Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus Changes to Improve City Center Journeys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind but Leo lives less than a 60 second walk from Coolmine train station from where he could get into Pearse station in about 25 minutes and then a 5 minute walk to work in Merrion St. Door to door it could be done in 30-35 minutes so if he spent 75 minutes in his chauffeur driven car then thats tough cookie when he has a perfectly acceptable alternative right on his doorstep.

Not a fan of Leo or his party but I don’t think having the Taoiseach get the train to work is a perfectly acceptable alternative. His car is going to have to be nearby given the need to travel on government business so he may as well be in it. Imagine the conversations he could need to be having with half the train listening.

I can see it now. Win the election, arrive up to the Aras and get presented with the seal of office and a leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

howiya wrote: »
    Not a fan of Leo or his party but I don’t think having the Taoiseach get the train to work is a perfectly acceptable alternative. His car is going to have to be nearby given the need to travel on government business so he may as well be in it. Imagine the conversations he could need to be having with half the train listening.

I can see it now. Win the election, arrive up to the Aras and get presented with the seal of office and a leap card.

Get em to the chopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭budgemook

Breezed through again this morning. Leo should get up and out a bit earlier in the morning :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

budgemook wrote: »
    Breezed through again this morning. Leo should get up and out a bit earlier in the morning :D

What time did you travel through? Carnage on D’Olier Street at the moment. 15 minutes to get from O’Connell Bridge to the end of D’Olier Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

What time did you travel through? Carnage on D’Olier Street at the moment. 15 minutes to get from O’Connell Bridge to the end of D’Olier Street.

Yup same here. Sitting there for ages on the 83 a bus that pointlessly goes to OCS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yup same here. Sitting there for ages on the 83 a bus that pointless goes to OCS

It was 20 minutes by the time I got past Trinity, from O’Connell Bridge.

I was passing at 8:25 or so. Before the changes it would have taken a good bit longer at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I doubt Leo's security staff would let him get on a train in rush hour alone. That's understandable, so the altermative is the tinted window car, but obviously that takes a lot longer, as should be expected, it's one of those things you give up when you're in such a position, along with a great % of your privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I was passing at 8:25 or so. Before the changes it would have taken a good bit longer at this time.

Seems like things have gotten a bit better if you go a bit earlier.

Seems like things have gotten a bit better if you go a bit earlier.

Would an idea be to remove the parking on the right D'oiler St and build a Bus stop platform?

Bus would drive up where the cars Park now, the platform would in the current right most traffic lane. So you'd have to driving lanes and 2 bus stopping lanes

The issue for me this morning was the bus took 5 minutes to pull across D'oiler St to get to the bus stop

• Advertisement

Would an idea be to remove the parking on the right D'oiler St and build a Bus stop platform?

Bus would drive up where the cars Park now, the platform would in the current right most traffic lane. So you'd have to driving lanes and 2 bus stopping lanes

The issue for me this morning was the bus took 5 minutes to pull across D'oiler St to get to the bus stop

Earlier is better so far but it's only a couple of days so cautious optimism.

Regarding the bus stop - I've been avoiding the 39 since the troubles began when possible, the 37 or 70 don't stop on D'Olier street.

Earlier is better so far but it's only a couple of days so cautious optimism.

Regarding the bus stop - I've been avoiding the 39 since the troubles began when possible, the 37 or 70 don't stop on D'Olier street.

Does the 39 / 39a even really need to stop on D'Olier Street? It's a 300m or so walk from the Bachelor's Walk stop to the D'Olier Street stop.

One of the major contributors to the problem on D'Olier Street is buses trying to cross from the right lane right across to the bus stop on the left lane, alongside cars having to cut across traffic to access Townsend Street. It's a mess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Does the 39 / 39a even really need to stop on D'Olier Street? It's a 300m or so walk from the Bachelor's Walk stop to the D'Olier Street stop.

One of the major contributors to the problem on D'Olier Street is buses trying to cross from the right lane right across to the bus stop on the left lane, alongside cars having to cut across traffic to access Townsend Street. It's a mess.

39A should, it is definitely used for passengers boarding. And it's too big a gap between Bachelor's Walk and Nassau St like the 25s and 66/67s.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Exactly how much time do you reckon it is losing because of this? Is it really that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tickityboo

The doors for disembarking and embarking are on the left hand side!!

Tickityboo wrote: »
    The doors for disembarking and embarking are on the left hand side!!

