts a different skin (look) on top of android. This is why for example the samsung icons look different to the Huawei icons.

Oxygen OS is just another skin and is known to be quite close in design to the pure android system.

Shouldn’t have any problem transferring apps.

Noa2020 Thanks so much for your reply. It looks like I may well check these phones out.
    H.

• Advertisement

My OnePlus works seamlessly with Android Auto in the car, if that's any help to you. It's not the most mainstream of brands and to my knowledge, only 3 sell them in the shops. I like them so much, my next phone will probably be another OnePlus.

My OnePlus works seamlessly with Android Auto in the car, if that's any help to you. It's not the most mainstream of brands and to my knowledge, only 3 sell them in the shops. I like them so much, my next phone will probably be another OnePlus.

Would you believe me if i told you three have none left to sell me so im just keeping my old sony and cancelled new contract withing the14 days cooloff. Hopefully something will pop up next month.

Most people buy them directly from OnePlus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Would you believe me if i told you three have none left to sell me so im just keeping my old sony and cancelled new contract withing the14 days cooloff. Hopefully something will pop up next month.

Have you considered going SIM only and buying it direct from oneplus or from a site like eglobalcentral ? Its usually better value that way.

Maybe you should work backwards and see what models are waterproof and compatible with your car. There are plenty of phones which are decent once you move up in the market. I've owned all sorts of brands and don't have anything particularly bad to say about any of them. The only one that disappointed me was a Sony Ericsson which was ridiculously short on internal storage because it was full of unwanted bloatware. I always buy sim free phones because it works out cheaper in the end and it frees me up to move networks.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Have you considered going SIM only and buying it direct from oneplus or from a site like eglobalcentral ? Its usually better value that way.

Definitely would get sim only but dont want to buy online unless its through company in ireland that it can easily be sent back to if thete is q problem especially if over 500 euro. Might wait a few months and if sony doesnt come through ill buy direct from one plus. Thanks everyone gor your great advice. Its proven to be very helpful.

Advertisement