Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to spend excess Credit [Vodafone&Three on Android + iOS]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I got €10 added to my three account last month and again this month. Anyone know what that's about?

It's a bonus 10 euro applied for every 20 euro top up!
    I've been sending it to charities to stop it from being eaten up by 3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

It's a bonus 10 euro applied for every 20 euro top up!
    I've been sending it to charities to stop it from being eaten up by 3

I thought the additional 10euro can only be used on calls/texts?

Edit: NVM, I guess you are using it on texts to the charities. Good idea :)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Raoul wrote: »
    I thought the additional 10euro can only be used on calls/texts?

Edit: NVM, I guess you are using it on texts to the charities. Good idea :)
    I've been using my porting monthly bonus credit on Play Store purchases but maybe different rules apply? I don't have to top up every month to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Milkers wrote: »
    Anyone else ever get the problem where 3 billing has worked previously in the Play Store but one day the carrier billing option appears with a red "UNAVAILABLE" underneath it and purchases won't go through?

I have same issue at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I have same issue at the moment
    Sometimes adding it again as a payment method works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

DopeTech wrote: »
    Sometimes adding it again as a payment method works.

When I go to pay.google.com for the 3 payment method it says "Account is closed". I removed it and now I can't see any option in the play store or on pay.google.com to add back carrier billing. I wonder if 3 have something to do with this? I've used carrier billing for years up until this

Edit: Never mind I figured it out. I had to go back to the play store app and refresh my payments methods and then the option to add carrier billing appeared again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How does one go about using the Three credit instead of money being taken from credit card? I wanted to pay for Dropbox using the phone credit, but seems they've taken it from my credit card instead (and there's still credit on the phone). Any ideas?
    Neither DropBox nor GooglePay appear to give me the "User Three Billing" option, they just allow me to add another card..

Ficheall wrote: »
    How does one go about using the Three credit instead of money being taken from credit card? I wanted to pay for Dropbox using the phone credit, but seems they've taken it from my credit card instead (and there's still credit on the phone). Any ideas?
    Neither DropBox nor GooglePay appear to give me the "User Three Billing" option, they just allow me to add another card..

AFAIK it's not an option for Dropbox. I do pay for OneDrive and GDrive storage via credit, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I pay for Dropbox using credit. Are you trying to pay using the app as opposed to the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I pay for Dropbox using credit. Are you trying to pay using the app as opposed to the website?
    Yep. But even aside from Dropbox (as in just in Google Pay) I can only see the option to add another card, not Use Three billing, which is apparently what I'm supposed to look for..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

anyone use dublin parking using their credit. recall someone saying on this thread that it wouldnt work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Google are discontinuing Google play music and transferring your sub to YouTube music app. Might as well download it now and transfer your library over! Such a pity, much preferred Google play music app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Google are discontinuing Google play music and transferring your sub to YouTube music app. Might as well download it now and transfer your library over! Such a pity, much preferred Google play music app

Same this has been coming for a while though. They did announce it will be sometime this year with no date on it though.

Thanks for that. Transferred last night, and it only just completed this morning. I'd say the process is being hammered right now.

I couldn't find how to do it within the YT Music app, so did it via https://music.youtube.com/transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Now I get to enjoy all my songs with adverts, thanks google. Always adding value.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Basil3 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Transferred last night, and it only just completed this morning. I'd say the process is being hammered right now.

I couldn't find how to do it within the YT Music app, so did it via https://music.youtube.com/transfer

Yes I had to do same

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭thebo

Was reading an article about three removing usage limits on their all you can eat plan. See this quote

"However, the operator says that it can still cut users off if they use their smartphones as a hotspot, which is a popular thing to do for those without any decent home broadband."

How do they know you are using a hotspot. I assume they can't tell if you use hotspot to your laptop or can they track of you use them SIM modems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

thebo wrote: »
    Was reading an article about three removing usage limits on their all you can eat plan. See this quote

"However, the operator says that it can still cut users off if they use their smartphones as a hotspot, which is a popular thing to do for those without any decent home broadband."

