Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-04-2019, 21:18   #46
First Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Abandonment
They should of cancelled the trip. I understand ships can sail in this weather. But jesus It will put most of the passengers off ever travelling by ship again.

People need to get home. If its safe to sail, 99% of passengers would want to go.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-04-2019, 21:53   #47
PauloMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Up View Post
People need to get home. If its safe to sail, 99% of passengers would want to go.
Not to mention commercial traffic also. But I can imagine that a lot of holidaymakers would be put off by the experience.
27-04-2019, 22:01   #48
First Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloMN
Not to mention commercial traffic also. But I can imagine that a lot of holidaymakers would be put off by the experience.
Bad weather is a fact of life at sea but holidaymakers don't usually get the worst of it.

Crew will tell you that the worst crossing in summer is mild compared to what they experience in the winter.
27-04-2019, 22:04   #49
HeidiHeidi

They're still doing laps of Dublin bay by the looks of it. That's one loooooong trip (I've discovered I know someone on board as well)
27-04-2019, 22:05   #50
First Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiHeidi
They're still doing laps of Dublin bay by the looks of it. That's one loooooong trip (I've discovered I know someone on board as well)

Nightmare.
Advertisement
27-04-2019, 22:26   #51
mad m

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiHeidi View Post
Have you a link of how to look up boats.
27-04-2019, 22:26   #52
HeidiHeidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad m View Post
Have you a link of how to look up boats.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:53.3/zoom:8

Looks like they're heading back in now.... but I don't see anything leaving the port....
27-04-2019, 22:27   #53
pm.

Send a message via MSN to pm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiHeidi View Post
Yep it's getting annoying now can see Dublin and everyone just wants off... A lot people complaining to crew due to the lack of information passed onto passengers. Surely they would have known or had some idea that we were going to loose our spot

Feel sorry for some of the passengers that have hours to travel or have trains to catch. An experience I'm glad that is ALMOST behind me
(3) thanks from:
27-04-2019, 22:28   #54
PauloMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Up View Post
Bad weather is a fact of life at sea but holidaymakers don't usually get the worst of it.

Crew will tell you that the worst crossing in summer is mild compared to what they experience in the winter.
I'm sure they get more frequent bad crossings in the winter alright, but Hannah produced F11 on the France-Ireland route so it was up there with a bad winter storm for sure. I'd say it was right on the edge for sailing. Any more would have produced Imogen seas and look what happened the Epsilon when it sailed in that.

Dublin-Holyhead for me and landbridge to France. Sea never as rough as the France route and no problems with docking.
Advertisement
27-04-2019, 22:31   #55
HeidiHeidi

Aha, I see not one but two ships pulling out of dock..... you'll have your choice of berths.... the end is in sight!!!
(4) thanks from:
27-04-2019, 22:35   #56
First Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloMN
Dublin-Holyhead for me and landbridge to France. Sea never as rough as the France route and no problems with docking.
This one was bad for the time of year. I've done a dozen or more crossings to France and never had anything remotely that bad.

I'd still prefer the direct route to France to going via the UK - after Brexit it will be an even easier choice.
Thanks from:
27-04-2019, 22:39   #57
pm.

Send a message via MSN to pm.
One of the metal ceiling tiles that fell a few feet from me. I'll post the videos tomorrow
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 26EDE49E-5247-4FAD-A0F4-F5482B1FD59F.jpeg (2.10 MB, 824 views)
27-04-2019, 22:44   #58
Manitoban

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm. View Post
One of the metal ceiling tiles that fell a few feet from me. I'll post the videos tomorrow
What an ordeal, hope yous are on dry land very soon.
27-04-2019, 22:50   #59
Spanish Eyes

Glad the ship is nearly in port now, and sorry for those who had to endure the crossing in the storm, but it happens, and there are never any guarantees out on the open sea.

Anyway, to those having a bit of a rant about food etc., surely you would have known from looking at the forecast or on social media and so on that Hannah storm was incoming.

Therefore, well, this is just me I suppose, first thing I would do (after Auchan and the other wine shops ha ha) is to stock up on non perishable grub and have it on board. If it is not needed, great, but it is also great to have a stash of bread, crackers, pate, crisps, juice, bananas, and all that and more, just in case.

The ships probably have a leeway in case of delays, but I'd always have a secret stash anyway! There may be a food regulation issue also with keeping hot food for too long or something, I don't know.
27-04-2019, 22:52   #60
PauloMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm. View Post
Nearly over. Hope you don't have too far to go when you hit dry land.

Look forward to the videos.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion