Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Address for Trinity Hall?

• 22-10-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, does anyone know what address I would use to send something to a specific apartment in halls? eg to house 88.8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Room 8.X, 88 Trinity Hall, Dartry, Dublin 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Hi, does anyone know what address I would use to send something to a specific apartment in halls? eg to house 88.8

FYI, it's no. 88

88.x.y
    Trinity Hall
    Darty
    Dublin 6

x is the floor, y is the room number

Personally, I'd go for something like:

Miss Stephanie Hamilton
    88 Trinity Hall
    Dartry
    Dublin 6

Far more personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    FYI, it's no. 88

88.x.y
    Trinity Hall
    Darty
    Dublin 6

x is the floor, y is the room number

X is actually the apartment number, y is the room number. I.e. 88.8.1 is apartment 8, room 1, house 88

Warrior011 wrote: »
    X is actually the apartment number, y is the room number. I.e. 88.8.1 is apartment 8, room 1, house 88

Damn modernists. Another fine example of tinkering with continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

It's in the pack that you got with your keycard on it.
    if your apt is 88.8 then
    Your name here,
    88.8 Trinity Hall,
    Dartry Road
    Dublin 6

• Advertisement

FYI, it's no. 88
    it's actually house 88

Groinshot wrote: »
    it's actually house 88

Come on. It's hardly a house now.

The Provost lives in a house. Even then, you don't refer to his gaff as "house 1" Grafton Street.

It's in the pack that you got with your keycard on it.
    if your apt is 88.8 then
    Your name here,
    88.8 Trinity Hall,
    Dartry Road
    Dublin 6

Just in case the mail staff don't know what number you live in and the post man doesn't know that Tit Hall is on Darty Road...

Just in case the mail staff don't know what number you live in and the post man doesn't know that Tit Hall is on Darty Road...

you know you're an awful troll...
    OP asked what their postal address is, so we told them what the address is. Provosts address is grafton street, if you write a letter to the students union for some reason, the address is
    Trinity Students' Union
    House 6
    Trinity College
    Dublin 2.
    Just because you can't get your thick skull around it, doesn't mean it's necessary to change it for someone like you.

you know you're an awful troll...
    OP asked what their postal address is, so we told them what the address is. Provosts address is grafton street, if you write a letter to the students union for some reason, the address is
    Trinity Students' Union
    House 6
    Trinity College
    Dublin 2.
    Just because you can't get your thick skull around it, doesn't mean it's necessary to change it for someone like you.

I prefer

Students' Union
    6 Trinity College
    Dublin

The "2" is totally unnecessary (how could you miss the only Trinity College in Dublin 2?) As is "house" (it's not a house).

I suggest you go over to the mail office and ask them what is the clearest and most well-known college addressing system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

I prefer

Students' Union
    6 Trinity College
    Dublin

The "2" is totally unnecessary (how could you miss the only Trinity College in Dublin 2?) As is "house" (it's not a house).

I suggest you go over to the mail office and ask them what is the clearest and most well-known college addressing system.

Postcodes are quite necessary if you dislike your mail taking longer to get delivered.

Postcodes are quite necessary if you dislike your mail taking longer to get delivered.

Handwritten addresses are read by computer vision and passed to and passed to another program which can resolve address string sequences to GPS coordinates. The postman then collects a bag full of mail specific to his area. Very hard to find ambiguity of location with "Trinity College/TCD/Trinity College, Dublin". Welcome to the 21st century.

I dare you to send a postcard to X Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland when you're next on holidays. If you're particularly pernickety about these matters, I suggest you send two and compare the results. Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

I dare you to send a postcard to X Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland when you're next on holidays. If you're particularly pernickety about these matters, I suggest you send two and compare the results. Let me know how you get on.

I bet you could send your postcard to "X, Trinity College Dublin" and it would get there.

Gae wrote: »
    I bet you could send your postcard to "X, Trinity College Dublin" and it would get there.

It would, but you forgot the comma.

It would, but you forgot the comma.

I didn't forget anything.

I didn't forget anything.

It's "Trinity College, Dublin", not "Trinity College Dublin". Unfortunately frequent errors are encountered everywhere - even in publications such as the Calendar (shudders at the sight of disability-Nazi-friendly Arial font). This confusion was only magnified when some genius decided to "standardize" the College's "corporate identity" a few years back.

It's "Trinity College, Dublin", not "Trinity College Dublin".

What gives you that idea?

What gives you that idea?

I know it's difficult when you've been brought up to believe that 2+2=5 and someone tells you 2+2=4.

Trinity College, Dublin avoids confusion with the other two colleges.

And 'Trinity College Dublin' causes confusion?

And 'Trinity College Dublin' causes confusion?

Depends on the context. But one of my pet peeves is addresses like this:

Dr X
    House 2
    Trinity College Dublin
    Dublin 2

should read:

Dr X
    2 Trinity College
    Dublin

"Dublin 2" if you must.

• Advertisement

I know it's difficult when you've been brought up to believe that 2+2=5 and someone tells you 2+2=4.

which two other colleges would that be?

The two that are called 'Trinity College Dublin' rather than 'Trinity College, Dublin' apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Depends on the context. But one of my pet peeves is addresses like this:

Dr X
    House 2
    Trinity College Dublin
    Dublin 2

should read:

Dr X
    2 Trinity College
    Dublin

"Dublin 2" if you must.

I disagree.

Trinity College bit I agree with - its not Trinity College Dublin.
    But the address should not include the "house" number preceeding Trinity College. This implies Trinity College is a street and that the postal service can access and individually deliver to number 2 on this street which is clearly not true.

The correct way is for An Post to hand over at the Trinity college bit so that line and everything below it is of their interest, then the address system above is that of TCD's preference, which appears to be the;

Dr. X
    House YY

system.

Trinity College, Oxford and Trinity College, Cambridge. Have a look at their websites/Wikipedia pages.

It took a while to get the comma on the Trinity (Dublin) wikipedia page, but we got there eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭vladglenin

Trinity College, Oxford and Trinity College, Cambridge. Have a look at their websites/Wikipedia pages.

It took a while to get the comma on the Trinity (Dublin) wikipedia page, but we got there eventually.

You are one of the worst trolls I have seen in a long time, JohnJoeDali.

1) You gave the wrong information regarding the Trinity Hall address, and didn't admit to your mistake.

2) You think postcodes are a bad idea because everyone knows there's only one Trinity College in Dublin 2, but think that an post would get confused as to which "Trinity College Dublin" the letter is meant to go to due to the lack of a comma? I really don't see the logic in your argument.

I'm aware that I'm feeding the troll here, btw.

OP's question has been answered, JohnJoeDali got it wrong, Groinshot answered correctly, let's leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭aas

I understand why it's correct to say Trinity College, Dublin, but does it not make it more likely to be confused with the other colleges? You're taking the name of all three colleges to be Trinity College and differentiating them only by location, similar to National University of Ireland, Galway and National University of Ireland, Maynooth.

Okay, I made a mistake, I was wrong about the Trinity bit, albeit I can't find a single reference to it on any of the websites... Now, I'veadmitted it. Be a man. Also, You know a comma can be added by anyone on wikipedia, it's free for everyone to chance. You could add in a paragraph about jonjoedali being the provost and it'd probably be up for the best part of a day.

Okay, I made a mistake, I was wrong about the Trinity bit, albeit I can't find a single reference to it on any of the websites... Now, I'veadmitted it. Be a man. Also, You know a comma can be added by anyone on wikipedia, it's free for everyone to chance. You could add in a paragraph about jonjoedali being the provost and it'd probably be up for the best part of a day.

I suggest you read through the history and discussions on Wikipedia and see for yourself some of the reasoning behind the comma. There was a big discussion on it. Thankfully logic won the argument in the end (although there's still some work to be done with the Nazi administrator/senior volunteer who, to the best of my knowledge, never matriculated yet still insists on omitting the comma from the Wikipedia side bar).

I suggest you read through the history and discussions on Wikipedia and see for yourself some of the reasoning behind the comma. There was a big discussion on it. Thankfully logic won the argument in the end (although there's still some work to be done with the Nazi administrator/senior volunteer who, to the best of my knowledge, never matriculated yet still insists on omitting the comma from the Wikipedia side bar).

Why don't you just add it yourself if it peeves you that much. It's wikipedia, you can just add it yourself. And you avoided the main part of my post, you still haven't admitted that you were wrong. I never argued the comma, I know it's supposed to be there, maybe you should read the posts that you're so condescending of.

• Advertisement

The Trinity Wikipedia is not easily updated by just anyone. You need to have gained status to be able to add/remove things permanently. If you put up a spiel saying Groinshot is Provost, it would last 30 minutes max.

It took a long time to convince the "mod" to allow the comma. Even then, it's missing in places.

Advertisement