Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iMessage for Dummies -an organic guide.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

cococoady wrote: »
    guil wrote: »
    I've just got a 3GS on latest software and is also jail broken. I have everything set up to send iMessage but it always fails. I've retried which fails again so then end up sending as a normal text MSG. When I go to send a text it says iMessage in the box.
    Is there anything I'm doing wrong?,
    I'm on 3 network and have full 3G coverage

Cheers
    imessage will only work if the person you're texting has imessage and has it activated
    Yup they do have it.
    Ate you sure it's enabled? As a last resort you could go to the contact and tap edit. Copy the phone number and paste it in the iPhone field and for some reason that makes iMessage work straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Ate you sure it's enabled? As a last resort you could go to the contact and tap edit. Copy the phone number and paste it in the iPhone field and for some reason that makes iMessage work straight away

Ye it's enabled alright.
    I tried the editing but that didn't seem to make any difference.

I keep getting an email from apple saying

Dear ?, Your Apple ID (?@hotmail.com) was used to sign in to iMessage on an iPhone 3GS

I'm after getting about a dozen of these emails in the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Have you asked your service provider (o2, Vodafone, 3, Meteor)? Sometimes they have to set it up at their end too.

Ye it's enabled alright.
    I tried the editing but that didn't seem to make any difference.

I keep getting an email from apple saying

Dear ?, Your Apple ID ([EMAIL="?@hotmail.com"]?@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]) was used to sign in to iMessage on an iPhone 3GS

I'm after getting about a dozen of these emails in the last few days.
    If you go to settings and then message on both phones, does it have each phone number under receive at?

Have you asked your service provider (o2, Vodafone, 3, Meteor)? Sometimes they have to set it up at their end too.
    I think your wrong about that. The whole point of iMessage is that it's independent of networks. All it needs is data enabled

• Advertisement

If you go to settings and then message on both phones, does it have each phone number under receive at?

It has Verifying beside my phone no.
    Do i need to do something else to get it verified?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Hi Guys,

My imessage seems to have stopped working on 3G since Friday, all my messages will try to send and then I'll get an error message after about a minute. I'm using an iPhone 4, all my settings are the same as before when iMessage was working. All other data related things such as the internet are still working fine on 3G and iMessage works fine on wifi.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It has Verifying beside my phone no.
    Do i need to do something else to get it verified?
    Ah that's why it won't work. Turn off iMessage. Turn the phone off and back on and re enable iMessage. You will get charged for the activation text depending on what network you are with

Ah that's why it won't work. Turn off iMessage. Turn the phone off and back on and re enable iMessage. You will get charged for the activation text depending on what network you are with

Done that. Phone no is now showing as verified but when i go to send a text, it attempts to send as an imessage but keeps failing. I compared settings on both iphones and they are exactly the same and both are with 3. The other iphone, which is 4 and mine is 3gs, has no problem sending and receiving imessages, but not from mine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

I've just got a 3GS on latest software and is also jail broken. I have everything set up to send iMessage but it always fails. I've retried which fails again so then end up sending as a normal text MSG. When I go to send a text it says iMessage in the box.
    Is there anything I'm doing wrong?,
    I'm on 3 network and have full 3G coverage

Cheers

In the short term either "reset network settings" or hold down both the power button and the home button at the same time, ignore all onscreen advice and do not let go until the Apple logo reappears. This may sort it.

However, there is a problem with some 3 SIMs: essentially you may have a -51 series SIM where you need a latest-gen -52 type. Any 3 boutique will swap this out for you on the spot on demand. I did mine last Friday -it took all of 7 minutes.

• Advertisement

culabula wrote: »
    In the short term either "reset network settings" or hold down both the power button and the home button at the same time, ignore all onscreen advice and do not let go until the Apple logo reappears. This may sort it.

However, there is a problem with some 3 SIMs: essentially you may have a -51 series SIM where you need a latest-gen -52 type. Any 3 boutique will swap this out for you on the spot on demand. I did mine last Friday -it took all of 7 minutes.

