Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honourary Irish Citizenship

• 30-12-2018 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Have you lived abroad? If so, is there any famous foreign person(s) who you believe to be worthy of honourary Irish citizenship? If so, please nominate that person here and give a brief account of the person as they might not be universally known. I would like to see Mikhail Gorbachev receive honourary Irish citizenship because he was one of the people who negotiated the INF (intermediate range nuclear forces) treaty between the former Soviet Union and the USA.

Since then, sucessive US presidents, (Clinton, George W Bush and Obama) have all tried and failed to water down the treaty but Putin to his credit has refused to renegotiate. This is one of the reasons the US and it`s allies have been spoiling for a fight with Russia these past couple of decades.

Now the Trump administration has unilaterally broken the treaty but of course they are trying to blame Russia. To be fair to Trump, I think it is the CIA and non removable bums bleeding the US taxpayer types who are the true aggressors where Russia is concerned. After all, without a cold war, why waste money paying M or 007 types. Without a cold war, such people (often selected for their psychopathic tendencies) are dispensible.

What I know is that in 1987 and for a few years following the signing of the INF treaty, the world seemed to be a happier, more hopeful, less fearful place where international love and peace had a chance. Being trusting is not the reserve of the gullible, it is also used appropriately by the wise.

* Rather than debaiting the above, please nominate who You believe is worthy of honourary Irish citizenship.

Advertisement