Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solutions for sleeping in this humidity?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

I live in Seville, went to bed the last night at 20 to 12, 32 degrees still outside. I had to put the fan on but then the gf complained so I now leave the bedroom window open and the sitting room window open to form a current. The mosquitos are eating me alive at night, they seem to love my Irish flesh. Anyways, next week it is going to hit forty to forty one degrees a few days, Seville is a great city but during July and August it is hell.

Seville is hot but the low humidity in Seville makes it a lot more tolerable. I would take 40 degrees with 20% humidity in Seville over 30 degrees with 88% south east Asia

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

OP for actually getting to sleep, listening to an audio book works with a sleep timer for me. Wireless ear buds if you have a partner who this would be a challenge for.
    I find the temp has been a bit of a challenge, but not insurmountable, I usually work to just using a duvet cover or a sheet when it gets quite bad, but definitely some ideas on how to get to sleep on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Nytol is now available in the pharmacy without needing a prescription. Extremely effective in overcoming short term sleeping issues. Take half an hour before bed and you wake up 8 hours later. Only works for a few days but enough to get you back into a routine.

A heap of cans and a good ride works as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm very susceptible to high humidity and this weather isn't what I call humid . End of July to Mrs August is humid. This is just warm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

cj maxx wrote: »
    I'm very susceptible to high humidity and this weather isn't what I call humid . End of July to Mrs August is humid. This is just warm

Well, it depends on where you are!

Current measurements range from 52% (Shannon) to 93% (Roche's Point)

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Have you tried taking your skin off before you go to bed?

You could stick it in the freezer for 30 mins and then put it back on before you get into bed.

Be grand.

Well, it depends on where you are!

Current measurements range from 52% (Shannon) to 93% (Roche's Point)

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations
    True, is it drizzling there?
    It may be humid but that stifling heat + humidity is an absolute killer. I find late July, early August the worst here. God I love the dry cold January days. :)

cj maxx wrote: »
    True, is it drizzling there?
    It may be humid but that stifling heat + humidity is an absolute killer. I find late July, early August the worst here. God I love the dry cold January days. :)

Just have a row with the girlfriend, that normally leads to a chilly atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

murpho999 wrote: »

I do not understand how people cannot sleep, just lie in bed, close your eyes and let your body take over.
    Have appropriate clothing and bed linens and it will be fine.

Ireland is just not hot enough to require air conditioning or dehumidifiers.

You don’t understand it ? That’s fine. For people with sleep issues, if it was as simple as “closing your eyes and letting your body take over” they would do just that...

Unless you yourself have been an insomniac, have a sleep disorder or have been close to somebody that is or having ANY sort of sleep issue you won’t understand fair enough but you would do well to not just be dismissive as you have been. Insomnia and sleep issues can and do have a huge impact on people’s daily lives.... so much so in fact that the Mater Private Hospital now have a sleep disorders clinic, headed up by two consultants and a team of doctors and other medical personnel...

https://www.materprivate.ie/dublin/centre-services/all-services/sleep-disorders-clinic/

You have absolutely no clue what you are on about with your “appropriate clothing and bed linen”... get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Gonna be a nasty soggy night here with 17 degrees and 83% humidity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

NotMOL wrote: »
    Seville is hot but the low humidity in Seville makes it a lot more tolerable. I would take 40 degrees with 20% humidity in Seville over 30 degrees with 88% south east Asia

I lived in Asia for a few years, and I could sleep with the AC off.

I would sleep only with underwear on, no blanket, and I had to plug in one of those mosquito bottles plugs, to keep the critters away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Sorry I didn't read all the posts. But did anybody suggest 'one of the wrist' it works for me in any weather, it knocks me straight out.

Kylta wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't read all the posts. But dud anybody suggest 'one of the wrist' it works for me in any weather, it knock me straight out.

You're clearly typing with one hand anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

And its not even humidddf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

and probably using Sticky Keys

And its not even humidddf

You'll sleep well anyway :). Goodnight!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Sorry I didn't read all the posts. But did anybody suggest 'one of the wrist' it works for me in any weather, it knocks me straight out.

Easier said than done with the other half sound asleep beside ye :D:D

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Easier said than done with the other half sound asleep beside ye :D:D

"No, I'm fine, I'm just.. eh... itchy - think I got a midge bite... Go back to sleep."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I listen to podcasts. Put a timer on 30 or 40 minutes . Have the curtains closed from 8am til 9pm . If there's sunlight coming into the bedroom it gets hot during the day.
    Download a bbc podcast eg in our time ,
    no comedy or music podcast. One that's slightly boring. See bbc UK radio podcasts.
    I don't find it hot at night I have the curtains closed during the day. You need dark curtains
    That block out sunlight.
    Look for podcasts on books or history.
    Set volume level so you can fall asleep.
    Your bedroom gets hot if it has windows that
    allow sunlight in
    I don't think anyone in Ireland needs an ac unit.
    Buy a large fan that's not noisey.
    Americans need ac units because its hot
    Most days in spring and summer
    Some audio books are as good as a podcast.
    See bbc.co.uk radio 4 podcasts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Nicky88

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I haven’t slept well in over a fortnight with this sticky, humid weather at night time.

Last summer I tried the Electric fans. They’re alright but very noisy and end up blowing hot air in your face eventually.

Have tried those diffusers with lavender oil to help me sleep, they’re hit and miss. Windows in the apartment in Dublin only open so far, and there’s virtually no breeze comes into the courtyard anyway.

I’ve the lowest TOG of duvet I could find. I’d be naturally a very warm person.

Head is wrecked at this stage so much that I dread bed time every night and it’s affecting my working from home / at the office.
    I’m exercising later in the evening and getting my daily steps in but it’s no good despite being fairly shattered after a gym/run session.

Get up earlier and go for a 10 mile run. Stay active until 5 pm. Have dinner. Stay active until 11pm. Otherwise stick the duvet over your head tightly for a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

A bag of ice in a pot,in front of the fan.And presto,a poor man's AC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I have been sleeping in the fridge the last few nights.

Nicky88 wrote: »
    Get up earlier and go for a 10 mile run. Stay active until 5 pm. Have dinner. Stay active until 11pm. Otherwise stick the duvet over your head tightly for a few minutes.

5K takes it out of me never mind a 10 miler horse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

If your room is heating up a lot during the day but not cooling down sufficiently at night then you could still use the fan but instead of aiming it at yourself you can aim it out the window.

That way you end up sucking up the warm air from your room and blowing it out into the cold of night instead. You'll end up getting some good circulation into the house as the air that's blown out the window will be replaced by cooler air from outside getting sucked in through vents etc. and this should help cool you down.

It cuts out the discomfort of the fan blowing directly over you plus the fan will stop those mosquitoes coming in also!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP, try this and buy this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Must have lost two hours last night. Tried the no blanket approach, sleeping upside down all sorts what occurred to me is you can get ‘cold therapy’ socks with compartments for gel inserts you just whack em in the freezer and put them on when you’re going to bed. Gotta regulate.

Move to Cork. Rained all this week except today, which is humid, but it's gearing up for more, and doubtful if it will still be humid this evening.

I could sleep in Lanzarote no problem, Northern France in a heatwave, Canada 25 degrees at night but in Ireland once it's over 15 at night I'm lucky to get 5 hours. I'm sorely tempted to pick up an AC Unit if I could get the funds together.

Thank the lord that bit of a thunderstorm and rain seems to have cooled down the air a bit. Not the same stuffiness. Here I am at 05:15 though and barely a wink got :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Honestly buy an air conditioner. I am thinking of getting one.

You can try opening a window ..in Ireland we don't have flying buzzing things etc but i would still worry about it.

Generally in hotter countries at this stage they have air conditioning.

Also you can put your pillow case in the freezer.

Don't eat carbs or meat late at night. Keep it light.

Drink lots of water it helps your body get rid of heat.

There are diff kinds of light bulbs you can use that give off less heat ...forget what they are called tho..but they don't get hot

Turn off electric gear that heats up ...it makes a diff.

If you don't have flies etc right now ...then don't open the window during the day ..but open them at night and early morning ..

Also closing the curtains during the day can stop the house heating up

Advertisement