Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could Monsanto Destroy Irelands Farmers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

A look at some of the other good News sites (ones with comment sections, can't beat 'em) dissecting that lawyer speak break it down the same way as links above.

Your interpretation (which just looks like a summary of Monsantos Press Release) is wrong.

Give links then. Because I don't think I'm wrong, and I won't think I am wrong simply based on your assertion, sans any evidence.
    Big difference between a Car and a "harmful" crop that could find it's way into every Jar, Tin and soup packet type foodstuff you buy. Unlabelled the way things are going.

If a crop is found to be harmful, then it will be removed from the food line. The legislation does not protect dangerous crops from destruction, what it does is protect any crop from procedural challenge (ie someone asserts that regulated status was improperly bestowed) until it is determined if that was the case. The last sentence of section 735:
    Provided further, That nothing in this section shall be construed as limiting the Secretary’s authority under section 411, 412 and 414 of the Plant Protection Act.
    ensures that proven harmful crops can still be dealt with.

Any chance you have the evidence I asked for in my last post? I'm just looking for some links to such lawsuits actually happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Give links then. Because I don't think I'm wrong, and I won't think I am wrong simply based on your assertion, sans any evidence.
    Already have, don't see the point in adding anymore.
    If a crop is found to be harmful, then it will be removed from the food line.
    lol, If Independent Scientists can actually manage to get samples to prove their harmful in the first place that is.

And then a "sponsored" "scientist" will be along shortly after to disprove it again and on the show goes.

Any chance you have the evidence I asked for in my last post? I'm just looking for some links to such lawsuits actually happening.
    Just looking at previous post, is Organic Farmers taking out Insurance against litigation from cross contamination not proof enough?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Actually that has happened. A Canadian farmer, Percy Schmeiser, discovered that some of his plants were contaminated with Monsanto Roundup Ready canola seed, which was likely to have happened through windborn seeds. He was sued by Monsanto and the result was 6 years of litigation.

You just have to look at Monsanto's history of ligitation to see what their business model is: patent like hell and then sue like hell. They file cases against so many people, they've even done it by mistake.

I must admit I'm not rabidly anti-GM, although of course the precautionary principle must apply. It's more the tactics and agenda of these companies that I find very disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I wonder how far would i get if i sued monsanto for contaminating my crops?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

shedweller wrote: »
    I wonder how far would i get if i sued monsanto for contaminating my crops?!

That's the perversity of the whole thing. They contaminate your crops, they sue you and, if they win, earn the legal right to contaminate crops.

• Advertisement

Already have, don't see the point in adding anymore.

No, you gave links which said that section 735 would give monsato crops immunity, without even quoting the text they said would do that. Either explain, with reference to specific parts of the text, how section 735 gives immunity to the crops or link to someone else explaining it with references.
    lol, If Independent Scientists can actually manage to get samples to prove their harmful in the first place that is.

And then a "sponsored" "scientist" will be along shortly after to disprove it again and on the show goes.

Cant independent scientists just buy a sample?
    Just looking at previous post, is Organic Farmers taking out Insurance against litigation from cross contamination not proof enough?

No. People getting insurance against something they don't understand isn't evidence of anything.

Macha wrote: »
    Actually that has happened. A Canadian farmer, Percy Schmeiser, discovered that some of his plants were contaminated with Monsanto Roundup Ready canola seed, which was likely to have happened through windborn seeds. He was sued by Monsanto and the result was 6 years of litigation.

He wasn't sued because his crops were contaminated, he was sued because he knowingly replanted the seeds he obtained as a result of contamination, from Wikipedia:
    In 1997, Percy Schmeiser found Monsanto's genetically modified “Roundup Ready Canola” plants growing near his farm. He testified that he sprayed his nearby field and found that much of the crop survived, meaning it was also Roundup Ready.[2] He testified that he then harvested that crop, saved it separately from his other harvest, and intentionally planted it in 1998.[2] Monsanto approached him to pay a license fee for using Monsanto's patented technology without a license. Schmeiser refused, claiming that the actual seed was his because it was grown on his land, and so Monsanto sued Schmeiser for patent infringement.

I'm not saying I agree with Monsato suing him, but it is not the same situation being described here.
    You just have to look at Monsanto's history of ligitation to see what their business model is: patent like hell and then sue like hell. They file cases against so many people, they've even done it by mistake.

I must admit I'm not rabidly anti-GM, although of course the precautionary principle must apply. It's more the tactics and agenda of these companies that I find very disturbing.

I would be the same as you, in relation to GM and the owner companies. I have no problem believing that a GM company would patent and sue like hell to protect their products from criticism or outside control, no more than I would have a problem that a pharmaceutical company or technological company would do that, its not like there aren't plenty of examples. I just want actual, specific evidence for it.

The problem with conspiracy theorists blasting out frivolous accusations left, right and centre is that it just builds up a "boy who cries wolf" situation. With every accusation quickly found to be a lie, or a massive exaggeration, it becomes too easy to just ignore them all, which just increases our chances of missing actual dangerous practices companies might be undertaking.

