Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giving up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

beauf wrote: »
    WP never had much of a market share or apps. I think whats changed is people got tired of all the bugs.

Its dropped significantly though, I do remember it being a good few points higher.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Kamili wrote: »
    Its dropped significantly though, I do remember it being a good few points higher.

Don't think it was ever above 4% worldwide, it was up around 20% in some individual countries, but it was always dragged down by it's performance in big markets like the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'm back after briefly dipping my toes into the Android (Marshmallow) world and I have to admit that there were a good few things that I missed from Windows Phone / 10 Mobile.

Things that were better in Android
    • Outlook: Yep, Microsoft's Outlook is much better on Android. Focused inbox really helps filter out the bumpf and show you the mostly important stuff. Apparently it's coming to Windows 10 ... "Soon (TM)"
    • Fingerprint authentication: It was a middle of the road Android Phone that I was using, but the fingerprint sensor was zippy and almost instant. It was definitely quicker than the time it would take to slide up to unlock my Lumia 950 (and a million times faster than the Iris Scanner).
    • Variety of Apps: There were many more apps to choose from, but a large chunk of them were either naff or knock-off apps. The main thing was that you didn't have to question "Would there be an app for that?" ... but perhaps "Is the app for that legit?".
    • Customisation: Almost everything within the Android User Experience could be tweaked, not always to the benefit of the user experience and sometimes to the frustration that other parts could not be customised or reverting customisations could take a bit of work

Things that I missed from Windows 10:
    • Live Tiles: They really make the phone personal and are handy for a quick update without opening the app (if they're done right). It's much more consistent than whack-a-mole pages of flat icons and widgets that "sort of, but don't really do the same thing as live tiles"
    • Notifications: Maybe it was just the Android distro on the phone, MIUI, but notifications were next to useless and were not actionable.
    • Cortana: Cortana is so well integrated into Windows 10 that it all works well together. Google is a much better search engine than Bing, but it was easier to get things done with Cortana and I didn't have to repeat myself as much to be understood as I did with "OK Google"
    • Security: Maybe it's just because there are fewer apps on Windows that this never happened, but without installing any dodgy apps (mainly Office, Skype, Wunderlist, etc.) within one week using the phone I had an unexpected logon attempt to my Microsoft account from a distant country.

For now, I'm back to Windows 10 Mobile and all it's foibles until something better comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Did you not try Cortana on Android? I find that she works very well on Android too.

I miss my Windows 10 Home screen on Android, it's way more complicated to configure on Android and does not have the nice Live Tiles which I miss.

I actually took a foray into the android world too and had a very similar experience to you.

I'm back using the old 640XL but I am on WP 8.

Debating trying to upgrade to WP10...

I really missed the live tiles on the android.
    I too have strong worries about security for a similar reason which is why I think I might stay on WP for the moment. I didn't install any dodgy apps either. Camera on the android phone I had was pretty crappy too, the lumia camera is way better.

I'm starting to think I will stick with WP too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Did you not try Cortana on Android? I find that she works very well on Android too.

I miss my Windows 10 Home screen on Android, it's way more complicated to configure on Android and does not have the nice Live Tiles which I miss.
    Cortana on Android I found to be a second-class citizen. It was generally ok, but really didn't sit right and many of the useful context awareness appeared to be missing.

Cortana on Android I found to be a second-class citizen. It was generally ok, but really didn't sit right and many of the useful context awareness appeared to be missing.

All right, maybe I just use her differently than you, I find her doing what I expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm still using both WP and Android. But while I prefer the email and live tiles, and possibly the camera on WP. Everything else works a lot better on my Android phone. I prefer how notifications work on IOS probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

After using my 950 for about a year now, and looking at alternatives and being pretty unimpressed (exploding samsungs or dated iphones) i think ill just sit it out until next year and see what the state of phones is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,220 ✭✭✭✭fits

I finally did it. Got an iPhone 6s. Everything works. Sorry to leave windows home as interface is good but things not working properly just got old.

