Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching only one subject

• 01-07-2020 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

I graduated with a maths degree from college last year. I have spent almost a year now working in the FinTech industry and don't really enjoy it.

I have always had some interest in teaching as a career but my first love in terms of education was very much maths so I did a degree in pure maths and I think it very much worth me trying out industry after graduation. It's nice to be paid quite well but I simply just don't enjoy the work.

I spent time during my final year as a tutor for some 1st year modules and have also done some grinds for secondary school students sporadically. I enjoyed my time as a tutor and have always enjoyed helping others.

I would only be eligible to teach maths as I wouldn't have enough modules in any other subject. I'm wondering what the job market is like for maths teachers? I also know it's more normal for a teacher to have more than one subject, is only teaching one subject feasible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I think it might be feasible with maths for some schools. Schools tend to have maths classes banded on the timetable so you could only have 1 class group per year, but 1st years usually aren’t split into ordinary/higher classes yet, so you could have more than one of them, and learning support often focuses on maths too.

Would you be qualified to teach applied maths as a second subject? A lot of schools are taking it on in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Maths is about as good a subject as you can have (maybe after home ec or Irish... depending).

But that's all relative. Would you be financially ok to take about 5 -10 years out till you land a permanent job (worst case scenario).
    You ok working till 67 teaching teenagers?
    Consider the difference in pension at the other end too, maybe talk to some public sector pension brokers for independent advice to compare what you accrue in both sectors.
    Could you do a part time course and move sideways in your field! A masters might open you up to possible 3rd level work!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

With maths, in most schools, you could teach only maths. Maths is generally banded to allow seamless transition for the students who want to drop to OL or whatever. Hence why schools end up needing many maths teachers.

Generally there are 5 classes a week for 5 year groups, which will give you 25 periods. Then some TY maths, learning support for maths, or a subject like well-being, CSPE, SPHE or Pastoral Care can make your 32.

And there are other options for modules in TY that you could be asked to teach.

In my case this year I had 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th year maths, and along with my non maths hours (science) I didn’t have enough room in my timetable, even though I was free at those times.

So if you only have one subject, the one to have is maths or Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Would you be qualified to teach applied maths as a second subject? A lot of schools are taking it on in recent years.

I don't think so. I have done a good few applied maths modules in college but I don't think the ones I have match up with the specific requirements from the teaching council. I've checked it in the past and I think completed enough applied maths modules, just don't have them in the right areas.

Would you be financially ok to take about 5 -10 years out till you land a permanent job (worst case scenario).
    You ok working till 67 teaching teenagers?
    Consider the difference in pension at the other end too, maybe talk to some public sector pension brokers for independent advice to compare what you accrue in both sectors.
    Could you do a part time course and move sideways in your field! A masters might open you up to possible 3rd level work!

I don't think 3rd level work is much of an option. You're talking at least 4 years doing a PhD, another 2 or 3 years as a post doc and then could be years after that until you're looking at anything resembling being tenured. If 5-10 years is worst case scenario for secondary level then 10 years is best case scenario for third level.

Advertisement