Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Bobtheman wrote: »
    You talking to me? It was a valid question.Yours. I'm just pointing out it's up to senior civil servants to figure this out I'm an English graduate. Hardly qualified. I am entitled to ask my employer to protect my health. Because I doubt my school will raise my kids if I die of covid.
    That being said I'm willing to be flexible and take some risk but not " ah sure we will be grand" approach.

I was talking to you, yes.My point was coming from the angle that most teachers will say the unions need to fight this, but surely in order to do so, the unions will(should) seek some bit of feedback from their members on the ground for ideas.Which is why I was asking, what, if any, are the ideas.Senior civil servants have come up with ideas...and they published them yesterday...and they were rubbish. Feedback from the actual users of a system always informs better solutions, rather than hypothetical ideas from behind some office mandarin's desk.

As regards my other post about construction workers, there are 2 sides to the comparison, yes.The other side to my story is that the lads in question are on temporary layoff until we come up with a solution as to how exactly they might get into houses to do the work.I am not one of them.I'm an engineer.But we will look to include them in suggestions for solutions, because at the end of the day, they are the ones being put in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Rosita wrote: »

The virus is pretty much gone from the community. /quote]

There's absolutely no way of knowing that without an extensive testing regime in place. Numbers are low but why wouldn't they be after three months lockdown. But that's a long way from saying it's gone away.

But the idea that there can be a different safety regime in one workplace (a school) from another down the road (a shop or bank) is not tenable. Either all safety protocols are dropped everywhere (which will not happen) or we have a problem in schools.

Even without an extensive testing regime, there would be higher numbers reporting to their doctors with symptoms.

All that was published yesterday was that it's proposed that all students go back to school in September. PPE etc wasn't mentioned, that doesn't mean it won't be used. It's 2.5 months away, far too early to call exactly what will be needed.
    So a school with 1000 students can open. But not a football ground, concert, of social occasions with similar number. I think there is a bit of a disconnect here.

Actually it's crowds of over 5000 are banned for the forseeable future so according to the last phase of the guidelines which is due to come in mid August, 1000 is fine. Presumably this will happen some time in July now.
    Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Leave should be granted for immunocompromised staff and any staff living with an immunocompromised person. If the DES can manage this it, it will be a start.

I doubt it will happen because the virus could be around indefinitely. They are not going to give indefinite leave.

If you want to sarcrifice your health that's your decision. Best of luck with that. I don't think cancelling the LC was for money reasons..in this country all you got to utter in a loud ( preferably female voice ) is " What about the children? Will anybody think of them?' and everyone panics. It would have been better if a decision on the leaving cert was delayed until late May. A final decision. There was no rush for it. About a hundred thousand people won't be back in work by January 2020. Most permanent job losses. But we spend countless front pages talking about the LC ? Give me a break.

I don't want to sacrifice my health, nor do I believe I will be by returning to work.

The SEC/DES have saved about €50 million by not running the LC/JC this year. There were plenty of venues available outside of schools that could have accommodated students, there was plenty of discussion around it on this forum. It could have run in June, not to mind August. I see plenty of my students out in the local park in large groups over the last week, I presume they are not unique

Not sure why you have to have a dig at women regarding the Leaving Cert cancellation. Every media outlet was calling for it. And most of the people around the table that makes these decisions were men.

More than 100k people will be out of work in January 2021 if schools don't open as many parents won't be able to go back to work as they won't have childcare. This would probably disproportionately affect women as they tend to be the primary carers.
    Shock horror. One boards poster with an axe to grind lifts his leg ?! Get me the smelling salts. We came out pretty well. Considering the lack of leadership and flip flops on the leaving. Agreed to what was agreeable. Unprecedented but as Cicero says if you want appreciation get a dog. Don't expect it from the media . Don't expect it from parents such as yourself who usually can't handle their 2 kids .

