Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Maps

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That station is anyway. I got an ad for Irish broadband rollout, and then it went straight into the middle of a Latin american song. I didn't come across that on any other station I listened to, so I assume it's the station doing it, not the site.

It's happened with a few more since, so if it's not a glitch it's probably the equivalent of the 30 seconds ads on YouTube videos. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

5dc323b7135048e1b878ad662cff3a92.jpg

The Greenlandic spokespeople were too drunk to respond at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

684c6a956a8f4959884f768ee133fc73.jpg

Ethiopia and Bhutan, represent!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Interactive map of radio stations around the world

http://radio.garden/

I have had the app on my phone for a year or so, but have moved over to using Replaio Radio as it had more stations and was so impressed I bought it. It has a better interface for using favourite stations and has the flexibiility to allow you to manually add stations not in the data base and to make suggestions for the developers to add stations. I also really liked that it displayed the song information and lets you save that so you can go look for it on youtube or buy it later. Some stations annoyingly don't display the track info, but if you fullscreen a station, it buffers the stream so you can rewind and replay it so you have time to put it on the speaker and then use Beatfind app to identify the track. Beatfind is much better than Soundhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

684c6a956a8f4959884f768ee133fc73.jpg

I wonder if the high expenditure in Ireland might have something to do with tax? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

cnocbui wrote: »
    I wonder if the high expenditure in Ireland might have something to do with tax? :rolleyes:

And craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Can we keep this to maps please?

I genuinely hate soccer and the debate is still ongoing as to why a map of europe with 20 odd soccer club badges on it was ever interesting?
    There's some interesting economics questions around why certain cities are successful at football, much of it tied to social class and population movements during industrialisation. But yeah, let's move on.

Here's a map that popped up in another thread: places the smoky coal ban in in effect. (There's a move to extend it nationally.)
    https://dcenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=feee728a0ee1427d9a3973a090a9f292

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ramasun wrote: »
    And craft beers.
    And drinking in pubs instead of at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

That is exactly what is going on.

We also pay excess transport costs. It can be pricey to distribute to Ireland also, we are off the beaten track of other supply chains - that gets masked often underneath customs and excise duty.

In Germany you can go down to your local supermarket and buy a crate ( 12 litres ) of sumptuous local beers for less than € 15. No joke. You need to bring the bottles back in one piece, but you catch my drift. We are annihilated over here on standard pricing - and it all gets smothered under the premise that they are thinking about our health - in its' bollocks it is, they are thinking about furnishing the state coffers - big time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

in its' bollocks it is, they are thinking about furnishing the state coffers - big time.
    The minimum price won't bring any extra excise duty.

It might bring in extra VAT, but only if people reduce sending on lower rated VAT items like food. Or if they dip into their savings.

/RANT

Back to interesting maps
    uPJyxSmQ.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1628_5eb1.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,064 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Excise duty on beer here is fairly close to UK rates.

The reason for the high prices here is more to do with the supplier/wholesaler selling price.

Guinness made in Dublin is sold cheaper in NI, even though the tax is similar, due to more competition in NI.

The brewers and pubs blame the excise duty, to take the attention away from the high selling supplier/wholesale prices compared to the UK.

For example, Diageo will sell to JD WS in the UK, but they won't sell to them here.

Same goes for Heineken, remember the row with JDW here?

NO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ramasun wrote: »
    And craft beers.

And Diageos profit margin more than anything else.

Pre-tax price of a keg of a Diageo product is dearer in Dublin - where its made and kegged - than virtually anywhere else. Ditto Heineken Ireland and Cork vs elsewhere.

Irish Whiskey is the only product without a ridiculous extra profit margin slapped on it here - plenty of bog standard Irish whiskeys (other than Jameson) are absolutely nuts prices abroad, but they need to be sold here at a price we'll pay; or else tourists won't buy them in airports. Bushmills White that's 18 quid in Aldi can be 30 quid in other, relatively low cost for drink countries and so on with Tullamore, Powers etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That is exactly what is going on.

We also pay excess transport costs. It can be pricey to distribute to Ireland also, we are off the beaten track of other supply chains - that gets masked often underneath customs and excise duty.

In Germany you can go down to your local supermarket and buy a crate ( 12 litres ) of sumptuous local beers for less than € 15. No joke. You need to bring the bottles back in one piece, but you catch my drift. We are annihilated over here on standard pricing - and it all gets smothered under the premise that they are thinking about our health - in its' bollocks it is, they are thinking about furnishing the state coffers - big time.
    Shall we talk about the prices of drugs? I could give you one example: for one type of medication, I can get 28 days' worth for €148. A friend of mine, who's on the same medication but lives in the Continent, can get 6 month's worth for less than €25. A pack of 10 gauzes is nearly a fiver in Boots, she gets them for approx. 80c. Here you need a prescription for proper saline (not the one you get for lenses), there you can get it OTC for cents.

It's a cartel.

BRB with a map. (See my next post)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

The price of booze and paracetamol aside, which have **** all to do with interesting maps really.....

A map of land borders of the world

jy9tfqywrle61.png

https://i.redd.it/jy9tfqywrle61.png

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Geuze wrote: »
    Excise duty on beer here is fairly close to UK rates.

excise duty in ireland is €42.57 per litre of alcohol. in the uk it is the equivalent of €33 per litre. Not really that close at all.

The price of booze and paracetamol aside, which have **** all to do with interesting maps really.....

I beg to differ.

This maps shows how many beers minimum wage will get you in Europe.

fun-maps-2-4.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

They have really nice birds there too. Like proper stuff.

Italian-wine-regions-map-by-Wine-Folly.png

If US cities had kept their "original" names:

fun-maps-41.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Map of 1930s Chicago Gangland.

Chicago-Ganglands-1024x824.jpg

Click here for larger version

excise duty in ireland is €42.57 per litre of alcohol. in the uk it is the equivalent of €33 per litre. Not really that close at all.

That is the duty on spirits.

I was referring to beer.

See here:

https://revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/alcohol-products-tax.aspx

Excise on beer is 22.55 per hl per % alc.

UK excise duty on beer is 19.08 pence per litre per %.

22.55 cent is fairly close to 19 pence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

New Home wrote: »
    Indeed, Buffalo had much more interesting "original" name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

New Home wrote: »
    the original name listed for LA caught my attention, but apparently it wasn't just 'Porciuncula', but 'El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula', or as commonly cited from what i can see, ''El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles'

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

https://i.imgur.com/ePSirtF.jpg
    ePSirtFl.jpg

Map of the environs of Dublin, allegedly from 1884. Click on the link for a giant version.

NshqjUEw.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

England’s average elevation is 59 metres. It is relatively flat so don’t be fooled by that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    England’s average elevation is 59 metres. It is relatively flat so don’t be fooled by that number.

Why would that number fool me when it's clearly in relation to England, Scotland and Wales?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

highdef wrote: »
    Why would that number fool me when it's clearly in relation to England, Scotland and Wales?

It’s actually the United Kingdom.

I’m pointing this out to everyone, not you of course.

• Advertisement

Finland is very flat, it must be Lapland in the North driving that figure up.

Advertisement