Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenancy purchase scheme

• 28-05-2020 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Has anyone been able to complete a
    Buying their council house under tenancy a purchase scheme of recent. Are any council still processing this application. This has been stressful for me. I put in my application since last year June and it has just be valued in March and pandemic seems to have stopped them from sending out an engineer to check the house. It's been very stressful process for me and given me so much anxiety. I needed to do a lot of other things like buying a new car but I just think it's better i complete the mortgage first before doing this. Any advice on this? Thanks

Comments

Why are they sending out an engineer? You buy the house as-is, any problems become your problems. The person that valued the property is the only person the council will be sending out to you.

If you feel the have priced it too high, then you can hire an approved auctioneer/valuer to re-value it, but otherwise the council will just take their valuers word that what they said is correct on it.

You do need to get a surveyor out to note the condition of the property and you have to put in writing that you accept the property in it's current condition. But this is a cost you bear, the council don't do it for you.

Give them a ring and ask them what the next step in the process is. They generally have a person devoted to the scheme who knows it inside out, and can tell you if the next move to be made is theres or yours. Also, i only found this out late in the day, but they want you to pay 10% of the price of the house to them at a random stage in the process, which is your deposit. So if you've some money lying around, do be going buying a car, if it will leave you broke, as you'll be otherwise waiting to build up your deposit again to move on with the purchase process.

Also, in the same paragraph talking about buying a discounted council house, and then saying it's stressing you because you want to buy a new car, is the kind of thing that will annoy many people, including those working in the council office. Treat them with respect or they'll (perhaps rightly) put you on the long finger forever and drag the process out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Olugere

Thanks KKV for all your advice.

However, I do not considered buying a new car as a council tenant to be disrespectful to the council staff in any form. I work full time myself ilcommuting from Cavan to Dublin. I have moved on since given council house over 10 years ago, working and paying my tax. I needed a new car for my essential travel to work and very urgently. You should know having a car in Ireland is not a luxury but essesntial.

Anyway, the process has progressed significantly since my last post. I believe people working in the council's are not this sentimental in their judgements toward councils tenants. There are many hard working people in my council estate and our rents are not that cheap as people thinks. Rents are yearly accessed according to individual household incomes
    Nevertheless. I'm grateful for the opportunity when I needed it and that is how it meant to be. To support people in order to start better life and contribute to the progress of the country. I understand there may be some people abusing the system but we can't generalise.

For any Other person going this route of tenancy purchase scheme, credit union are the best way to go. Although the process from application to purchase isn't easy but I supposed it will worth it at the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Did you manage to purchase the house Olugere, or is the process still on-going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Olugere

Gaspode wrote: »
    Did you manage to purchase the house Olugere, or is the process still on-going?

Still on-going

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement