04-05-2021, 21:20   #136
Oneiric 3

I kinda got to wondering if this ongoing northerly stream has anything to do with (admittedly. very small) ongoing eruption in Iceland? I do remember back in 2010, that the much larger eruption there seemed to coincided with an unusual amount of northerly winds around this time of the year as well.
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 21:40   #137
External Association

I remember May 1996 quite well. When you'd be out from 7-9pm it felt like twilight on a cold northerly with frost in the first week of March. Your breath holding visible in the air.

The June Bank Holiday weekend was very cold too. That summer was poor overall bar a warm week mid to late June, 27C in Shannon and a warm week mid July. August was cool and very cloudy.
(2) thanks from:
04-05-2021, 22:31   #138
Tyrone212

Sleet and pockets of snow showing up on netweather radar.
04-05-2021, 23:02   #139
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium View Post
Looking ahead, tomorrow the coldest uppers arrive over Ulster, 522 dm thickness reaches approx Leitrim to north Leinster and stays there most of the day so in parts of NI as low as 519 dm, 850 mb temps near -6 C, any higher elevation showers could turn to snow or ice pellets.

A bit of a secondary push of cold air on Thursday will at least keep it well below normal to Friday.

Any optimism about temps this weekend looks a bit premature to me, it will certainly try to recover in the southeast and may reach 14 or 15 C there, but the way this next low is coming in, warm advection is very weak and the overcast will kill it off, with a steady rain setting in later and into Sunday. Then it's another three cold days after that.

The GFS gives some promise of a brief warmup around Thursday 13th and Friday 14th where it could be near 20 C. Then there would be yet another cold spell developing in the following week as the winds turn northerly again.

Overall I can't see the mean temperature getting past 10 C at any point before the very end of the month. It may reach 9 C briefly in that warm spell then fall back into the 8s.
Gee MT! Cheerful soul! I hear there is snow in parts of Canada...

Actually it is not the temp that is so damaging for my needs (as long as there is no frost) but the high winds. As a serious gardener/grower. My home is small and currently the bathroom is stacked with seed trays taking refuge from wind scorch. Little is germinating.. And the lack of rain until now... Even that first shower saw wee green shoots appearing to gladden my old heart..

As we are of course cut off by the gales also, growing is even more vital. Even the chickweed is not up yet. ( good vitamin- rich eating is chickweed)
Thanks from:
04-05-2021, 23:06   #140
Dickie10

Quote:
Originally Posted by External Association View Post
I remember May 1996 quite well. When you'd be out from 7-9pm it felt like twilight on a cold northerly with frost in the first week of March. Your breath holding visible in the air.

The June Bank Holiday weekend was very cold too. That summer was poor overall bar a warm week mid to late June, 27C in Shannon and a warm week mid July. August was cool and very cloudy.
yeah i remember ome of these years from the GAA games I know they are only saturdays and sundays but give a good snapshot of weather week to week. i remember that year well because meath won sam. leinster final day v dublin in last sunday in july was a downpour , the kerry v mayo semi final was wet day to and the other semi final meath v tyrone was overcast and cool. i remember the first meath v dublin game in 1991 was june bank holiday sunday very cool and windy as was the replay the following week and third game was in pouring rain, June 1991 must have been a very bad month.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-05-2021, 00:29   #141
External Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie10 View Post
yeah i remember ome of these years from the GAA games I know they are only saturdays and sundays but give a good snapshot of weather week to week. i remember that year well because meath won sam. leinster final day v dublin in last sunday in july was a downpour , the kerry v mayo semi final was wet day to and the other semi final meath v tyrone was overcast and cool. i remember the first meath v dublin game in 1991 was june bank holiday sunday very cool and windy as was the replay the following week and third game was in pouring rain, June 1991 must have been a very bad month.
Down to -2C one night in early June 1991. Very cold start. Even the 4th Dublin v Meath game on 6 July was very sunny but only 15-18c.

The summer took off on Saturday 10th August when my Laois lost to Meath in the Leinster final Mid 20s late August and 28.4c on 5th September 1991 in Valentia. The weather broke shortly after mid September 1991.

Kilkenny v Wexford hurling 1996 first round on June Bank Holiday Sunday was a cold day. I remember the rain Meath v Dublin Leinster final, 10pts to 8pts I think?
(2) thanks from:
05-05-2021, 08:15   #142
Mimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by External Association View Post
Down to -2C one night in early June 1991. Very cold start. Even the 4th Dublin v Meath game on 6 July was very sunny but only 15-18c.

The summer took off on Saturday 10th August when my Laois lost to Meath in the Leinster final Mid 20s late August and 28.4c on 5th September 1991 in Valentia. The weather broke shortly after mid September 1991.

Kilkenny v Wexford hurling 1996 first round on June Bank Holiday Sunday was a cold day. I remember the rain Meath v Dublin Leinster final, 10pts to 8pts I think?
Got ridiculed for telling friends that I remember a decent frost in June. Would have been early 90's so possibly that time.

If I recall correctly July is the only month in Ireland without a frost recorded at one of the weather stations?
(2) thanks from:
05-05-2021, 12:04   #143
Donegal Storm

Plenty snow on the hills in Donegal today
05-05-2021, 12:20   #144
Tyrone212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimon View Post
Got ridiculed for telling friends that I remember a decent frost in June. Would have been early 90's so possibly that time.

If I recall correctly July is the only month in Ireland without a frost recorded at one of the weather stations?
In the North the record low for July is -1.1 in Tyrone and -0.3 in Longford.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-05-2021, 15:01   #145
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimon View Post

Met Eireann has the all time July low at -0.3c in Longford:

https://www.met.ie/climate/weather-extreme-records

Ground frosts however, although rare, are not unheard of in July.
Thanks from:
05-05-2021, 15:27   #146
pauldry

-5.6c record low for May

Any chance of us hitting that?

-3c tonight ...maybe -4c in Mt Dillon/Markree or Mullingar/Dublin Airport
05-05-2021, 15:39   #147
tomcosgrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
I kinda got to wondering if this ongoing northerly stream has anything to do with (admittedly. very small) ongoing eruption in Iceland? I do remember back in 2010, that the much larger eruption there seemed to coincided with an unusual amount of northerly winds around this time of the year as well.
I was wondering if the weather had anything to do with the eruption of La Soufriere in the Caribbean which is more active than the one in Iceland.
05-05-2021, 21:11   #148
beggars_bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
-5.6c record low for May

hope not!
(2) thanks from:
05-05-2021, 22:24   #149
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcosgrave View Post
I was wondering if the weather had anything to do with the eruption of La Soufriere in the Caribbean which is more active than the one in Iceland.
God only knows but certainly a lot of ash thrown into the atmosphere from that series of eruptions a couple of weeks back.
Thanks from:
05-05-2021, 22:34   #150
tabby aspreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
-5.6c record low for May

There was a few nights heavy frost last May, burned the leaves off potatoes, and young trees around here, even damaged a few acres of Norway Spruce I'm growing, which is supposed to have good resistant to late frosts

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion