Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless plastic

• 25-03-2021 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Anybody else think its ridiculous that shops are wrapping individual pastries and bread in plastic. Not only is it a waste and build up of plastic but the bread is crap to eat after. Its supposed to stop coming but does it actually.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

MrSeanWick wrote: »
    Anybody else think its ridiculous that shops are wrapping individual pastries and bread in plastic. Not only is it a waste and build up of plastic but the bread is crap to eat after. Its supposed to stop coming but does it actually.

Get rid of the large plastic carrier bags instead

They need to wrap stuff because people paw bread and pastries

VoUqvma.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭jkforde

i love the idea behind the nudge behaviour approach.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudge_theory

make it awkward to use single use single plastic and then people will naturally drift away from it

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

Agree, but with covid I cant see it going away any time soon. There are other materials that can be used to wrap them though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, our local shop only started wrapping them as a covid measure. which means the bread goes rubbery in the plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MrSeanWick

DaCor wrote: »
    Agree, but with covid I cant see it going away any time soon. There are other materials that can be used to wrap them though

I know, its just very annoying to see and one shop I went into had individual donuts in a big plastic box that are used for cakes. It looked ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 MrSeanWick

yeah, our local shop only started wrapping them as a covid measure. which means the bread goes rubbery in the plastic.

Agreed. The bread and pastries are not proofing properly. Turns me off buying them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I saw cellulose based plastic on foodstuff at a market and since see there is dis-solvable coverings on items such as dishwasher tablets, this could fit the bill for the likes of bread? ie a covering that prevents people touching and potentially contaminating with direct contact? perforated (as plastics are for bread anyway would make it breathable, any reasons why this isnt a utilised material. I'll guess its shelf life isnt as long but Im sure that could be managed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember reading, probably 20 years ago, that cellulose manufacture is not clean at all. not sure if that may have changed in the intervening period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

First thing that came to mind was the animal cruelty protesters in Madrid using a lot of plastic to re create a scenario of packaged human meat. Such a waste of plastic and a tad hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Half the virgin plastic ever produced has been manufactured since 2005.

Recycling? What’s the fu**in’ point...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A Ferrero Rocha comes in a foil wrapper and a piece of paper/card inside a plastic box inside a plastic wrapper. For a bit of crappy lightweight chocolate.

My blood test stripes come in a sealed box yet the 10 x 5 strips are encased inside an utterly needless plastic wraparound.

It's crazy how much additional crap is added to a product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

What annoys me is that "cannot be recycled plastic" or bring to your nearest store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭jkforde

Circular Economy Consultation
    http://www.epa.ie/pubs/consultation/irelandscirculareconomyprogramme.html

Let them know your thoughts.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

A lot of Lidl stuff is packed in material that is "not yet recyclable".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

A Ferrero Rocha comes in ....

My blood test stripes come in ...

I'm just wondering :p

FYP

and a heap of it I cant for the life of me see why ( other then "marketing" )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Extra user.

The situation with all kinds of plastic is ludicrous

Shop fridges filled with plastic bottles of fizzy drink no-one even needs to drink

0lddog wrote: »
    I'm just wondering :p

Nope! My sister had a box at Christmas (very cliched I thought) but I only had one and remembered I don't like them. Terrible product in every respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Anybody else think its ridiculous that shops are wrapping individual pastries and bread in plastic.

It’s a covid thing. But on the note of plastics....I read an article in the Guardian the last day about airborne plastics.....
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/airborne-plastic-pollution-spiralling-around-the-globe-study-finds/ar-BB1fzUbP
    I thought we could avoid the sea plastics by not eating fish but this takes the ‘bait..cuit’....now it’s airborne! ....How do you deal with that......?.?!scary stuff!

It’s a covid thing. But on the note of plastics....I read an article in the Guardian the last day about airborne plastics.....
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/airborne-plastic-pollution-spiralling-around-the-globe-study-finds/ar-BB1fzUbP
    I thought we could avoid the sea plastics by not eating fish but this takes the bait......now it’s airborne! ....How do you deal with that......?.?!scary stuff!

Fish full of plastic shrink wrapped in plastic

• Advertisement

Nope! My sister had a box at Christmas (very cliched I thought) but I only had one ...

Good for you ! ( sometimes that aint easy )

:)

I've always envisaged dispensers where you go with your can and dispense a litre of bleach or a litre of milk and pay for it

I know it doesn't fit the conventional model of retail sales

What's going on at the moment and add Amazon to the mix now pushing all kinds of unnecessary plastic products is just not sustainable

They would be brilliant but you'd end up with the health and safety police on you. Spillages! :eek: On the other hand if someone set up a dedicated dispenser unit in a location and you could say buy the dedicated receptacle on first visit and then reuse it thereafter at that outlet then it could work if it were possible to bulk buy a large enough range of products - juices, milks, cleaning fluids, alcohol, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

A lot??? you mean most of Lidl stuff!

Aldi and Lidl have to be the worst offenders in this area because so much of their stuff is "own brand" so they have full control over how it is packed.

The only reason there can be is that its cheaper for them so they make more profit.

Total bullsh!t when they say how much stuff the stores recycle when they are dumping so much unrecyclable plastic on customers.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I've always envisaged dispensers where you go with your can and dispense a litre of bleach or a litre of milk and pay for it....

Biscuits used to be sold out of a big container - ask for however many you wanted 'n shop assistant would put them into a paper bag for you. :)

Same with sweets too - big container of, say, Quality Street ( was V up market ) ask for so many oz and they would be put in a paper bag for you.

Is it still allowed to slice ham in a shop ? ( or does it have to be prepacked ? )

0lddog wrote: »
    Biscuits used to be sold out of a big container - ask for however many you wanted 'n shop assistant would put them into a paper bag for you. :)

Same with sweets too - big container of, say, Quality Street ( was V up market ) ask for so many oz and they would be put in a paper bag for you.

Is it still allowed to slice ham in a shop ? ( or does it have to be prepacked ? )
    Thats right

We're gone backwards in a lot of ways and of course business won't change unles it's in their interest or forced to do so

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The situation with all kinds of plastic is ludicrous

Shop fridges filled with plastic bottles of fizzy drink no-one even needs to drink
    You can argue that fizzy drinks have flavour and so aren't a direct replacement for tap water.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bottled-water-market-size-worth-505-19-billion-by-2028--cagr-11-1-grand-view-research-inc-301219764.html
    The global bottled water market size is expected to reach USD 505.19 billion by 2028, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. It is expected to expand at a CAGR of 11.1% from 2021 to 2028. The growing awareness regarding the adverse health effects of consuming sugary drinks, such as weight gain, obesity, diabetes, and heart disease, is supporting the consumption of alternative beverages, such as still and sparkling water.

Advertisement