Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Genealogy research for an adoptee...

• 10-02-2021 5:32pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm helping a friend try to trace his roots from a Mother and Baby home in the North back to his long lost family.... and the trail leads to Cavan.

I guess my question is, does anyone know genealogy resources or anything even vaguely like that that might help someone looking for family down there to pick up clues? We're talking about 1921 -1951 time frame so the online stuff isnt up to date for that time...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Perhaps someone in the Cavan County Museum might be able to point you in the right direction? Im a blow-in so no use to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I suppose the usual questions arise, do they know their birth mothers name, and what town, village or parish she was from.
    Date of birth is "usually" correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

I think the Johnston Library (Cavan town) has a Genealogy and Archives section

EDIT: http://www.cavanlibrary.ie/Default.aspx?StructureID_str=35

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

There use to be a birth ,death and marriage office at the entrance to lisdarn hospital,not sure if it is still there. good luck with ur research

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I’m a Genealogist. Why not contact the Registry of Births at the General Registry Office and give the name and date of birth and mother’s name. The birth would have to be registered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hello - Genealogy forum mod here. We've lots of helpful people and resources stickied on our board.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thank you all so much for your help, I'll definitely followup on several of these suggestions!

Advertisement