Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/10/overseas-trio-primed-for-wallabies-call-up

Cheika has spoken to Giteau, Mitchell and George Smith and all three have confirmed availability for the RWC under Australia's new policy.

Not really sure about Smith but Mitchell and Giteau would be great additions.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/10/overseas-trio-primed-for-wallabies-call-up

Cheika has spoken to Giteau, Mitchell and George Smith and all three have confirmed availability for the RWC under Australia's new policy.

Not really sure about Smith but Mitchell and Giteau would be great additions.

How was the Australian policy changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

The board of directors sat down and discussed the issue. They subsequently voted on it, and it passed by a majority of 8 votes to 2. The new policy was released to the players and the media.

They're now allowing overseas players who have 60 caps and played in Australia for 7 years before leaving.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    The board of directors sat down and discussed the issue. They subsequently voted on it, and it passed by a majority of 8 votes to 2. The new policy was released to the players and the media.

You cheeky pedantic... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

2 sides had 14 representatives at 2011 tournament: Leinster ... & Russian side VVA-Podmoskovye

What sides do people think will match/beat that figure this time round?

2 sides had 14 representatives at 2011 tournament: Leinster ... & Russian side VVA-Podmoskovye

What sides do people think will match/beat that figure this time round?

Leinster

Healy, McGrath, Ross, Moore, Cronin, Strauss, Toner, SOB, Heaslip, Murphy, Boss, Reddan, Sexton, Madigan, Fitzgerald, Kearney = 16

That number could go up too if the likes of Furlong, McFadden or Ruddock sneak in.

I'd imagine Glasgow will have a serious representation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster

Healy, McGrath, Ross, Moore, Cronin, Strauss, Toner, SOB, Heaslip, Murphy, Boss, Reddan, Sexton, Madigan, Fitzgerald, Kearney = 16

That number could go up too if the likes of Furlong, McFadden or Ruddock sneak in.

Bent is an outside bet too

• Registered Users Posts: 3 concon147

I bought 3 CATA tickets for france game, wondering should I hold onto them or put them back up. Would rather cheaper ones but i'd be afraid i'd be left with none.
    Will CAT A tickets be valuable closer to the time?

Leinster

Reckon the new Argentinian Super Rugby franchise might top the lot...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

I understand that the re-branding of the IRB took place after all the World Cup insignia had been decided on, hence why it's still the "IRB Rugby World Cup", but why are World Cup tournaments not branded individually? As with the FIFA World Cup? Or the Olympics? Insignificant matter I know, but at least it'd be the end of that horrendous green, white and blue striped logo we've had since as far back as 1995 if this were the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Australia have named a provisional 22 man squad (excluding Waratahs, Brumbies, and overseas players) for the Rugby Championship. Will be added to after the conclusion of the Super Rugby season. The eventual squad will be reduced to 35 for the Rugby Championship and then reduced once again for the World Cup.

The most interesting selection for me is Karmichael Hunt, who really has done nothing this year to impress. Some players can feel unlucky not to be in the squad such as Timani, Stirzaker, Inman, Harris, Charles, and Godwin.
    Props: Paul Alo-Emile (Rebels); Toby Smith (Rebels); James Slipper (Reds); Greg Holmes (Reds); Tetera Faulkner (Force)

Hookers: Saia Fainga'a (Reds); James Hanson (Reds)

Second Row: Luke Jones (Rebels); James Horwill (Reds); Rob Simmons (Reds); Adam Coleman (Force)

Backrow: Sean McMahon (Rebels); Scott Higginbotham (Rebels); Liam Gill (Reds); Matt Hodgson (Force); Ben McCalman (Force)

Scrum Half: Will Genia (Reds)

Outhalf: Quade Cooper (Reds)

Centre: Samu Kerevi (Reds)

Back 3: Karmichael Hunt (Reds); James O'Connor (Reds); Nick Cummins (Force)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Looking at Australia's squad their potential backline could be absolutely sick.

Pretty serious mark of their backs depth that backlines of these quality could be chosen separately

Genia
    Cooper
    Tomane
    Toomua
    Kuridrani
    Mitchell
    O'Connor

White
    Foley
    Speight
    Giteau
    AAC
    Cummins
    Folau

and that's still leaving out the likes of Phipps, Leliafano, Beale, Horne, Kerevi etc and a few others I'm sure I've forgotten - in any case there's no chance their back subs will want for quality either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Nick Cummins got in... Well that's an utter joke. No matter how many funny post match interviews he provides he's been rubbish this year for the Force.

James O'Connor has been very poor too but nit as bad as Cummins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'd hope for Australia's sake that all those back line players bar Genia are there to make up numbers. Cooper has made little impact, Kerevi has been alright but there are better options, while Hunt, JOC and Cummins have been plain bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭b.gud

The Italian players are apparently not happy with the proposed performance bonuses that they are being offered
    http://www.the42.ie/italy-world-cup-players-strike-rwc-bonuses-2162790-Jun2015/

American training squad has plenty of links to Irish rugby.

Justin Fitzpatrick is forwards coach, John Quill, ex Dolphin RFC Munster A, London Irish academy, London Welsh
    Scott LaValla, currently with Stade Francais had played with Trinity
    Tim Maupin currently plays with Trinity
    AJ MacGinty is son of Blackrock College Principal..

http://usarugby.org/mens-eagles-news/item/tolkin-selects-world-cup-training-squad
    http://www.the42.ie/ireland-usa-world-cup-squad-exiles-2168031-Jun2015/

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/24/liam-williams-fitness-battle-foot-surgery-wales-world-cup

Foot surgery for Liam Williams, no timeframe on recovery, but he'd be a massive blow to Wales if unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Manuel Montero has torn an ACL. Big blow to the Argies.

• Advertisement

When is the dead line squads to be announced?

31 august but most sides will name them well in advance of that.

31 august but most sides will name them well in advance of that.

So 31 August for Ireland around "lunchtime"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but as it's RWC related I'll chance it...

I'm trying to make a Twitter list of various media/journos that cover rugby and I have a fair few for Ireland/UK but I was wondering if anyone knows of any good ones from the US or Canada. I'm not sure how much coverage the sport gets there and it seems any of the big sports media sources just have the general sports twitter rather than rugby specific ones.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/24/liam-williams-fitness-battle-foot-surgery-wales-world-cup

Foot surgery for Liam Williams, no timeframe on recovery, but he'd be a massive blow to Wales if unavailable.

Reports now surfacing that he's had to have two toes amputated to fight infection.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Reports now surfacing that he's had to have two toes amputated to fight infection.

That sounds career ending. Can you ever run properly again after missing some toes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That sounds career ending. Can you ever run properly again after missing some toes?

Good question, would it depend on which toes? Might explain why he's indefinite to return too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

razorblunt wrote: »

Reports from where? That sounds very unusual, would imagine it would be seriously career threatening if true, much as I dislike him as a player, I hope it turns out to be just a rumor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

The deadline is the 6th of September. The day after we play out last warm-up game against England in Twickenham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

nc6000 wrote: »
    The deadline is the 6th of September. The day after we play out last warm-up game against England in Twickenham.

Is it the 6th? Most other reports have it as the 31st of August, can't see anything on the tournament website though about deadlines so that reporting could be wrong.

Advertisement