He wasn't sued because his crops were contaminated, he was sued because he knowingly replanted the seeds he obtained as a result of contamination, from Wikipedia:

I'm not saying I agree with Monsato suing him, but it is not the same situation being described here.
    That is one interpretation of the facts. If your seeds are contaminated, what exactly are you supposed to plant? The man had worked years on his own breed of seed and that work was wiped out by Monsanto's contamination. Why wasn't he the one suing them?
    I would be the same as you, in relation to GM and the owner companies. I have no problem believing that a GM company would patent and sue like hell to protect their products from criticism or outside control, no more than I would have a problem that a pharmaceutical company or technological company would do that, its not like there aren't plenty of examples. I just want actual, specific evidence for it.
    I think if you can't take the above as evidence, you're not going to find much evidence at all. These stories are spun every which way - if you have the money, you have access to the best legal resources to fight these cases and make sure your side of the story is the one that wins out.

The suing of farmers by the large seed companies has become so prevalent, the US Centre for Food Safety just released a report about it:

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/reports/1770/seed-giants-vs-us-farmers

Monsanto alone has filed patent infringement suits against 410 farmers and 56 small businesses, winning $23million and frightening thousands of farmers into submission. There is currently a Supreme Court case happening that could have big implications:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/cert/11-796
    The problem with conspiracy theorists blasting out frivolous accusations left, right and centre is that it just builds up a "boy who cries wolf" situation. With every accusation quickly found to be a lie, or a massive exaggeration, it becomes too easy to just ignore them all, which just increases our chances of missing actual dangerous practices companies might be undertaking.
    Let's tone down the language. Play the ball, not the man please.

That is one interpretation of the facts. If your seeds are contaminated, what exactly are you supposed to plant? The man had worked years on his own breed of seed and that work was wiped out by Monsanto's contamination. Why wasn't he the one suing them?

His crop wasn't wiped out, read the wiki again: He testified that he then harvested that crop, saved it separately from his other harvest, and intentionally planted it in 1998.
    Again, I'm not saying I agree with Monsanto suing him, but if you want to know why he didn't sue them himself in the first place, you will need to ask himself yourself, because I don't know.
    I think if you can't take the above as evidence, you're not going to find much evidence at all.

I accept the above as evidence of Monsanto being incredibly loose with litigation, I have no problem with that. I, however, wanted specific examples of Monsanto doing what Squeaky the Squirrel claimed (suing farmers simply because their crops where naturally contaminated with Monsanto seeds).
    The suing of farmers by the large seed companies has become so prevalent, the US Centre for Food Safety just released a report about it

I'm not disputing anything in that report, but just to point out that its not the US Centre for Food Safety, its the Centre for Food Safety. Its not a US governmental organisation (maybe you didn't mean this, but it looks implied by how its written), its a non-profit that promotes organic food and sustainable agriculture. You should expect, not be surprised by, reports on the actions of GM companies coming from it.
    There is currently a Supreme Court case happening that could have big implications:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/cert/11-796

That is an important case, but not the same thing that Squeaky the Squirrel described before: the guy in the link is being sued for replanting 2nd gen seeds (of first gen seeds originally sold as commodities not for planting), not because his crop was contaminated. Again I don't agree with the court case.
    Let's tone down the language. Play the ball, not the man please.

:confused: What language?

No, you gave links which said that section 735 would give monsato crops immunity, without even quoting the text they said would do that. Either explain, with reference to specific parts of the text, how section 735 gives immunity to the crops or link to someone else explaining it with references.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=monsanto+protection+act&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=monsanto+protection+act&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&ei=FvxdUYnFGrSGiQKFloCACg&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44770516,d.dmg&fp=affe9f0ee5632ff&biw=1120&bih=517

Monsanto Protection Act put GM companies above the federal courts

^^Squeakys ears nearly glazed over never mind his eyes.:pac:

Another mess in the making...

USDA approves Monsanto alfalfa despite presence of infertility-causing pathogens
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture has recently deregulated Monsanto's Roundup Ready alfalfa, but two weeks before the department's chief, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, made his decision, a senior soil expert alerted USDA to a newly discovered, microscopic pathogen that had been found in high concentrations in Roundup Ready corn and soy the researchers believe could be causing infertility in livestock, as well as diseases in crops that have the potential to threaten the nation's entire domestic food supply.

The warning was issued by Dr. Don Huber, a plant pathologist and former Purdue University professor, who wrote in a letter to the Department of Agriculture that the pathogen he discovered is new to scientists, and that it appears to impact the health of plants, animals and most likely humans to a significant degree.

"Based on this experience, I believe the threat we are facing from this pathogen is unique and of a high risk status. In layman's terms, it should be treated as an emergency," Huber warned.

The retired professor has called for an immediate moratorium on any approvals of Roundup Ready crops. Despite his warning; however, the USDA fully deregulated Monsanto's Roundup Ready alfalfa
    Lab tests indicate that the pathogen is also present in a "wide variety" of livestock that is suffering from infertility and spontaneous abortions. Huber warned that the pathogen may be responsible for reports of increased fertility rates in dairy cows and spontaneous abortions in cattle that reach as high a 45 percent.
    http://ec.europa.eu/food/dyna/gm_register/index_en.cfm

Look at all this rotten crap in Europe now (Hit search)
    Cant independent scientists just buy a sample?
    WTF!? Keep up, independent studies are/were prohibitied/restricted. Alot of what is released is data gathered from multiple sources after the damage is done (pesticides in the rain, though someone else said on thread they'd no problem eating pesticices as they weren't told it was bad, lol:rolleyes:, linked to lymphoma nearly 3 decades ago-->nothing since:rolleyes:, just aswell Shampoo Bottles tell ya not to drink it, coke better hurry up with their warning), some is from Monsantos own Lawyer speak Billion page reports
    All tests are provided to the US Government on GMO safety or performance by the companies themselves such as Monsanto.
    which people have went through and found flaws in even that data.

I'm off to release a nice breakfast Cereal (squeakys nuts) thats really just cow shite and chocolate. You seem to think it's OK for untested crap to be on sale before its proven to be safe.

No. People getting insurance against something they don't understand isn't evidence of anything.
    WTF again?! They're getting sued for having GM on their land that they didn't put their. I'd say they understand it alright.

GMO belongs in a Glasshouse in an underground bunker in the Atacama Desert as far as squeaky is concerned, it's doing way to much harm and it's touted benefits seem to be only getting further away.

Their'd be no need for it at all if powers that be did their job and started introducing measures to curb population growths. Patrick Moore was definitely on to something.

• Advertisement

His crop wasn't wiped out, read the wiki again: He testified that he then harvested that crop, saved it separately from his other harvest, and intentionally planted it in 1998.
    Again, I'm not saying I agree with Monsanto suing him, but if you want to know why he didn't sue them himself in the first place, you will need to ask himself yourself, because I don't know.
    My point is not to take the Wiki article as the bible. Quoting wiki is no way to win an argument.
    I accept the above as evidence of Monsanto being incredibly loose with litigation, I have no problem with that. I, however, wanted specific examples of Monsanto doing what Squeaky the Squirrel claimed (suing farmers simply because their crops where naturally contaminated with Monsanto seeds).
    The above is an example.
    I'm not disputing anything in that report, but just to point out that its not the US Centre for Food Safety, its the Centre for Food Safety. Its not a US governmental organisation (maybe you didn't mean this, but it looks implied by how its written), its a non-profit that promotes organic food and sustainable agriculture. You should expect, not be surprised by, reports on the actions of GM companies coming from it.
    If you find an error in their report, please let me know.
    :confused: What language?
    Dismissive language of those you don't agree with. No in-thread discussion of moderation.

My point is not to take the Wiki article as the bible. Quoting wiki is no way to win an argument.

And out of hand dismissing wiki is also no way to win an argument. If you have evidence that the wiki described the situation wrong (note that wiki takes the data straight from the US federal courts website) then present it.
    The above is an example.

The Percy Schmeiser case is not one of a farmer being sued simply because his crops were contaminated. He was sued because his crops were contaminated, he confirmed this, and then purposefully and specifically replanted the seeds of the contaminated crop. Do I agree with this? No, of course not. It is certainly a business practise of Monsanto's to be critical of and something that they shouldn't be allowed sue for. But it is not what Squeaky the Squirrel described.

Firstly, this article omits a key part of the text of the legislation:
    "Provided, That all such conditions shall be applicable only for the interim period necessary for the Secretary to complete any required analyses or consultations related to the petition for non-regulated status: Provided further, That nothing in this section shall be construed as limiting the Secretary’s authority under section 411, 412 and 414 of the Plant Protection Act. "
    I.e., the bit that does actually allow the government act on a crop if they decide there is a need to.

Secondly, article doesn't go through the text itself, it simply reports what these other groups say: "According to an array of food and consumer groups, organic farmers, civil liberty and trade unions and others,...".

Now, as to what it reports them saying: " It means, they say, that not even the US government can now stop the sale, planting, harvest or distribution of any GM seed, even if it is linked to illness or environmental problems." The problem here is firstly, they leave out what the US government can do if a link is found (most likely, these other groups are also ignoring the last few lines from section 735 as well), and secondly, what is meant by the word "linked"? Its possible, especially if you don't know anything about science, to find a "link" between nearly any food, or activity, and illnesses or environmental problems. The Daily Mail reports a different cancer causing food or activity every other day. What this legislation does it that it prevents action being taken against a crop that is simply "linked" to illness or environmental problems until the Agriculture Secretary reviews and assesses those links (if the guardian article didn't omit the last piece of text from section 735, they would have seen this). It's essentially an application of "innocent until proven guilty", and while I would not be against a tweak of the legislation allowing food on sale to be pulled if the link initially seems strong (just to be safe) I don't see much of an issue with it.

^^Squeakys ears nearly glazed over never mind his eyes.:pac:

His description of the law is wrong. Under the new law, if a crops regulated status (the status it gets if its already been approved) is found to have been improperly granted, likely because of bureaucratic reasons, then the crop is protected until those reasons are confirmed and assessed. If the crop's regulated status is found to have been improperly granted, because it turns out to be a biological pest, then it can still be acted upon according to the Plant Protection Act (this is what the last few lines of section 735, everything after "Provided, That all such", mean). It even states in the middle that the protection is only granted if its in agreement with the Plant Protection Act, "immediately grant temporary permit(s) or temporary deregulation in part, subject to necessary and appropriate conditions consistent with section 411(a) or 412(c) of the Plant Protection Act".