Ye i done the "reset network settings" but it's still the same

Ye i done the "reset network settings" but it's still the same

Well, then the SIM generation is an acknowledged problem with 3 IRL. Get it swapped!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

If you're on 48 be sure to buy credit in order to verify imessages. It only costs 25c and it wrecked my head until I figured it out!

stacexD wrote: »
    If you're on 48 be sure to buy credit in order to verify imessages. It only costs 25c and it wrecked my head until I figured it out!

25c per message?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To verify imessage not to send every message,

When you first enable it, it needs to verify that the number stored in imessage setting is the actual number of the sim. This doing this costs the price of a message

Mellor wrote: »
    To verify imessage not to send every message,

When you first enable it, it needs to verify that the number stored in imessage setting is the actual number of the sim. This doing this costs the price of a message
    It's an international text to a uk number to verify it. Same with FaceTime

International text? How strange!

International text? How strange!

Why is that strange.
    It's the UK. Texts to the UK are classed as international

Mellor wrote: »
    Why is that strange.
    It's the UK. Texts to the UK are classed as international

Strange that one should have to send an international text to verify a service used in Ireland.

Strange that one should have to send an international text to verify a service used in Ireland.
    The service is provided by Apple, via iCloud - and id assume the nearest server is based in the UK. Which is why the message is sent thre to verify the number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

Recently been having problems with iMessage - think its since the new iOS update maybe? I have an iPhone and an iPad and I'm not receiving some texts from others with iPhones to either device and then sometimes I'm receiving them to my iPad but not my iPhone?
    When I go into settings my mobile number is in grey and I can't access it at all and my email address is below that but it's editable-tried removing email address but now I can't send iMessages at all?!

I'm not very technologically minded so maybe there is something really obvious here that I'm missing?

Have you tried Settings/Messages, and switching iMessage off and on? Or off and rebooting, then on and rebooting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭northeast2012

having some issues with imesage,

i used to use 2 iphones. then switched one to a droid.

the iphone that i switched to a droid, i just wiped it, and gave it away.

when i go into imessage on the iphone that i still have, the phone number now being used in a droid, is on the list in bold.

the phone number of the iphone is on the list but greyed out and selected.

how do i remove the number that is now being used in a droid from the list in imessage?

having some issues with imesage,

i used to use 2 iphones. then switched one to a droid.

the iphone that i switched to a droid, i just wiped it, and gave it away.

when i go into imessage on the iphone that i still have, the phone number now being used in a droid, is on the list in bold.

the phone number of the iphone is on the list but greyed out and selected.

how do i remove the number that is now being used in a droid from the list in imessage?

You should simply be able to untick the number that is not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Looks like im having problems sending imessage.

Ever since i updated to the latest IOS i have been having problems sending imessages. If i go to message someone, as in i start the conversation, my message is sent as a standard txt message but when the other party replies their message comes trhough as an imessage and when i reply to them my imessage works. Once i don't delete the conversation i can imessage the person no problem, but if i delete and start a new conversation im back to square one.

I have tried goling to settings/Messages, and switching iMessage off and on, then off and rebooting, then on and rebooting. I also tried putting the number in under iphone in contacts but still no joy.

I have an iphone 4, any ideas??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

imessage question in relation to imessage on phone and mac.

When I update my OS to Mountain Lion will all my current texts appear on my mac too?
    Or will it just be imessages?
    Or will it just be imessages from after I upgrade?

If there are 2 users using the same mac will this be an issue? I don't think so as we have seperate logins and itunes accounts?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Hi, need help if possible. Daughter has iPod touch, I have android phone
    When we set up messaging on her touch I used my email address to create her apple I'd. I thought then that any apps or messaging she was doing would come through my email so I could keep an eye on use, (she's 10). I've verified address etc, checked settings, but I don't get any notifications of her use on touch. Anyone any idea what I need to do to get it working.
    Thanks
    D.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Well that sorts that :), thanks for the reply cm.
    So am I right in saying that if I set up my email AC on my oh's iPhone which he has for work, I'll b able to do what I'm trying to do?
    D.

• Advertisement

denis160 wrote: »
    When we set up messaging on her touch I used my email address to create her apple I'd. I thought then that any apps or messaging she was doing would come through my email so I could keep an eye on use, (she's 10).
    Messaging is a firm of text messaging, not email. Email address is just used to sign in, it doesn't get routed through your email account or anything.

Advertisement