Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could Monsanto Destroy Irelands Farmers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I want to add a point on "Generally Regarded as Safe" - a topic I remembered last night that's worth mentioning. It reveals the level of influence GM corps. had on govt. policy in the USA
    I'd better offer a link to avoid accusations of innuendo and half-truths (is that a euphemism for lying?)

Extract from here but other references also available online.

"So GMOs could theoretically be unsafe to eat. What does science tell us about the matter? Unfortunately, not much. Back in 1992, before the first GM seed had been commercially planted, the FDA declared GM foods to be “generally regarded as safe” — despite a complete absence of rigorous testing. And that meant that safety testing is completely unnecessary if, say, Monsanto wants to bring a novel crop to market. In a peer-reviewed 2004 paper [PDF] — which remains an extremely useful primer on regulation of GM crops — William Freese and David Shubert show that the FDA made the “generally regarded as safe” decision over the objections of several agency scientists, who saw significant potential for harm. Moreover, when the agency rubber-stamps the introduction of a GM crop into the food supply, it does so using extremely non-committal language. "

It's worth reading the complete article.

Oh, and then there's the saga of Monsanto's bovine growth hormone. That's a GMO too. Not only did they successfully lobby to have that approved against strong opposition they even quashed any requirement for consumer label referring to it on milk labels. Can I really be blamed for any cynicism?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

In a peer-reviewed 2004 paper [PDF] — which remains an extremely useful primer on regulation of GM crops — William Freese and David Shubert show that the FDA made the “generally regarded as safe” decision over the objections of several agency scientists, who saw significant potential for harm.
    Have those scientists since published their findings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

djpbarry wrote: »
    Genetic modification is used extensively in scientific research, if that's what you mean. Cancer research, for example, would not be where it is today without GM technology.
    Source?
    Because there is no evidence to suggest that it is.
    And now what? Tabloid journalism?
    I'm pretty sure every Article I linked to lists their source (I tried to find ones that did) so if you want to read the overly-long overly-complicated reports, look them up yourself. They'll just say the same thing. This "tabloid Dailymail rabble rabble" of yours is boring tiring pointless<-->pick one. I had two links for that but you chose to link to just the paper one to throw in your rabble.

You’re telling me there’s a link between mobile phone use and brain tumours because one guy, who happened to be a heavy mobile-phone user, developed a tumour? Seriously?
    No, the Italian supreme court with evidence from Respected Oncologists and Neuroseurgeons is telling you that.

The possible Class Action from it tells you it's many (more than one) I assume you knew that...or you really have had your head in the dirt for a long time. Are You even reading these Articles??
    How many heavy mobile phone users have not developed brain tumours? The overwhelming majority perhaps?
    Do you not know that Tumours due to radiation may not appear for 15 years, very difficult to connect back and that in 4 to 5% of Cancer patients (10,000 of thousands in the US alone) the primary tumor is never found so even a bowel/liver/whatever cancer could be a result of a metastasise from a brain tumour caused from cell phones.

Cancer of unknown primary origin (CUP), look it up.

And actually, it's irrelevant how many have not developed it, once some have, it's a problem.
    It is not known what, if any, harm the chemicals might cause...
    I can only take from this that you think pesticides running through your body are no harm because you never read/were told otherwise? OK then.

I think you need to put down The Telegraph now.
    As above.

Because there is no evidence linking GM foods with obesity.
    Well you see that's the thing, their is

http://www.globalresearch.ca/does-genetically-modified-gm-food-increase-the-incidence-of-obesity/29869

You seriously never wondered why they have such high BMI over there? People need to open their eyes and look at all the knock on effects of this.

I’m already reading plenty of sensationalist nonsense about GM, so I won’t be at all surprised if I see more in the future.
    Open your eyes.

Are you even reading these articles?
    One of us is.

What are you talking about? Based on that plot, women of child-bearing age are extremely unlikely to be diagnosed with cancer.
    But alot more likely than men in that group...why? Can you reply without the smart arse undertones?
    Have those scientists since published their findings?
    I don't know. I may check, Industry backed bodies making their life miserable as a result is a good deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Genetic modification is used extensively in scientific research, if that's what you mean. Cancer research, for example, would not be where it is today without GM technology.
    Source?

@Rucking Fetard, if you didn't already know that this was the case then you should have read up on it instead of displaying your ignorance of the topic you're attempting to discuss for all to see.

GM is used extensively in scientific research of many kinds, as well as in the pharmaceutical industry to produce things like vaccines, for example. AFAIK (my area is chemistry so I'm not an expert, but this is my understanding of it), most vaccines are produced by implanting a gene into a host cell's DNA which is then is expressed, and causes the cell to produce the protein (antibody) you want in the vaccine.

The Chinese Hamster Ovary cell line is used frequently for this.

It's far too easy to be over sceptical of genuine scientific research if you don't understand what is actually going on. I can't say for certain that GM foods are perfectly safe, but the science behind what much of the nay-sayers put out is not robust, from what I've seen.

Equally, I'm not beyond believing that over-use of mobile phones could cause cancer, but I'd need more than a newspaper article to convince me.

Source?
    Source for what? That GM is used extensively in scientific research? Well, take molecular cloning for example, a standard technique in biology labs - that's a form of genetic modification.
    No, the Italian supreme court with evidence from Respected Oncologists and Neuroseurgeons is telling you that.
    And where is the scientific evidence in support of their decision? I’ll give you a clue – there is none:
    http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100517/full/news.2010.246.html
    And actually, it's irrelevant how many have not developed it...
    Scientifically speaking, it’s highly relevant. Hypothetical experiment: If 1,000 people use a mobile phone for 6 hours per day for 20 years and only one of them develops a tumour, that’s not a terribly convincing case for “mobile phones cause cancer”, is it? Especially if we had a second group of 1,000 people, none of whom were using mobile phones, and one of them developed a tumour too.
    I can only take from this that you think pesticides running through your body are no harm because you never read/were told otherwise?
    Pretty much. I don’t know about you, but I tend to base my opinions on evidence.
    The paper on which that article is supposedly based does not even mention the word “obesity”:
    http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.pdf
    You seriously never wondered why they have such high BMI over there?
    If someone is overweight, I’d bet my house that it’s a result of them eating too much and exercising too little.
    But alot more likely than men in that group...why?
    You want to know what I conclude from the graph? Women are more likely to present for cancer screening earlier in their lives than men.
    I don't know. I may check, Industry backed bodies making their life miserable as a result is a good deterrent.
    So that’s a ‘no’ then?

• Advertisement

@Rucking Fetard, if you didn't already know that this was the case then you should have read up on it instead of displaying your ignorance of the topic you're attempting to discuss for all to see.
    Have to list sources OS, thanks for this ^^^.:cool:
    And where is the scientific evidence in support of their decision? I’ll give you a clue – there is none:
    http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100517/full/news.2010.246.html
    This is 30 months old. Part funded by mobile phone companys.

Theirs actually a video about it because it's so flawed.

The paper on which that article is supposedly based does not even mention the word “obesity”:
    http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.pdf
    Crude and relative liver weights are also affected at the end of the maximal (33%) GM maize feeding level as well as that of the heart which for corresponding parameters to a comparable extent, showed up to an 11% weight increase.
    Additional statistically significant differences include … higher … overall body (3.7%) weight …
    Several parameters indicate increases in circulating glucose and triglyceride levels, with liver function parameters disrupted together with a slight increase in total body weight. This physiological state is indicative of a pre-diabetic profile.
    Our data strongly suggests that these GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal [i.e. kidney and liver] toxicity.
    This can be due to the new pesticides (herbicide or insecticide) present specifically in each type of GM maize, although unintended metabolic effects due to the mutagenic properties of the GM transformation process cannot be excluded [Remember that some GM crops are engineered to have the plants produce their own pesticides, some pesticides can cause obesity, and the pesticides are not magically destroyed before making it into our bloodstream]. All three GM maize varieties contain a distinctly different pesticide residue associated with their particular GM event (glyphosate and AMPA in NK 603, modified Cry1Ab in MON 810, modified Cry3Bb1 in MON 863). These substances have never before been an integral part of the human or animal diet and therefore their health consequences for those who consume them, especially over long time periods are currently unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Scientists Under Attack: Genetic Engineering in the Magnetic Field of Money is a 60 minute, award winning film by Bertram Verhaag about GMOs and the need for the independence of science.

Nearly 95% of genetic engineering research is paid for and controlled by international corporations such as Monsanto. This film exposes how these globalist companies manipulate and suppress scientific research to hide the dangers of genetically altered plants and animals.

Using stunning visuals filmed on three continents, veteran German filmmaker Bertram Verhaag tracks the fate of two scientists at the hands of a multi-billion dollar industry that is desperate to hide the dangers of their genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

When scientist Arpad Pusztai reported that genetically modified (GM) foods caused serious health problems in rats, he was a hero at his prestigious UK institute--for two days. But after two phone calls (apparently) from the Prime Minister's office, he was fired, gagged and mercilessly attacked.

When UC Berkeley professor Ignacio Chapela discovered GM corn contamination in Mexico, he too faced a firestorm of distortion and denial that left him struggling to salvage his career.

Find out how the biotech industry "engineers" the truth and what they are trying to hide from you. Their stories not only illustrate the danger of corporate control of scientific research, but also the serious risks of the new generation of gene-spliced food and crops.

EDIT: this is the full version. For anyone that watched this already the end was missing as i only realized this now so this one is the full version, sorry about that.

This is 30 months old.
    Oh I'm sorry - I didn't realise science had an expiry date.

You might be interested to know that the study on which the Italian courts based their decision is several years older.
    Theirs actually a video about it because it's so flawed.
    I'm pretty sure I could find a video on YouTube about pretty much anything if I searched long enough.
    zenno wrote: »
    When scientist Arpad Pusztai reported that genetically modified (GM) foods caused serious health problems in rats, he was a hero at his prestigious UK institute...
    That's not at all how I remember it.

Have to list sources OS, thanks for this ^^^.:cool:

It's not my job to educate you. It is your choice to continue to produce opinions on subjects you don't understand very well.

Also, that video is silly.

Oh I'm sorry - I didn't realise science had an expiry date.

You might be interested to know that the study on which the Italian courts based their decision is several years older.
    Expiry date? Sure it does.

When it's a flawed Industry funded study...("skewed" to use the words from your own link), I'm not sure it was ever in date.

Data from Interphone study (your link) was gathered between 1999-2004.

The Italian one was 2005-2009, "several years" newer in fact and Independent.

And both are older than the one linked earlier and all (even your cellphone funded one) raise concerns about length of time spent using wireless devices, especially for kids.

Sooo, safer than having pesticides running through your body?
    See if you can find the word "cancer".

That's not at all how I remember it.
    OOh cryptic, Tell me more.

I want to add a point on "Generally Regarded as Safe" - a topic I remembered last night that's worth mentioning. It reveals the level of influence GM corps. had on govt. policy in the USA
    I'd better offer a link to avoid accusations of innuendo and half-truths (is that a euphemism for lying?)

Extract from here but other references also available online.

"So GMOs could theoretically be unsafe to eat. What does science tell us about the matter? Unfortunately, not much. Back in 1992, before the first GM seed had been commercially planted, the FDA declared GM foods to be “generally regarded as safe” — despite a complete absence of rigorous testing. And that meant that safety testing is completely unnecessary if, say, Monsanto wants to bring a novel crop to market. In a peer-reviewed 2004 paper [PDF] — which remains an extremely useful primer on regulation of GM crops — William Freese and David Shubert show that the FDA made the “generally regarded as safe” decision over the objections of several agency scientists, who saw significant potential for harm. Moreover, when the agency rubber-stamps the introduction of a GM crop into the food supply, it does so using extremely non-committal language. "

It's worth reading the complete article.

Oh, and then there's the saga of Monsanto's bovine growth hormone. That's a GMO too. Not only did they successfully lobby to have that approved against strong opposition they even quashed any requirement for consumer label referring to it on milk labels. Can I really be blamed for any cynicism?
    Only skimmed it but good/depressing read,
    This supposition is strengthened by reports concerning independent
    researchers who have been denied GE crop material by companies, or whose access to such material is strictly conditioned (Dalton 2002). Thus, the validity of a claim that GE crop X is safe depends almost
    exclusively upon the quality of both the relevant corporate science and the regulatory approval process.

Here, we will undertake a science-based critique of corporate scientific practices and the US regulatory
    system with respect to GE foods,

Regulation of genetically engineered foods is divided among three federal agencies. The breakdown of
    regulatory responsibility is as follows:
    * The US Department of Agriculture oversees GE crop field trials and is responsible for deregulating
    (i.e. permitting the unregulated cultivation and sale of) GE crops.
    * The Environmental Protection Agency has jurisdiction over the pesticides in GE pesticidal plants, and
    has joint responsibility with the Food and Drug Administration for selectable marker genes and
    proteins used in crop development; and
    * The Food and Drug Administration conducts voluntary consultations on other aspects of GE foods
    with those companies that choose to consult with it.

However, USDA’s recent admission that there have been 115 compliance
    infractions by GE crop field trial operators raises serious doubts as to the efficacy of its regulation (USDA
    Compliance 2003). Two contamination episodes involving field trials of biopharmaceutical corn in the
    fall of 2002 highlight the inadequacy of USDA’s oversight in this regard (Ferber 2003).

However, the EPA has failed to establish data requirements specific to plant
    pesticides (EPA PIP, 2001). In the meantime, the Agency has referred developers of GE pesticideproducing
    crops to a nearly decade-old guidance (EPA Statement of Policy 1994). This Statement of
    Policy devotes just 4 short paragraphs to testing for human health effects. The Agency recommends only
    that companies conduct short-term oral toxicity tests in rodents and in vitro digestibility tests on the plant
    pesticide, without any guidance on or specification of test conditions.

Food additives must
    undergo extensive pre-market safety testing, including long-term animal studies, unless they are deemed
    to be “generally recognized as safe” (GRAS). The FDA has left it up to the biotech industry to decide
    whether or not a transgenic protein is GRAS, and so exempt from testing (FDA Policy, 1992).

This blanket GRAS exemption is based on the notion of “substantial equivalence” – the strong, a priori
    presumption that GE crops are largely the same as their conventional counterparts.

FDA scientists at the
    Division of Food Chemistry and Technology and the Division of Contaminants Chemistry called for
    mandatory review,

Administrative superiors at the FDA and the White House apparently did not heed these concerns,

resulting in today’s voluntary consultation process.

The review process outlined above makes it clear that, contrary to popular belief, the FDA has not
    formally approved a single GE crop as safe for human consumption.

SURROGATE PROTEINS
    Biotechnology companies rarely test the transgenic protein actually produced in their engineered crops.
    Instead, for testing purposes they make use of a bacterially generated surrogate protein that may differ in
    important respects from the plant-produced one. The same genetic construct used to transform the plant
    is expressed in bacteria (usually E. coli), and the surrogate transgenic protein is then extracted from the
    bacteria. This surrogate protein is then employed for all subsequent testing, such as short-term animal
    feeding studies and allergenicity assessments. This is, however, a serious mistake in testing paradigms,
    since plants and bacteria are very likely to produce different proteins even when transformed with the
    same gene
    (for discussion, see Schubert, 2002).

You're Appointing Who? Please Obama, Say It's Not So!

It's not my job to educate you. It is your choice to continue to produce opinions on subjects you don't understand very well.
    Never asked you to, read the charter before you post again maybe.

Also, that video is silly.
    why?

• Advertisement

Never asked you to, read the charter before you post again maybe.
    [MOD] Less of the back-seat modding please. [/MOD]

Expiry date? Sure it does.
    No, it doesn’t.
    When it's a flawed Industry funded study...("skewed" to use the words from your own link), I'm not sure it was ever in date.
    Care to point out some of these flaws?
    The Italian one was 2005-2009, "several years" newer in fact and Independent.
    Define “independent”.
    Sooo, safer than having pesticides running through your body?
    See if you can find the word "cancer".
    I’ve no idea what you’re trying to draw my attention to here.
    OOh cryptic, Tell me more.
    He wasn’t branded a hero by any stretch. He was immediately pulled from any more media appearances by the institute director.

He was immediately pulled from any more media appearances by the institute director.
    http://www.energygrid.com/ecology/2002/10jm-pusztai.html
    He was dismissed for incompetence as part of a disinformation campaign by the influential pro-GM lobby, which was quick to trade the longstanding reputation of a top-level scientist (with a brilliant 36-year career) for continued public ignorance of the potential dangers of GM foods and GM research. They did this by portraying Pusztai as a doddery old fool who had made a mistake with his research by using potatoes, not modified with the non-toxic snowdrop lectin, but with the very toxic Concanavalin A (Con A) lectin. Pusztai's results, therefore, would imply nothing about the safety of genetic engineering, only his own incompetance, which would justify him being "retired".

This smear campaign, led not only by companies like Monsanto but also the director of the Rowett Research Institute himself, Professor Philip James, was effective. Pusztai was discredited and ridiculed by government scientists and newspapers alike, bringing an ignoble end to an illustrious scientific career. And because he was still under contract with the institute, he was effectively gagged and thus prevented from defending himself. The two-faced James would say publicly, "I am desperate to protect him [Pusztai]" whilst privately threatening him with court action if he spoke to the press.

In the end, a scientific audit committee vindicated Pusztai's work — it confirmed that he had been working with the snowdrop lectin and not the toxic Con A lectin, although it stopped short at agreeing with Pusztai's conclusions. (Quite what other conclusions can be drawn from Pusztai's research is a complete mystery! In fact, the committee didn't make a single recommendation on how he could have improved his experimentation, except to nebulously state that it could have been better designed.) Finally, in February 1999, a 20-member international panel of scientists publicly went on record to support Pusztai's research. But by this time it was too late. The disinformation campaign left enough lingering doubts in the public's mind to dilute the biting implications of Pusztai's ground-breaking research.
    http://www.sciencemag.org/content/283/5405/1094

The new PCB: Monsanto's Roundup weed killer turning up in air, rain and rivers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Thanks, very interesting - and worrying - article. More detail on the earlier points re. "Generally Regarded As Safe" and bovine growth hormone.

It also details another revolving door between big corporations and government:

"[Michael Taylor] had been Monsanto's attorney before becoming policy chief at the FDA. Soon after, he became Monsanto's vice president and chief lobbyist. This month [June 2009] Michael Taylor became the senior advisor to the commissioner of the FDA. He is now America's food safety czar. What have we done?
    While Taylor was at the FDA in the early 90's, he also oversaw the policy regarding Monsanto's GM bovine growth hormone (rbGH/rbST) -- injected into cows to increase milk supply."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I read about that lad alright. Am i still naieve for being suspicious? Honestly, some people here on boards must be solicitors!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I don't really have an opinion on Monsanto and Irish farmers (I really don't have enough information to form one), but I used to work with GM plants (not intended to be released into the open, but for glasshouse production of recombinant protein, and not a food crop) and I noticed that a lot of the conferences I attended were sponsored by Monsanto or Syngenta or the likes. I always wondered if researchers came up with some anti-GM crop research, would they be allowed to present their findings.

I suppose that really wouldn't happen anyway because 1) it's really hard to get grants these days and no scientist wants to do research that could potentially put themselves out of a job by showing GM to be unsafe, and 2) no one gives money to do research for research's sake anymore. If you apply to the likes of the HRB or SFI, it's all about having some sort of medical or commercial application of what you're applying for. It's REALLY hard to get money for proof of concept experiments; it's all about focussing on getting a return on an investment (however hypothetical).

As you can imagine from my background, I'm not anti-GM but I am very pro-GM-control. I think it's easier than we (as scientists) ever realised to have escapes into the wild type population (for example, plastid transformation was lorded over nuclear tranformation as being 100% safe because the transgenes could not be passed on in pollen, but recent papers by Pal Maliga of Rutgers University - the man considered as the "father" of plastid transformation in higher plants - show that this is not the case, but it took around 15 years from the first use of the technology before this was discovered).

Pharma companies take 10-20 years to bring a drug to market. GM recombinant proteins will undergo the same rigorous testing. The way I see it, GM food crops should be the same.
    SURROGATE PROTEINS
    Biotechnology companies rarely test the transgenic protein actually produced in their engineered crops.
    Instead, for testing purposes they make use of a bacterially generated surrogate protein that may differ in
    important respects from the plant-produced one. The same genetic construct used to transform the plant
    is expressed in bacteria (usually E. coli), and the surrogate transgenic protein is then extracted from the
    bacteria. This surrogate protein is then employed for all subsequent testing, such as short-term animal
    feeding studies and allergenicity assessments. This is, however, a serious mistake in testing paradigms,
    since plants and bacteria are very likely to produce different proteins even when transformed with the
    same gene (for discussion, see Schubert, 2002).

This part isn't really true any more. In fact, a LOT of focus over the last ten years has gone into looking at protein extraction methods for various plant species. The fact is, it's really easy to extract protein (even specific ones) from bacterial cultures. There are TONNES of protocols and it's easy to scale the process up to get LOTS of protein (you need a lot to do all your analysis). It's significantly harder to extract specific proteins from plant cells. There are a lot of problems wrt removing the cell wall, and that's before you consider that some proteins are pretty "sticky" (i.e. they like to latch onto membranes and organelles) and tough to get out. Then you also have the issue that it's a lot harder to scale up the amount of plant tissue you have available to you. For bacteria you can grow your cultures overnight and have a significant amount to work with, but for plants you may have to wait two months for them to have sufficient biomass, and you also have to take into account that glasshouse and tissue culture space in research facilities is precious; there simply isn't space to grow as many plants as you want. So this point is more from a practicality point of view, rather than companies being too lazy or evil to test with the correct protein and it's something that is improving every year. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but often, especially ten years ago, it simply wasn't possible to get enough protein out of plants to test with.

Vojera wrote: »
    I suppose that really wouldn't happen anyway because 1) it's really hard to get grants these days and no scientist wants to do research that could potentially put themselves out of a job by showing GM to be unsafe...
    It's extremely unlikely that anyone is going to show that all GM foods are unsafe.

It's extremely unlikely that anyone is going to show that all GM foods are unsafe.

Such an experiment could never take place, there are too many permutations and new crops being developed. But one GM-isn't-safe result would have a wide impact on public perception.

But one GM-isn't-safe result would have a wide impact on public perception.
    Sure - we've seen that already:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19654825

But we see knee-jerk reactions to lots of things, be they GM crops, nuclear power or drug side-effects. I don’t think it’s correct to say that this dictates who gets science funding and who doesn’t.

The point to all this, as you allude to, is there is a difference between the scientific fundamentals and how the technology is put into practice in industry – being critical of the latter does not necessitate being opposed to the former.

• Advertisement

Sure - we've seen that already:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19654825

But we see knee-jerk reactions to lots of things, be they GM crops, nuclear power or drug side-effects. I don’t think it’s correct to say that this dictates who gets science funding and who doesn’t.

The point to all this, as you allude to, is there is a difference between the scientific fundamentals and how the technology is put into practice in industry – being critical of the latter does not necessitate being opposed to the former.

I wouldn't say public opinion has no effect on where funding goes. For governmental agencies at least, they have to be seen to spend taxpayers' money on "relevant" research. If there was significant public outcry on a particular subject then I imagine they would find it hard to justify offering hundred grand towards research on it. Not that that is right-if we went with popular public opinion we'd probably all be prescribed antibiotics on a prophylactic basis >_>

Companies, of course, can offer money to research whatever they want. They only have to answer to their shareholders, which probably means they aren't going to be too invested in looking into results that damage their product's commercial viability.

I definitely appreciate that there is a difference between the beginning research and where the company goes with it in the end. I think the biggest problem is that if the government won't impose statutory testing, it's not in a company's interest to try to prove themselves wrong, particularly if, like in America, they have something like GRAS going for them.

I'm not sure fears about the American situation are validly applied to the Irish situation because European law is a LOT stricter with respect to GMs. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to get ethical approval and to meet the EPA's standards just to do the primary research. I honestly don't know enough about the law to know how hard it would be to bring GM food crops to field trial, let alone market, but I imagine it would be a fair bit tougher than across the pond.

I wouldn't say public opinion has no effect on where funding goes. For governmental agencies at least, they have to be seen to spend taxpayers' money on "relevant" research.
    Ok, but does the average person in Ireland really have any idea what kind of (publicly-funded) research is taking place there? I doubt it, particularly given that there seems to be a popular belief at present that Irish third-level institutions do not compare well internationally.

Ok, but does the average person in Ireland really have any idea what kind of (publicly-funded) research is taking place there? I doubt it, particularly given that there seems to be a popular belief at present that Irish third-level institutions do not compare well internationally.

That's a good point. I wouldn't say their consideration of our universities' international standing has much to do with it, but more likely than not their awareness of what research is going on is limited to what pops up in the news every once in a while.

I don't know anyone that has that opinion. Are you just saying that this opinion exists, or that you believe it to be true?

I think Irish Universities are grand anyway. The one I went to was good and well rounded, if not spectacular.
    That's a good point. I wouldn't say their consideration of our universities' international standing has much to do with it, but more likely than not their awareness of what research is going on is limited to what pops up in the news every once in a while.

I definitely think this is the case. The vast majority of people only hear about GM in the news, and usually it only makes the news when there's some negative controversy surrounding it.

Hence the prevailing suspicion that exists about it.

I'm all for stringent regulation, but I don't agree with banning GM outright.

I don't know anyone that has that opinion. Are you just saying that this opinion exists, or that you believe it to be true?
    I'm saying it exists. Go check out the Politics forum for example - Ireland's "third-rate universities" are frequently mentioned. I personally encounter this attitude a lot - people act genuinely surprised when they learn of some of cool stuff coming out of research labs in Ireland.

Anyways, not really relevant to the discussion at hand.

I'm saying it exists. Go check out the Politics forum for example - Ireland's "third-rate universities" are frequently mentioned. I personally encounter this attitude a lot - people act genuinely surprised when they learn of some of cool stuff coming out of research labs in Ireland.

Anyways, not really relevant to the discussion at hand.

Jaysus, that's a new one on me. Can't please some people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

EFSA is after discovering a potentially Toxic viral gene (It was always there but since their is very little to no research/testing of GMOs since people are the guinea pigs, it went unnoticed)

How should a regulatory agency announce they have discovered something potentially very important about the safety of products they have been approving for over twenty years?

In the course of analysis to identify potential allergens in GMO crops, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has belatedly discovered that the most common genetic regulatory sequence in commercial GMOs also encodes a significant fragment of a viral gene (Podevin and du Jardin 2012). This finding has serious ramifications for crop biotechnology and its regulation, but possibly even greater ones for consumers and farmers. This is because there are clear indications that this viral gene (called Gene VI) might not be safe for human consumption.
    The researchers themselves concluded that the presence of segments of Gene VI “might result in unintended phenotypic changes”. They reached this conclusion because similar fragments of Gene VI have already been shown to be active on their own (e.g. De Tapia et al. 1993). In other words, the EFSA researchers were unable to rule out a hazard to public health or the environment.
    In general, viral genes expressed in plants raise both agronomic and human health concerns (reviewed in Latham and Wilson 2008). This is because many viral genes function to disable their host in order to facilitate pathogen invasion.
    Commercial transgenic crop varieties can also contain superfluous copies of the transgene, including those that are incomplete or rearranged (Wilson et al 2006). These could be important additional sources of Gene VI protein. The decision of regulators to allow such multiple and complex insertion events was always highly questionable, but the realization that the CaMV 35S promoter contains Gene VI sequences provides yet another reason to believe that complex insertion events increase the likelihood of a biosafety problem.
    A further key point relates to the biotech industry and their campaign to secure public approval and a permissive regulatory environment. This has led them to repeatedly claim, firstly, that GMO technology is precise and predictable; and secondly, that their own competence and self-interest would prevent them from ever bringing potentially harmful products to the market; and thirdly, to assert that only well studied and fully understood transgenes are commercialized. It is hard to imagine a finding more damaging to these claims than the revelations surrounding Gene VI.
    Even now that EFSA’s own researchers have belatedly considered the risk issues, no one can say whether the public has been harmed, though harm appears a clear scientific possibility. Considered from the perspective of professional and scientific risk assessment, this situation represents a complete and catastrophic system failure.
    Footnotes
    1) EFSA regulators might now be regretting their failure to implement meaningful GMO monitoring. It would be a good question for European politicians to ask EFSA and for the board of EFSA to ask the GMO panel, whose job it is to implement monitoring.
    ^:eek:

http://independentsciencenews.org/commentaries/regulators-discover-a-hidden-viral-gene-in-commercial-gmo-crops/

EFSA is after discovering a potentially Toxic viral gene...
    A fragment of a viral gene - there is no evidence of toxicity.

What's the big deal? A significant percentage of human DNA, for example, is virus-derived:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v463/n7277/abs/nature08695.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

In better health is questionably? Lingering on with some kind(s) of chronic illness be more like it.

Last 5 people I know that died, all died from Cancer. Near two thirds of Cancers are caused by diet, so says literature I've read. How do you know it's not GM?

Never smoked or drank, poultry and fish only, mid 30s, 2.5k swim every other day, blader....and out of the blue I get cancer:eek:
    Quite sure it wasn't GM

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭SiegfriedsMum

Never smoked or drank, poultry and fish only, mid 30s, 2.5k swim every other day, blader....and out of the blue I get cancer:eek:
    Quite sure it wasn't GM

What does your oncologist say?

Seriously, a lot of twaddle is talked about GM foods, and most of it is nudge nudge wink wink stuff. I think if GM foods leads to less pesticides and better crops then that's two advantages. Its funny how many of those opposed to GM (like prince charles) are also advocates of quackery like homoeopathy and such nonsense.

Advertisement