• Advertisement

Oh man I just can't iphone, had an iphone 4s - never again, nothing worked then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Well, I know next to nothing about mobile phones. I got a Lumia 525 (or something like that) when i got my first smart phone a few back. Didn't even know that it was s WP ! Didn't really care. It was all new to me. So compared to most other posters here, I am out of my depth.

It seems to me that 99% of the time there is no app for windows. It is so frustrating. I just don't understand if Microsoft is such a big company why this can't be sorted. Any suggestions for a non WP, let's say one step up from Lumia 525 (or whatever it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Microsoft don't make the apps is the problem, other companies do. And they only do it where they can make the most money (compared to the amount that they put into development). This is why even though Android phones are hugely popular, that OS still has a significant shortfall of apps compared to Apple's iOS. Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile/Windows 10 for phones is way behind the curve where that is concerned unfortunately. Microsoft have now moved to betting on a big evolutionary change in mobile computing, ie. the thing that comes after smartphones. I guess they're hoping it'll be combination phone-PC devices (with Continuum), but there's no indication that this will solve the app problem. It might make the problem just go away in a sense because we'll be living in a web app world, but who knows.

You're probably better off asking in the Android forum if you want Android handset recommendations.

Microsoft made apps on android and IOS that never came to WP and they also made the apps they did have on WP better on Android and IOS.

All the while not fixing bugs on the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm sticking with it. I went through a period of investigating other phones but nothing really stands out. I've done iphones in the past. My better half has a samsung S6, which is as dull as an iphone.

I dont need a lot of Apps. The meagre selection doesnt bother me at all. And the camera on the 950 is still a selling point for me.

I got a Mozo replacement back cover and its transformed the feel of it.

Not really sure that's accurate, though they definitely launched a few apps for iOS/Android *before* WP. But bobbyss was obviously referring to third-party apps, not Microsoft ones.

They effectively killed HERE apps and Maps on WP used to be by far the best, it came from Nokia Maps. But they managed to make it worse then fall far behind Google maps.

You don't need loads of apps. I dunno why people keep rolling that line out. But I want a luas app. I want my three account app, my train app, my library app. Etc. If I don't then I need the browser to be able to handle the website. Edge just isn't up to it.

Great OS but MS has only itself to blame for abysmal neglect.

The hardware also was slightly low rent for the price. Poor speakers, poor build quality and bizarre hard omissions. Glance, no glance.

They effectively killed HERE apps and Maps on WP used to be by far the best, it came from Nokia Maps. But they managed to make it worse then fall far behind Google maps.

You don't need loads of apps. I dunno why people keep rolling that line out. But I want a luas app. I want my three account app, my train app, my library app. Etc. If I don't then I need the browser to be able to handle the website. Edge just isn't up to it.

Great OS but MS has only itself to blame for abysmal neglect.

The hardware also was slightly low rent for the price. Poor speakers, poor build quality and bizarre hard omissions. Glance, no glance.

I'm curious, you've been pretty negative about WP on this forum for a couple of years now, are you still using it?

I've been dual phoning for a while one Android, Main sim in WP. Only in the the last couple of weeks have stopped using the WP. I much prefer the WP OS to Android, actually I really dislike Android. So it was a reluctant change. I've been using WP for probably 3yrs or more. Waiting for it to mature.

I suspect the Lumia 950 has a bit more oompf to make performance issues, not as noticeable.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'll probably switch to android in the new year. I have absolutely no issue with the lack of apps, what's killing me is how unreliable the phone is. I can't rely on little things like being able to take a photo or open watsapp without the phone ****ting itlself on occasion.

• Advertisement

I also used my Windows and Android phones side by side for a while.

I just like the ease of Windows, the home screen, live tiles and the smooth multiple mail/calendar experience (as I'm using caldav/carddav next to office365) but the lack of consumer apps really made it hard to continue using the device. And carrying two devices was just not practical.

I now have migrated to an Android phone (could not convince myself to join the church of apple) and with the excellent Microsoft apps available for Android, I have an easier experience transitioning. In fact some of the Microsoft Garage Apps are superior to their Windows Counterparts.

Yes I still don't have a great live tile homescreen and outlook does not allow caldav/carddav (unlike Windows Mail/Calendar) but otherwise my work life (Microsoft centric) and my consumer life (gadget driven) is now balanced on the same device. And I can even pay with my phone.

Do I miss the ease of Windows Phone Home Screen, absolutely. Would I go back if more consumer apps were available? In a heart beat.

But it came down to the lack of consumer apps for me, I'm now getting used to the Blackberry Hub which just has simplified my life so much by giving me everything in one view.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'll probably switch to android in the new year. I have absolutely no issue with the lack of apps, what's killing me is how unreliable the phone is. I can't rely on little things like being able to take a photo or open watsapp without the phone ****ting itlself on occasion.

I use the camera quite a bit. It had become completely unreliable on my WP. Kept crashing, would work one moment, not the next. A reset would fix it for a while then it would start again. Its a pity because the camera on the 640 punched well above its weight. I was very tempted to get a 950 just for the camera.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I use the camera quite a bit. It had become completely unreliable on my WP. Kept crashing, would work one moment, not the next. A reset would fix it for a while then it would start again. Its a pity because the camera on the 640 punched well above its weight. I was very tempted to get a 950 just for the camera.

Every time it crashes I had to yank the battery out of the phone as it wouldn't shut down otherwise. Same issue with watsapp though much rarer, the camera would crash every day if i was using it a lot.

Never had an issue with Whatsapp.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm curious, you've been pretty negative about WP on this forum for a couple of years now, are you still using it?

Incidentally we still use old WP8/10 phones as media players. Cheaper than getting a MP3 player even if the interface is a bit weird and they never fixed the popup media control issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,684 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm back too.

Switched to Android 6 months ago after being on WP for 4 years. Using a OnePlus One phone that I rooted and installed Oxygen OS on. Probably about the cleanest Android you can get on a very decent spec Android phone. It was good for what Android is good on. Apps & customisation. Had hoped to go x86 Phone (a full on PC running full W10) once that was available from MS but it looks like that won't happen for at least another year

So when I could buy a brand new 950XL from Microsoft (via Amazon.de) for €279, I jumped at the chance. And for that kinda money, it's a superb phone. Running W10 in the fast ring and since earlier this year, it has come on a lot. No crashes yet, Edge is extremely quick, the screen is superb and the phone stays cool (unlike any other high end phone that you work real hard). And the camera must be up there with the Samsung and Apple flagships which cost 3 times as much :eek:

Obviously there are apps now that I miss and can't get on WP. Viewranger the most important one for me.

What's the story on the iOS bridge to WP10? I believe it is still in progress? Unlike the Android bridge which has been killed by MS.

unkel wrote: »
    ...So when I could buy a brand new 950XL from Microsoft (via Amazon.de) for €279, I jumped at the chance. And for that kinda money, it's a superb phone. Running W10 in the fast ring and since earlier this year, it has come on a lot. No crashes yet, Edge is extremely quick...

I have heard the same from other 950 owners I know. I don't think that performance, and stability is true of the other WP10 phones unfortunately.

For that money I can't really lose. There are very few 950 / 950XL on adverts.ie and when they come up, they sell for very strong money. I could sell mine for very close to what I paid for it easily enough should I decide to do that.

I'm holding onto my OnePlus One (that I got cheap second hand for just €130) for the moment anyway. If only for using it as a GPS for going hiking (using ViewRanger) :)

The one thing I forgot to say is that the wireless charging was something I really couldn't live without. Going Android felt like going 5 years back in time. I know you can get wireless on Samsung and Apple flagships now, but the prices of these phones are extremely high - very far out of budget for me. And yes I did have a wireless charging receiving module for the OnePlus One and it worked for a few months. Until it became very finicky how you put the phone on the charger. It became easier to just plug the damn thing in.

I like the idea of wireless charging. But I think with bigger batteries, quick charging is going to replace it.

• Advertisement

You haven't had wireless charging? :eek:

All my Windows phones have had it, starting with my humble 820 back 4 years ago!

Once you go wireless, it is an extreme pain in the neck to go back to having your phone plugged in. Samsung and even backwards Apple have come to see the light in this regard in more recent times :)

Advertisement