His points on the amount of Monsanto employees being recruited into governmental positions is more interesting. In general I would be supportive of more independent people in governmental positions.

I'm going to split the rest of your post into a different reply, to kept the posts from getting too long.

With all due respect to some retired plant scientist who wrote a letter, why should the USDA have acted on his advice? According to your links, he found a completely new pathogen that no one saw before, claims it was in animals with increased infertility rates, suffering spontaneous abortions and that it is more prevalent in GM crops. But where is the evidence? Where are the peer reviewed papers describing this pathogen's discover and identification, the double-blind, peer-reviewed studies showing a causal link between it and infertility/spontaneous abortions? Were is the peer-reviewed studies showing that the pathogen is prevalent only in GM crops/

If these tests and studies are prohibited, where do all the specific claims about the health risks of GMOs come from?
    While this is a very important issue (I'm not denying it happens and I'm all for independent research), it does call into question where all the specific negative health claims come from, if no negative research can be published.
    You seem to think it's OK for untested crap to be on sale before its proven to be safe.

Since when? Please point to where I said that.
    WTF again?! They're getting sued for having GM on their land that they didn't put their. I'd say they understand it alright.

No, they are getting insurance against simply having GM crop on their land they didn't plant there themselves. Still waiting for an example of someone getting sued just for having his/her crop contaminated.
    GMO belongs in a Glasshouse in an underground bunker in the Atacama Desert as far as squeaky is concerned, it's doing way to much harm and it's touted benefits seem to be only getting further away.

Everything is genetically modified, you are a GM version of your parents. Would want a big bunker.
    Their'd be no need for it at all if powers that be did their job and started introducing measures to curb population growths.

That may be true, but the fact is that we need high yield crops to grow enough food to feed everyone. And while I do support the notion of population control and reduction, I don't support accomplishing it by letting a lot of people starve.

http://gmoseralini.org/category/critics-answered/

^^Remember the French study with the Rats and the big tumors...

rats-scientific-study.jpg

the first to test the effects of eating a GM food and its associated pesticide over the animals' lifetime of two years (equivalent to about 9 years in a human), that everyone and their mother (within two hours of studys release) said was bull/flawed/wrong rat. Not so flawed after all...
    Monsanto's 90-day rat feeding study on this same GM maize had found differences in the GM-fed rats. But the EFSA claimed they were "of no biological significance" and agreed with Monsanto that the maize was as safe as non-GM maize. Séralini's team obtained Monsanto's raw data and re-analysed it. They found signs of liver and kidney toxicity in the GM-fed rats, publishing their findings in 2009.

Séralini carried out his recent study to follow up these initial findings of toxicity and to see if they were insignificant, as the EFSA claimed, or if they developed into serious disease. The findings were alarming. The initial signs of toxicity in Monsanto's 90-day study developed into full-blown liver and kidney damage over the longer two-year period. The first tumours only showed up four to seven months into the study, peaking at 18 months.

The common sense conclusions were clear. The 90-day tests routinely done on GM foods are simply too short to see effects that take time to show up, such as organ damage and cancer.
    Many of the critics were subsequently exposed as having commercial or career interests in GM technology – interests that went undisclosed in media articles that quoted them. The Science Media Centre itself has taken funding from GM and agrochemical companies. Government agencies that condemned the study, such as the EFSA, had been involved in GM crop approvals and so were simply defending their own decisions.

critics said Séralini used a strain of rat prone to tumours. But Séralini used the same strain of rat that Monsanto used in its 90-day study on this GM maize and its two-year cancer studies on glyphosate, the chemical ingredient in Roundup herbicide. And research shows that this strain of rat is about as prone to tumours as you and I, making it an excellent human-equivalent cancer model.
    None of the scientists claimed that Séralini's study is perfect. All studies have flaws and limitations. But many said that this was the most detailed study that had ever been done on the health effects of a GM food that's already in our food supply. The clear conclusion is that all GM crops and pesticide formulations must be tested in lifetime feeding studies to determine any health risks to humans.
    In the Atacama bunker...
    His description of the law is wrong....
    Anything to back up yours? If the plant was safe in the first place their would be no need for this.
    The rider states that the U.S. Department of Agriculture “shall, notwithstanding any other provisions of law, immediately grant temporary permits to continue using the [GE] seed at the request of a farmer or producer [Monsanto].” The bill effectively requires the USDA to give Monsanto a green light to promote GMO seeds.

Even if a court review determines that a GMO crop harms humans, Section 735 allows the seeds to be planted once the USDA approves them. Public health lawyer Michele Simon says the Senate bill requires the USDA to “ignore any court ruling that would otherwise halt the planting of new genetically-engineered crops.” (nydailynews.com, March 25)

The rider’s wording is so controversial that even USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack called on the Office of General Council to review it, noting, “It appears to pre-empt judicial review of a deregulatory action which may make the provision unenforceable.” (politico.com, March 25)

Prior to the bill’s passage, 13 new GMO seed crops awaited USDA authorization. Now these endorsements are almost certainly guaranteed, even though previous legal challenges overturned USDA sanctions of other GMO crops. No doubt Monsanto and other GMO companies will use the next six months to fast track their new seeds.
    You'd really have to wonder about these 13 that they need the law changed before they are released.:eek:

http://www.workers.org/2013/04/07/monsanto-protection-act-chemical-monopoly-writes-its-own-law/

His points on the amount of Monsanto employees being recruited into governmental positions is more interesting.
    That's only 2. More later...
    With all due respect to some retired plant scientist who wrote a letter, why should the USDA have acted on his advice? According to your links, he found a completely new pathogen that no one saw before, claims it was in animals with increased infertility rates, suffering spontaneous abortions and that it is more prevalent in GM crops. But where is the evidence? Where are the peer reviewed papers describing this pathogen's discover and identification, the double-blind, peer-reviewed studies showing a causal link between it and infertility/spontaneous abortions? Were is the peer-reviewed studies showing that the pathogen is prevalent only in GM crops/
    He says
    "We are informing the USDA of our findings at this early stage, specifically due to your pending decision regarding approval of alfalfa," Huber said. "Naturally, if either the Roundup Ready gene or Roundup itself is a promoter or co-factor of this pathogen, then such approval could be a calamity."
    assuming with his experience
    "For the past 40 years, I have been a scientist in the professional and military agencies that evaluate and prepare for natural and man-made biological threats, including germ warfare and disease outbreaks," Huber wrote in a Jan. 16 letter to Vilsack.

"Based on this experience, I believe the threat we are facing from this pathogen is unique and of a high risk status. In layman's terms, it should be treated as an emergency,"
    would make them take heed. They probably just wondered for awhile where they could spend that....and then realised they couldn't.

If these tests and studies are prohibited, where do all the specific claims about the health risks of GMOs come from?
    While this is a very important issue (I'm not denying it happens and I'm all for independent research), it does call into question where all the specific negative health claims come from, if no negative research can be published.
    No Federal Funding given and special permission needed to get a trial going in US...because of this. Some choose to ignore, like the french one above (and only a few hundred others, tiny considering how long this poisonous shite is out)

Still waiting for an example of someone getting sued just for having his/her crop contaminated.
    Wayhey!:D I was wondering why you kept on about this, nothings popping on first google,:confused:, Hmm, GM gene will be found in an entire crop with cross-tamination from the wind, accuse every little Farmer of deliberately sowing rather than accidental??
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:rai8ntyLFGcJ:www.centerforfoodsafety.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Monsanto-v-US-Farmer-2012-Update-final.pdf+&hl=en&gl=ie&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgsnt1kKAmF775NgzczWv8JZYa8WdIiodaQXlBZce5SmhTnT6W1I5H96Jqz-gwUJMbaduTQHQ8e-hjsOTt4KF0coQEh4YOmtSvsBabi0dVhvVxQI90TAsxl_I7SMZs8RNINMbxR&sig=AHIEtbRCGdmsVU66EcQt8CBCKWIlr9sChA
    That's alot of out of court settlements^^Farmer plays ball and gets to keep farm? Need to look at this more when it's not 5am.

Everything is genetically modified,
    Can't compare traditional crossbreeding with mixing of viral, bacterial and/or animal genes with plants--->which I'd have nothing against if it was in the bunker.

Actually on that,

Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
    Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
    Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
    Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
    Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
    Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
    Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
    Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)

^^How is that anyway clever, take Soy there at 94%, something unpredictable in one year could completely wipe it out, when we had ditches and different types/species at least their was a bit of protection.
    That may be true, but the fact is that we need high yield crops to grow enough food to feed everyone. And while I do support the notion of population control and reduction, I don't support accomplishing it by letting a lot of people starve.
    From Australian study linked in big PDF earlier in Thread, GM Yields are smaller than with conventional Seeds.

The Truth Is Out on GM Foods -And Its Not Pretty
    “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system.
    More and more doctors are already prescribing GM-free diets. Dr. Amy Dean, a Michigan internal medicine specialist, and board member of AAEM says, “I strongly recommend patients eat strictly non-genetically modified foods.”
    Biologist Pushpa M. Bhargava goes one step further. After reviewing more than 600 scientific journals, he concludes that genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are a major contributor to the sharply deteriorating health of Americans.
    in the first nine years after the large scale introduction of GM crops in 1996, the incidence of people with three or more chronic diseases nearly doubled, from 7% to 13%.
    9 Years you say...how long was the rats life equivalent again?

Monsanto’s Harvest of Fear

Pg5 of this^^, it's all worth a read though, on Human Growth Hormone in the US Milk and the measures Monsanto are going to to get labelling laws changed so people don't know which does/doesn't contain it.
    Today, nearly 15 years after the F.D.A. approved rBGH, there have still been no long-term studies “to determine the safety of milk from cows that receive artificial growth hormone,” says Michael Hansen, senior staff scientist for Consumers Union. Not only have there been no studies, he adds, but the data that does exist all comes from Monsanto. “There is no scientific consensus about the safety,” he says.
    Monsanto's Government Ties
    In order for the FDA to determine if Monsanto's growth hormones were safe or not, Monsanto was required to submit a scientific report on that topic. Margaret Miller, one of Monsanto's researchers put the report together. Shortly before the report submission, Miller left Monsanto and was hired by the FDA. Her first job for the FDA was to determine whether or not to approve the report she wrote for Monsanto. In short, Monsanto approved its own report.
    :eek::eek: You couldn't make this up!
    Monsanto began selling the supplement in 1994 under the name Posilac. Veterinary drug reports note that “cows injected with Posilac are at an increased risk for mastitis,” an udder infection in which bacteria and pus may be pumped out with the milk.
    UK is wasting some of the last effective Anti-Biotics we have treating Mastitis cuz of dirty cramped conditions.

I assume US is using it for same, cuz of added chemical, that if sales of non-HGH Milk are anything to go by, no one bloody wants.

abx_sales_infographic_2.jpg

Can I ask that you try to refrain from posting about every GM crop in existence? I've responded to everything here, but I want to avoid these posts getting too long. Also don't link to blogs or websites without references to the actual source data (preferably peer reviewed papers, if its a study being discussed)
    http://gmoseralini.org/category/critics-answered/

^^Remember the French study with the Rats and the big tumors...

rats-scientific-study.jpg

the first to test the effects of eating a GM food and its associated pesticide over the animals' lifetime of two years (equivalent to about 9 years in a human), that everyone and their mother (within two hours of studys release) said was bull/flawed/wrong rat. Not so flawed after all...

That would be the study where the author guy wont release the full details of the study or his full statistical analysis?
    The EFSA already re-evaluated and dismissed the study, noting that the author contradicted the conclusions of his own study in a general response he published.
    Now, I could do what you did and quote a wall of text from various references talking about how Séralini, long time anti-GM campaigner, co wrote the paper with a homeopath, heavily funded by anti-GM groups and organic farmers, released a book the same day and the study has been heavily discredited by academic groups from all over europe and russia (see here and here for examples).
    But really, that would be redundant. Séralini will not release the full details of his study. Therefore his study is scientifically invalid.
    Anything to back up yours?

Maybe try reading the paragraph you edited out :confused:
    You'd really have to wonder about these 13 that they need the law changed before they are released.:eek:

http://www.workers.org/2013/04/07/monsanto-protection-act-chemical-monopoly-writes-its-own-law/

You have to wonder at people who so poorly selectively quote laws. I mean, I know section 735 is in horrible legalese, but that doesn't mean you can just omit the words you don't understand. Your link is lying, those 13 crops which are waiting for approval are not helped by section 735 as section 735 only applies to crops which were already approved and have that approval subsequently called into question. Again, read the actual text of the law, this time the first sentence:
    "In the event that a determination of non-regulated status made pursuant to section 411 of the Plant Protection Act H. R. 933—35 is or has been invalidated or vacated..."
    He says
    assuming with his experience

would make them take heed. They probably just wondered for awhile where they could spend that....and then realised they couldn't.

His experience is irrelevant without peer reviewed data.
    No Federal Funding given and special permission needed to get a trial going in US...because of this. Some choose to ignore, like the french one above (and only a few hundred others, tiny considering how long this poisonous shite is out)

Why would a French study need to ignore an American law?
    Wayhey!:D I was wondering why you kept on about this, nothings popping on first google,:confused:, Hmm, GM gene will be found in an entire crop with cross-tamination from the wind, accuse every little Farmer of deliberately sowing rather than accidental??
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:rai8ntyLFGcJ:www.centerforfoodsafety.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Monsanto-v-US-Farmer-2012-Update-final.pdf+&hl=en&gl=ie&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgsnt1kKAmF775NgzczWv8JZYa8WdIiodaQXlBZce5SmhTnT6W1I5H96Jqz-gwUJMbaduTQHQ8e-hjsOTt4KF0coQEh4YOmtSvsBabi0dVhvVxQI90TAsxl_I7SMZs8RNINMbxR&sig=AHIEtbRCGdmsVU66EcQt8CBCKWIlr9sChA
    That's alot of out of court settlements^^Farmer plays ball and gets to keep farm? Need to look at this more when it's not 5am.

I am not doing your work for you. That document from the centre for food safety (Macha already linked to the latest version btw, glad to see you are paying attention :rolleyes:) references lawsuits, but where in it does it specifically reference someone who was sued just because their crops were contaminated? Give me a name.
    Can't compare traditional crossbreeding with mixing of viral, bacterial and/or animal genes with plants--->which I'd have nothing against if it was in the bunker.

Why not, its all chemicals? What about mixing plant genes with plants?
    Actually on that,

Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
    Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
    Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
    Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
    Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
    Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
    Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
    Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)

^^How is that anyway clever, take Soy there at 94%, something unpredictable in one year could completely wipe it out, when we had ditches and different types/species at least their was a bit of protection.

Is all GM Soy the same species of GM soy? How many alternatives were there before GM?
    From Australian study linked in big PDF earlier in Thread, GM Yields are smaller than with conventional Seeds.

Remind me, which study?
    The Truth Is Out on GM Foods -And Its Not Pretty

9 Years you say...how long was the rats life equivalent again?

The only source for that ... blog post is a link which doesn't work. Do you have a source for the increase in chronic illnesses over 9 years?
    Monsanto’s Harvest of Fear

Pg5 of this^^, it's all worth a read though, on Human Growth Hormone in the US Milk and the measures Monsanto are going to to get labelling laws changed so people don't know which does/doesn't contain it.

Monsanto's Government Ties

:eek::eek: You couldn't make this up!

Monsantos business plans are a side issue to GM foods in general, and section 735, which brought me into this thread. Can we discuss it after we finish with section 735, even just to keep the posts shorter?
    (For the record, as a vegetarian I want all food fully labelled, as I don't want to be fooled into eating animal bits or crushed bugs, gm or otherwise.
    UK is wasting some of the last effective Anti-Biotics we have treating Mastitis cuz of dirty cramped conditions.

I assume US is using it for same, cuz of added chemical, that if sales of non-HGH Milk are anything to go by, no one bloody wants.

Do you have a source which links MRSA in milk to Monsantos suppliment (ie, a study)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Can I ask that you try to refrain from posting about every GM crop in existence?
    [MOD] Indeed. Squeaky the Squirrel, walls of text and images are not conducive to a flowing discussion. Please try and keep your post to the point. [/MOD]

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

From a very quick skim through this Thread, here are some reports and studys that should be of interest with some of the Topics I noticed.

GMO MYTHS AND TRUTHS REPORT

Menu down the side, clean read.

Roundup and birth defects: Is the public being kept in the dark?

Contents and summary at beginning, recommendations at the end.

Organic pollutants poison the roof of the world

Global Burden of Disease Study 2010

Cancer is a Preventable Disease that Requires Major Lifestyle Changes

Iraq law Requires Seed Licenses (This is an old one, I am actually surprised links still work.)

Alot of bleating on about Peer reviewed studies in this Thread.

I suppose it's the best we've got (for now) but they are far from be all and end all.

http://retractionwatch.wordpress.com/

lately, if you've enough money, it seems like you can get one to say whatever you want.

• Advertisement

From a very quick skim through this Thread, here are some reports and studys that should be of interest with some of the Topics I noticed.

GMO MYTHS AND TRUTHS REPORT

Menu down the side, clean read.

Roundup and birth defects: Is the public being kept in the dark?

Contents and summary at beginning, recommendations at the end.

Organic pollutants poison the roof of the world

Global Burden of Disease Study 2010

Cancer is a Preventable Disease that Requires Major Lifestyle Changes

Iraq law Requires Seed Licenses (This is an old one, I am actually surprised links still work.)
    You think you could give us the gist of all that?
    lately, if you've enough money, it seems like you can get one to say whatever you want.
    Well, no, you can't and even if you could get a paper to say "whatever you want", it will very quickly be discredited.

djpbarry wrote: »
    You think you could give us the gist of all that?
    Of which? All of them?:confused: The gist is in a couple of paragraphs in all of them? Anyone interested in the Thread will have a look, my quoting or dumbing down 10 sentences to 5 won't add much to it?
    Well, no, you can't and even if you could get a paper to say "whatever you want", it will very quickly be discredited.
    No they won't. It took 6 and a half years for this study (easier read) suggesting that two blood pressure drugs taken in combination were more effective than one, to be pulled due to "serious concerns" on it's findings.

But not before their was over 100,000 people taking it.

Funded and Conducted by the drug company.

This guy now has 54 studies pulled, going back years and cited in others that'll probably have to be pulled. And it was a student that picked up on it, not one of the experts giving it the go ahead to be published.

Retractions in the scientific literature: is the incidence of research fraud increasing?

Theirs a letter to one of the news sites, (I can't bloody find it now) from a doctor that was looking for a new treatment for a patient and after reading the literature and going over it with the patient decided to try some new drug.

After a few weeks with no improvement the doc went looking again, turned out their had been several other trials with this drug showing it didn't work conducted before the widely released one that sung it's praises.

As long as getting these studies published is driven by money and a chair this fraud is going to increase.

So as I say, best we have, for now.

Of which? All of them?
    Yes please. What point were you trying to make by posting those six links?
    No they won't. It took 6 and a half years for this study (easier read) suggesting that two blood pressure drugs taken in combination were more effective than one, to be pulled due to "serious concerns" on it's findings.
    The Lancet article you've linked to was published in January 2011? That's less than six and a half years ago. But anyway, I said "discredited", not "retracted" - there's a big difference. For example, you recall the MMR vaccine controversy? The original paper was published (also in The Lancet) in 1998 and almost immediately attracted criticism, but it wasn't fully retracted by The Lancet until 2010.
    As long as getting these studies published is driven by money and a chair this fraud is going to increase.
    The very fact that you're aware of the existence of fraudsters is evidence that science succeeds in weeding them out.

What point were you trying to make by posting those six links?
    Yea, back on pg1 their was a back and forth about diseases/people are living longer and healthier-->Disease Study.

Someone else said GM will feed the world
    “If anyone tells you that GM is going to feed the world, tell them that it is not… To feed the world takes political and financial will.”
    – Steve Smith, head of GM company Novartis Seeds UK (now Syngenta), public meeting on proposed local GM farm scale trial, Tittleshall, Norfolk, UK, 29 March 2000
    Without GM, which has only barely beaten conventional Crops in a few Markets at a higher cost, we can feed 12 Billion People up to 2,700 Calories a day. Everyone can be fat!

http://repository.forcedmigration.org/pdf/?pid=fmo:5322

USDA Looks to Approve Monsanto's Drought-Tolerant Corn
    While the agency's draft environmental assessment of the modified corn found the crop unlikely to pose a plant pest risk, prompting USDA to seek deregulation, the agency also noted that many corn varieties on the market match Monsanto's strain in their water use.

"The reduced yield [trait] does not exceed the natural variation observed in regionally-adapted varieties of conventional corn," the report says, adding that "Equally comparable varieties produced through conventional breeding techniques are readily available in irrigated corn production regions."
    ^^After yearssss of work. No better than what Farmers were already using.

Someone else said GM was the same as Conventional breeding, it's not, far from it.

I remember reading a hypothetical a few years back, 7 years, on the GM Bt Types, the ones that produce their own pesticides (I really don't know how someone thought that was a good idea...money) that people could end up with a Bacteria in their Gut producing pesticide 24/7. Scary stuff. Released on a 90 day trial saying
    active only against particular insects and should have no effect on mammals and humans at all
    New study last year shows just one toxin in a plant, thought apparently one plant can have many toxins, causes kidney cell death invitro in 24 hours.

And then theirs the Pesticide link detailing how the EU after getting the latest peer reviewed studies showing Roundups links to malformations in frogs/chickens, endocrine disruption, damage to DNA, reproductive and developmental toxicity, neurotoxicity, and cancer at doses much lower than in Agricultural or garden spraying immediately put back a planned review and due to the slowness in preparing the data requirements for new regulation mean that it may well not be re-assessed by up to date practices until 2030.

50 years after it was first linked to cancer. God it's pathetic. Money.
    The Lancet article you've linked to was published in January 2011? That's less than six and a half years ago.
    Yea, here she is, I linked the wrong one. Sorry bout that.

But anyway, I said "discredited", not "retracted" - there's a big difference. For example, you recall the MMR vaccine controversy? The original paper was published (also in The Lancet) in 1998 and almost immediately attracted criticism, but it wasn't fully retracted by The Lancet until 2010.
    yea, I see what your saying.

That one though stood on alot of toes straight away as it contradicted a lot of previous scientists/work.

Whats bugging me is these expert reviewers are obviously just skimming this studies as it's people well down the chain picking up on all these errors.

Here is a journal with it's second retraction in as many years in a 38 year history without one. Sign of the times?

Stop picking on the lancet!:p

The very fact that you're aware of the existence of fraudsters is evidence that science succeeds in weeding them out.
    http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/business-of-orthopedics/news/print/orthopedics-today/%7B31537EBC-85E1-4392-AF5D-C2AAC169FD80%7D/Scientific-journals-retract-more-articles-expose-fraud-and-incompetence

Thats a good little read on the subject.

I haven't eaten a Bachelors Bean in years.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

New Conventional (non GM) Wheat variety, crossing Goat Grass (Weed) and Modern Pasta Wheat has provided a plant that yields 30% more than current cultivated wheat. As well as added disease and pest resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

Will that new wheat be patented?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

A new documentary on GM...

zenno wrote: »
    The world's leading Scientists, Physicians, Attorneys, Politicians and Environmental Activists expose the corruption and dangers surrounding the widespread use of Genetically Modified Organisms in the new feature length documentary, "Seeds of Death: Unveiling the Lies of GMOs".

Did you watch it yet? What did you think? Little bit long but I'll get to it at some stage.

Donalde wrote: »
    Will that new wheat be patented?
    I don't know, I'll check some night I'm at nothing, I suppose they have no choice though, if they don't someone else will. The way things are with patents at the minute (disgrace), they better do it before it's released aswell. People are trying to patent maths, code, companies have patented entire sections of your Genes.:mad::confused::eek:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/04/myriad-genetics-patent-genes.html
    And yet, nearly twenty per cent of the genome—more than four thousand genes—are already covered by at least one U.S. patent. These include genes for Alzheimer’s disease, colon cancer, asthma, and two in particular—BRCA1 and BRCA2—that are highly associated with breast cancer. Myriad Genetics, a company that specializes in molecular diagnostics, holds the rights to those two genes. Anyone conducting an experiment on them without a license can be sued for infringement of patent rights. This means that Myriad can decide what research is carried out on those genes, who can do that research, and how much any resulting therapy or diagnostic test will cost. The same holds true for other genes and for any pharmaceutical company, scientist, or university that holds patents similar to those held by Myriad.
    Should never have been allowed as far as I'm concerned. It says in the Article in was due back in Court on ANOTHER appeal April 15 but that's been put back till the summer. Can't find link that says that at the min...but it was anyway.

2012 in Review: Patents Hinder Innovation, But Hope for Reform Exists

• Advertisement

zenno wrote: »
    [MOD] What about it? Is it good/bad/indifferent? If so, why? What are the fundamental arguments put forward and do you agree with them? If so/not, why?

As per the charter, please do not simply post a link to a video without providing some kind of explanation of the content.[/MOD]

Advertisement