Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-10-2018, 00:04   #31
Rikand

Is there another one out there off the coast of italy - the european weather forecast on rte had a brief mention of something something
Advertisement
06-10-2018, 08:14   #32
highdef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikand View Post
Is there another one out there off the coast of italy - the european weather forecast on rte had a brief mention of something something
Yes there is. Reports of flash flooding in many parts of Italy, particularly the south and in the islands. When that clears, it looks like another will move into the Western Med. A lot of resorts will be having very nasty weather in the coming week.
23-06-2019, 05:02   #33
hatrickpatrick

The SST anomalies in the Mediterranean are incredible at the moment, particularly the whopper of an Ionian Sea anomaly. If other conditions align, these SSTs could contribute to some seriously intense "medicanes" this summer and autumn. Definitely an area to keep an eye on.

23-10-2019, 23:08   #34
dsmythy

Ingredients for development in the far eastern Med this Friday.

One to watch, though no extreme effects currently in the forecast. Thunderstorms had been developing with an upper low present in recent days and an attempt to organise around a circulation. Israel and Egypt on watch.

24-10-2019, 17:52   #35
dsmythy

The centre of the circulation is near stationary. Models want to move it SE where Sinai could be a landfall point but models predictably are struggling with it. Some scenarios include it dipping into the Sinai peninsula before returning back north over the sea to affect southern Israel and Gaza. With infrastructure deficits in some of these regions heavy rains could prove to be hard hitting. But first will it appear at all.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status...117546496?s=09
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-10-2019, 16:58   #36
dsmythy

The Mediterranean this afternoon.

The cyclone is approaching the Egyptian coast. Wind gusts up to 50mph but the main story will be the rain with 4 inches expected to fall in its path. It may interact with desert environments too.

https://twitter.com/AarneGranlund/st...961979395?s=09
(4) thanks from:
25-10-2019, 23:46   #37
dsmythy

The storm has defied the models somewhat. It is currently further north than expected and may make landfall on the central Israeli coast. It's probably at the height of its power. Winds 35-40mph gusting to 50. Expected to weaken as it moves east. Some areas of Israel could record up to 8 inches of rain.

https://twitter.com/Medicane_Centre/...872886784?s=09
(4) thanks from:
26-10-2019, 21:49   #38
dsmythy

The storm ultimately made landfall in Sinai. It has since become a remnant low moving eastwards though heavy thunderstorms continue.

https://twitter.com/warning_center/s...818064386?s=09
(3) thanks from:
26-10-2019, 22:05   #39
tartetatin

East of the Israeli coast or maybe not?

Hi Dsmythy,
Thanks so much for your updates. I'm a weather fan, but no expert & appreciate the posts by such experts as yourself. The idea of an Israeli coast bothers me a bit however. Geographically-speaking (and this is probably how you are referring to the location) I can see on the map the area that you identify. Politically speaking however, this coastline, and the area to the east of it is a disputed territory. Don't wish to start a political polemic here as we're discussing the weather really, but I merely wanted to draw attention to some ahem, turbulence in the region.
Advertisement
27-10-2019, 13:54   #40
highdef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartetatin View Post
Hi Dsmythy,
Thanks so much for your updates. I'm a weather fan, but no expert & appreciate the posts by such experts as yourself. The idea of an Israeli coast bothers me a bit however. Geographically-speaking (and this is probably how you are referring to the location) I can see on the map the area that you identify. Politically speaking however, this coastline, and the area to the east of it is a disputed territory. Don't wish to start a political polemic here as we're discussing the weather really, but I merely wanted to draw attention to some ahem, turbulence in the region.
Being a weather forum with people of factual and scientific minds, the vast majority would consider any borders in a literal sense as in geographical rather than political *. Deciding on a border from a political point of view brings in an element of personal preference/opinion and therefore can lead to confusion.
I could just as easily say that Barcelona is not in Spain. Many people say that this is the case however the actual fact is that Barcelona IS in Spain.

In short, geography is pretty much definite fact and is difficult to get confused by. Politics is open to debate and personal points of view and therefore had no place in this forum.

* Of course, borders are pretty much political but I'm sure you all got my point.

Last edited by highdef; 27-10-2019 at 16:35.
(2) thanks from:
27-10-2019, 14:15   #41
dsmythy

Image from NASA on Friday

27-10-2019, 23:58   #42
tartetatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdef View Post
Being a weather forum with people of factual and scientific minds, the vast majority would consider any borders in a literal sense as in geographical rather than political *. Deciding on a border from a political point of view brings in an element of personal preference/opinion and therefore can lead to confusion.
I could just as easily say that Barcelona is not in Spain. Many people say that this is the case however the actual fact is that Barcelona IS in Spain.

In short, geography is pretty much definite fact and is difficult to get confused by. Politics is open to debate and personal points of view and therefore had no place in this forum.

* Of course, borders are pretty much political but I'm sure you all got my point.
Yes indeed highdef, you are so right. There is no place for personal opinion in science, and this is as it should be. Of course, scientific and geographical ‘facts’ are subject to change - take Pluto for example- some experts argue that it is not a planet. Some insist that it is still the ninth planet in our Solar System. What we call ‘scientific fact’ is in essence a theory which explains the data that we currently have.
You make an interesting point about Barcelona, but, for now, the Catalan people pay tax to Madrid.
Google maps (and indeed, a number of other maps) do not recognise the Palestinian state either. It is an interesting observation, because the majority of UN members recognise its ‘physical’ existence.
-as do the Palestinians!
It is very hard to discern tone and intention in an internet post. I am not a political crusader. I was referring to a cultural sensitivity.
The Irish don’t like Ireland to be considered a part of The British Isles (although this country is included as such in many maps).
In the same context, Palestine needs to be acknowledged when making reference to the Israeli coast because the Gaza Strip is there.

Last edited by tartetatin; 28-10-2019 at 08:04.
Thanks from:
12-11-2019, 13:39   #43
dsmythy

This short lived storm broke up on landfall in Algeria. 45 knot sustained winds achieved. Its remains are expected to be absorbed into a large area of developing low pressure expected to bring stormy seas throughout the central Med.

https://twitter.com/Medicane_Centre/...988498946?s=19

https://twitter.com/LucaLombroso/sta...139430400?s=09

Last edited by dsmythy; 12-11-2019 at 13:54.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion