Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to expect in the Boilerhouse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thinking of going to the boiler house just wondering do I need to bring anything with me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Jimmy1002 wrote: »
    Thinking of going to the boiler house just wondering do I need to bring anything with me

If you want you could bring a toy but other than that no you need nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Jimmy1002 wrote:

If you have particular brands of lube or poppers that you like, bring them along.
    If you have your own nozzle for douching, bring it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Anyone have any info on when it'll be back open? Same time as the bars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

cgcsb wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on when it'll be back open? Same time as the bars?

Dunno, but I reckon half the clientele will be cocooning for the foreseeable :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Mattdhg wrote: »

:)

Don’t see it surviving coronavirus to be honest.
    It’s a breeding ground for all sorts of germs at the best of times

Mattdhg wrote: »

Lots of young fellas of a Saturday night to be fair.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Don’t see it surviving coronavirus to be honest.
    It’s a breeding ground for all sorts of germs at the best of times

a shame. One of Europe's best in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hi sorry for jumping in but the boilerhouse is a name I haven’t heard in a while! In the late 90s I worked in the tech side of the hospitality industry and as I was the youngest staff member and the last in I was given all the gay jobs , the job would be phoned in and automatically “ash, job in for you “ it didn’t matter if I was trained or not , I’d be trained before I went:) . I remember thinking it was a pub and standing outside calling the office to say I’m here but can’t see it :)

Anyway I thought I’d share as a measure of how far the country had moved on in 20 years OR NOT?

• Advertisement

Hi sorry for jumping in but the boilerhouse is a name I haven’t heard in a while! In the late 90s I worked in the tech side of the hospitality industry and as I was the youngest staff member and the last in I was given all the gay jobs , the job would be phoned in and automatically “ash, job in for you “ it didn’t matter if I was trained or not , I’d be trained before I went:) . I remember thinking it was a pub and standing outside calling the office to say I’m here but can’t see it :)

Anyway I thought I’d share as a measure of how far the country had moved on in 20 years OR NOT?

Like what tech jobs did the boiler house need? what are all the gay jobs? was it because you were young or because you were gay? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

You were given all the "gay jobs"?

Whats that now ?

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    You were given all the "gay jobs"?

Whats that now ?

I should have used “” for that bit

Like what tech jobs did the boiler house need? what are all the gay jobs? was it because you were young or because you were gay? lol

The boiler house has tech that needs installation and maintenance

I was referring to homophobia of the time the fact that the older engineers would bypass such calls.

I was referring to homophobia of the time the fact that the older engineers would bypass such calls.

That's mad. Like obviously there are homophobes, but imagine going through such effort to avoid even seeing a gay person. Some serious psychology at play there.

What were the other 'gay jobs' though? I'm fascinated.

That's mad. Like obviously there are homophobes, but imagine going through such effort to avoid even seeing a gay person. Some serious psychology at play there.

Apologies I used the term as it was used to me, a number of bars and the boiler house would have been given to me as the newest and youngest technician, I am straight by the way, however... joke was on them as they were great craic

I don't think the poster was setting out to offend or hurt anyone.

The thread is about the boiler house, "gay jobs" to me sounds like gay bars etc etc
    Whats the problem.

imme wrote: »
    I don't think the poster was setting out to offend or hurt anyone.

The thread is about the boiler house, "gay jobs" to me sounds like gay bars etc etc
    Whats the problem.

Perhaps it's the medium of online posts, I never meant it to sound like I was offended. I just thought it was funny. Also curious for an example and something that I never considered before.

I wasn't getting shirty or anything, didn't mean it to sound that way :D

I see the gay saunas of Spain reopened last night under strict conditions. 50% capacity and sterilized surfaces. I wonder what the HSE advice here is? Given the boiler house is the only such establishment in the state, I doubt there'll be specific guidelines like in Spain.

cgcsb wrote:
    the boiler house is the only such establishment in the state

The Dock/The Inn on the Liffey isn't in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Heebie wrote: »
    The Dock/The Inn on the Liffey isn't in Ireland?

It was but is no longer in existence.

cgcsb wrote:
    It was but is no longer in existence.

Recent development?

Heebie wrote: »
    Recent development?

Seems to be,

There was a piece in the Irish Times at the time of this GCN article about saunas being moribund.

https://gcn.ie/internet-probably-killed-irish-gay-sauna-scene/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The building is up for sale.

Note:

1: No internal pictures
    2: The interesting euphemism of "health studio"

The layout is visible (sauna, booths etc) on the floorplan but the brochure still has zero internal pictures

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/mediamaster-s3eu/d/b/db0c7552fefc3c504e315d785cc6c5a9.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Often wondered, is the BH Lesbian/trans etc friendly ?

Often wondered, is the BH Lesbian/trans etc friendly ?

It’s men only but trans could get in I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

L1011 wrote: »
    The building is up for sale.

Note:

1: No internal pictures
    2: The interesting euphemism of "health studio"

The layout is visible (sauna, booths etc) on the floorplan but the brochure still has zero internal pictures

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/mediamaster-s3eu/d/b/db0c7552fefc3c504e315d785cc6c5a9.pdf

I thought you meant the Boilerhouse was up for sale first before I clicked on the link:eek:

Anyway, I’m not a fan of saunas but felt it was a sort of “rites of passage” to visit the Boilerhouse at least once as I’ve been to all the other gay establishments in Dublin, so myself and a more experienced friend went there at the start of the year. It is fairly expensive to enter (think I paid €25) but I suppose it’s up to you then if you want to get your money's worth so to speak. I had a look around and left my friend there to enjoy himself once my curiosity was sated.

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I thought you meant the Boilerhouse was up for sale first before I clicked on the link:eek:

Anyway, I’m not a fan of saunas but felt it was a sort of “rites of passage” to visit the Boilerhouse at least once as I’ve been to all the other gay establishments in Dublin, so myself and a more experienced friend went there at the start of the year. It is fairly expensive to enter (think I paid €25) but I suppose it’s up to you then if you want to get your money's worth so to speak. I had a look around and left my friend there to enjoy himself once my curiosity was sated.

What were you expecting
    What did you find

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

imme wrote: »
    What were you expecting
    What did you find

I was expecting it to be a huge place altogether but it was much more intimate. It was also very quiet with only around 12 guys or so there, and half of them were in the little bar area having a chat.
    It was pretty late on a Sunday night too though so I assume the place is much busier on a Friday and Saturday.

• Advertisement

It’s good when you need a quick release but I always regret going in there

Advertisement