What is with all the agression towards everyone you reply to? What makes you think the poster 'can't handle their two kids'? No need for the nastiness and aggression in every reply. :rolleyes:
    It's totally irrelevant what the public thinks because they are largely a sheepish group. A lot done more to do ? Remember that. The persecution of umarried mother's was all the rage up to about 25 years ago. The public thought not having access to condoms was bang on up the 1990s.
    Now they can't even say a woman menstruates without getting tied up in knots.
    So when the public tells me I'm doing a good job ...I get very very worried.
    The media hate teachers . Some parents- those whom we told some home truths mostly.
    Best bet - don't listen to the media at all. Don't follow the crowd. Pied pipers

I would say the Church had a large say in the persecution of unmarried mothers and the lack of access to contraception.

emmaro wrote: »
    Every single decision taken to do with education during this pandemic has been decided by the media.

It was the media who kept pushing the cancellation of the LC.....so it was cancelled.

Now the media is pushing that parents need kids to go back to school fully (even if that means ignoring health advice).

Yesterday's "plan" from McHugh was basically like "if we have to social distance your kid will hardly ever be in school...but if we ignore public health guidelines they'll be out of your hair fulltime!!". They want the public and media to get on board with schools being the only place where social distancing doesn't apply. No one cares about the safety of teachers anyway.

It would be a lot more difficult to do more online learning or blended learning...but if that's the safest option it should be what happens.

Unfortunately he's correct.

What are the alternatives?

Keep the two metre distance, have classes split into two or three depending on the size of the group. Lots of people have up to 30 students in core subjects.

What happens then? Teach group A for one half of the week and group B for the other half? Only get half the course done over the year?

Teach group A half the week and expect group B to follow along at home while your class is broadcast live on line, and reverse for the second half of the week?

Teach one half the group live and then go home and spend your evening uploading all of that material for all those that weren't in school that day?

All of these options are realistically what would happen if the 2m distance is kept. They were all debated here at length a few weeks ago and I don't remember anyone being in favour.

It's all very well people posting on here going ... what about guidelines?... what about immunocompromised people? .... what about ... what about... what about.... but the reality is that schools and education will not function properly long term if social distancing is kept in place.

We are fortunate in Ireland and generally in Europe (up to now) that we generally don't have endemic fatal diseases, something which is a norm in other countries. We don't live with malaria, dengue fever, MERS, SARS, ebola, plague, cholera, rabies, and many of the infectious diseases we can't contract here have vaccines or we can treat fairly effectively with medication. It's a new departure for this country that we will have to live with this virus for at least the medium term. It requires a completely new way of thinking about infectious disease and illness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If we had a plan , we could work towards it . I’m a primary SEN teacher and want nothing more than to be back in class with “my” children . I’m also immuno-compromised .
    Teachers want to be back in school , we know it will have to be before a vaccine is available, but is it too much to ask that this return is as safe as possible?
    Can we have funding for PPE? Extra staff to help with hand washing / cleaning ? Money for all the extra hand.san etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If we had a plan , we could work towards it . I’m a primary SEN teacher and want nothing more than to be back in class with “my” children . I’m also immuno-compromised .
    Teachers want to be back in school , we know it will have to be before a vaccine is available, but is it too much to ask that this return is as safe as possible?
    Can we have funding for PPE? Extra staff to help with hand washing / cleaning ? Money for all the extra hand.san etc?

I think the most practical solution for PPE in a classroom setting is the see through plastic visors from the point of view of protection. Teacher wears one and student wears one. Student is responsible for their own mask. I'd imagine in primary schools this would require a bit more supervision on the part of the teacher to get them into that habit. But I'd also guess that they are generally more compliant than the sulky 14 year old who will probably have theirs broken by the end of the day.

Given how mobile students are within a school, it seems like a far more practical solution than having screens between desks that would have to be cleaned and inevitably will be drawn on, have chewing gum stuck to them etc in a secondary school.

Close contact sports are back on the table in the final phase, so a lot of this might be a little moot if the same kids who are wearing masks in school and not allowed touch each other are going hell for leather on the football pitch after school. Also (more so in secondary school than primary), it's impossible to police students who head down town for lunch and gather in large groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

shesty wrote: »
    I was talking to you, yes.My point was coming from the angle that most teachers will say the unions need to fight this, but surely in order to do so, the unions will(should) seek some bit of feedback from their members on the ground for ideas.Which is why I was asking, what, if any, are the ideas.Senior civil servants have come up with ideas...and they published them yesterday...and they were rubbish. Feedback from the actual users of a system always informs better solutions, rather than hypothetical ideas from behind some office mandarin's desk.

As regards my other post about construction workers, there are 2 sides to the comparison, yes.The other side to my story is that the lads in question are on temporary layoff until we come up with a solution as to how exactly they might get into houses to do the work.I am not one of them.I'm an engineer.But we will look to include them in suggestions for solutions, because at the end of the day, they are the ones being put in that situation.

Very well put. Personally I would go back if I could get a regular covid test and class sizes reduced. Extensive cleaning of the room. Plus promise of heavy investment and training in IT. Bar the cleaning I can't see any of the rest being definite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Jizique

I’m so torn on this. On the one hand I’m a parent and I want my child back at school and like every other parent my childcare is planned around the school. I’m sick of teaching online. I want to be back in school with my students teaching and learning properly and not some farce of blended learning

However I also cannot agree with the ridiculous scenario that would mean we would be the only work place in the country where the rules don’t apply? What makes us immune that we don’t need PPE or social distancing? I can’t go to the hairdressers without social distancing and PPE but I can get up close and personal with 30 students at a time....

You will be able to go to the hairdresser in two weeks; the schools won’t reopen till September. If you think of the progress made in the last 10 weeks, we should be in a decent spot in another ten.
    If we are prepared to allow people to fly on hols to Spain and Portugal, we must be prepared to get the schools back up and running.

Rainbow troat - I think you would agree to anything they propose for September. You are entitled to make your own decision. As for being aggressive- I have a low tolerance for moronic opinions. Though at times I might not understand the perspectives of some posters and have apologised
    As for the cost of the LC you could indeed be right.
    Regarding the female voice i think the line comes from some movie and was uttered by an actress- will anybody think of the children etc
    I'm willing to be flexible If the department stops being petty. They haven't given a **** about teacher wellbeing in decades so i would want some assurance about sick leave and proper COVID-19 testing before I'd agree but I'm not sure you and I,despite our pretensions ,will be asked in a formal vote.
    Probably be a deal between unions and the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

It's a new departure for this country that we will have to live with this virus for at least the medium term. It requires a completely new way of thinking about infectious disease and illness.

Exactly. The idea that everything can be just 'as you were' in education or anything else might be fanciful. The Dept of Education might have to revise their idea that the "educational experience" can be delivered and assessed only in the traditional way where you attend physically for 28 hours per week in a classroom. (Okay the real problem and biggest fear for the government - the babysitting of kids, is another matter.)

Bottom line is, social distancing is either necessary or it's not. They can't gave it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

Jizique wrote: »
    If we are prepared to allow people to fly on hols to Spain and Portugal, we must be prepared to get the schools back up and running.

The model under which they get up and running is the real issue, not whether schools open or not.

You talking to me? It was a valid question.Yours. I'm just pointing out it's up to senior civil servants to figure this out I'm an English graduate. Hardly qualified. I am entitled to ask my employer to protect my health. Because I doubt my school will raise my kids if I die of covid.
    That being said I'm willing to be flexible and take some risk but not " ah sure we will be grand" approach.

You will not die of Covid; you don’t work in a meat plant, aren’t resident in a care home, aren’t over 85, and hopefully don’t have underlying conditions.

• Advertisement

You will not die of Covid; you don’t work in a meat plant, aren’t resident in a care home, aren’t over 85, and hopefully don’t have underlying conditions.

Simplistic nonsense. A man in our area died recently 42. No underlying conditions. But in general terms you are probably right -hopefully.
    I think Mchughs "plan" is just an opening gambit. He knows it has no credibility but he is just gauging reaction. Putting ball in union court.

Simplistic nonsense. A man in our area died recently 42. No underlying conditions. But in general terms you are probably right -hopefully.
    I think Mchughs "plan" is just an opening gambit. He knows it has no credibility but he is just gauging reaction. Putting ball in union court.

Some people aged 42 die every year. And it is always sad.
    Is it 95% of deaths are over 85?
    A lot more openness and information from the HSE would help to put people’s minds at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Pass the parcel plan from govt

Nobody showing any leadership here, I read doc as I'm a teacher and I advise the VP

No practical info there unless you count 'wash your hands , get a Covid plan, keep 2 metres'

'Oh but we know you can't keep 2 m but don't worry! '

Don't forget, what about July Provision? ASD classes getting the go ahead. I teach 6 boys and I have three SNAs - that's 10 people in a medium sized room - how will that happen and respect the 2 m rule?

Answer, it can't unless we reduce numbers

This back to school carry on is now politicised - govt don't want to be seen to be drawing lines - most parents want to send kids back regardless of the 2 m rule, govt want schools to make unilateral decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

shesty wrote: »
    I am not attacking you, I am simply asking the question.Society isn't actually out to get teachers.

Not out to get them, but definitely sick to the back teeth of them.

oyvey wrote: »
    Not out to get them, but definitely sick to the back teeth of them.

Do you know all teachers then mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

antgal23 wrote: »
    Do you know all teachers then mate?

Yeah. Every single one of them.

oyvey wrote: »
    Yeah. Every single one of them.

Gold star for you son. Keep up the good work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Are you happy to guarantee that ? And it’s not always about death , it’s about the residual side effects. Are you happy to expose grandchildren to grand parents ? For peers to hug medically vulnerable family members ?

Are you happy to guarantee that ? And it’s not always about death , it’s about the residual side effects. Are you happy to expose grandchildren to grand parents ? For peers to hug medically vulnerable family members ?

There are no guarantees in life unfortunately;
    We do the same surely when kids have a cold, we limit their contact with grandparents. Many do fairly reckless things in life, whether smoking, drinking or eating to excess, speeding - we need to be sensible, minimise risk to as realistic an extent as possible, but recognise that we can not eliminate risk.

Far too much fear around this! An awful lot of us have been working throughout Covid! We have been exposed more than teachers will be as we worked when there were far more cases of Covid in the community. This nonsense of exposing grandchildren to grandparents. There is almost NO Covid in the community. Be thankful about that and be positive! You cannot live your life in fear of dying of Covid - you could die of something else in the meantime! Live your life.

I am 60 year of age and working in the civil service, I have worked throughout this. I am not in fear of getting Covid because i am healthy, no underlying health conditions, slim, walk 10km a day, eat healthily. If I get it I get it..... I hope I will deal with it and recover. I would love to have Covid antibodies. In the meantime I have hiked, done yoga, cycled, swam in the sea and walked miles and miles.........oh yeah and I worked!

The media have an awful lot to answer for, they created a culture of fear which this is more dangerous than Covid itself as it cripples people and stops people living their lives. Get back to school teachers and teach the kids. Stop worrying about PPE. When you're back 1 week you will forget completely about Covid as you will be busy, involved and enjoying your job again.

We hand sanitise at work and socially distance as much as possible, but its not always possible. Canteen is closed and we bring our own coffee and lunch. Nobody where I work mentions Covid anymore as we are too busy and fulfilled in our work.

• Advertisement

Far too much fear around this! An awful lot of us have been working throughout Covid! We have been exposed more than teachers will be as we worked when there were far more cases of Covid in the community. This nonsense of exposing grandchildren to grandparents. There is almost NO Covid in the community. Be thankful about that and be positive! You cannot live your life in fear of dying of Covid - you could die of something else in the meantime! Live your life.

I am 60 year of age and working in the civil service, I have worked throughout this. I am not in fear of getting Covid because i am healthy, no underlying health conditions, slim, walk 10km a day, eat healthily. If I get it I get it..... I hope I will deal with it and recover. I would love to have Covid antibodies. In the meantime I have hiked, done yoga, cycled, swam in the sea and walked miles and miles.........oh yeah and I worked!

The media have an awful lot to answer for, they created a culture of fear which this is more dangerous than Covid itself as it cripples people and stops people living their lives. Get back to school teachers and teach the kids. Stop worrying about PPE. When you're back 1 week you will forget completely about Covid as you will be busy, involved and enjoying your job again.

We hand sanitise at work and socially distance as much as possible, but its not always possible. Canteen is closed and we bring our own coffee and lunch. Nobody where I work mentions Covid anymore as we are too busy and fulfilled in our work.

Great attitude and brilliant post

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Call it all off so
    Open the hairdressers . Open the pubs . Open the hotels . Open the libraries . Let the kids back at sport immediately . Open the zoo fully . Forget about all social distancing in shops . Forget about ppe
    There is almost no covid in the community now

So why wait till The end of August and then only forget about social distancing and ppe in small ,densely populated indoor spaces ?
    If it’s going to be ok then it’s ok now surely seem as there is almost no covid in the community now ?

Or is there perhaps a reason there is no covid in the community now ?

The country has lost the run of itself the last two weeks. Not sure what the point of the last three months was now ......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Sure if it is safe get the TDs all back in the Dail working for more than 2 hours at a time in groups bigger than 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

...oh yeah and I worked !.

as did we !
    A common theme in your posts is that teacher have not worked since March.
    Also not sure why you have masks in your car and at home if there so little covid in the community and PPE gear is not needed in classrooms .......

km79 wrote: »
    as did we !
    Also not sure why you have masks in your car and at home if there so little covid in the community and PPE gear is not needed in classrooms .......

I was home schooling my three kids and trying to keep boss off my back as she was demanding so much paper work

My three kid's teachers set up blogs and weekly home work, they also corrected homework, and send me emails regularly

So, to conclude were doing nothing is disingenuous

as did we !

exactly they’re in my car. I’ve worn a mask once. We’re not required to wear them at work. Well done on trawling back through my posts, top of the class ! :;)

There are no guarantees in life unfortunately;
    We do the same surely when kids have a cold, we limit their contact with grandparents. Many do fairly reckless things in life, whether smoking, drinking or eating to excess, speeding - we need to be sensible, minimise risk to as realistic an extent as possible, but recognise that we can not eliminate risk.

A cold won’t kill you , Covid will . Of course we can’t eliminate risk , without a vaccine . But some form of a plan would be good .

Call it all off so
    Open the hairdressers . Open the pubs . Open the hotels . Open the libraries . Let the kids back at sport immediately . Open the zoo fully . Forget about all social distancing in shops . Forget about ppe
    There is almost no covid in the community now

So why wait till The end of August and then only forget about social distancing and ppe in small ,densely populated indoor spaces ?
    If it’s going to be ok then it’s ok now surely seem as there is almost no covid in the community now ?

Or is there perhaps a reason there is no covid in the community now ?

The country has lost the run of itself the last two weeks. Not sure what the point of the last three months was now ......

We did what was asked of us. We flattened the curve . After that the Government changed the goalposts to now wanting to “crush the curve”. Meanwhile many businesses will never open again. Retail will never recover . Shops might be open but if you can’t browse, try on clothes, have a coffee along the way, what’s the point ? Queueing outside Tesco last night in bitterly cold breeze, in June , how will people do that on a wet November day ?
    Looking a people sitting outside coffee shop at 10am this morning in jackets and hoodies , with their take away coffee , how is that going to work in our bad Irish climate?

Unless things change many people will no longer have a job and many businesses will no longer be open for business.
    We used a sledgehammer to crack a nut ! It’s now about NPHET covering their arse and Government not having the balls to make decisions !

We may never have a vaccine, meanwhile life goes on and our children need their friends and an education . 95% of people recover from Covid, think about that.
    Vulnerable people protect themselves or decide on a new career path, the rest of society gets back to work. Fear is crippling people.

Well bully for you . Have you ever worked with 30 6 year olds in a confined space ? No? Didn’t think so. A workspace with adults only doesn’t compare to a space with children with bigger numbers and longer hours .

• Advertisement

A cold won’t kill you , Covid will . Of course we can’t eliminate risk , without a vaccine . But some form of a plan would be good .

It won’t - the death number are 1700 approx and the number of recovered are 24k approx.
    If you still think Covid means death, I hope you are not a teacher.
    Of that 1700 number, 85% had underlying conditions; many were in their 90s. Each one sad, tragic, but it is not a death sentence.

Advertisement