Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you agree with minimum alcohol pricing?
I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland. 273 20.67%
I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government. 1,048 79.33%
Voters: 1321. You may not vote on this poll

29-11-2016, 19:07   #61
end of the road

minimum pricing doesn't work. where it has been introduced they're has been no effect on consumption. waste of time, failure, pointless.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-11-2016, 19:09   #62
Strawberry Milkshake

Ridiculous idea and I'm glad I live near the border.

Vodka, anyone? https://groceries.asda.com/product/v...um-vodka/18883
29-11-2016, 19:14   #63
Fuaranach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeo View Post
The government are set to bring in minimum alcohol pricing.

A slab of 24 cans will have a minimum price of €48 and a bottle of spirits will be a minimum of €28.

Ultimate nanny state bolloxogy and pandering again to the vitners association.

I'm on touch site, so link to follow.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1124/83...research-rcsi/

(Misspelling in the headline ... no surprises coming from that North Korean unionised crap rag anyway.)

This is absolute nonsense in my opinion. Even the cheapest of beers (shop own brand) will have to be sold at €2 per can (1 Euro per unit of alcohol). Naggins will be a minimum of €8, 70cl bottles will be €28, cans of beer €2 and a whopping €40 for a litre of spirits.

We are heading on a slippery slope towards a fascist Nazi-style dictatorship. Ireland is a First World country, I believe in capitalism. If someone over the legal drinking age wants to buy a can of beer at 50 cents and a shop is offering the cans at such a price, then why should a Hitler-style government stop them?

We have a winner for the "What ignorant pleb terminology can I rob from the British tabloids" category: "nanny state" used in the first post. And Nazis. And fascists. And anti- trade unions. Impressive.
29-11-2016, 19:16   #64
My name is URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry Milkshake View Post
Ridiculous idea and I'm glad I live near the border.

Vodka, anyone? https://groceries.asda.com/product/v...um-vodka/18883
Yes. For the first time in a long time living on the border is a good thing

I can get a slab of 24 beers for €25 already in this place

They'll probably lower prices a bit too when / if minimum pricing comes in here.
29-11-2016, 19:20   #65
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGlass View Post
Just thinking about it there also. Would it not have made more sense to restrict the alcohol content of products? IE, bring cans down to 2/3% max and spirits down to 21% max. I really fail to see how price is going to stop an alcoholic from buying the same amount of drink. You don't see people addicted to heroin saying '**** lads, too expensive for me today, I will have to take a break'. Oh wait. Forgot they problem doesn't exist according to this government cause heroin is illegal.

Class.
21%? I drink Whiskey. I can't think of a single one that's that low. Sure some Irish distillers might be able to make a product with a lower percentage but every single foreign whiskey would have to be removed from the shelves. No more scotch
Advertisement
29-11-2016, 19:22   #66
Fuaranach

Anything the brings the cost to me down of funding these idiots with alcohol problems is welcome.

I'm sick of them clogging up our A&E departments, killing hundreds of people on Irish roads each year, missing innumerable work days which my taxes have to subsidise, assaulting innocent people on our streets, and destroying the lives of chislers and their long-suffering partners because of their addiction. All of society suffers because of their weakness/selfishness.

At the very, very least all alcohol advertising should be banned in its entirety. It's not as if these drug companies are advertising because it's ineffective at increasing the purchase of their drug.

The same unevolved troglodytes (with apologies for the tautology) who scream "nanny state" at this one would have also been outraged at the
"interference" which fire, food and safety regulations symbolised when they were first introduced in a different era.
Thanks from:
29-11-2016, 19:25   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropi View Post
Although there is certainly a problem with a portion of the population and their ability to control their drinking habits, this is a self-serving exercise and will benefit nobody but vintners. I foresee a repeat of people flocking up North for cheaper alcohol for certain.
The last part is probably true, so how does that benefit vintners?
29-11-2016, 19:26   #68
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasTa View Post
I spent €25 on 3 beers and two of them were 330ml. This won't affect me so I hope it's brought in and pushes more people towards nicer plonk.
It will because businesses will always try to price their way away from the cheaper stuff.

More expensive cheap stuff. More expensive expensive stuff.

Thems are how it works buddy
29-11-2016, 19:27   #69
Dr Crayfish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by My name is URL View Post

They'll probably lower prices a bit too when / if minimum pricing comes in here.
In fairness I'm pretty sure crates of Guinness are 25e in Dunnes right now
Advertisement
29-11-2016, 19:27   #70
Cupcake_Crisis

If they were taking that extra money and funnelling it directly into addiction services or alcohol education I'd probably have no problem with this. But the world and his wife knows that it'll just be used to pay someone's already over inflated wage packet.

It'll have the opposite effect. People will just start making monthly trips up north to stock up.
29-11-2016, 19:29   #71
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake_Crisis View Post
If they were taking that extra money and funnelling it directly into addiction services or alcohol education I'd probably have no problem with this. But the world and his wife knows that it'll just be used to pay someone's already over inflated wage packet.

It'll have the opposite effect. People will just start making monthly trips up north to stock up.
Beer Barron will be daily.
Thanks from:
29-11-2016, 19:38   #72
bear1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuaranach View Post
Anything the brings the cost to me down of funding these idiots with alcohol problems is welcome.

I'm sick of them clogging up our A&E departments, killing hundreds of people on Irish roads each year, missing innumerable work days which my taxes have to subsidise, assaulting innocent people on our streets, and destroying the lives of chislers and their long-suffering partners because of their addiction. All of society suffers because of their weakness/selfishness.

At the very, very least all alcohol advertising should be banned in its entirety. It's not as if these drug companies are advertising because it's ineffective at increasing the purchase of their drug.

The same unevolved troglodytes (with apologies for the tautology) who scream "nanny state" at this one would have also been outraged at the
"interference" which fire, food and safety regulations symbolised when they were first introduced in a different era.
Clogged up a&e, hundreds killed on the roads every year and huge work days lost.
Presumably youve got evidence to back up those sensationalist facts yeah?
29-11-2016, 19:44   #73
Anita Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuaranach View Post

Minimum pricing will do nothing to impact any of this. It will solely affect alcohol bought in off-licenses/supermarkets for consumption at home. How many people do you see being admitted to A&E following a bottle of wine at home, or fighting in the streets at 3am after having a few beers with friends watching tv? I'd wager none. They're all coming out of pubs & clubs which are unaffected by this law and lobbied for it for no other reason than to stifle competition.
29-11-2016, 19:50   #74
0ph0rce0

More bollocks i see, We'll give you a fiver a month back in tax but try and **** you every other way pretending that we care about your health.

Same sneaky ****e to get money out of you. They really are a bunch of *****.

Everything now days has some made up tax or levy on it, They won't get involved in anything to help the common folk but just try to drive up the price for everything as the higher the price the higher amount of money they get in

Take the motor insurance for instance, Everyone knows the companies are taking the piss but they won't get involved with insurance companies because every motor policy has a 5% government levy, The higher the premium the higher amount of euro they take in. Same with everything in the country.

Still love Ireland though. Up the ra
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2016, 20:03   #75
17-pdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by My name is URL View Post

Isn't it the plan though not to bring it in until theres MU pricing in NI as well? 2018 isn't it?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion