Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could Monsanto Destroy Irelands Farmers

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

recedite wrote: »
    Re the GM potato trials, it seems they are still ongoing, but appear to be successful.
    from teagasc

Also I was mistaken in that Monsanto are not involved in this, although they did trial GM beet there some years ago. It is this publicly funded Dutch research facility.That is logical enough, because blight resistant potatoes would not earn money for the chemicals industry, quite the opposite.
    Unless they sell the blight resistant potatoes! Then its ka-ching!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Macha wrote: »
    I'm talking about accidental cross-pollination cases, not the farmers who argued about buying it from third parties. Many of the farmers involved are organic farmers who stand to lose their organic status due to cross-pollination with GM. The idea that they're somehow sneakily doing it on purpose makes no sense to me.

But Monsanto don't tend to sue in cases of accidental cross-pollination. The plants are designed specifically to reduce the level of natural reproduction.

With undirected cross-pollination you'd expect maybe 1-2% of crops to express that particular gene when exposed to GM crops in neighbouring fields. The farmers sued are usually the ones who stockpile Monsanto seeds and intentionally replant them.

I don't think GM crops should be grown commercially at all yet, but if you do grow them and haven't paid for a licence for them, you're well in line to get sued

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

shedweller wrote: »
    Unless they sell the blight resistant potatoes! Then its ka-ching!!
    As the GM potato research is state-sponsored and under EU auspices, the only ka-ching would be for the farmers saving on fungicidal sprays, and consumers getting cheaper and more organically produced spuds.

Whether or not they will ever be released is another matter. It would depend on whether EU heads of govt. want to allow GM food to be grown in the EU, which in turn depends largely on public sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

recedite wrote: »
    As the GM potato research is state-sponsored and under EU auspices, the only ka-ching would be for the farmers saving on fungicidal sprays, and consumers getting cheaper and more organically produced spuds.
    You poor deluded fool :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

You poor deluded fool :rolleyes:
    I was thinking the same thing. Last i heard it meant using MORE pesticides! Yay for us and the food we eat!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees."
    Blake

Advertisement