How do they know you are using a hotspot. I assume they can't tell if you use hotspot to your laptop or can they track of you use them SIM modems?

Of course they can technically do that, several ways in fact, but up until now they haven't. I've had a phone SIM in a modem for about 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

jeffk wrote: »
    Im still playing where is my credit gone with 3

20 euro is 20 euro, almost three months of onedrive for me

FINALLY got a decision, I was imagining I had 60 then 40 when the new change over happened :rolleyes:

They sent me a usage report with loads of information to try and back it up, randomly picking dates (like not a 1st of each month onwards) and not easy to read

I just said I know what was there, but no point going on anymore as took a month to get this far

Only thing I can do is use Onedrive at E7 a month and make phone calls (that should eat most of my credit with their rates) to not let it build up again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I bought an EastWest map with Three credit the other day. Good for hillwalking etc., and was mentioned here a couple of years ago. A minority interest, perhaps, but the fact that the transaction went through surprised me, as it was nearly 34 euro - I thought I remembered reading that the limit was 30(?) Couldn't justify spending that much of my actual money on this at the moment, but happy to use up a good chunk of my credit heap :D

• Advertisement

For anyone on Three, if you haven't made a Play Store purchase since 1st January, you'll get €5 off your next purchase until 9th July when paying by Three carrier billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

I bought an EastWest map with Three credit the other day. Good for hillwalking etc., and was mentioned here a couple of years ago. A minority interest, perhaps, but the fact that the transaction went through surprised me, as it was nearly 34 euro - I thought I remembered reading that the limit was 30(?) Couldn't justify spending that much of my actual money on this at the moment, but happy to use up a good chunk of my credit heap :D

An actual physical map?

I've used credit in the past to buy tokens on viewranger and then get chunks of Ordnance Survey maps on that but not physical maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

that's some rip

find OSMAND good for trails etc, even bought it just to use up the credit even though it does nothing the free one can't

basically I bought the paid version of any apps i have used a lot of with the credit as they deserved it in fairness

there's so little on the app store worth buying, its mad given how much money passes through it, most on games or gambling i suppose

that's some rip

find OSMAND good for trails etc, even bought it just to use up the credit even though it does nothing the free one can't
    It absolutey isn't considering the amount of work that goes into producing those excellent maps, the limited market for them in this country and the distinct lack of decent mapping of most of the country before EastWest, a small Irish business, came on the scene.

OsmAnd is great, I use it all the time too, but the mapping on it is no substitute for the mapping produced by EastWest, Harvey etc.

Got €120 bonus porting credit with a phone I bought before Christmas and that's all being spent on EastWest & ViewRanger!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

An actual physical map?

I've used credit in the past to buy tokens on viewranger and then get chunks of Ordnance Survey maps on that but not physical maps.
    No, sorry - I should have specified in-app electronic one :o

Just subscribed to The Athletic via their Android app for 50% off using credit. Came to just over €30 for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

is there anyway to use credit to buy oculus quest games?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

cintec wrote: »
    is there anyway to use credit to buy oculus quest games?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Quackster wrote: »
    It absolutey isn't considering the amount of work that goes into producing those excellent maps, the limited market for them in this country and the distinct lack of decent mapping of most of the country before EastWest, a small Irish business, came on the scene.

OsmAnd is great, I use it all the time too, but the mapping on it is no substitute for the mapping produced by EastWest, Harvey etc.

Got €120 bonus porting credit with a phone I bought before Christmas and that's all being spent on EastWest & ViewRanger!

The OSI make great maps that cover the whole country at a much lower price

• Advertisement

The OSI make great maps that cover the whole country at a much lower price
    There is no comparison between the level of detail on the OSI/OSNI 1:50,000 series and the 1:25,000/1:30,000 mapping produced by EastWest and Harvey.

If the OS mapping is sufficient for your needs, then fair enough as it obviously works out a lot cheaper per unit area coverage.

Advertisement