:confused:
    Yes as I said the bus would be in the lane where the parking is now and the "platform" would be in the current right most traffic lane aka left of the parking

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tickityboo

Yes as I said the bus would be in the lane where the parking is now and the "platform" would in the current right most traffic lane aka left of the parking

So you did!! Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes as I said the bus would be in the lane where the parking is now and the "platform" would be in the current right most traffic lane aka left of the parking

There were or are plans to change dolier street layout...

Stops were out further if I recall correctly.

devnull wrote: »
    Exactly how much time do you reckon it is losing because of this? Is it really that bad?

It all depends on whether the bus manages to get onto O'Connell Bridge in the left or right hand lane.

If its left then it's not too bad as it can go straight on up to the bus stop on D'Olier Street. If it's in the right hand lane and has to cross over left to the bus stop then you're looking at a 5 minute delay, at least. It's also holding up other vehicles behind it as it tries to cross over. Other buses will usually try and let a bus cross over, but I find other vehicles don't tend to yield to the buses.

Not having so much luck going home. 37 northbound decided to go down the left lane on Tara street which is madness really, that lane has been awful since the lights at the Rosie Hackett bridge went in. Most drivers either go down the middle lane and turn left onto the right lane of Burgh Quay or just continue over to the northside and come back over the RH. Not sure why the bus I'm on didn't do that - 30 mins to get to Aston Quay from Leeson St :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Not having so much luck going home. 37 northbound decided to go down the left lane on Tara street which is madness really, that lane has been awful since the lights at the Rosie Hackett bridge went in. Most drivers either go down the middle lane and turn left onto the right lane of Burgh Quay or just continue over to the northside and come back over the RH. Not sure why the bus I'm on didn't do that - 30 mins to get to Aston Quay from Leeson St :(

The Statutory Road Markings on Tara Street do not allow for a left turn from anything other than the inside lane.
    A €60 fine and 1 Penalty Point is enough to prevent Busdrivers generally acting the jinnet here.
    With the continuing inability of the Gardai to enforce any Road Traffic Legislation here,it should be turned over to automatic ANPR enforcement,remove the ban and instead simply charge €200 a pop to those who don't see why laws should apply to THEM ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Really ANPR should be being used for all traffic offences that it's feasible for rather than the light touch policing that we have here which allows people to get away with things or if the police do say anything, it's simply "don't do it again." for the same people to come back and do the same thing further down the road or the next day.

Question is though what would the Garda unions think of this? I'm guessing they will reject this on the basis that a machine is replacing work that a human would do?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Such an absolute disaster all told

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

City seemed worse today, Rosie Hackett bridge looked like a car park. Even the buses were trying to push their way through the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think DCC and TFI or whatever they are called, realise that the game is up now and something's got to give eventually.

I could be a cynic and say they allowed it to happen so they can justify the traffic management changes they were hinting at, ie. car and taxi banning etc.

It is really unacceptable that a silver tram taking a handful of people to the Northside has made the lives of many bus commuters totally miserable. I sympathise.

Does anyone know if passenger numbers from say SSG to Broombridge are published, or will be published anywhere? Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That Prime Time "race" was painful to watch. Kevin looked like he had never used the bus before. The whole idea of having to wait at a bus stop in the rain seemed like a novelty to him.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The Statutory Road Markings on Tara Street do not allow for a left turn from anything other than the inside lane.
    A €60 fine and 1 Penalty Point is enough to prevent Busdrivers generally acting the jinnet here.
    With the continuing inability of the Gardai to enforce any Road Traffic Legislation here,it should be turned over to automatic ANPR enforcement,remove the ban and instead simply charge €200 a pop to those who don't see why laws should apply to THEM ?

Tbh yesterday was the first time I saw a bus doing the left from the middle maneuver, normally it's over the bridge and back around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Maybe we should consider removing the 145 and 83 while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Taxis out of collage green. 24/7

Taxis and cycles out of bus lanes. And cycles segregated completely.

Places like Rathmines need to be fixed. The bus lane is simply a parking zone for shop owners.

From Georges street to Camden st needs to be double yellowed, and traffic wardens deployed. Taxi rank times are being ignored by taxis.

The revenue gathering exercise our current clampers do is not useful. What is the point of clamping a car on a side street in Ringsend for an expired ticket, when some womble has parked his truck outside Burdock chippy on Werburg st or a taxi has blocked a lane in Dame street to have breakfast in the Londis.

Its an absolute joke what goes on in our city. They spend millions on crap and dont enforce the existing rules..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

And cycles segregated completely.

totally pointless as they won't be used. Segregated lanes will be badly planned and built, lose priority at every junction, direct cyclist where they don't want to go and they'll just use the road instead, like most of the existing network.

Advertisement