Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling the grand canal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone know what the current state of the roadworks are at the Adamstown (Sarsfield GAA) section? Is that completed now or still ongoing?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

mloc123 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the current state of the roadworks are at the Adamstown (Sarsfield GAA) section? Is that completed now or still ongoing?

Still ongoing. Barriers still up to direct you onto the metal bridge when heading towards Sarsfield GAA. The road still needs it's final layer but must be getting close!

Side note.. they cut the hedge along the greenway between the metal bridge and the outer ring road. Left it in an awful state. Bits of hacked and shredded hedge bits all across the greenway. Avoiding it until the next heavy wind / rain as I don't want to be dealing with a puncture in this cold weather.

It was sad to watch the rapid deterioration of the access road to the Grand Canal from the R120 Newcastle Road near Lucan over the past three weeks.

The people moved out at the weekend and this is a view from today of what they left behind. Sadly that isn't a hedge along the right-hand side. There is a cycle path / footpath under there somewhere. They must have been offering a rubbish collection service. They move out. Council clean it up. They are back in a few months. Rinse and repeat. So depressing.

Onto happier things. View of the upgraded works on the bridge near the 12th Lock. Access to the Grand Canal heading towards the city is still closed off. Nice wide paths for walking and cycling on either side. They go all the way down to the new junction before Polly Hops and continue on around Grange Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Saw that rubbish today it’s a mix of garden, household and construction waste. If settled people didn’t engage them the problem would fix itself. They had at least one tipper truck and were drawing loads back and dumping around the lane. I was off for two weeks and they really upped their game in that time. I saw the council clearing some up 3 weeks ago while they were still there and the truck packed meters away obvious it was the source. What’s worse is there is permanent CCTV here so either not working or not monitored. This happens every 6 -12 months here along with the usual fly tipping every few weeks but this is by far the worse I’ve seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Was heading back from Park West yesterday just after 5 and an irate cyclist warned me about kids teenagers throwing stones, I asked a second cyclist and he thought I should go the road but he said there were other people there too. They were ahead of me on bikes but they had obviously got bored, I just slowed down and hit the road for the last section at the luas . Eyes open from now on I guess.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The section to Hazelhatch is pretty bad now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

The section to Hazelhatch is pretty bad now..

Jesus, I like my greenways unpaved but that's ridiculous

There's obviously been some vehicle traffic down it? I cycled it in late summer early autumn and it wasn't bad at all, think the only real mud was under trees on the run in to sallins

a148pro wrote: »
    Jesus, I like my greenways unpaved but that's ridiculous

There's obviously been some vehicle traffic down it? I cycled it in late summer early autumn and it wasn't bad at all, think the only real mud was under trees on the run in to sallins

The canal bank had been repaired or re-aligned at a couple of sections, so I guess there was a lot of construction traffic doing that. They had planning notices up along the section now for the resurfacing.

tnegun wrote: »
    This happens every 6 -12 months

They are all back again this morning. What was that.. 11 days? Barely enough time for the council to have cleaned up. Going to be sad to have to watch this unfold again over the coming weeks. We need a McNulty in the force - someone to stick a tracker on that truck and discover who their customers are.

Also the newly slightly open gate near the Killeen road has been closed. That didn't last long either. Involved switching the plug in the ground around so not something that was closed by mistake.

It's difficult to love this greenway at times.

• Advertisement

I know I saw it this am and couldn't believe it. They installed 2 plugs at most gates so may of been a mistake closing it but there had been an increase in speed and frequency of scramblers on the tow path so could of been a reaction to that :(

R120 construction works finished at the Lucan end. Towpath open again to the R120 (near Sarsfields GAA). No need to detour over the metal bridge.

I ran along the route last week, the final section between Clondalkin and Grange Castle was... interesting. Cold weather doesn't keep them inside... just light a fire on the canal bank instead.

Yeah. That old abandoned building on the other side of the canal has attracted a lot of attention this week. A fire up against it one evening and a new place for people to hang out beside since. Wonder why it has become popular all of a sudden. Moved on from somewhere else?

Great news that they've finished the works, I came off on the red bridge in the frost a couple of weeks back and have seen a few people fall on it so I won't miss it. I think its an old lock keepers house, it has always been popular with them and a lot of drug activity goes on around it. A few of them were displaced after the guy had his throat slashed beside the 9th lock last year and they moved to the vicinity of the house.

Called the Guards yesterday re the kids racing scramblers at the 11th lock for the past few weeks, Guard said we'll send a car out but are powerless to stop them as they're not allowed give chase and I should contact the council to block the access points :mad::mad:

I've cycled that path daily for years and never noticed any issues around 11th lock. It's only the past few weeks that it has turned ugly for me. The path is absolutely filthy. So much broken glass. Rubbish strewn about. Marks of leftover fires. Always a bunch of people hanging about on the path that you have to make your way through. A bit intimidating to say the least.

Are the recently opened gates contributing to the behaviour in this area? I don't believe so myself as I see the motorbikes enter and leave the path through gaps in the hedge nearby.

You don't necessary need the guards to give chase. Just the odd patrol on foot / bicycle or motorbike along the path would be nice. I've never seen a guard on the grand canal path - though I know others have said here that they have.

We are not even near the summer term when you notice an immediate pick-up in anti social behaviour once school is out. What's it going to be like then!

Same its escalated something terrible the past few weeks the guard just said to keep calling it in and he'd log it and send a car. Also said to forward any footage from bike/helmet cams to help them ID the guys. The fires were mostly bags of household rubbish they were bringing with them a couple of attempts to set fire to the lock gates too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Not sure if this has been mentioned but SDCC looking to extend greenway from 12th lock to Hazelhatch to join up with with cycle path Kildare CC have built after McEvoys.

https://consult.sdublincoco.ie/en/consultation/part-8-grand-canal-greenway-hazelhatch-12th-lock

Mixed feelings on it as I did enjoy the quietness and lovely rural settings that hit as soon as you went over the 12th lock but I only visited it in summer so this will make it more accessible to cyclists and walkers. I just hope it doesn't have any issues with antisocial behaviour or dumping as this stretch is much more isolated than the previous few km.

Is it possible to cycle from the 12th to Hazelhatch at present? I know someone posted a pic a month or so back and it didn't look great.

• Advertisement

Just giving this a bump anyone travel between the 12th and Hazelhatch recently? What were conditions like? Also any ETA for the start of the Greenway works?

Just giving this a bump anyone travel between the 12th and Hazelhatch recently? What were conditions like? Also any ETA for the start of the Greenway works?

I posted that pic back in Feb, it was still the same 3 weeks ago (have not been on it since)

There is quite a large line of caravans currently moving onto the greenway track in the field between Haydens lane and the metal bridge on the grand canal in Lucan. They are getting through a gap in the hedge somewhere..

They are parking on both greenway paths - so you have to take to the field to access the canal.

I'd advise not taking the metal bridge from now on - stick to the canal and go all the way to or from the Newcastle road.

:mad:

coward wrote: »
    There is quite a large line of caravans currently moving onto the greenway track in the field between Haydens lane and the metal bridge on the grand canal in Lucan. They are getting through a gap in the hedge somewhere..

They are parking on both greenway paths - so you have to take to the field to access the canal.

I'd advise not taking the metal bridge from now on - stick to the canal and go all the way to or from the Newcastle road.

:mad:

They are parked in the field... or on the canal bank?

Saw them arriving and hoped they' keep going as the paths are blocked now :( fly tipping in the area again last night too no coincidence.

Rang Lucan Gardai and they're aware of it so call them too 01-6667300 the more people that do the better.

They are parked in the field... or on the canal bank?

In the field.. not near the canal. Hard to describe! You know that field you cross to get to the metal bridge.

477377.png
    Rang Lucan Gardai and they're aware of it so call them too 01-6667300 the more people that do the better.

Thanks tnegun. I called too. They said as it is council property, there is nothing they can do without the council's help. That field will be destroyed.

Maybe they might rearrange themselves so they are not blocking the path later. It was mostly the vans and cars blocking both tracks. Not a chance I'll be going this route again until they are moved off.

There is a gate further down that was used when the greenway was constructed. I bet thats how they got in council will do f all :(

This is the field the gate is directly opposite Fossets circus

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Haydens+Ln,+Co.+Dublin/@53.3322482,-6.4502835,519m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486773afb601270b:0x7c017422c957eac7!8m2!3d53.3377826!4d-6.4482882

What was left behind the last time :(

• Advertisement

Its disgusting, bad enough the Gardai can't do anything about the scramblers now these cretins too

Advertisement